I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How cool is this for families?! A 3-in-1 trundle sofa instead of the typical pullout. I am in love with this. My girls have no problem sharing a bed, but my boys will not. I think they might be on board with this.

https://springhillsuites.marriott.com/westelm/

gx43KJP.jpg

How cool is this for families?! A 3-in-1 trundle sofa instead of the typical pullout. I am in love with this. My girls have no problem sharing a bed, but my boys will not. I think they might be on board with this.

gx43KJP.jpg
This is great! It would be great to see hotels continue to embrace alternative bedding arrangements to the old "two doubles" setup. It seems we've seen some movement in this area recently and that's great! The sleeping arrangements get awkward and/or frustrating pretty quickly for many families I talk to. (I concede that we are somewhat blessed to have 2 daughters that are close in age making this easier for us)

Logan might be my least favorite... :rolleyes1

This doesn't surprise me :-) And if you've seen Year in the Life it really doesn't. I understand the arguments on all of them and really I think a lot of it is that I just like Matt Czuchry the best. Jess always annoyed me and that role will always follow Milo V to me and I don't generally watch stuff he's in because I like watching him act. I watch GG on UP and they're in the 2nd half of season 5 so I'm enjoying them. I tend to skip parts of 2 and 3 but I've probably see every ep at least 3 times.

Che from The OC will FOREVER follow Chris Pratt and is a big reason why if he's not being chased by dinosaurs I don't watch. And yes I realize that a role doesn't define the actor and blah blah.

This doesn't surprise me :-) And if you've seen Year in the Life it really doesn't. I understand the arguments on all of them and really I think a lot of it is that I just like Matt Czuchry the best. Jess always annoyed me and that role will always follow Milo V to me and I don't generally watch stuff he's in because I like watching him act. I watch GG on UP and they're in the 2nd half of season 5 so I'm enjoying them. I tend to skip parts of 2 and 3 but I've probably see every ep at least 3 times.

Che from The OC will FOREVER follow Chris Pratt and is a big reason why if he's not being chased by dinosaurs I don't watch. And yes I realize that a role doesn't define the actor and blah blah.

I can't pick a team because I wasn't crazy about ANY of Rory's guys. They all had issues.

I was going to say I can't stand Logan, but then I don't really like the other ones either, LOL.

gx43KJP.jpg
We stayed in a SpringHill suites for a night this past November when we were in Texas. My kids loved this! I have one ds and one dd who sleep well together but then the other two really need their own bed so this was awesome.

I can't pick a team because I wasn't crazy about ANY of Rory's guys. They all had issues.
Don’t give anything away! Right now Rory just got with Dean. By the way, I had no idea Jared padalecki was in this and I find it ironic that his name happens to be dean

Don’t give anything away! Right now Rory just got with Dean. By the way, I had no idea Jared padalecki was in this and I find it ironic that his name happens to be dean

I'm kind of jealous that you are getting to watch it for the first time. I really like it, but it was a bit better when I didn't already know what was going to happen. Oh, and you have me watching it right now LOL.

I'm kind of jealous that you are getting to watch it for the first time. I really like it, but it was a bit better when I didn't already know what was going to happen. Oh, and you have me watching it right now LOL.
I’ve already watched 9 episodes lol. Dh isn’t gonna be happy. I’m not sure he would really like it though. It’s pretty girly for his tastes

I can't even comprehend how it's even possible to have never seen GG. I think it's only on hulu, but if The OC ever gets on netflix or you get hulu, watch it!

Also, Team Logan! I'm aware of all of the arguments of any team and it's still my pick. Also, the Gilmore Guys podcast is fun if you want to go back and listen, though it started off not that great. It's at least good for the interview eps since their review of each episode of GG is well over an hour. They were great for getting through the workday though. I was sad when it ended.
I haven’t seen the final season that came out a few years ago but I’m also Team Logan if I have to choose. I’m rewatching during treadmill runs now to keep me entertained. And I love a good podcast!

For those on the grAAvy train to Disney - still no reappearance of Disney hotels.

I know it's too late for some of you, but for those early on the train ride or just boarding, you really can't go wrong with a business only strategy. This will leave your 5/24 status untouched. Even if you use Venmo to hit the MSR, I outlined the other day how Disney Gift Cards still brings you out ahead.

For example - on the 75k for $5k offer, in a worst case, you could pay ~$145 in Venmo fees and get ~$320 in Disney Gift Cards out of the signup. If you meet the spend organically the whole $320 is yours. (Of course you're only getting 6.4% on that return which maybe could've gone to a different card/MSR and earned substantially more). Assuming you used Venmo, you still get $320 towards a Disney trip (minus $145) = $175 net in your pocket (or you could look at it as a 55% discount on Disney gift cards depending on how you like to see things). I'm not factoring in a cost of a biz mailer here, so if you can't get your hands on one of them for free, I guess that also impacts the math.

Perhaps it's best to avoid personal cards unless you know you have another good use for the points (or until we're sure Disney is back and stabilized again - although will we ever really know if a Disney redemption is safe, after seeing the UR rug pulled out from under us). I would do all of the things above for a biz card with no issue, I would not sacrifice a "5" slot for a personal card though if my best option is a Disney gift card.

I'm not advocating for or against the strategy - just pointing out that if we lose hotels, you can still get value out of your points towards Disney. Of course, if you can use those points for flights or something else, even better. Swan and Dolphin do still show up so there's that!

Please bring me up to speed. What are the current Plastiq & Venmo offers? I think either choice may be out of my league, but still feel like I should know. I’m guessing a discussion on both is on reddit? Also, I heard Disney pulled the rug on UR because they were coming out with a vamped up rewards card, but I haven’t seen or heard anything to suggest that. Just curious why they would not want to do something, especially with all the new resorts they are building. I suppose it could be as simple as they don’t need to?

Quick question on authorized users. I know that an authorized user counts in the 5/24 limit. I just took out CSR and realized DH does most of the spending. I order things on line and plan our travel and all that, but he goes to the grocery store, picks up our prescriptions, picks up the take out etc. is there anyway around me just having to give him my card to use so we can both be making purchase on the account without adding him as an authorized user?

I understand. I just think it makes more sense than ABDs in the US. Personally, China is one I won't do alone but then again I don't think I'll ever get there anyway, so ABDs super high prices don't worry me. I'd love to go, but have breathing issues so it's not a great place for me.

I'd do the same for Japan. It's very different from China.

I'm asthmatic which may be what triggered the BP due to the air quality and how it affected my upper respiratory system while in China or not. No one really knows for certain what causes BP. Here at home I only need the inhaler a couple of times a year. In China I was using it several times a day. So there is that to consider. I also have not fully recovered from BP. The right side of my face still doesn't coordinate with the left and my right eye doesn't fully blink so I sill wear an eye patch on occasion when it is irritated. I'm far better than many who don't fully recover so I am grateful for that. None the less, I would not trade in the experience of my trip even knowing what would happen. #noregrets

Oddly enough, I would totally visit Japan on my own. I agree the culture is completely different.

I haven’t researched enough about China yet, but that’s my big trip planned for 2021. I’m having a bit of second thoughts though, with it being a communist country.

I only say that because of my awareness with the increased itineraries of Americans going to Cuba. Not to get into the political realm, but we have 2 separate groups of friends who are Cuban (from Cuba) who fled the country and each hate the fact Americans go to Cuba as it doesn’t benefit the people, just the country/government they escaped from.

I’m sure a simple google search would yield me the results I’m looking for, but is China pretty much the same way for those who have been? After speaking with our Cuban friends personally, we won’t go to Cuba. So I’d hate to support a repressive government with my dollars simply because I’m unaware of the political/individual repercussions.

Cc @calypso726

I am Hispanic, my mom was born in Cuba. The family fled back in 1960 I think. Neither she or I would ever set foot there. TBH I don't know how tourist dollars impact China and the people. I didn't think of it until you mentioned it on this thread. It is food for thought though. Since we did an ABD trip, I think my mind was on the idea of my dollars going directly to Disney as usual.

i highly recommend u go to china with a tour guide if u dont look asian. china ppl can sometimes be super racist. Other than that, they mostly leave u alone and u dont see much politics going on publicly.
do highly recommend Xi'an, Bejing, Gulling and shanghai. ive been to them all.
china is a place i do really want to go back to.

another idea is Taiwan, although not a whole lot to see compared to China but great foods! everyone ive talk to that went to Taiwan has said they want to go back!

Those are the locations we visited with ABD. Hmmm, I will look into Taiwan as a future destination. Thanks for the pro tip!

I haven’t researched enough about China yet, but that’s my big trip planned for 2021. I’m having a bit of second thoughts though, with it being a communist country.

I only say that because of my awareness with the increased itineraries of Americans going to Cuba. Not to get into the political realm, but we have 2 separate groups of friends who are Cuban (from Cuba) who fled the country and each hate the fact Americans go to Cuba as it doesn’t benefit the people, just the country/government they escaped from.

I’m sure a simple google search would yield me the results I’m looking for, but is China pretty much the same way for those who have been? After speaking with our Cuban friends personally, we won’t go to Cuba. So I’d hate to support a repressive government with my dollars simply because I’m unaware of the political/individual repercussions.

Cc @calypso726

This is a super interesting discussion to me. I like to deep-dive on travel blogs every so often, and I've seen pictures and reports from places like Turkmenistan and Democratic Republic of the Congo. Turkmenistan has a guided tour for tourists much like North Korea so the dollars are going directly to the regime. I'm super interested in such a thing from a curiosity standpoint but don't know if I could ever bring myself to do something like that from an ethical perspective.

But... sometimes it does... :laughing:

Maybe I'll watch Year in the Life soon. I started but didnt finish it. I think I watched 1.5 episodes. Weve been catching up on marvel
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter