Hurricane Irma- Now a tropical depression

we are in northern broward county - out west in coral springs - wind gusts at times, tornado warning (lots of tornadoes earlier today), some rain. waiting for the big part of the storm to come through tomorrow morning. oh, and to top it all off - today is my 22nd wedding anniversary. so much for our plans for today, lol.

This Anniversary will be one always remembered. Wishing you well, and many, many, happier anniversaries. :flower3:

we are in northern broward county - out west in coral springs - wind gusts at times, tornado warning (lots of tornadoes earlier today), some rain. waiting for the big part of the storm to come through tomorrow morning. oh, and to top it all off - today is my 22nd wedding anniversary. so much for our plans for today, lol.

I wish it was under better circumstances, but happy anniversary!

My parents 50th wedding anniversary is tomorrow, 9/11. They are worried also as their house is next to the Sanibel causeway.

I'm glad they have a good sense of humor as they have been joking about wishing they had chosen a different day to get married.

I wish it was under better circumstances, but happy anniversary!

My parents 50th wedding anniversary is tomorrow, 9/11. They are worried also as their house is next to the Sanibel causeway.

I'm glad they have a good sense of humor as they have been joking about wishing they had chosen a different day to get married.

Tomorrow is my SoIL#2's birthday. He doesn't celebrate anymore, now that he's an adult and can opt out.
I have a similar issue. My birthday is 4/20. Lots of issues with that day...

:hug: Take care, Stay Safe! We are all thinking collectively of everyone.

First construction crane collapse in Miami:

hurricane-irma-crane-ap-jt-170910_v4x3_31x13_992.jpg

131 mph wind gusts in Naples.

image from Marco Island Police where Irma came made a 2nd landfall:
Their Emergency Operations Center tweeted about an hour ago for people to move to their second floor if possible

DJY1qpKX0AIjl48.jpg:large

I've been watching the weather channel all day. I really don't need to see their weather reporters outside in the middle of this. I can get the same idea just by watching the video, and it would be less stressful for everyone involved (IMO). I have visions of Mike falling and getting swept away, or objects knocking him out!!

We heard from a neighbor. He is out of town thankfully, but for bad news his front door alarm was triggered. I feel bad for the guy if his front door is open and all the wind and rain is entering the house. That will be serious damage.

I've been watching the weather channel all day. I really don't need to see their weather reporters outside in the middle of this. I can get the same idea just by watching the video, and it would be less stressful for everyone involved (IMO). I have visions of Mike falling and getting swept away, or objects knocking him out!!

I totally agree. I have been saying that to my husband all day. Its not worth their lives to be standing in 70 + mph winds, pouring rain, etc to give us reports on what is going on. Jim Cantore looks like he's in SWAT gear for pete's sake. Get indoors somewhere safe until it dies down a little bit.

I totally agree. I have been saying that to my husband all day. Its not worth their lives to be standing in 70 + mph winds, pouring rain, etc to give us reports on what is going on. Jim Cantore looks like he's in SWAT gear for pete's sake. Get indoors somewhere safe until it dies down a little bit.
They have been on the air for over 48 hours live. It is getting to the point, where they feel, things are not as bad as we thought,but just you wait, but tornadoes are now the serious threat, the storm surge will be terrible. Now most of Florida is without power, most cannot even see The Weather Channel.

We heard on the phone from a neighbor. The eye of the hurricane just clipped our neighborhood. So far everything looks good. A few palm fronds are down, a few leaks discovered in the house, and all the water has blown out of the ocean near his home. Overall few things to complain about.

Now the storm surge is expected to flow into the area. I've been told tide is just going down. Hope that helps keep the surge manageable.

Same here on and off, and I agree. I'm 75 mins. from Toronto, and one of my hometown (45 mins. from Toronto) weather reporters was reporting from Miami, and was caught in the evacuation traffic. Last report he, and his crew were in Alabama. In my opinion he was one vehicle carrying three employees that should not have been there.

Channel 9 in Orlando just reported that the main entrance sign to Animal Kingdom just got blown down. Anyone else hear this?

Last edited:
Good news on the projected storm surge. Officially, the surge is now expected to be less. Instead of 10' now 3 to 6' possible. Fingers crossed no major water damage happens.

Channel 9 in Orlando is showing the eye moving inland as it goes due north. They say there will be hurricane force winds in Orlando overnight. They also said there is an increasing risk of tornadoes. Lastly, they said there are extensive power outages in Orlando.

Channel 9 in Orlando is showing the eye moving inland as it goes due north. They say there will be hurricane force winds in Orlando overnight. They also said there is an increasing risk of tornadoes. Lastly, they said there are extensive power outages in Orlando.

I still have power in Orlando but we were watching transformers being blown out in the distance from our window.

I have a relative who had to evacuate Iin Sarasota she is realistic that her mobile home will be gone.

I still have power in Orlando but we were watching transformers being blown out in the distance from our window.
That happened to the transformer in front of my grandparents' home here despite only getting a bit of it. Their home and their neighbor almost caught on fire when the lines lit up.

Hearing all the reports is so heartbreaking. I don't usually get this emotional (I am not heartless just usually try to keep it together), but this is the first time I have ever felt this bad about what is going on around us. Praying for everyone who is still going through this nightmare and are still yet to go through it. :sad2::sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter