I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heads up for anyone in Cambridge Savings Bank's footprint (MA, CT, ME, NH, RI, VT). DoC posted this week about a new $400 bonus. You can fund with cc up to $1k. This aligns great with my new SW card.

Question - I called to reduce my cash advance limit before opening the bank account and the only way they could do it was to lower my credit limit. I was told the cash amount is tied to the credit limit (20%). Is this a new Chase policy or specific to the SW cards?

My home airport is TPA, however I've never had to use a rental car here. I've arrived several times around 11pm, and have always felt safe. The airport is very easy to navigate has the weirdest security screening set up (they use the monorail system to get from the terminals to the main hub where the ticketing/baggage claim areas are). Very easy to get to WDW from there, if that is what you're doing - especially at that time of night.

Fixed it for you. lol I have never seen an airport that has TSA after the little train system. Or maybe I don't notice until security makes me go back to the ticket counter which means going back on the train. Good thing we were early and had precheck, I would have been freaking out otherwise. OK, I was still freaking out, lol, because that is what I do. Turns out I accidentally put DS birth year wrong on his ticket and the TSA kicked him out. Was an easy fix but having to go back on the train adds a lot of time.

First I want to say hey to @SouthFayetteFan. I've seen a lot of you over the past month on the RotR thread. I guess you're everywhere- and with so much helpful info! Now that we've gotten through our January trip I'm ready to start planning the next and the more we go, the more I want to go, so I need to find a way to pay for all these trips.

Ok, so here we go...
DH and I are not new to this game, but I know we've only scratched the surface of what we can do. Mostly we've done Chase cards. We take turns with the Southwest cards and one of both of us have held a CP for at least a decade. I had the old Marriott Chase card but closed it several years ago. We've both taken turns with Chase cards offering UR. We also both have CO Venture and have used that primarily for the SUB. We have used points to book our rental cars, reimburse travel expenses, and we like using it on hotels.com to earn the 10% rewards plus one free night after every 10 nights booked. Beyond that, we haven't done a lot. So, here's all of our info:

Apps in the last two years:
P1 (Me)
May 2018 Barclay Wyndham
Jan 2019 Chase Southwest personal
Jan 2019 Chase Southwest biz
Dec 2019 Chase Sapphire Pref
P2 (DH)
Oct 2019 Cap One Venture

We both also each hold a citi personal card, can't remember which ones, that we PC after earning a SUB a few years ago. Don't use but didn't cancel just to keep our credit history longer and available unused credit higher. We have Disney Visa which we don't use much but hold on to in the case of special offers for WDW packages. Also have a PNC credit card. We put everything we can on our cards to maximize rewards, mostly on the CO which earns straight 2%. We average $4000-$6000/month on our cards and pay in full each month.

Mostly interested in trips to WDW and on DCL. Although we do travel a lot with daughter's softball through the spring and summer. Seems like we end up in a lot of Hampton Inns with that and sometimes Marriott hotels. Definite 5 night stay this July at an Embassy Suites in South Carolina for Junior Olympic Cup. Fly out of Pittsburgh pretty much exclusively on SW because of CP and RR. We rent a car while at WDW and usually book through CO Venture on rewards. Travel party is usually me, DH, and two adult children now that my DD turns 18 next week. Both of our credit scores are 800+. I've never had the time to delve in to this much more than we have in the past, but with kids getting older and needing less of my time I'd like to up our game.

I know I'm close to the 5/24 but DH has a lot of room. Looking forward to advice on which cards to go for next and thanks in advance for your help!

SW sent an email about an hour ago that the flight had changed. My first thought was "yeah!" until I realized that they really changed it. They rebooked us onto flights earlier in the day, but I don't want to pull the kids out of school for a weekend trip. We haven't flown into TPA before, but the flight times work. Looks like it should only be about 30 minutes further drive to our house. Shuttle to rental cars. Any feedback on TPA airport at 11pm?

Eta- Think I'm going to bury my head in the sand until tomorrow and just hope that our preferred flight magically reappears.
TPA is a bit of a pain IMO for rental cars. After baggage claim you have to take elevator/escalator to the train. It's not terrible, just not super convenient.

I was able to add my signature and edit my profile pic - I was not a fan of that pink circle.

Well, DH and I used 2 CIC to pay for our new HVAC unit. We earned 0% interest for 12 months, 144K URs, & $1,400 Costco cash AND we have heat!

Now to move on to the next MSR.

The only other Hilton offer I've seen is the one for Tru by Hilton.

Have you tried seeing if you can get offers by going to https://www.americanexpress.com/us/network/shopping.html

I do that sometimes when the offer I want is not showing up on my cards; that's how I added the Tru by Hilton to my Aspire card.
It worked! :thanks: I've got to save that link.
But we still have no idea where we want to go this fall break, ugh... neither of us can come up with any good ideas. I think we both want to say Disney World but we agreed no Disney this year and we already have Disneyland booked for next month. We will also be hosting an exchange student so we want to take her somewhere representative of the US. Any good suggestions? We only have 5 days.
Could you do something like NYC, Yellowstone, or the Grand Canyon?
We are in Oklahoma and she’s a 5th grader from Spain. D.C would be cool but it might be too cold for me. I was also thinking NYC, but I don’t like the cold, but then neither DH or our kids have been to NYC.
I was going to suggest a National Park too, but DC or NYC would be good. When is your fall break? And what do you consider to be too cold? DC stays decently warm though the fall---I live a couple hours north and we usually don't need jackets in the daytime in mid-October.

If I have a Retail Me Not that says we will do our part by 1/16 and it still shows pending does that mean it did not track or might it load later in the day? It was for the disaster of the dishwasher purchase, which I did return, but I was hoping it would still track since I had to buy the 2nd one in store.
No. They are slow. I have one that they were supposed to do their part by 1/15. I'm expecting it today. I'd expect yours tomorrow.

ETA: Just got the email that it's been credited.

Holy smokes, just conned dh into a last minute (well for us anyway) trip to WDW to see Rick Springfield at the Flower and Garden festival!!! We were supposed to be done for awhile, but you know, Rick + AP + DVC + Airline miles = yeehaw!!!! Of course I can't get the same room for all 5 night yet, I will keep trying, but I did find rooms at least for all nights. It's also Star Wars race weekend, but who cares LOL, I'm going!

Fixed it for you. lol I have never seen an airport that has TSA after the little train system. Or maybe I don't notice until security makes me go back to the ticket counter which means going back on the train. Good thing we were early and had precheck, I would have been freaking out otherwise. OK, I was still freaking out, lol, because that is what I do. Turns out I accidentally put DS birth year wrong on his ticket and the TSA kicked him out. Was an easy fix but having to go back on the train adds a lot of time.

Ahhhh, I can see where that would be a pain!!! I had an incident at TSA (fun story for a later time!), but I didn't have to go back to the ticket counter. It would be nice if that would've been caught by the agents that check your info before getting onto the trains.

I am a crazy/anxious person that has to be at the airport at least 2 hours early, no matter what. That TSA incident made me very grateful for my craziness 🙂

It worked! :thanks: I've got to save that link.

I was going to suggest a National Park too, but DC or NYC would be good. When is your fall break? And what do you consider to be too cold? DC stays decently warm though the fall---I live a couple hours north and we usually don't need jackets in the daytime in mid-October.
We would be traveling 10/10-10/15.
I like the big city ideas. Now to come up with a plan to present to DH.

First I want to say hey to @SouthFayetteFan. I've seen a lot of you over the past month on the RotR thread. I guess you're everywhere- and with so much helpful info! Now that we've gotten through our January trip I'm ready to start planning the next and the more we go, the more I want to go, so I need to find a way to pay for all these trips.

Ok, so here we go...
DH and I are not new to this game, but I know we've only scratched the surface of what we can do. Mostly we've done Chase cards. We take turns with the Southwest cards and one of both of us have held a CP for at least a decade. I had the old Marriott Chase card but closed it several years ago. We've both taken turns with Chase cards offering UR. We also both have CO Venture and have used that primarily for the SUB. We have used points to book our rental cars, reimburse travel expenses, and we like using it on hotels.com to earn the 10% rewards plus one free night after every 10 nights booked. Beyond that, we haven't done a lot. So, here's all of our info:

P1 (Me)
May 2018 Barclay Wyndham
P2 (DH)
Oct 2019 Cap One Venture

We both also each hold a citi personal card, can't remember which ones, that we PC after earning a SUB a few years ago. Don't use but didn't cancel just to keep our credit history longer and available unused credit higher. We have Disney Visa which we don't use much but hold on to in the case of special offers for WDW packages. Also have a PNC credit card. We put everything we can on our cards to maximize rewards, mostly on the CO which earns straight 2%. We average $4000-$6000/month on our cards and pay in full each month.

Mostly interested in trips to WDW and on DCL. Although we do travel a lot with daughter's softball through the spring and summer. Seems like we end up in a lot of Hampton Inns with that and sometimes Marriott hotels. Definite 5 night stay this July at an Embassy Suites in South Carolina for Junior Olympic Cup. Fly out of Pittsburgh pretty much exclusively on SW because of CP and RR. We rent a car while at WDW and usually book through CO Venture on rewards. Travel party is usually me, DH, and two adult children now that my DD turns 18 next week. Both of our credit scores are 800+. I've never had the time to delve in to this much more than we have in the past, but with kids getting older and needing less of my time I'd like to up our game.

I know I'm close to the 5/24 but DH has a lot of room. Looking forward to advice on which cards to go for next and thanks in advance for your help!
If you thought RotR thread moves quick, you ain't seen nothing yet :D :D I just dropped you a PM inviting you to our DISchurners reddit group which you might find VERY helpful with a lot of insider tips! Your card stats are just screaming for a CIP and there's some info on DISchurners about that.

Ok, so here we go...

P1 (Me)
May 2018 Barclay Wyndham
P2 (DH)
Oct 2019 Cap One Venture

I think everyone's first question will be - Are you OK with business cards? And since you have a SW biz I am guessing yes. The Chase INK line of business cards are the easiest way to add URs fast. Start with the Chase Ink Preferred for a 80k sign up bonus. Support player 2 (or 1) for 20K support credit and another 80K SUB.

If you thought RotR thread moves quick, you ain't seen nothing yet :D :D I just dropped you a PM inviting you to our DISchurners reddit group which you might find VERY helpful with a lot of insider tips! Your card stats are just screaming for a CIP and there's some info on DISchurners about that.
I think everyone's first question will be - Are you OK with business cards? And since you have a SW biz I am guessing yes. The Chase INK line of business cards are the easiest way to add URs fast. Start with the Chase Ink Preferred for a 80k sign up bonus. Support player 2 (or 1) for 20K support credit and another 80K SUB.
Yes I'm good with business cards and I was thinking of Chase Ink Preferred but wanted to ask here first. I'll go for that and then DH can follow.

Yes I'm good with business cards and I was thinking of Chase Ink Preferred but wanted to ask here first. I'll go for that and then DH can follow.
Once you jump into DISchurners you'll see we have some support link threads where you can actually toss some "support" to another DISer. Consider joining in there before you click that "apply" button :D It's an awesome way to pay it forward to this new community you are now a part of!

If I have a Retail Me Not that says we will do our part by 1/16 and it still shows pending does that mean it did not track or might it load later in the day? It was for the disaster of the dishwasher purchase, which I did return, but I was hoping it would still track since I had to buy the 2nd one in store.
Mine that said 1/15 just posted this morning

Can you try to cancel now - it might give you the option to keep them as travel funds in lieu of a refund. If not, it should remain open for a few days. Maybe Sunday at the latest / somebody who got the actual email could probably tell us the window.
I received an email, thankfully only the flight number changed...it says the window is open until midnight 1/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter