I had big problems at HRH (long)

kaitlynangel

Mouseketeer
where do i start?, Ok yes the hotel is beautiful, I loved the Hotel itself, very nice lobby, good layout, wonderful pool, great to walk to parks, nice beds, but they are very inconsistent with the service that a Loews hotel has always been known for. I'll list what happened in order:I made reservation over the phone in mid-january using the Heroes Salute Discount that was given to me for $99, I was required to pay for one night of my 3 night stay, so I gave them my Debit card for $109 (?), at check-in I asked to be upgraded to a poolview from a standard view, I showed my Loews First Card and was told no problem, it'll be $35 per night more for the upgrade, I said fine. This was at 3:00pm, I was told that they had nothing available until 4:00pm for my request, I said no problem and went to Sunset Grill had lunch for $40. Went back up to front desk, now it's 10 to 4:00 and they say it's going to be longer for my room to be ready, he calls up to housekeeping and they say another 20 minutes, another girl comes out from the backroom and hits a few buttons and indicates there is a room with a view available. So he gives me those room keys and me and my husband and 2 1/2 year old are on our way up. I open the door and it's a smoking room, and a view of nothing but the complete head of a very large palm tree. I wanted non-smoking and a view (i was paying for the view I want a view). So I left them in the room since all i got on the phone was a busy signal and went down to tell them this room was not acceptable for the two reasons mentioned. They immediately gave me another room 2 floors higher with a great view and was non-smoking, I have no idea why I couldn't have been given this room from the start, anyway it's now almost 5 I had been on the road for hours so I just wanted to relax. I needed a refrigerator so I called down, was told told $12 a day, I said no problem, they immediately brought up a refrigerator. next, I needed security to come up to and unlock the safe. So far I've seen alot of staff. Well I put all our perishables into refrigerator (DD on Amoxicillin so that has to be kept refrigerated). Come morning the refrigerator was dead, I called and was told that they would send up maintenance people to look at. They came they said you need a new refrigerator we'll have someone bring one up. We went to park. DD got very sick with fever of 103.9 had to take her to hospital, I called from Guest Services at Universal over to cancel my Characther dinning at the Portofino and the reservationist told me well you can always go to the Sunset grill tomorrow at HRH they have the Characther dinning with Scooby Doo over there, I said great, I'll do that and she took all my info and siad she'd make the arrangements. I got back at 9:00pm from the Hospital, still no refrigerator and very thing inside is warm. I called again was told well bring you a new one and tell us how much you lost and we'll reimburse you , i was reasonable and said $20 worth. They finally brought a new one up at 10:00 pm. The next day my daughter stayed in the room all day so that she would feel better enough to go to her dinner with Scooby Doo, that's all she talked about for days prior to getting to Florida. So at 6:30 we went down stairs and went to sunset grill to be told they had no characther dinning on Tuesdays, and they don't know who told me that they did. Well I told them how I called from Universal guest services and so forth and they said that who ever I talked to was wrong, the hostess pulled me aside and said this happens all the time with the reservations dept, and she felt really bad. She said she would call the mgr. and the fronmt desk and see what we could do, Since my mom drove in from Tampa and my daughter was best staying inside and we had no other place to eat now that it was right smack dab in the middle of dinner time, we decided to sit down and see what the mgr and front desk can do. They told us that drinks were on them (as per the restuarant mgr.) but they were still awaiting word from Concierge. I was so upset, all my DD wanted was to see Scooby Doo she brought her stuffed Scooby with her. I really didn't want to order al a carte either, the Scooby Doo dinner has a fixed rate of $16.00 per adult, DD is free. SO I told them due to mix I wanted to have dinner on them, this was a hugh mess up and they said they couldn't do that, they gave us drinks (none of drinks, so we got soda) and they gave us Dessert. We still wound up spending $80 for dinner without Scooby Doo and left with a little girl asking for him. The hostess told me if I wanted to speak to the Concierge I sould see what they can do. I did just that and they were no help, almost acussing me not knowing that there was no Scooby Doo on Tuesday. I asked to see Hotel Mgr. He said he couldn't do anything about dinner and that he would give me late check out the next day, since I had a Cabana reserved for my day of check out, I was given 4 pm. The day of check out We went to cabana had snacks from the bar and at 3:00 we left to go shower in our room. The waitress knocked on our door and said we couldn't put our snacks on our account because is was over ist's limit and we would have to pay cash. So I paid cash asI fumed over the Over the Limit excuse (which I was not), So I took a fast shower and went down stairs to settle the acount which was totally messed up of course. They charged me for the refrigerator that didn't work and they charged me for a roll away bed which wasn't mine and there was no credit for the $20 they offered me for food spoilage. I had that corrected and finally got the correct toal, I gave them 2 credit cards to pay, Half on my card, and half on my husbands card. No problem, not until I tried to check in to Dolphin later that day. There was a problem with my credit card they said. I went to the nearest pay phone and was told by my Credit card company that the HRH was holding $550 on that card in authorization and also a charge of $308. and that the vendor would have to call to correct. Then I called my debit card bank and they said that there were two charges from HRH both for $308. and then my husband called his card and they told him there was also two charges on that card for $308. I was so irate I called immediately to HRH it was after 5 so all I could get was the front desk and they were clueless, they said that i could leave a message for the mgr and the he would call me back, I got put through to housekeeping and called back and again was put through to the wrong extension. I finally got a person would gave me the number to Loews Credit dept.. I called that next morning and I got some one who basically said well, we're sorry and we'll contact your banks to correct but it could take 5-7 days to credit, I was irate they had almost $1500 in authoriztions and cash from my bank, and I was on vacation having to deal with crap. I was told I would have to speak to a supervisor and I of course was put through to voice mail. No one called me back that whole day. I tried to enjoy my vacation by going to the parks and visiting with my mom who was staying with me and watching my DD. But I was really upset we had gone on this vacation with a budget of how much we could put on on cards and now we were down to nothing mavailable in our budget. I called when i got in to the room and actually got a supervisor. she said she was working on it and that the HRH was offering us a free day in the future to use if we wanted, I told her I really need my money back so I can continue with my vacation, and she said that since it was now after 5 on a friday that nothing could be done until monday. I told her well tka e the HRH free day now because it seems we may need it, so she called us on Monday and had made arrangement fo rus to stay on Wednesday the HRH So I checked out of the Dolphin early and stayed at HRH for one day. We canceld the rest of the day we where supposed to stay at the dolphin and drove to Tampa to stay with MOm. By Wednesday all the moneys had been returned but my entire vacation was turned upside down by the incompetence of the HRH hotel, The Credit mgr had no idea how this could have happened but she said some one at the hotel would have to igniate the chrage for them to post to the account. I didn't ven give them my bank card when I checked in I gave my bank card over the phone in Jan. for the reservation how could they charge antoher $308 on to a card they never even had in their hands. She had to answer. I loved the Hotel phyiscally but they can't their act together, and it can cost you alot of aggravtion and time to correct and they can't be trusted with your credit card. I don't think the free night which really didn't cost them anything was a great settlement, I am just luckly that nothing bounced in my checking account and hopefully I'll never have to go through something like this again.

I have had 2 bad experiences at the HRH. The first time it was avery bad problem with housekeeping. They did give us 4 free meals to the Sunset grille so yes thay can do that. We went back to use our free night this Jan. and had a lot of problems again. Lickily they did make up for it. They compt. all 3 nights and sent my sis and I a bottle of wine and a cheese plate, and they kids got cookies and milk. The only reason I would consider staying there again is how well they made up for the problems. Your problems were much worse (I consider 3x charging very bad IMHO) and they certainly needed to make a better effort. Check out my post on the trip reports if you want an idea of how they messed up this last trip.

I am so sorry to hear all this...what a mess. glad you could still had a good time in spite of everything.

if it were me, I'd find write a long letter of complaint to the HRH directly and cc to management of Loews Hotels.

I had Disney overcharge me big time in August and after three months of letters, they finally refund my monies, plus 3 extra nights.

Herc

That's awful. We all go on vacation to relax not deal with all that. Please write a letter to the HRH manager (Lou Carrier) and maybe to someone at Loews too. Hope your daughter felt better.

I agree with hercamore. Write a letter to HRH and Loew's Hotels. I have gotten great responses from large companies when I've done this.

wowsa, what a nightmare to have to deal with while on vacation! im always scared of something like that happening so i never give disney or universal my CC# or debit card #. i pay by cash or check unless they need one to cionfirm my reservation.

i hope that this episode didnt spoil any future universal trips. :(

I had a similar experience last April. I went for two nights which I booked through Travelscape and pre-paid in full. When I checked in I gave them my credit card for incidental charges. HAH! They put a $600 hold on my account for whatever I might charge which was fine with me. BUT, when I checked out they put through the charge of $250 in actual purchases I had made. Then they did not release the $600 they had on hold. It took a full week for the $600 to be released. Also, they put through a mini-bar charge of $12 several times and I had to call several times to clear that up. It was not a problem about the $600 on my card because we did not need the credit later on, but if I had to go to another hotel or rent a car I might have run into a problem. I was very mad that they would put through a charge and not release the original hold. We are going again next week and I will NOT give them a credit card. I will leave a cash balance for incidental charges and just pay as I go. And I will verify that the credit card I gave them to prepay my room is NOT being used or held for incidental charges. I love the Hard Rock but they do have some problems with their charge policy.

Lookingforward - Please help me understand. We will also be at the HRH next week and I'm wondering if you can check in and not give a CC. I prepaid our 1 night already on our CC. We have a super high credit limit so I'm not really worried about not have $ for the rest our our trip. But how do i handle the check in process? Any adivse appreciated. Also, how do you check that no monies are being held against your card?

Would you believe the CC bill just came in and they charged 219 to the card 4 days after we checked out (the CC bill shows transaction date as 3 days after we checked out). Guess who is getting a call in the morning. I wish they could get their act together

sha_lyn,

from past exprience i have found that hotels do not always charge you right away. for example i had a bottle of water that i drank at HRH and it was just charged to my card in DEC and I went in OCT.(this was one of the rare times I actually gave a CC#) Out of curiosity is the $219 money you actually spent?

The only thing the 219 could be was the room charge if they decided to not comp. the room for all three nights. It was suppose to be one night but then they told us that 2 nights would be compted through the excutive office. Then the 3rd night was suppose to be for the problems we had at check in. The first room's lock was not working and Security wanted the fornt desk to move us. The front desk kept sending security back up to check the lock and argued with them that it was the only the battery. Like security pointed out if it was the battery their master keys wouldn't work either. The front desk wanted us to wait for mantanience to come up and change the battery. By this time it was after 1 am. The 219 was not on our final check out bill. they charged the final bill we were given and then 2 days later charged the 219

Hmmm...I would definitely look into that. Hope all works out and you don't get hassled too much.

Dreamer- I know from other posts that you can give a cash deposit on your room for phone calls, room service and such and then pay directly in the parks. That way when you check out you can settle in full. I do know that charges in the Citywalk restuarants sometimes take a while to show up (a $78 charge at the NBA restuarant took about ten days to post on my charge card). For me it is not the issue of the amount of credit, etc. it is definately the fact that it was so confusing and messed up and that it required me to make several long distance calls to straighten out. We have traveled all over the world and I have never had that happen to me anywhere else. Have a good trip!

Wow, so sorry for all the problems - what a nightmare.

Has anyone had the same problems at Portofino? Or are they better at accounting over there?

I had a problem with the Portofino, when they first opened. I had a charge from the Spa (which we did not use)

It must have been a guest who signed our room number for his service (accounting kept asking me if I was sure I didn't know a Gary?) No, hubby is Mike and boys (who aren't named Gary) sure didn't use the spa. I would have LOVED to have had a spa service, but didn't, and was darned sure I wasn't footing the bill for someone else.

After several long distance phone calls, this was eventually credited back to us.

Based on our experiences at Xmas, you do NOT have to give HRH your credit card. I had reserved and prepaid through hotelkingdom.com. When I checked in, the front desk asked if I wanted to leave a credit card. When I politely declined, she was very nice and just said, "That's fine, but I'll have to leave the bar locked." End of subject! I am sorry that you had such a bad experience, and am glad you documented everything that happened. Hopefully, you'll be comped appropriately.
Terri the Yoopermom

On the flip side...

Sometimes it's just a combo of bad things happening that seem to snowball. We just returned from HRH, I used my card to charge purchases from the parks, beach club and city walk to my bill and it worked perfectly. I always carefully check my bill and it was flawless.

Of course, I do have a fairly high limit and started the vacation with very little balance, so I wasn't subject to pre-authorization tie-ups. That can be a nuisance and I can understand the frustration with that. I've seen that problem before... sometimes it's more with the credit card company. The hotel needs to pre-authorize your card so you can charge on it, but once the charge comes through the pre-authorization should drop. Many times the credit card companies don't drop it quickly.

I agree with a majority of the posts... a long detailed letter to the manager and Loews should result in some form of compensation. The trip you described opening this thread was just a nightmare and I feel for you.

Our first trip and stay will be in June and I find this information a bit unsettling. Can you just pay cash for calls and what not when you check out? I would rather pay cash for purchases at the time of purchase than to try to figure out where they have made mistakes. I did pay by credit card for the one night, will this be a problem later?:confused:

kutchyone:

Absolutely, you can pay cash for the remainder of your bill. They will still require some form of security for the room, so an imprint of a card or a cash deposit will likely be required in case you make phone calls, buy a movie, or damage something (I'm sure you're not intending to damage the room, but they don't know that). You will probably not be given access to the wet bar (which we rarely use, but some people like for convenience sake). Then you will just pay cash as you go through the parks and restaurants. There's nothing wrong with that. I prefer not to, but I certainly can understand the opposite view.

I had problems at the HRH last summer, but they were all with housekeeping. We're staying at the RP this summer; I think maybe I'll pay cash for the room after reading these posts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter