• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"I am NOT a Runner"...Training for a 1/2 Marathon

Sorry for the lag...

To get this up to speed, I have maxed out my mileage in preparation for the race. I said that I will not go more than 12 miles before the race because I want this to be my best time ever and if it is the first time I go 13 miles, then it is guaranteed to be the best:thumbsup2.

I have settled on the 8/4 interval, but I flipped it around. I walk for 4 minutes, then run for 8. Yesterday, I went out with the intention of going 10 miles. I was going to try using my "short-distance" shoes since they are lighter. I've never gone more than 5 miles in them...now I know why:headache:. By mile 5, I could no longer feel any support, my feet were sliding around inside the shoe, and my ankles felt like they were really collapsing inward. So, they will go back into the closet to be used for my short runs only. I also tried a 9/3 interval too. I liked it (until my shoe issue kicked in) so I am going to try it again on tomorrow's run.

I have decided that I really like the intervals and I see no need to push myself into running for more prolonged time or distance. On my 12-mile run, I was under a 12-minute mile pace for the first 7 miles. That is the same (possible faster) pace that I maintain when I run the entire time. My pace without the walking intervals is almost the same, but I usually feel exhausted and crummy, both during and after the run. If I can have the same (or better) time AND feel better doing it, then that's what I am going to do. Right now, my training goal is simply to be able to get through 10-12 miles, comfortably, at least once a week. My "short" runs are still 3-5 miles and I try to get out and run 3 days a week.

I still need to lose some weight. I have about 8 pounds that just won't go away. I think my voracious appetite has a lot to do with it. The late-night benders have to stop...soon! I also really need to get going on a formal strength training program. I do a lot of lifting and squatting at work so I do get some strength work in each week.

I'm heading off to work now...maybe if the weather is nice, I will try to squeeze in a short run after work to get my legs loosened back up. No pain today, but yesterday was no fun:sick:. I stretched, iced, and used some Tylenol and today, all feels pretty good:thumbsup2.

I just completed my final 5K of the year yesterday. I've also now got THREE 12-mile runs under my belt. Between now and race day, I am hoping to get two more runs of 11-12 miles in. I've been doing pretty good at running at least three times a week and I am encouraged with each one. My short runs are getting easy...I can't believe that I now consider a "short" run to be 3.5 miles:lmao:. I still get uncomfortable around mile 9 in my longer runs...my feet feel like concrete, my knees don't want to bend and my hips ache...but if I stop and stretch a little, it helps quite a bit. I also know that at the race, those last 3 miles are through the Studios, Boardwalk and Epcot so I will have a good reason to slow down and walk if I need to. According to my Nike+ app, I've run over 30 runs and my overall average pace is right around 12:30 so I should have no problem finishing the race:banana:.

I need to shift gears soon and get into the VACATION preparation phase. I haven't even done a single practice pack yet:lmao:. Usually, by this time, I've packed and re-packed several different times. Now, I don't even know what I am going to bring! I know for certain that I cannot wait until the day before because I have to work a 12-hour shift the day before we leave.

I think I will go and haul out the luggage now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter