Hurricane Hillary headups- Sunday 8/20

The extent of tropical storm force winds (and other impacts of the storm) will be well beyond the cone.
And the impact of these winds on buildings and infrastructures that were not built to withstand them.

And the impact of these winds on buildings and infrastructures that were not built to withstand them.
Personally I'd be more worried about the rains and potential flash flooding. The LA basin routinely has high wind events, including the Santa Ana winds which often exceed tropical storm force winds and have been recorded with gusts as high as 167 mph.

They're built to withstand earthquakes and Santa Ana winds, so I'm not really worried about that. Flash floods and mudslides are a bigger concern, and I'm especially concerned about the hillside settlements across the border in Mexico, and the desert communities.

From NJ - visiting San Diego and Disneyland this week. We are very familiar with hurricanes and tropical storms. The news coverage and warnings can be crazy, but I am surprised at the lack of preparation here in SD. Most boats are still in the water. None of the Marina hotels have sandbags out. None of the windows are taped or boarded. We did go to the rescheduled Padres game today - that seems to be the only change here. I am hoping it’s a good sign that the locals aren’t too concerned. We are driving up to Disneyland Monday for a few days and I expect roads will be better in the afternoon.

From NJ - visiting San Diego and Disneyland this week. We are very familiar with hurricanes and tropical storms. The news coverage and warnings can be crazy, but I am surprised at the lack of preparation here in SD. Most boats are still in the water. None of the Marina hotels have sandbags out. None of the windows are taped or boarded. We did go to the rescheduled Padres game today - that seems to be the only change here. I am hoping it’s a good sign that the locals aren’t too concerned. We are driving up to Disneyland Monday for a few days and I expect roads will be better in the afternoon.
Well, some of the locals in San Diego are concerned:

https://www.kpbs.org/news/military/...n-diego-ships-ahead-of-rare-pacific-hurricane

I just found out that there's a half-marathon scheduled for San Diego on Sunday. Last news from the organizers was that they're still planning on going ahead with it.

The boats will remain … we have a sailboat and we just made sure the hatches were all closed. People right on the beach are boarding up but elsewhere they really won’t.

SeaWorld just announced they will be closed tomorrow (Sunday, 8/20).

The ocean temps dropped considerablly since last week. Cold water temps and land will slow this storm down. It’s currently a category 2 (dropped from category 4 yesterday). I live about 6 miles inland and the only thing I’m slightly concerned about is these power outages they say are coming.

The boats will remain … people right on the beach are boarding up but elsewhere they really won’t.

The ocean temps dropped considerablly since last week. Cold water temps and land will slow this storm down. It’s currently a category 2 (dropped from category 4 yesterday). I live about 6 miles inland and the only thing I’m slightly concerned about is these power outages they say are coming.
Power outages are no joke. We had no power for 5 days after Sandy and we were lucky.

The boats will remain … we have a sailboat and we just made sure the hatches were all closed. People right on the beach are boarding up but elsewhere they really won’t.

We usually pull boats out of the water at the Jersey shore. There are so many beautiful boats wide open here.

Locals aren’t preparing and aren’t too concerned because this is the first tropical storm to make landfall here in almost 100 years and we wouldn’t know what to do even if we wanted to prepare. And we’ve had quite a few storm surge, flash flood, and tsunami warnings over the years in the city of San Diego that haven’t ever panned out to be as bad as the warnings, so we’ve been trained to ignore them. There’s nowhere to put boats if they’re pulled out of the water, the weather is nice year-round here so boats stay in the water year-round. It never occurred to me to tape or board anything. We brought in our outdoor cushions, took down our shade sails in the backyard, and laid all of our outdoor heaters in their sides.

I have tickets to a concert at the outdoor amphitheater at San Diego State tomorrow night and the show is still going. I’m sitting in a hair salon right now getting my hair done and we just now finally got an emergency broadcast alert. Kind of a bit late if it was meant to tell people to prepare for the storm. All my friends are kind of like, “What are ya gonna do? It’s going to rain.” 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Locals aren’t preparing because we don’t know what to do. And we’ve had quite a few storm surge, flash flood, and tsunami warnings over the years in the city of San Diego that haven’t ever panned out to be as bad as the warnings, so we’ve been trained to ignore them. It never occurred to me to tape or board anything. We brought in our outdoor cushions and took down our shade sails in the backyard.

Along those lines, we have one person on this thread who says, "Anaheim should not have it too horrible" while another is surprised at the lack of preparation.

Catalina Island and several mountain communities have been evacuated. Grocery stores are running out of non perishable foods. Officials are closing beaches and state parks. They are urging people to stay off the roads. Yet a SDSU concert, half marathon and CHOC are all still happening.

The last tropical storm in California was in 1939. It is not like we've been through this before. I think most people are trying to do what they can to be safe, but it is difficult to know who to listen to.

The last tropical storm in California was in 1939. It is not like we've been through this before. I think most people are trying to do what they can to be safe, but it is difficult to know who to listen to.
Listen to those who have been through major-to-middling rain events in SoCal. A couple of hours of steady rain will put Aviation Blvd/Rosecrans Ave under two feet of water. Even less rain will bring the LA freeways to a dead stop. A mudslide will take out PCH in the Malibu area. Several people will slip into the rivers and drown. And on and on...

Don't mess with this storm. Stay put.

From the latest Tropical Storm Warning for Anaheim/SoCal:
- THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY THAT INCLUDES TYPICAL FORECAST UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for major flooding rain - The flooding rain threat has remained nearly steady from the previous assessment. - PLAN: Emergency plans should include the potential for major flooding from heavy rain. Evacuations and rescues are likely. - PREPARE: Strongly consider protective actions, especially if you are in an area vulnerable to flooding. - ACT: Heed any flood watches and warnings. Failure to take action will likely result in serious injury or loss of life.

Where do they put them? We wouldn’t have anywhere to put our boat even if we wanted to pull it out.
Marinas will stack them (looks like bunk beds) or people will trailer them. There are some really big yachts in the water here tho’. Most boats at home are not as big.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter