I found a conference ... AT DISNEYWORLD!

Fairy Floss

Mouseketeer
Finally getting around to doing this...

Firstly - thank you to the many people whose trip reports and pre trip reports helped me so much. Also to Minnie Mum and Princess in Oz - your advice was invaluable!

I am a Dental Therapist. (I fix kid's teeth) I HAVE to do 20 hours of continuing education a year and have discovered that I can do this and get some sight seeing in at the same time. 2 years ago, I found that the American Association of paediatric Dentistry was planning a conference at Disney Swan & Dolphin Hotel in May, 2013
Into the diary it went. Airfares were bought in August 2012 and registration (including booking hotel room) was in Dedcember.
Christmas came, family holiday in January and then... Yep! I can start planning.
Well... I started reading those trip reports and learnt about ADRs (already too late to get BOG!) then... I went to a DISmeet in Melbourne and the ball really started rolling

Here's a photo of me & my DH
6cf477e942dfae9da173f4e5a0608db4_zps6ebdf552.jpg

(I hope that works - 1st time!)

Index:
Day 1: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=48818735&postcount=4
Day 2 (part 1):http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48826655#post48826655
Day 2 (part 2) :http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=48864100&postcount=26

I saw the heading and thought perhaps you had found ANOTHER conference! :rotfl:

Pulling up my pew and settling in. popcorn::

Sat, 18th May

Finally arrived after 3 flights and over 24hours
The flights were fine - but DFW was a nightmare - took nearly 3 hours to do immigration / customs... Maybe they were short staffed?
Used Tiffany Town Cars to transfer to the hotel. Loved that we had a shopping stop a Publix on the way.
Went for a walk to get food but not much was open ... Had a mango margarita at the Boardwalk. It was disappointing - not frozen & not much alcohol.
Boardwalk pizza was open - didn't look that good, so we went back to Picabu and had a roast beef roll. It was quite nice - olive bread and lots of roast beef and horseradish. Ordered chips and was given a bag of corn chips.
Lesson of the day.... They're called fries here!

You might have been hit by the US sequester furloughs.

:scratchin Chips. Fries. Hmmm. I guess we forgot to give you a translation table for US/English words.

Hey Fairy Floss, I am also a DT (well strictly speaking I am an OHT) and I cannot believe I that I missed this! If you ever find another conference at WDW I would love to hear about it!

Hey Fairy Floss, I am also a DT (well strictly speaking I am an OHT) and I cannot believe I that I missed this! If you ever find another conference at WDW I would love to hear about it!

The AAO (ortho) is holding their conference at Orlando (Orange County Convention Centre) in 2016 - I'm there already!!

You might have been hit by the US sequester furloughs.

:scratchin Chips. Fries. Hmmm. I guess we forgot to give you a translation table for US/English words.

Well... Last year in Hawaii, I was looking for some thongs.
A man pulled me aside and suggested I ask for flip flops or slippahs as they don't sell underwear in that shop

I also thought you found another one :)
DFW is worse than LAX both times we have flown in there it has taken that amount of time to get through!

If you need an 'assistant' on your next trip...I'm free :wave2:

Looking forward to reading about your adventures :)

The AAO (ortho) is holding their conference at Orlando (Orange County Convention Centre) in 2016 - I'm there already!!

2016 you say? That may just give me enough time to sweet talk my boss into letting me take the time off as conference leave...

Unfortunately the ATO is changing the ruling on how much you can claim for "self education expenses" ! :(

Unfortunately the ATO is changing the ruling on how much you can claim for "self education expenses" ! :(

Regardless... Still have to do 20 hrs a year
... Net$ works out similar to doing it at home
ie WDW $1700 airfare, accom $250 a night, conference $220
Last year - Canberra - $300 airfare, accom $260 a night, conference $1600
I'd rather do WDW

Sunday 19th

Up and out of the room bright and early cause we have an ADR this morning at Cape May
Had a leisurely walk over and checked in. Only had to wait about 15 minutes until our buzzer went off and we were seated.
I was SO excited ... "There's Minnie!! .... AND Goofy!!!"
The food was constantly replenished .. Loved the eggs
IMG_0812_zps570df3fa.jpg

And the Mickey Waffles
IMG_0813_zpsb58609ca.jpg

The characters came over and had their photos taken with us ... Goofy write that he <3 me. This prompted DH to write he <3s me more - Lol!
IMG_0807_zpsdbd0d7f1.jpg

IMG_0805_zps4c2f5e90.jpg

IMG_0802_zps4fc8ecd6.jpg

I managed to lose my camera case - but was so happy, I didn't care!
Then... Off to EPCOT
Went on
Soarin (FP)
Living with the land
Nemo
Crush
Test track (FP)
Spaceship Earth
Mission Space
Ellen's energy ride (broke down)
Maelstrom (Norway)
3 Caballeros (Mexico)
It was the last day of flower and garden - here are some of the topiaries
IMG_0838_zpsa5ac0bf2.jpg

IMG_0837_zpsedd510ab.jpg

IMG_0826_zps47fcd4a2.jpg

IMG_0845_zps18855fc1.jpg

Had a Mickey pretzel for a snack
579328_10201228522903827_1171278437_n.jpg

and went to Germany for dinner ( had a bratwurst & beer)
Watched the fireworks
IMG_0882_zps75138409.jpg

and caught the boat back (exhausted!)

Wow, you covered a lot of territory in a day. A full day, breakfast to Illuminations. The topiaries and all the flowers make Epcot so festive that time of year. When it's over and they take everything down, it almost seems like the park is bare. Looks like you had some fun character interaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter