on the third feeder band we lost power...Hello!!!!! But thank you OUC we got it back on after about an hr....We saw them go down the street...and we were like Woo Hoo....but it is going to be a long couple of days...

I heard that press conference on the radio...and what a stupid question....I just watched some poor guy try to save his multi million dollar yatch on CNN he made it....but the storm isn't even here yet....this is just a teaser of what is to come...we just need to stay calm :crazy: and stay in...

Hang in there Linnie....and that is a good idea having your son track the storm.. and we will continue to post while we have power too..

Donna, that guy was hired to "babysit" that yacht. That wasn't even the ocean!! It was the Intercoastal!!!!!!!!! He managed to get it moored.

We're starting to go a little stir crazy here. The eye isn't suppose to be here till tonight and then we've got the back end of the storm all day tomorrow according to the news.

I stuck my head outside twice so far. First time was a lull. My car's still in the driveway but our porch shade is toast. The second time, was scary. Was able to hold onto the front door, but I watched a neighbors tree split in half and land on a neighbors driveway. Thankfully their car was on the other side.

We are counting our blessings we still have power. 70% of Palm Beach County is without.

TTFN, will check in later if power still working.

now talking tornado warnings....will the insanity ever end?

At least it is now moving again, 5mph...better than stationary!

We had a flicker of the lights, but they are still on. I quick cooked the chicken fahitas before I lost the electric stove (boy do I miss my Philly gas stove!). At least this way we have chicken salads tomorrow with the left over chicken!

The weird thing, because it is just a big swirl, you have a storm band now, and soon enough it spins around again and gives you another wallop!

I think I am going to lose my hibiscus tree.....it gotten beaten up by the few winds we had already and is out there tilting. Ray said, "We will just buy a new one, it was an ugly tree anyway!". I do agree, it was a sad looking specimen!

Haven't seen a post by Donna in a good bit, makes me wonder if her electric is out. Orange Cty seems to having some problems with that at this point. Hope they are doing okay, along with all our other Dis'er pals in Central Florida.

Calm here now, slight wind but no rain, sun is even shining slightly.

Expected 'worst' is to come near dawn tomorrow.

Just talked to my Dad in PA, told him we are just in the "hurry up and wait" mode.

We did lose our power for awhile, but it is back...thank God....No I just pooped out....I didn't sleep last night..too wired, and I grabbed a nap while it was still not tooooooo bad...

Robin....I have been watching all the channels and you guys have gotten it pretty bad all day down there....it just started here around 11:30 this am...and they have been pretty consistant...

there has already been quite a bit of damage up here...I just heard that Bob and June lost their back porch...they are in Avon Park near Lake Wales...there are quite a few areas that have no power all ready....I just hope we hold on to ours for a little longer..

The "ride out" crew at Disney has been put up in PI at Motions ..they came w/ their air mattresses, and sleeping bags and are "hunkering down" they are being fed very well from what I hear...they will be responsible for taking care of things when ..or I should say...whenever this thing blows through...

Linnie...you hang in there...you will get a nicer tree...I'm thinking of what I want to put out there my self...something hurricane proof...

They just showed a video of a surfer jumping off of one the piers w/ his surf board....Are these people NUTS!!!!!!!!

Thank you ladies for giving us up-to-date reports as the day goes by. I've talked to my cousin in Orlando several times todya - she is so bored. I told her she better like the person she is with (her 24 year old son) because it is going to be a long several days :). Another friend sent some photos she took this afternoon in her neighborhood in the Orlando area.

Plus I've been watching TV on & off all day. I watched the guy who is "babysitting" the yacht. He seemed to take it all in stride. I heard a report this evening about police being taken off the barrier islands for their own safety. Then they were getting phone calls from people near the ocean saying they were scared & asking to be taken to the shelters. Apparently the authorities said no they were not risking their own lives. Good for the police! Where the heck have these folks been the past week or so? Lynnie, almost as stupid as asking the governor if all this prep was necessary.

You all stay safe. You are in my thoughts & prayers.

If the people they are rescuing are the same jerks that have been on TV saying..."Nope I'm not leaving...it is my right to stay, and I'm stayin" etc.....

You want to smack them....our sherriff here sent a warning at his briefing..telling anyone who wants to stay in mobile homes, or areas where they have been told to evacuate.. when the police went to their homes, to give them the names of their next of kin, and a copy of their will so they could contact them after they were missing...

I thought is was well said... Well the eyewall is now hitting down near West Palm Beach...they told us that our worst times will be between 2-5....

Keep posted.. news at 11.....

Originally posted by GotAnyPins
....our sherriff here sent a warning at his briefing..telling anyone who wants to stay in mobile homes, or areas where they have been told to evacuate.. when the police went to their homes, to give them the names of their next of kin, and a copy of their will so they could contact them after they were missing...

I thought is was well said... Well the eyewall is now hitting down near West Palm Beach...they told us that our worst times will be between 2-5....

Keep posted.. news at 11.....

Donna, I heard that report about the sheriff, too. You are right ... well said. God only knows what the sheriff really wanted to say to these people.

I was on the phone with my cousin in Orlando for news at 11. She didn't know if she should try to sleep or not since the eye would approach in the early hours.

Late night Pixie Dust for Donna, Ed, Lynnie, RobIn, June, and all our other DIS pals and families riding out the storm!

<i>Beyond Belief:</i> My brother and his family (from New Jersey!) are down there with you guys, riding out Frances at the Marriott Sabal Palms (adjacent to the Marriott World Center). We had hoped to have our trips coincide, but his kids' school and the Family Pingathering did not match up. :( So they spent last weekend with my SIL's family in Ft. Lauderdale, and then came up to Orlando for the week. Let's just say, their vacation has not gone exactly as planned. :earseek: Altough, Jeff said they had a blast at the parks on Thursday because it was totally empty and they went on everything over and over with no lines! ::yes::

I talked to him last night. They stocked up, just like the locals, since they had no way to get home anyway. The Sabal Palms is part of the Marriott Vacation Club, and is set up pretty much like DVC. (We also stay at the Sabal Palms.) The Marriott staff told them that they did not lose power during Charley -- so maybe the World Center has it's own power, like WDW does??? They were going to continue "vacationing" until whenever today's weather finally forced them indoors.

My niece (almost 12) and nephew (7 1/2) think it's quite an adventure. :rolleyes:

Hope to hear more from you guys, so we know you're all still OK. :hyper2:

We got lucky down here in Weston, we just have a few trees down. We did not lose power for a change, our community always used to lose power but FPL upgraded all their substations and transformers out here and glad to report they worked well!!!!! Just getting winds and little rain!
I know it's dragging, "not Ed's kind of drag", and that's making it exhausting for people staying in shelters!!!

Checking in.
We are doing great here so far. A few small neighbor's trees are laying flat. They were not tied down. And now they are facing the owner's house. Hopefully if they are airborne they hot their own homes! :tongue:
This hurricane is hitting the backside of our house again, although it is coming from a different direction than Charlie.
We are expecting rain and stronmg winds for another day. :p

Our newspaper was deleivered this morning!! NOW THAT is deligence!

Those without power are at 32,000 now. And too windy to repair. of course.

We are in 50 - 60 mph gusts now.

We are all boarded up and hunkering down!

:wave2:

Luv2Roam, glad you checked in.....I was worried about you! I believe you are about 20 minutes (I can't do miles, I am from Philly!) east of me.

Very windy here today...imagine that! :tongue:

Misty rain, and wind gusts. Was able to potty the dog before the wind picked up, so she was happy.

Will keep you posted!

Aren't those idiots amazing? "Yo Dude gonna ride it out, you only live once, got my ice and beer!". then 12 hours later......"Utoh save me!". Sorry dude that one life you spoke of? You risked it and now you have to just deal.

MSNBS is reporting 1 million people without power across the state.

Hope you all stay safe!!!

JudySue and I are doing fine, except for cabin fever. She won't let me go across the streeet to Denny's for breakfast (they never close!). She also told me not to complain to the Sentinel about no paper being delivered this morning; no fun at all.

I saw on the TV last night some guy actually went out into the ocean to go surfing and did survive.

Anyway, we still have power and the cable works. I am worried about the people who host my domain, they are in Melboune. I use cfl.rr for everything except mail.

Originally posted by Cheshire Figment
JudySue and I are doing fine, except for cabin fever.

I think everyone shares your cabin fever!

Originally posted by Cheshire Figment
She also told me not to complain to the Sentinel about no paper being delivered this morning; no fun at all.

See Barb's note ... maybe she got your newspaper!

On a serious note I am glad you all are checking in. When my husband woke up he knew I had been watching the TV & asked if people had posted anything yet this morning.

We just happened to see part of a shopping center roof blow away.
Our front door faces south and is inset allowing for protection.
We thought at first it was KMart. But I think it may be Big Lots.
Either way, I am sure all those store roofs are in major need of repair now.
We keep thinking we will lose power. So far okay. But they say the worse is yet to come! :eek:
Signing off for now.