I don't get it

So so sorry to hear about your loss.

My mom never had a dog growing up, but my dad did. He knew someone whose dog had puppies and wound up bringing one home. Mom fell in love so fast, it was a black mini poodle. My mom commented the white tea cup poodles were so cute. Two years later, he brought one home and these were my moms “girls”. I was about 10 with the first dog and it was awesome to have a dog(s).

My DS wanted a dog, DH & I were not to keen on having a dog, even though we both grew up with dogs and loved them. We just had a lot going on in our life and didn’t want to add to it. However, we were driving down a dirt road near us and found a lost dog. Tried to find the owner but nothing. We kept him and loved him, even getting a 2nd dog from the shelter. We gave them a loving home until they passed. Our lives were changed forever with our boys.

<<hugs>> I'd say you DO get it. There's nothing like the unconditional love and support from a pet.

We had two cocker spaniels - one when we first got married and another while the kids were little and the first was older (thought we'd "ease" the transition for them). Then we went 5 years without one. Kids are grown and gone.

We got a quarantine puppy three years ago -- a cockapoo, and the first female we've had. I thought I'd loved the others, but this is different. She's bonded with DH and me in a way we've never known.

:hug:

So sorry for your loss. We're a Golden family as well. The little stinkers steal your hearts and then break them when the leave us. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Hugs to you and your family.

@Lori74, your thoughts and words were like captivating poetry to me. Your words painted a 9 year portrait of fear, scepticism, acceptance, mutual learning, love, separation, sadness. A dog family here, though not currently. I understand. Like you, I get it also.

Best wishes for your son, you, your family. Know well, Lori, Nala will be there for your son, you, your family. She will be there, at the Bridge, playing, waiting......

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge, together....

Author unknown...

www.petloss.com

Thank you Dan, you always have kind words for everybody. This actually had me in tears and I love it, thank you so much for sharing. What a thought to get to hold her again. wow, what a thought...

I totally get it! I chose to give your post a “love” rather than a ”sad” emoji, because, in a way, it signifies the long period of time we have with them full of love and joy, as opposed to those last relatively few days of sorrow when they become old and sick and have to leave us. But it was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I am so glad you were able to overcome your hesitations and get a great dog for your family. A golden retriever was a really smart choice for your first dog. I see his pic in your signature and he was beautiful. 💔 I am sorry your son was bitten, but you were so smart and brave to help him with his fears the way you did. I know a few people who are the way you first described. I will include a quote from veterinarian Dr. Pol at the end of this post if I can find it.

I currently live with dogs #7 and 8 in my life. One will be ten this year, and I am starting to see signs of aging. 🥲 He is the first little dog I‘ve ever had, and he is my little buddy. The other is a rescue we were told was 8 yrs old, but turned out to be much younger and more puppy-like with lots of energy. I am still not over the loss of the dog I had before them, she was my girl and I can’t even think about her without welling up. I also wrote a story like this here when I lost her. It helps.

View attachment 760861
Thank you for sharing! That is really neat. It sure did help my son. He is now in college and loves dogs. She healed us in so many ways.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Today is the 4 year anniversary of our girl dog having to be put down. Our other good boy passed away in 2017. They were both wonderful but sometimes you have an extra special one, our girl thought she was my kids' other mom and I had a very hard time with her loss. We had both of them before we had the kids and they were there with us through a lot of life changes -- 3 houses, 3 kids.

Then my daughter was mauled by one of our foster dogs when she was 6 years old, only 3 months after our dog passed away. She was completely mortified of all dogs from hundreds of feet away after that. I knew I did not want her to live with this fear forever after having grown up with dogs. So we re-introduced dog life with a small breed, non-threatening Havanese. She's 3 years old now and then we added another Havanese male back in the fall. Combined with seeing a therapist, having the dogs back in her life really helped to heal her and she is back to comfort with all dogs. So I think getting Nala was absolutely the right move for your family. And apparently opened something within you that you didn't know about!

I am sorry that you have lost your dear Nala. You have obviously been blessed by her in her short life. Dogs show us what unconditional love is.

Beautiful story--honestly so great it needs to be published!

I'm sorry you lost Nala but so happy that you were able to discover the joy of dogs.

My parents (well really, MY MOTHER) would never let me have a dog growing up. I think she just didn't want the hassle, but even without ever having a dog, I was a huge dog lover. I was constantly visiting neighbors who had dogs and just hanging with their dogs (we had a chocolate lab next door--Chestnut--and a Collie in the back--Duchess) and I will never forget them. I spent tons of time just hugging them or having them over.

As soon as I got out of the house, I got my own dog and have had one ever since. I've seen 5 dogs over the Rainbow Bridge (Dusty, Whitney, Windy, Lola, and Paisley) and have two more with me now (Ginger and Myrtle). I'm starting to get to the point that I worry in my old age, I won't be able to have or manage a dog, so in another 10 years or so, I'm going to change over to adopting seniors--those that are probably the hardest to adopt out.

Anyone who has had a pet feels your heartache. That unconditional love is just ... special. They truly are family members.
My vision is blurry and my cheeks are wet. :sad1: What a lovely tribute to Nala. So sorry for your loss.:hug:

I’ve always been an animal lover and have always had them in my life.

Your story hit such a chord with me. Beautifully written and so heartfelt. Nala was so lucky to have your and your family. And, you were blessed beyond measure by her love.

My parents never really quite got it because we were cat and dog people long before them. And then they were losing their 14 year old dog and it was about 7-8 at night when it was time. And I said to my mom “I understand. If you need us. We will be there”. And we drove right down and took them to get to the vet to get him relief and say goodbye. She has been so grateful that my husband and I drove down almost 2 hours so my dad could be there when their dog passed (he had recently had a stroke and she couldn’t manage him and the dog on her own) and that we stayed over to support them.
Dogs have a way of finding the right people who need them. I am SO very sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss. I grew up with pets of all kinds, heck one of my brothers had a snake and another a skunk. Hubby didn't and didn't want us to have a dog or a cat. Took me 20 years of nagging and the love of my son's yorkiepoo for him to finally say o.k. if you can get a little one like Scarlett you can have one. That day I went off to the humane society and our little yorkie picked me. She was about 2 or 3 months old and the cutest little ball of fur you ever saw. Hubby fell in love. He has spoiled her rotten. She goes everywhere we go, sleeps in our bed, we even bought a RV so we didn't have to board her since she is a her people dog and won't eat unless we are near. She has even been camping at the Fort at WDW. She is nine years old, getting blind in one eye and has bad knees. Right now she is curled up beside me on the couch with her little butt touching me (she has to be touching). I've already said I probably won't get another after she dies because she is such a good, pain in the rear, part of our family.

You write so beautifully, wow! I'm so sorry for your loss, I know it is so hard 💓 It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter