I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finance rant appreciated!

My dad was a Fed economist (both at the Board and the FRB of Minneapolis). I agree they had no choice to cut and follow futures (which yesterday were saying another 25 basis points in April is likely). I guess with the meeting around the corner I was surprised. Glad the market rallied yesterday but I know it's not even close to being over. My investment horizon is > 20 years and I lived through the 2007 to 2009 recession, so I know we'll get through this:)
We were thinking about retiring last year. Glad we decided not to with the hit our investments took. We aren’t sure how long we are going to work yet. But I’m not pulling my money out now. Like you we lived through 2007-2009, so I agree.

I was checking Eurostar every few weeks looking for London to Paris in August. I've stopped checking. I figure that while the price may go up I'm not willing to commit at this point. Of course YMMV.

My feeling as well. It’s kind of sad. I’d hoped to have bought those tickets by now for our trip.

This is a relatively old Coronavirus story, but I hadn't read it until just now. To some it may be sensationalized but it reads as a personal experience from the cruise ship Diamond Princess quarantines.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ates-cruise-ship-couple-u-s-japan/4858107002/
With everyone's unsettled thought's on travel, it's difficult to know what to do.

I read another article yesterday that suggested those traveling to Italy might not only be in danger of contracting the virus, but might find medical services difficult to obtain. This hadn't occurred to me up until then, that if someone required hospitalization in another country that they might not have the option for that care, not because of insurance but because it was just not available. 'Limited access to adequate medical care in affected areas' is under 'travel' in the Italy level 3 travel section of the CDC website.

That said, we are heading to Hilton Head in 9 days. I'm just happy that we are in the US during this epidemic.

I've been in a gardening state the past few months. But we need flights for October. AA hostages here if we want direct flights, so it has to be AA :crazy2: It appears the grAAvy train is over? DH and I both did the Citi AA Biz Plat (mine 7/20/18 & DH 2/23/19). Just to make sure, the 48mo rule is applicable on the biz cards too, right? So we'd need to do personal cards this go round?

I stayed in Nov, Jan, and Feb and in February they were diligent about blocking the right lane with cones and speaking to everyone coming through. When I was stuck in line behind people, I noticed people being turned away.

@Haley R - I haven't ridden Skyliner but how about parking at DHS and taking the Skyliner to Epcot and back since it is so quick?
Hmm maybe I should make an ADR and modify it. I don’t really wanna park at HS first because it’ll be a lot of back and forth. I guess we’ll just try one of the resorts first and if it doesn’t work we’ll park at the parks

Hmm maybe I should make an ADR and modify it. I don’t really wanna park at HS first because it’ll be a lot of back and forth. I guess we’ll just try one of the resorts first and if it doesn’t work we’ll park at the parks
I have done this as well....and was prepared for them to look up a reservation when we went to the BC last month but they let us in when DH said we had one....in October they were checking

I stayed in Nov, Jan, and Feb and in February they were diligent about blocking the right lane with cones and speaking to everyone coming through. When I was stuck in line behind people, I noticed people being turned away.

@Haley R - I haven't ridden Skyliner but how about parking at DHS and taking the Skyliner to Epcot and back since it is so quick?
The Skyliner I did from DHS to EP was like half an hour
This is a relatively old Coronavirus story, but I hadn't read it until just now. To some it may be sensationalized but it reads as a personal experience from the cruise ship Diamond Princess quarantines.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ates-cruise-ship-couple-u-s-japan/4858107002/
With everyone's unsettled thought's on travel, it's difficult to know what to do.

I read another article yesterday that suggested those traveling to Italy might not only be in danger of contracting the virus, but might find medical services difficult to obtain. This hadn't occurred to me up until then, that if someone required hospitalization in another country that they might not have the option for that care, not because of insurance but because it was just not available. 'Limited access to adequate medical care in affected areas' is under 'travel' in the Italy level 3 travel section of the CDC website.

That said, we are heading to Hilton Head in 9 days. I'm just happy that we are in the US during this epidemic.
When I read about the person in their early 30s bringing it to NZ from traveling in northern Italy it hit home for me. I cannot risk bringing that home to my loved ones. If it gets us domestically, so be it. But if I brought it back from a known cluster area I would have a very heard time living with myself.

I did some research today and it seems that it wouldn’t be advantageous for us to buy insurance now for our late spring (May-June) Europe trip since we are past the cancel for any reason time frame.

Since the chance we’ll need to cancel is rising at the moment, my thought is if needed, to cancel a little before a month out (when Airbnb cancel window closes and DLP final payment is due).

Our trip is such a mishmash of different reservations including points bookings (a few non refundable - I had thought I’d made them all refundable but was mistaken), small bits here and there on my CSR (some insurance there). It sounds like canceling a month out would not be covered under any policy anyway, and our loss would be somewhere around $1k, which I could cover with UR to make it no actual financial loss to us. We did buy the optional insurance that came with the DLP portion of our trip.

The policies I’ve read say that trip interruption/cancellation due to state department warnings for current terrorist events ARE covered, but say nothing about state department warnings against traveling where there’s widespread sickness.

Once we get past that one month out point if we’ve decided to go for it, will there be a problem then with buying insurance to cover medical issues? I’d hate to buy it now and then cancel before it would even help having it.

I don’t feel confident that I’m well enough educated on this, so I’m hoping anyone knowing more than me might be able to help me with any misunderstandings/blind spots I might have. I’m not stressed out about it, but just want to make the best financial decisions. TIA and sorry for being so long winded. Lol
I ended up calling ours because I never could figure out if virus-related cancellations would have been covered & like yours, terrorism was listed as something they would cover. They told me any pandemic was NOT covered. Just thankful we didn't have to try to use it.

It seems like a no-brainer to me, that the same end result could occur whether you are stabbed or shot or blown up or laid out on a contaminated cruise ship, but hey. I don't make the rules.

When I read about the person in their early 30s bringing it to NZ from traveling in northern Italy it hit home for me. I cannot risk bringing that home to my loved ones. If it gets us domestically, so be it. But if I brought it back from a known cluster area I would have a very heard time living with myself.
I have said this so many times to people who are thinking of not cancelling their trips to affected areas despite the risk. You can, apparently, carry this virus to other people before you are symptomatic. You may not even get sick yourself! IMO you have a moral responsibility to not travel to affected areas at this time so as to protect your own family as well as vulnerable populations in your community. But... that logic doesn't work on everyone.

I've been in a gardening state the past few months. But we need flights for October. AA hostages here if we want direct flights, so it has to be AA :crazy2: It appears the grAAvy train is over? DH and I both did the Citi AA Biz Plat (mine 7/20/18 & DH 2/23/19). Just to make sure, the 48mo rule is applicable on the biz cards too, right? So we'd need to do personal cards this go round?
Gravy train is so dead it exploded and is lying about in pieces so small the air will carry it off to its grave 🤣... 😭

Updates on it’s ashes can be found on DISchurners.

I would feel safe having 2 Citi SUBs of any type per player for 2 years. But no more.

This was on my Chase Freedom this morning...
Offer Details
Earn $35 back when you make two transactions of at least $19.95 each on new AT&T TV service using your eligible card associated with this offer.

Offer expires 3/31/2020. Must make two eligible transactions with AT&T TV by 5/15/2020. Offer not valid on any other AT&T service. Excludes AT&T TV NOW and current AT&T TV NOW customers. Your $35 back will be earned within 30 days after making your second eligible transaction. Offer valid one time only.

I wonder if my regular ATT bill will work?

Last edited:
This was on my CF this morning...
Offer Details
Earn $35 back when you make two transactions of at least $19.95 each on new AT&T TV service using your eligible card associated with this offer.

Offer expires 3/31/2020. Must make two eligible transactions with AT&T TV by 5/15/2020. Offer not valid on any other AT&T service. Excludes AT&T TV NOW and current AT&T TV NOW customers. Your $35 back will be earned within 30 days after making your second eligible transaction. Offer valid one time only.

I wonder if my regular ATT bill will work?

Editing to add: now that I've realized this is Chase - offer for 5% off Vrbo and 10% off at Long John Silver's - I think I ate there once maybe 20 years ago. Maybe I'll try it again.....

And I got the offer for Nordstrom's Trunk Styling service on 5 cards -$50 off $150 - hasn't Amex figured out yet that I rarely shop for clothing anymore and when I do it is WHBM or Costco (lol)?

By no means an expert, but based on observation it seems to be running very nicely now. When there in November the thing spent a lot of time being stopped. In February it seemed to be running very well.

I could see it from my room and from the parking lot and also on my walks into Epcot and to DHS, so it's also in a lot of my pictures as background.

I may actually get in it one of these days. I can't testify to the time it takes as I haven't ridden. But I would think at the times that @Haley R is entering the parks, there would be little to no line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter