Hurricane watch 2018

I think it's great to hear so many of you are braving September this year after having a run in with Irma last year. You guys are parks fans for sure.

We chose September this year because last year the boards were full of posters saying "never again". :)

I keep eyeballing different weather apps. Along with the more recommended sources from this thread. The rain chances for September 5-10 don’t seem quite as bad as I’d thought, according to Accuweather.

Well between you and me (we just spent $5k on shutters) we should be ok.
Our shutters and hurricane proof windows and door won't be installed until October. So Sept may be a little rough. But after they are installed, it will be years before we get hit again. I live on Marco Island where Irma made landfall on Sept 10, 2017. We actually had power and satellite television when we returned from our evacuation to Georgia five days after the hurricane hit. Had to dump all the food in the refrigerator when we got back, but everything was intact. Minorish damage (roof shingles missing, pool cage screening gone) was all we had. Our son in Miami (he also evacuated to Georgia) got back to Miami about three days after the hurricane and he had no power for several days afterwards.

Our brand new roof (Miami-Dade specifications) should be good this year. Pool cage would have to be replaced once again. And if one does hit before we get the new windows, door and shutters installed, we should be at the top of the list to get them installed since they are ordered and half paid for.

Last edited:
One tip as a regular WDW resort guest to pass on: don't stay in a ground level room at a WDW resort when anticipating heavy rain bands before or after a hurricane. Two years ago, I watched rain pool and creep up and into ground floor rooms in the days leading up to the hurricane. I flew out a few days before the storm, but won't forget looking out my 3rd floor window at AS Sports, and watching a lake form below me. While those staying in Deluxe or Mod may think this won't happen to me, it matters less how much you paid for your room and more the landscaping around the building. Never too late to ask to change your room when you check in. Of course, many guests may have little choice but to select ground level if mobility and health is an issue. But if you have a choice, think twice and opt for a higher level room.

Must have missed it last year but guest service during Irma was among the best Disney has ever been. I think they learned their lesson from the year before.
This^ ! Besides empty parks, the best part of our trip last year was the 2 days in the Contemporary. Dance parities for the kids, Free arcade, All food was half price at Chef Mickey's and The Wave. The CM's were awesome! The whole resort staff went above and beyond.

One tip as a regular WDW resort guest to pass on: don't stay in a ground level room at a WDW resort when anticipating heavy rain bands before or after a hurricane. Two years ago, I watched rain pool and creep up and into ground floor rooms in the days leading up to the hurricane. I flew out a few days before the storm, but won't forget looking out my 3rd floor window at AS Sports, and watching a lake form below me. While those staying in Deluxe or Mod may think this won't happen to me, it matters less how much you paid for your room and more the landscaping around the building. Never too late to ask to change your room when you check in. Of course, many guests may have little choice but to select ground level if mobility and health is an issue. But if you have a choice, think twice and opt for a higher level room.

Yikes! So hotel rooms actually flooded? I've dealt with flooding twice in my apartment...it would be a nightmare to have it happen on a WDW vacation.

So just a very high likelihood of a tropical storm formation? That doesn’t sound terrible. But I don’t know.

Yeah doesn’t seem too terrible at all. Maybe a little extra rain. No Irma this year.

Last edited:
I cannot believe how many people had their trips cancelled or re-scheduled due to Irma last year and are flying out the exact same week this year! I thought I was the only crazy one ;) Last year we were supposed to fly in Sept. 10th (the day Irma hit). On September 7th, I was on hold with Disney FOREVER to have my reservation moved back a week from the original date and to have a supervisor manually transfer the Free Dining promotion to my new reservation. It was so stressful!

We have Free Dining again this year and our dates are Sept. 9th-14th. Hoping we don't have a repeat like last year!

The South East MIGHT and i say MIGHT have to be on the watch-out for another storm around Sept 15-20

As we all know things change EVERY DAY!!!

Slightly off topic, but can someone explain why "Potential Tropical Cyclone SEVEN" is referred to as a "cyclone".
As an Aussie I am very familiar with cyclones but I know that hurricane is the term used in that part of the world.
I'm a bit confused.

Slightly off topic, but can someone explain why "Potential Tropical Cyclone SEVEN" is referred to as a "cyclone".
As an Aussie I am very familiar with cyclones but I know that hurricane is the term used in that part of the world.
I'm a bit confused.

The US National Hurricane Center (which is responsible for the tracking of storms in the North Atlantic and North Pacific basins) uses "potential tropical cyclone" as a generic term, before a system has developed and its strength is known.

Once the system develops, the terminology used depends on storm strength: "tropical depression", "tropical storm", and "hurricane" in ascending order based on strength. The system currently being tracked as Potential Tropical Cyclone 7 will likely become Tropical Depression 7 at some point overnight or tomorrow, then intensify and become Tropical Storm Gordon once it reaches the Gulf.

What do people put into accuweather to get best weather forecast results? Doesn’t always work when I put Walt Disney World. Suggestions?

Ooh boy. We fly in on 9/12, at WDW for a couple days, head out on a B2B Dream cruise 9/14-9/21 and then back to WDW 9/21-9/24. Might be an adventure!

What do people put into accuweather to get best weather forecast results? Doesn’t always work when I put Walt Disney World. Suggestions?
I don't use Accuweather specifically (and generally don't recommend apps of that type), but either Lake Buena Vista, FL or Bay Lake, FL should give results in whatever weather app or website you're using (they're the two municipalities that make up Disney's property).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter