I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A report on r/churning days Amex 1099s for support clicks might be arriving starting today.

For those that got wrapped up in clawbacks, keep us in the loop on what things look like.

Does anyone run their taxes with and without all of the bank account bonus 1099s? I'm thinking of trying that out this year to see the impact. I got a bunch of bank bonuses, most of which will generate a 1099.

The only thing I can think of is a BBP for DH with a cross support from either your Hilton or Marriott. But then that's starting another points currency. Not sure if want that or have use for MRs.
You’re honestly in a tough spot. You could be playing with Amex pop up fire if you keep going back to that well. That said, the increased offer on the BBP is a big hit right now...

Ok! This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. It may just be time to dip into the new world of MRs....

Worse case, we could just put some spend on random AMEX's to keep from pop ups in the future. I'd really like both of us to get Platinum AMEX's at some point...

There is still support links though, correct? I'll check Reddit tonight. Doesn't come up on my work computer lol....
Yes - there are support links out there - that's actually the only way to get that offer :D. You just can't cross-support unless your other player has an Amex branded card.

Ok! This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. It may just be time to dip into the new world of MRs....

Worse case, we could just put some spend on random AMEX's to keep from pop ups in the future. I'd really like both of us to get Platinum AMEX's at some point...
BBP is a decent biz card to put some everyday spend on when you're in between MSRs.

Does anyone run their taxes with and without all of the bank account bonus 1099s? I'm thinking of trying that out this year to see the impact. I got a bunch of bank bonuses, most of which will generate a 1099.
Funny you should ask. I started doing my taxes online and when I put in the first bonus of $175 my refund went down by $418. When I did the rest the refund went down by my tax rate, which is what I would expect. I am certainly no tax expert, but I don't understand how a refund can go down by $418 with only $175 more in income. Even if that pushed me to another tax bracket wouldn't make sense, because that was 38%. So I'm wondering is it something with the program I'm using. If it is correct, and I don't really know how I'd know if it isn't, besides staring over using a different program. So as it is right now I had $1509 in bank bonuses and my refund went down by $574. So still made almost $1k, but it did make me wonder if it's worth it.

Funny you should ask. I started doing my taxes online and when I put in the first bonus of $175 my refund went down by $418. When I did the rest the refund went down by my tax rate, which is what I would expect. I am certainly no tax expert, but I don't understand how a refund can go down by $418 with only $175 more in income. Even if that pushed me to another tax bracket wouldn't make sense, because that was 38%. So I'm wondering is it something with the program I'm using. If it is correct, and I don't really know how I'd know if it isn't, besides staring over using a different program. So as it is right now I had $1509 in bank bonuses and my refund went down by $574. So still made almost $1k, but it did make me wonder if it's worth it.
That's odd.

I'd just multiply the bonuses by my marginal tax rate (22%) if I wanted to know.

Did it push you over a threshold where your income became too high for a particular credit to apply? Those cliffs can be odd sometimes.

AmEx offer

Hilton hotels in Mexico
Spend $500 get $75 back, expires 3/31/20

And what I get for looking in the app instead of the web - there's actually a few more Hilton's out there that all expire 3/31:
Tru by Hilton
Spend $150 or more, get $30 back

Hilton brand hotels in Puerto Rico
Spend $350 or more, get $60 back

Could be others? I think I just have those 3.

I'm having an issue with Hertz. We dreopped of the car after hours and put the key in the drop box. Now they're saying they don't have the car. I'm horrified and confused what to do now.
We had this happen once with Alamo (by DLR, actually). We dropped off after hours... even saw the car in the Alamo lot as we walked by the next morning to DLR, boxed in by other cars at that point... Got a call around noon asking us where we were. Luckily it did get resolved but we kind of got the run around on the phone with them periodically throughout the day, either they'd say they hadn't found it or whoever answered the phone couldn't answer us. We had to keep calling them to follow up, they didn't call us. We stopped in the next morning before going to DLR and asked at the counter and they were just like oh yeah, it was there, no issues. Gee thanks. At least they figured it out because it was gone by then, they must have rented it again :badpc: Hopefully this gets squared away for you. Where are you at? I'd keep checking in with them periodically if they are not good about calling you for an update...

Did it push you over a threshold where your income became too high for a particular credit to apply? Those cliffs can be odd sometimes.

That's right, I did think of that, but didn't get a chance to look at the actual return. I do get a few of those credits, so that would definitely make sense. Which would then mean that I effectively paid 38% on those bonuses. :sad1:

ETA: You were right, I lost $400 retirement savings credit. :sad: So then the numbers totally make sense. Thanks for solving the mystery!

Last edited:
We had this happen once with Alamo (by DLR, actually). We dropped off after hours... even saw the car in the Alamo lot as we walked by the next morning to DLR, boxed in by other cars at that point... Got a call around noon asking us where we were. Luckily it did get resolved but we kind of got the run around on the phone with them periodically throughout the day, either they'd say they hadn't found it or whoever answered the phone couldn't answer us. We had to keep calling them to follow up, they didn't call us. We stopped in the next morning before going to DLR and asked at the counter and they were just like oh yeah, it was there, no issues. Gee thanks. At least they figured it out because it was gone by then, they must have rented it again :badpc: Hopefully this gets squared away for you. Where are you at? I'd keep checking in with them periodically if they are not good about calling you for an update...
Thanks. No one is actually picking up at the place. I've been calling all day. I got a call from Hertz corporate but they didn't know anything either. I returned it Sunday night. This was in Miami Beach. South Beach. I'm home already.

I was so excited to get this email
View attachment 465249

Then I got this:
View attachment 465251

I guess I'll keep that email and try again later.
Sorry it isn't working! I was so happy you mentioned it because I got an email that I was enrolled in pay over time on my Plat so I wanted to remove it to get targeted for a deal. Well I just had a lovely chat with Amex and I was enrolled in SELECT not DIRECT which allows me to choose charges over $100 to pay over time. If I remove it, I cannot re-enroll in ANY pay over time select/direct on the account, ever. I guess I will leave it then. 🙄

Last edited:
True Confessions... I screwed up a bank bonus :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Guys- I don't screw up bank bonuses. I'm meticulous! ...but I missed this detail, was moving too fast and I did not do my double check before the date passed to qualify

Incredible Bank ran a $175 checking promo for like a day. I got in on it. I did my direct deposits, enrolled in online banking but missed the requirement to download the app. Months later bonus day came and I didn't get it. I chatted and the said I didn't qualify as I didn't download the mobile app.
😞 Oh no! Can you be like I downloaded it, but forgot to log-in? Seems ridiculous to deny for that little bit of it.

BBP is a decent biz card to put some everyday spend on when you're in between MSRs.

what about an American Airlines CitiBusiness Platinum Select - 70,000 miles after $4k spend in 4 months? While we haven’t started down that path, we’ve also never had a CitiCard and could use AA miles in the next year or two. I thought I saw some type of“saga” but I haven’t been able to find all the details.

I know this is triggering for some (so fair warning, LOL), but I found this article really helpful to link up my Delta and Hilton accounts for Lyft. The CSR part was a breeze. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/lyft...&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=thepointsguy

In other news ... total churning fail. This is the second time I've made this same mistake. I constantly confuse myself on the differences between the business platinum and personal platinum. For some reason I had it in my head that hotels booked directly with the personal plat get 5x. They don't. The difference is that airlines booked directly with the airline on the personal platinum get 5x points whereas it's only through the portal with the business. So for the second time I paid a hotel directly with my husband's platinum thinking I'd be getting 5x. Banging head. I even have a spreadsheet, but I didn't bother looking because I *thought* I knew what I was doing.
True Confessions... I screwed up a bank bonus :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Guys- I don't screw up bank bonuses. I'm meticulous! ...but I missed this detail, was moving too fast and I did not do my double check before the date passed to qualify

Incredible Bank ran a $175 checking promo for like a day. I got in on it. I did my direct deposits, enrolled in online banking but missed the requirement to download the app. Months later bonus day came and I didn't get it. I chatted and the said I didn't qualify as I didn't download the mobile app.

Oh, sorry about that, but it makes me feel a teensy bit better about the one I recently messed up. I was targeted for a $300 Santander bonus. Unfortunately, I opened it on the first of whatever month. Didn’t get the info for setting up my direct deposit until like four days later. I think it had to be three $500 dds in 90 days. Stupid me had my very small first of the month pension deposited. Didn’t get the bonus because they counted from the first, and with some months having 31 days, I was a few days over 90. I could have kicked myself! There are two ways I could have prevented this, by either opening it mid month, or using part of my actual biweekly paycheck for a direct deposit. (I was using it at the time for another bonus, which thankfully I did get.)

Very expensive lesson learned. Grrrrr. I wasn’t even going to confess it, but since “you showed me yours; I’ll show you mine.” Hopefully it will keep someone else from making the same mistakes I did.

😞 Oh no! Can you be like I downloaded it, but forgot to log-in? Seems ridiculous to deny for that little bit of it.
No... you see... I had a very thorough chat with them and they told me I didn't get the bonus because I never enrolled in the mobile app. At that point I opened the mobile app that was already downloaded to my phone, logged in (login and password were already on phone) and kinda proceeded to give the chat person a large amount of guff because obviously I'd done this before. She contacted IT who reported back I never enrolled, I balked, she finally asked what the app looked like... at this point I realized they rolled out a new app, this was the app from last year frozen in time showing a snapshot of my previous account with them... tail between my legs I thanked the rep for her help and am calling my money home...

No... you see... I had a very thorough chat with them and they told me I didn't get the bonus because I never enrolled in the mobile app. At that point I opened the mobile app that was already downloaded to my phone, logged in (login and password were already on phone) and kinda proceeded to give the chat person a large amount of guff because obviously I'd done this before. She contacted IT who reported back I never enrolled, I balked, she finally asked what the app looked like... at this point I realized they rolled out a new app, this was the app from last year frozen in time showing a snapshot of my previous account with them... tail between my legs I thanked the rep for her help and am calling my money home...

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter