Huntington Beach vs. Newport Beach

MadiMouse

Member of the 2011 WDW Moms Panel
I will be at DLR Sept 6-12 with my DH and DD (20 months) and we plan to do a beach day. Which is the best Beach and why? We are staying at HoJo's and we will have a rental car.

Thanks!:thumbsup2

I personally like huntington beach. Every time I try to go to newport beach it is insanely crowded and parking is hard to come by.

I have a little personal bias because I grew up in HB, but I also think Huntington is more accessible than Newport Beach. There are almost no buildings on the sand side of Pacific Coast Highway, so there's no trekking through neighborhoods or private alleys to get to the beach.
I believe parking is up to $10 last I heard; harder to find the closer you get to the pier and downtown.
I would get on the 5 freeway south and then the 55 South. When the 55 runs out, continue on the street it becomes (Newport Blvd.) until it dumps you on Pacific Coast Highway. Then turn right (north) to go to Huntington Beach (or left for Newport).
If you are nervous about the freeways, just head west on Katella until you hit Magnolia and drive straight south.
Unless you want to be downtown near the pier and the buzz down there, any of the state-beach entrances (at the first few stoplights heading north on PCH) have all the sand and surf you will need!
If you Google-map it, reset the route to go down the 5, otherwise it takes you kind of a strange route, IMO.

PHXscuba
"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":rolleyes:

Another vote here for Huntington beach, we just got back a few weeks ago and we were so impressed. The beach was clean and huge. The sand was soft and the water was warm. Parking wasn't too bad, we were there on a Saturday, we paid about $3 for a few hours, but it was so worth it. You park right near the beach, no walking through neighborhoods. Great place to people watch and see some surfers. They have a website I think, surfcity.com. Have fun :)

I have a little personal bias because I grew up in HB, but I also think Huntington is more accessible than Newport Beach. There are almost no buildings on the sand side of Pacific Coast Highway, so there's no trekking through neighborhoods or private alleys to get to the beach.
I believe parking is up to $10 last I heard; harder to find the closer you get to the pier and downtown.
I would get on the 5 freeway south and then the 55 South. When the 55 runs out, continue on the street it becomes (Newport Blvd.) until it dumps you on Pacific Coast Highway. Then turn right (north) to go to Huntington Beach (or left for Newport).
If you are nervous about the freeways, just head west on Katella until you hit Magnolia and drive straight south.
Unless you want to be downtown near the pier and the buzz down there, any of the state-beach entrances (at the first few stoplights heading north on PCH) have all the sand and surf you will need!
If you Google-map it, reset the route to go down the 5, otherwise it takes you kind of a strange route, IMO.

PHXscuba
"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":rolleyes:

Thanks!! :goodvibes

Another vote here for Huntington beach, we just got back a few weeks ago and we were so impressed. The beach was clean and huge. The sand was soft and the water was warm. Parking wasn't too bad, we were there on a Saturday, we paid about $3 for a few hours, but it was so worth it. You park right near the beach, no walking through neighborhoods. Great place to people watch and see some surfers. They have a website I think, surfcity.com. Have fun :)

Thanks!!:goodvibes

Thanks. Is it easy to get to as far as directions from the DLR area?

Not too bad at all really. I take Harbor Blvd to Adams and then turn right. Turn left at Beach Blvd and then you're there! It's quite easy even without the freeways!

My vote is for Huntington, too. While you are there, walk out to the end of the pier and have lunch (or dinner) at Ruby's. It is a beautiful view and great food! Have fun!!! :cheer2:

Another vote for Huntington. The beach is beautiful and their downtown district is right there. I certainly don't find the water warm, though!!!

Corona del Mar State Beach beats both Huntington and Newport.

Head south on the 5 to the 55 and when you reach Coast highway, turn left and drive through Newport Beach. When you reach Marguerite Ave, make a right. Drive a few blocks to Ocean Ave, make a right and the parking lot for the beach is on your left. There 's a beach, a jetty and a great little cove on the right side on the bay you can reach by climbing over the rock formation called China Cove.

There's also a Ruby's cafe on the way (Coast Highway at Avocado Ave - a few blocks before Marguerite) great for lunch or dinner.

My vote is for Huntington, too. While you are there, walk out to the end of the pier and have lunch (or dinner) at Ruby's. It is a beautiful view and great food! Have fun!!! :cheer2:

Thanks! I am so excited. I love to eat! :goodvibes
Another vote for Huntington. The beach is beautiful and their downtown district is right there. I certainly don't find the water warm, though!!!

I cannot wait to go now! :goodvibes
Corona del Mar State Beach beats both Huntington and Newport.

Head south on the 5 to the 55 and when you reach Coast highway, turn left and drive through Newport Beach. When you reach Marguerite Ave, make a right. Drive a few blocks to Ocean Ave, make a right and the parking lot for the beach is on your left. There 's a beach, a jetty and a great little cove on the right side on the bay you can reach by climbing over the rock formation called China Cove.

There's also a Ruby's cafe on the way (Coast Highway at Avocado Ave - a few blocks before Marguerite) great for lunch or dinner.

:thumbsup2 Great information!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter