I have a very big dream!

lbklyn

DIS Veteran
Which is to go to Disneyland and then to Hawaii. I have never had any interest of going to California or Disneyland but since Cars opened I have been been taking more interest in the Disneyland travel specials on tv and I REALLY would love to see it. Spend like 2 days there and go on to Hawaii (which is somewhere I have ALWAYS wanted to go). I know this will take alot of money and planning but something I hope to accomplish within the next 5 years. I am the type of person that to get through the tough times in life (taking care of my sick Mom for many years now) I need something to plan and dream of at times to take my mind to a better place. Has anyone ever done the 2 of these places in the same trip? If so, what was it like?

Which is to go to Disneyland and then to Hawaii. I have never had any interest of going to California or Disneyland but since Cars opened I have been been taking more interest in the Disneyland travel specials on tv and I REALLY would love to see it. Spend like 2 days there and go on to Hawaii (which is somewhere I have ALWAYS wanted to go). I know this will take alot of money and planning but something I hope to accomplish within the next 5 years. I am the type of person that to get through the tough times in life (taking care of my sick Mom for many years now) I need something to plan and dream of at times to take my mind to a better place. Has anyone ever done the 2 of these places in the same trip? If so, what was it like?

Funny, I'm in the early planning stages of this same idea.

I have recently been listening to DIS unplugged podcasts and really liked an older one about Disneyland (like from the fall maybe). Along with the shows on Destination America this week, the idea of trying DLR has been slowly growing in my mind. Hawaii is also on our list of places to see in the near-ish future. Combining these sounds like great idea. I wouldn't have thought of it. I hope some good tips come out of this thread and sorry I am NO help :)

we had a great time at DL last fall. :) Carsland was the best part for sure. be sure to stay close to the park, all the DL are in walking distance of the parks!! (and for Carsland...get in line for a fast pass right away... ) :)

Hawaii --- beautiful!! we did that in 2010 .... we went for 10 days and could have spent another month there !! :)

I actually looked at doing this last year when we were headed to Hawaii. I ended up not doing it but my idea was to stay the 2 nights near DL and then depart on a cruise to Hawaii out of San Diego. We ended up doing just the cruise portion due to cost restraints and I would definitely recommend doing that. It is 5 days to cruise there and then you cruise around all the islands. We had an amazing time on the cruise ship and it was way cheaper than it would have been to fly there and back and fly to all the islands and stay in a hotel. We ended up tacking on 5 days in Honolulu at the end which was great. The 5 days at sea flew by and we were never bored. Had such a great time and it would have been even more amazing to see DL first. Hope u r able to do something like this but definitely look into cruising there. It was a great way to see all of Hawaii in one trip.

We live in California but have been to Hawaii a few times and will be going there next month. Here are a few tips:

- book round trip from your home airport to LAX; and round trip from LAX to Hawaii as round trip is less expensive
- you can fly from LAX directly to Oahu, Maui, or the Big Island
- inter-island flights are increasing in cost so, subscribe to Beat of Hawaii blog because they list the latest airfare specials
- also sign up for Travelocity fare alerts to get an idea of fare pricing
- flights are the most expensive at Christmas and summer
- renting a house is great if you are only going to one island - wonderful deals close to the beaches
- we have booked our upcoming trip through a company that provides "wholesale" type pricing. PM me if you want more info or to look at their custom itineraries!:)

We are a drive to DL so we haven't done this but when I was planning Aulani I read several trip reports about people doing this. If you don't get enough info in this thread maybe try titling Disneyland/Hawaii combo trip - advice? And see if you get more help. I know these people exist. Lol

Wow!!! Thank you all SO much for the tips and information. Now it REALLY seems doable. Like the idea of renting a house or the cruise there. Will look into both. :thumbsup2

Wow!!! Thank you all SO much for the tips and information. Now it REALLY seems doable. Like the idea of renting a house or the cruise there. Will look into both. :thumbsup2

You can also fly into Oahu-Waikiki and then cruise on NCL's Pride of America which loops through all the islands including Kauai. Each island is unique and they all have their own vibe. Have fun planning!

I did this trip in 2005. I booked it through Expedia; it was so easy to plan.

We did 3 days in Disneyland and 8 days in Hawaii (only Oahu). It was an amazing trip. I can't wait to get back to both places.

Have not been to Hawaii but we did spend a week at DLR last July. It is well worth the trip. California Adveture was amazing. We were there in 2005 but Disney has done an amazing job on that park. Cars Land is incredible. The attention to detail is unmatched. We love WDW and have been there 5 times in the last 6 years but DLR was still a great trip. Only hope Disney can take HS and give it a similar makeover as they'd did CA.

Because we fly from NZ and it is long and expensive we tend to do 2 or 3 destinations each trip like WDW/Mexico/Cuba or Hawaii?LA/NY/Vancouver. We fly with Air New Zealand and it is easy to book multistop destinations. We usually book our own accommodation through expedia. We have really enjoyed Hawaii and always like going to DL =)

We flew from Boston to LAX, and stayed at the Grand Californian for 3 days, going to Disneyland and California Adventure. Then we flew to Honolulu and stayed in Waikiki for 3 days to relax and get over jet lag. Then we boarded the NCL Pride of America and toured the islands for a week. We then flew home from Honolulu. It was one of the best vacations of my life and we want to get back to Hawaii.

Denise

I just have to laugh because my big dream is to go to WDW! So much more expensive for us than DLR! We go to DLR every summer, and next summer (2014) we plan to go to WDW. So, I'm here trying to figure it all out. ;) Be sure to read the DLR forum to pick up good info.

I've been to Hawaii a few times too, but haven't been in years. Would love to go back sometime.

We absolutely love Disneyland. We went to WDW for many years and thought it was the end all be all to vacationing. We still love it so don't get me wrong. BUT...we love California and DISNEYLAND more. The nostalgia, charm, and details are remarkable. I get chills walking down Mainstreet knowing Walt lived in an apartment there and worked there. They honor him like no other. There are as many rides and attractions in two parks at DL resort as there are at four parks at WDW. True story.

As for Hawaii, I have the same dream. Hope to get out there for my wife and I's 25th Anniversary.

Live your dream!

My husband and I discussed this exact thing. The only thing stopping us is the ridiculous airfare.

Sometimes you just gotta say what the heck. Disneyland is worth it!

And so is Hawaii! :)
In non-peak times, LAX to Oahu/Honolulu is less than $400 round trip.

Really?!? I need to start surfing some flight sites and watch prices. Non-peak would be winter?

Really?!? I need to start surfing some flight sites and watch prices. Non-peak would be winter?

January thru May, September to early December. Subscribe to Beat of Hawaii blog and you will receive email updates on fares! There has been a fare war with Allegiant, Alaska Airlines etc. and when they drop their prices, American, United and Delta drop theirs too.
Also check tripmasters dot com as they have some great package prices. We are using them for our trip next month. A friend is flying out of Fresno to Honolulu roundtrip next week on Allegiant for less than $400!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter