• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question on authorized users. I know that an authorized user counts in the 5/24 limit. I just took out CSR and realized DH does most of the spending. I order things on line and plan our travel and all that, but he goes to the grocery store, picks up our prescriptions, picks up the take out etc. is there anyway around me just having to give him my card to use so we can both be making purchase on the account without adding him as an authorized user?

My husband has used cards in my name with no issue...the other thing I’ve done is order a “replacement” card due to the card being damaged...they have sent an exact duplicate of the card...so we each had a card to carry

Quick question on authorized users. I know that an authorized user counts in the 5/24 limit. I just took out CSR and realized DH does most of the spending. I order things on line and plan our travel and all that, but he goes to the grocery store, picks up our prescriptions, picks up the take out etc. is there anyway around me just having to give him my card to use so we can both be making purchase on the account without adding him as an authorized user?
The other consideration is the CSR has a $75 fee for AU cards as they get their own priority pass membership. My understanding is you can order a plastic version to use in machines that don't like metal cards. So it's a reasonable request to have an extra and just maybe DH carries it around. You might have to call for that so the alternative is to just request a replacement for a damaged card. Don't pick one of the other options as they'll change your card number for those.

Knock wood we haven't had any issue using a card in the other's name. Mostly the cards interact with machines and people never see them anymore. You'd only run into an issue if you're buying something that requires the store to match name on the card to ID. (for me this is only a Visa/MC gift card, and then only sporadically).

Gilmore Girls is on a constant loop in our house. Great show!

Funny - I'm watching GG for the first time at the moment too. Its background noise while I cook or clean or whatever, not something I sit down and watch, but I've enjoyed it enough that I'm now on season 6 or something. I pick a show that DH won't want to watch, and use it as my background for however long it lasts.

Our current sit-down show (for DH and I only) is the Americans - its taking a while to get through it because we won't even watch it with our teen - adults only- but its a really good show.

i highly recommend u go to china with a tour guide if u dont look asian. china ppl can sometimes be super racist. Other than that, they mostly leave u alone and u dont see much politics going on publicly.
do highly recommend Xi'an, Bejing, Gulling and shanghai. ive been to them all.
china is a place i do really want to go back to.

another idea is Taiwan, although not a whole lot to see compared to China but great foods! everyone ive talk to that went to Taiwan has said they want to go back!

Me! Me! Totally would go back to Taiwan in a heartbeat. Amazing food, cool city, and the National Museum is absolutely amazing amazing. I'm a little intimidated by mainland China, but Taiwan was super cool - I would have love to see more than just Taipei, but even that was worth the trip.

Also, China is definitely authoritarian and has issues, but there is plenty of capitalism happening too. So tourist dollars would definitely not ONLY benefit the government, because entrepreneurs are alive and well in China (with all kinds of bureaucratic weirdness from the government). Different from other (smaller) countries where there is more direct government intervention in everything (and tourism dollars go direct to gov agencies). I can't see myself doing China without a guide, and I don't really like group tours, so I'm not sure we will ever get there (boy, is it ever a big world with lots of cool places to visit!)

India is wonderful (my favorite!) and English is the common language throughout the country (there are so many different languages spoken in different areas) so its remarkably easy to operate in English there (much easier than Taiwan or Korea, even, if you are outside of Seoul). It can be kind of overwhelming, though (poverty and just so many people everywhere), so I can see why someone would want a guide there too.

We stayed in a SpringHill suites for a night this past November when we were in Texas. My kids loved this! I have one ds and one dd who sleep well together but then the other two really need their own bed so this was awesome.

My little one will sleep on a blanket on the floor before she will share a bed with her sister. One of the things I really like about Springhill Suites - we got a family room with bunk beds - the girls absolutely loved it.

This is great! It would be great to see hotels continue to embrace alternative bedding arrangements to the old "two doubles" setup. It seems we've seen some movement in this area recently and that's great! The sleeping arrangements get awkward and/or frustrating pretty quickly for many families I talk to. (I concede that we are somewhat blessed to have 2 daughters that are close in age making this easier for us)

Just wait till those daughters that are close in age are teenagers. You will see how easy things are. When the female hormones out number you, you might be singing a different tune. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Love all the talk of the ethics of visiting different countries. I'd never really thought about it in terms of Cuba, but I know someone who has been multiple times. I've been thinking about it since I'd like to visit Dubai though, and there's a lot of discussion about the rapid growth of the city basically being the result of slavery. China isn't on my list right now, but I do have a friend who lived there for two years teaching and I don't think he experienced any noteworthy issues. Hilariously, he has had teaching stints in the UAE, South Korea, China, and is now in Russia. I joked with him that he's running the gamut of communist countries (minus the UAE).

Haha I didn’t know so many of you liked it. I’m only on episode 4 but I like it so far. We’ve gone through so many Netflix shows that I feel like I’m running out. Some of our favorites are friends, vampire diaries, parks and rec, and the office

Have you watched The Good Place? Sounds like you might like it based on what else you watch.

Also, am I the only one here who watches all the messed up and, um vulgar, shows? :rotfl2:I just finished binge watching Mindhunter. I'm rewatching The Wire for the third time. DH and I have been watching a ton of Veep in preparation for the new season to start Sunday. And I'm counting down the days to the final Game of Thrones season :sad:

Love all the talk of the ethics of visiting different countries.

Me, too. I won't fly the ME3 (tempting as @calypso726 make them seem) for similar reasons. I don't "need" to go to Cuba, having been there 4 times in my previous life (well, a very small area on the island not supporting their government) and China has never had any interest for me, fortunately. The ironic thing is, some people in other countries feel that the US has humanitarian/ethical issues and won't visit here so in a way, it's the devil you know.

Still, it's interesting to consider how your travel dollar speaks. Lucky (One Mile At A Time) has written several articles on why he travels to countries with repressive/antihomosexual biases and while I appreciate his perspective, don't completely agree with it. Which is okay, we can all agree to disagree sometimes.

DH just asked me if I'm okay if he goes to Reno for work again next week. Should I post that on reddit so I can get downvoted again? :P

Also, am I the only one here who watches all the messed up and, um vulgar, shows? :rotfl2:I just finished binge watching Mindhunter. I'm rewatching The Wire for the third time. DH and I have been watching a ton of Veep in preparation for the new season to start Sunday. And I'm counting down the days to the final Game of Thrones season :sad:
How about Happy for messed up and vulgar? DH had that on the other night because a bunch of his coworkers are watching it... I couldn't get over the main character being the actor from Law and Order SVU :laughing: I've wanted to watch Veep because my BIL and his partner really like it, just haven't gotten around to it. Or figured out where we can stream it... GoT is going to it's final season? I watched the first few seasons, I liked it, but I didn't have HBO or anything so I was watching it via pirating sites and got a computer virus one too many times and gave it up. Same with True Blood when that was on.

We've been watching the Rookie on Hulu. I liked Nathan Fillion in Castle and between that, and then my grandpa and a fried both recommending it we watched 11 episodes in one weekend. Who needs to do laundry anyways? :laughing: My grandpa is not one for tv series typically, but I think he likes this one because he worked in law enforcement

Our current sit-down show (for DH and I only) is the Americans - its taking a while to get through it because we won't even watch it with our teen - adults only- but its a really good show.

The Americans was so intense! What season are you on? I saw the finale months ago and still think about it sometimes - it was very well done.

We've been watching the Rookie on Hulu. I liked Nathan Fillion in Castle and between that, and then my grandpa and a fried both recommending it we watched 11 episodes in one weekend. Who needs to do laundry anyways? :laughing: My grandpa is not one for tv series typically, but I think he likes this one because he worked in law enforcement

I love the Rookie! I am a big Nathan Fillion fan and am still upset that Castle ended rather abruptly!

Me, too. I won't fly the ME3 (tempting as @calypso726 make them seem) for similar reasons. I don't "need" to go to Cuba, having been there 4 times in my previous life (well, a very small area on the island not supporting their government) and China has never had any interest for me, fortunately. The ironic thing is, some people in other countries feel that the US has humanitarian/ethical issues and won't visit here so in a way, it's the devil you know.

Still, it's interesting to consider how your travel dollar speaks. Lucky (One Mile At A Time) has written several articles on why he travels to countries with repressive/antihomosexual biases and while I appreciate his perspective, don't completely agree with it. Which is okay, we can all agree to disagree sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I have a save the date sitting in my mailbox right now to my nephew's destination wedding in Jamaica next year. I was telling my coworker on Monday about how I have absolutely zero interest in going to Jamaica (for a variety of reasons) and how the country can be extremely dangerous for LGBT individuals as well.

Speaking on the dangers of traveling, has anyone ever taken the time to look at the State Department's website on travel advisories? It's fascinating. I looked at it last year to look up the UAE. For the most dangerous countries to visit (mainly in Africa and the Middle East), the recommended practices include "leaving a DNA sample with your PCP prior to travel" and "letting family members know about your preferred burial plans." :eek:

How about Happy for messed up and vulgar? DH had that on the other night because a bunch of his coworkers are watching it... I couldn't get over the main character being the actor from Law and Order SVU :laughing: I've wanted to watch Veep because my BIL and his partner really like it, just haven't gotten around to it. Or figured out where we can stream it... GoT is going to it's final season? I watched the first few seasons, I liked it, but I didn't have HBO or anything so I was watching it via pirating sites and got a computer virus one too many times and gave it up. Same with True Blood when that was on.

Haven't heard of Happy, I'll have to look that up. We LOVE Veep. It's on Amazon Prime!! Seinfeld is my favorite show of all time, so Julia Louis Dreyfus has always been someone I love.

I'm super picky about what kind of law enforcement shows I like. I basically hate everything related to the practice of law. The only show I've liked in that vein was Boston Legal, but that show is super wacky so it's not like it's some serious courtroom drama. DH loved Suits which I found to be an absolutely absurd show. But I do love the Duchess of Sussex :bride: #goals

The other consideration is the CSR has a $75 fee for AU cards as they get their own priority pass membership. My understanding is you can order a plastic version to use in machines that don't like metal cards. So it's a reasonable request to have an extra and just maybe DH carries it around. You might have to call for that so the alternative is to just request a replacement for a damaged card. Don't pick one of the other options as they'll change your card number for those.

Knock wood we haven't had any issue using a card in the other's name. Mostly the cards interact with machines and people never see them anymore. You'd only run into an issue if you're buying something that requires the store to match name on the card to ID. (for me this is only a Visa/MC gift card, and then only sporadically).
The easiest thing to do is simply tell them you damaged your card. If you don’t want to lie, just take a knife to it and scratch it up a little (not the card reader) :D. Tell them to just send a replacement card and that they don’t change the number so you don’t have to change everything online. That works.

Also- to anyone who isn’t doing this already with your CSR: never have it for more than one year. Get the CSR, use the travel credit of $300, pay the $450, after the first year and second wave of AFs, use the $300 travel credit again and then downgrade the card within 45 days to get your full refund (used to be 60) of 2nd AF.
Then, if you have a P2 or another Chase UR card, PC that card to a CSR and rinse/repeat. You should constantly be PCing that card annually, but it’s worth keeping because of the 1.5:1 ratio and the unmatchable insurance. Plus, you’ll always get $600 for $450 ;)

@have2getaway

Also, China is definitely authoritarian and has issues, but there is plenty of capitalism happening too. So tourist dollars would definitely not ONLY benefit the government, because entrepreneurs are alive and well in China (with all kinds of bureaucratic weirdness from the government). Different from other (smaller) countries where there is more direct government intervention in everything (and tourism dollars go direct to gov agencies).
This is good to know. Thanks.

Love all the talk of the ethics of visiting different countries.
1st- I agree that Taiwan is amazing :)

2nd- the more I travel the more I look at the intentionality of my travel. We’ve even had “carbon footprint” talk over on Reddit regarding our huge amount of travel. So I try to make sure my family gets something out of every trip we go on that makes it “worth” it for more than just ourselves. I have an affinity for thinking about many things and the older I get the more I realize that every single decision has both good and better outcomes so choose the better (or; more cynically, bad and worse outcomes so choose the “least bad”).

A perfect example of this is the saying “white savior” complex (which has nothing to do with being white, of course, and I dislike the term because of that). But it’s essentially any citizen (regardless of race) from a developed nation that goes to an orphanage in a developing nation, gives a bunch of stuff away, snaps their pics, then leaves. And how little that actually benefits those people vs donating to organizations that promote sustainability and independence in those respective nations. Well, the converse is that whenever I have my children with me in a foreign country (5 and 9), we always carve out a full day for volunteer work that is representative to that countries needs (Animal rescue in Costa Rica, Orphanages in Peru, when my kids are old enough we’ll do youth suicide groups in Japan but for now we do old folks homes there). And the challenge I face is exactly what to do. Using Peru as an example; we have the ability to use an orphanage group that has the teens who are a part of the orphanages there that work as tour guides and that allows them to learn sustainability (which we use). But my kids are also too young to fully grasp that (my 9 year old does somewhat but my 5 year old is oblivious). So we still choose to visit an orphanage to allow my American children to interact and play with the orphans as it is more impactful for them (my kids) than it is even the orphans themselves. And I can wrestle with the fact of if that is selfish or not, but I believe that through those acts, I am shaping my children to be much better humans that can make a better impact in the world had they not experienced those interactions.

Sorry for the long read. As you can tell, I enjoy those discussions too. :P
They’re fun for me and I fully believe that mindless action, no matter what you are doing leads to a less meaningful life. Having these discussions internally and externally fortify your beliefs, shape your morals and lead to a more meaningful life; which is what life should be about.

Edited for typos/grammar

Last edited:
Please bring me up to speed. What are the current Plastiq & Venmo offers? I think either choice may be out of my league, but still feel like I should know. I’m guessing a discussion on both is on reddit? Also, I heard Disney pulled the rug on UR because they were coming out with a vamped up rewards card, but I haven’t seen or heard anything to suggest that. Just curious why they would not want to do something, especially with all the new resorts they are building. I suppose it could be as simple as they don’t need to?
Plastiq is a bill pay service with a 2.5% fee to use a card. Venmo is a way to send money to a friend with a 3% fee to use a card. They aren't cards or offers, just ways to help meet an MSR.

I personally don't think a Disney Credit Card has anything to do with the relationship between Ultimate Rewards and Disney Hotels. The switch to Expedia is when the change occurred. It's likely just a decision driven by $$. When somebody books a trip with URs, Chase is receiving some discount there and sharing a portion of that with Expedia to run the portal. I'd guess Chase wasn't pleased by what this would cost them vs. other hotels/redemption options. They may have tried to negotiate with Disney, but Disney's stance is that if somebody wants to come there, they probably will (regardless of how URs work). So as they said in the tweets - they mutually decided to remove Disney hotels from the portal.

I just laughed out loud at this comment on DoC's page about the fee-free MCGCs at Staples next week.

View attachment 389927

LOL! I am very behind, but wanted to say thanks for posting about the fee free gift cards. I'm glad I didn't just skip ahead. I've been waiting for a promo since I'm working on a CIC MSR. My store had a sign with a limit of one, but I should be able to go back a few more times this week.

We stayed at the Marco Island Marriott about 8 years ago and it was wonderful!! I can't comment on the current state but if it was easier to get to, we'd be going more often. I loved that Marco Island is more "old FL" like than FL has become. I grew up near Tampa in the 80's-90's when there were still orange groves around and roadside boiled peanuts.

My dad and family grew up in Lakeland, and he used to pick oranges in high school (they got paid by the bushel!)... I was born in the Panhandle, and when we would come visit, we'd never use I-10/I-75, always 98 - those boiled peanut stands were the BEST!!!

Have you watched The Good Place? Sounds like you might like it based on what else you watch.

The Wire is amazing!! I'm loving The Good Place too, but I've only watched it on Netflix so I haven't seen the latest season.

Those who have booked rental cars through the UR portal, if you cancelled and rebooked because the price dropped, how quickly did your URs come back? I've done it with hotels and it was always in 10min or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter