I had big problems at HRH (long)

Wow, I am wondering if I should just visit the universal park while we are staying at the dolphin after hearing all this.

Kaitlyn: So sorry for your trouble, but most of all for your little one getting sick, her being sick was probably bad enough without all this other stuff happening.
There you are on their hero's program , you should have been treated like royality, you should have been given all your nights for free I think for all the trouble that happened with your stay and credit card.

We have never been to universal but are thinking of a day or two at that park before or during our wdw vacation. If we do not stay on site will it spoil the holiday waiting in lines etc, heat in april. I thought about staying one night, but then it probably is a zoo in the a.m. everyone trying to do the same thing book a room and get a room key so that they can get front of the line access.

I understand that they have an express program like disney's fast pass, does that work pretty good. Thanks,

Deb.

Cottontail Deb: We didn't use the Express Line Passes because we had our HRH key, but it appeared to be just like the Disney system. Perhaps the rules are slightly different, someone else can comment.

But I think it's important to point out that for every bad story like this one there's probably 100 good one's out there. We stayed two nights with no problems. I'm not going to say that if you stay at HRH it will be without problem... but I am saying that I believe it to be the exception rather than the rule.

Having the Express Line access was worth every penny to me and my family... yes, the HRH is not the cheapest accomodations around (we paid 189 a night for 2 nights), but better "bargains" are available (there's plenty of discussion about that in here). Trust me, there is nothing like it. We did each park in about 5 hours, without rushing and we rode some rides multiple times. Then it was back to the pool to relax and play.... it was wonderful. On Saturday night we went back to USF for the Mardis Gras parade. We loved it, and would NEVER go to USF and not stay there, even if just for one night to get 2 days of Express access.

I know you're trying to balance the Canadian exchange rate into your decision making (that was you I believe, right?)... and it gets mighty pricey. And with talk of problems at the hotel, it gets even tougher to decide. So I certainly can understand your reservations (pardon the pun) about staying onsite.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I know it's never easy trying to piece these vacations together... seems like yesterday I was struggling with the same decisions!!!!

BUZZ

Hi Beachbuzzard:

Glad you had a good visit, i certainly like the idea of being thru a park in 5 hours. My other problem is that there are three of us who suffer very bad migraines, my daughter gets at least three bad ones a week. So staying onsite would work out perfect for us say two nights, and getting on the rides quickly would be a blessing to get away from the hot sun.

I have called and they have one of our nights for 125 before tax, but the other night is either pool view or deluxe which sounds great but for us is expensive.
We are heading over to the animal kingdom lodge and either the dolphin or poly after that. So I am already spending big bucks, but it is our 25th anniv. celeb, so we splurged on the disney trip.

Well out comes the calculator again first for the american prices (which are like a dream come true) then for the scary canadian prices (which are like a nightmare). But it has been 6 years since our last trip and my family is growing up, it could be our last trip together.

Bye.

Deb.

Deb.

I feel so bad that your experience was terrible. We have had two great stays at the HRH, last August and last month. We have already booked another stay for this April.

The worst thing that happened to us was having to call twice for our Loews Welcome Gift.

Our first trip was a pkg that we paid in advance for on a credit card. We did not leave a card imprint upon checkin and we did not have access to the fridge and wet bar. We could not charge to our room. This past vacation we did leave the credit card, the only thing that we have been billed for was the room. (So far).

I would write a letter to Loews and the HRH.

Good Luck, Hope your daughter is better.

Patty

Wow! Sorry you had such a rough time! I already feel like a traitor to WDW by staying at PBH. I'm hoping they get their paperwork straight. Think I might bring my credit card statement showing they already charged me the room charges. And I don't plan on giving them a cc at the desk. I won't make any room charges. (Wishing I made plans to stay at WDW 3 nights and Universal 1 night as opposed to the other way around!) Not getting a good impression of Universal here. You had MULTIPLE problems with them on one trip! :(

Also, whenever I make ressies with Disney Travel, I have my actual tickets within 2 weeks. When I reserved with Universal, they sent confirmation and said I would receive the tickets closer to vacation time. I don't care for that! Still don't have them. :(

Well, sorry I and my family missed all of you at the meets. Family and issues constrained us from doing so though we did get to Mythos, but just not when everyone else did.

Our visit to HRH this year was no better and maybe worse than last year. Housekeeping was as miserable if not worse than last year. It's very hard to understand how they can justify putting 3 bath towels and 2 washcloths in a Deluxe bathroom when 4 adults and 1 child are staying there. In the end, we ended up calling down every day after returning to our room for more towels and such. The other major problem is that vacuuming must be a foreign concept to them. With a child eating crackers and cookies in the room you tend to get crumbs everywhere plus feathers from pillows ends up on the floor. Some of those crumbs and feathers were on the floor for 2 to 3 days before housekeeping thought they might want to take care of it.

The worst was our fouth night there. I called down at 11:15pm one night to get two additional pillows for my wife. The operator said they would be right up. Well, 'right up' to me means 10 to 15 minutes. 30 minutes passed and nothing, so I called back down. The same operator answered and I inquired as to what the holdup on the 2 pillows were. She was surprised that I had not received them and was very apologetic and said they'd be up immediately. Well, once again, 'immediately' to me means less than 5 minutes.

Guess what, the pillows showed up another 45 minutes later. A grand total of 1 hour and 15 minutes after calling down for them.

As a result of this problem along with the others, I called down the next evening after returning from the parks and told the concierge I would like to speak to the manager on duty. She told me Derrick was on the phone and would I like to wait or have him return my call. I said we were going out to eat and I'd like the manager to come look at our room while we were out and tell me if he'd be happy with the level of housekeeping our room had received and then call me later that night with his thoughts no matter what time it was.

Well, low and behold he never showed up nor called. So at midnight I went downstairs to the check-in counter and was going to get this resolved. Bryan was the manager on duty as Derrick's shift apparently ends around 11pm. I told Bryan of the numerous problems we had to this point as well as now not having management respond to guest concerns.

He asked what I wanted from him. I told him one that housekeeping problems have not improved in one year and have actually gotten worse, so that needed to be corrected. Second, that I wanted a reimbursement of some kind in a monetary form and not wine or platters of any kind as my and my family's wasted time calling for towels, enduring dirty floors, and waiting for pillows was worth something. I told him I had no definite figure in mind, but that I ask him to put himself in my shoes and imagine from that perspective. I, also, indicated I wanted to talk to Mark Shugert in the morning about this. He ended up giving me $100 off my room rate for that night and anymore would be in discussions with the GM.

The next morning I did talk to Mark as I did last year. He did remember me and was appalled about the lack of housekeeping and shocked when he heard about the pillow time wait. He said hotel standards are 15 minutes MAXIMUM and that there are always enough people working that this would never be a problem. He was also disconcerted that Derrick didn't call back and while offered some scenarios why he might not have done as I requested, there was no excuse.

He also asked why I hadn't booked directly through him this year as he had given me his card last year to call him if I needed anything. I told him I didn't view him as my personal travel planner there. He said I shouldn't view it that way and to call him next year and he'd 'set me up' whatever that means.

In the end, he said he'd take this all up with the involved parties and the GM and decide how to deal with it. As for further reimbursement, he said that would be under discussion and would let me know.

This all has soured me on HRH. Yes, it is a beautiful hotel, some very good and friendly people, specifically Lourdes at the front desk, nice rooms though the wear on the hotel is beginning to show as well as settling, and FOTL. Ultimately, I think this will be our last HRH stay barring some miraculous response from Mark and staff. I do plan on writing an additional lengthy letter to him regarding all this and that I think 2 years of bad housekeeping is enough.

If we do come down again next year, Royal Pacific will be our next attempt.

Sorry for the problems you had, but let me just offer some advice. Whenever you have a problem, the quicker you go to "the top", the better off you will be. Many times the lower level staff don't have the authority to correct problems to your satisfaction quickly, like the GM or manager can. We had a bit of a mix-up with our reservation and rate last year, so rather than keep explaining and trying to resolve it with reservationists, I went to Lou Carrier and Mark Shouger, who could not have been more responsive, helpful, and really went out of their way to correct the situation. They more than made up for our problems and were geniunely concerned with keeping us satisfied.

We had such a great experience at the Hard Rock that we are returning again this year. We travel a lot, stay in many 5 star hotels and I have to say I couldn't be happier with the service or personnel at the Hard Rock.

Cforza,

I appreciate the advice, but I am greatly aware of what to do in various situations as I have gone to the CEO of UPS on two occasions to get problems solved and the CEO of Home Depot on another when no other solution was available. The thing that amazed them the most was how in the world I managed to get their direct office numbers.

Anyway, one doesn't always jump to the top of the ladder lest you get sent back down it to have the problem dealt with on some occasions.

Mark Shouger was a very kind and understanding individual and I appreciate him taking the time to listen and respond to me as he is able, but to have major, and I mean major, housekeeping problems two years in a row with the visits each over 11 months apart speaks to a larger issue I believe. Where is the focus?

Funny and maybe sad part is that one of the explanations given to me for the housekeeping issue is that they just replaced the Executive Housekeeping position within the last 3 weeks. Ironically and coincidentally that was the very reasoning given to me last year in March after only being open two months. Either someone doesn't know how to interview and hire good leaders or I am being fed lines. I doubt the latter and believe the former.

While the initial $100 refund was nice, in my mind it isn't nearly enough for the poor situations we were required to deal with now two years in a row and this was probably our last visit as a result at this specific resort anyway. Only much larger renumeration for what we went through would make me rethink this position.

foyboy, I was directing my response to the original poster. I think you've got the art of complaining effectively mastered ;) .

Cforza,

I apologize for not recognizing that, but seeing that your post directly followed mine I did not recognize any way to interpret it otherwise.

Yes, I do complain loudly when it is needed, but I equally and probably more so compliment very fervently when needed.

Cforza,

I apologize for not recognizing that, but seeing that your post directly followed mine I did not recognize any way to interpret it otherwise.

Yes, I do complain loudly when it is needed, but I equally and probably more so compliment very fervently when needed.

:D :D

I am sorry that you went through all of that, however I think it is more of a Loews problem rather than just HRH. I had it happen to me with the South Beach hotel, with a company sponsored conference, and it seems that they went ahead and charged the company and individuals for our rooms, I didn't notice until two weeks later. I placed a call to the hotel, left a message on the voicemail, and no one ever returned my call. I finally went to the person here at the company who had coordinated the conference and she said she would add my name to the list. I was credited within a few days, but was still embarassed when I had tried to use my card and was told I was over my limit. I took that as a lesson with Loews and now pay cash, and I also try to get a daily print out of any activity on the room. You should definitely write a letter.

See that is what happens when you have people who would be asking you if you want frys with your order. It doesn't seem like the company for the hotel really cares about what is going on if so the problem would change. I think all they are really concerned about it the profiet margin instead of the people who stay at HRH. We have a time share that we use thank goodness we don't have to stay at the hotel.

Dan-tot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter