I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Delta Platinum Companion Certificate remains in your Delta account if you end up closing the card? I will call for a retention offer on the card as AF just posted yesterday (certificate posted this morning) but am really not feeling like keeping the card with the $250 AF. It does not really matter but just curious what to expect. Thanks.

There terms and conditions state the Delta Platinum Amex must be used to pay the cardholders fare and companions taxes/fees in order to use the companion certificate.

I have no idea if that is enforced, but would be interested in knowing if it is not a requirement.

There terms and conditions state the Delta Platinum Amex must be used to pay the cardholders fare and companions taxes/fees in order to use the companion certificate.

I have no idea if that is enforced, but would be interested in knowing if it is not a requirement.
It is actually. I tried to use a gift card to pay for part of the fare with mine a few weeks ago, and they said no, it can only be paid with the Delta Amex card.

FWIW in 2018 I booked a companion ticket and paid for my ticket and the companion fees with the regular AmEx Platinum -- not my Delta Amex Platinum. Everything went fine. It is possible they changed the terms since then. I usually check and do not remember noticing a requirement to pay with the Delta Plat or that I was doing anything risky, but it's possible I missed something and got away with it. Also possible I suppose that you're more likely to get away with it using another Amex card. But I'm guessing they changed the terms.

Does anyone know if the Delta Platinum Companion Certificate remains in your Delta account if you end up closing the card? I will call for a retention offer on the card as AF just posted yesterday (certificate posted this morning) but am really not feeling like keeping the card with the $250 AF. It does not really matter but just curious what to expect. Thanks.

The certificate remained for us twice when we closed the Delta Plat. We closed the Business one in Nov 2018 and it remained, it also remained for the Personal one we closed back in 2014.

ETA: We had no issues booking. Probably paid with the Delta Reserve.

I just paid for my parents' tickets to Fargo, ND using my mother's companion certificate generated by her DL plat but I used my DL Reserve. I think it used to be paying with any Amex, now it might be any DL Amex (I tried to pay with my personal plat and it didn't go through). Of course, that can change at Amex's whim.

Thanks and that's what I've been finding. I was thinking we could fly into London and home from another city. Any recommendations on a city that is easier to fly out of and with lower fees? Even if it takes me back to the the US to a different city and I have to find a way to get back to Pittsburgh through SW or however. We plan to visit Paris, Venice, and Rome but we're just in the beginning planning stages so our plans are wide open.

I'll try searching round trip- thanks for the tip. Also open to flying home another airline and may actually help as far as rewards go because that would give us another reward currency to work on instead of trying to get really high balances of one type.
The nice thing about award flying is you can book one way. I don’t know very much about Delta or united but you can find business class seats on AA starting at 50k. My goal was to visit a city I hadn’t been to before. I originally found flights to Prague. When Carnival cancelled our cruise I had to start over. I found flights to Berlin. So we’re spending a few days in Berlin before our Disney cruise. Taxes are not bad out of most European cities. You can do mock searches on AA and see what the cost would be.

Were flying home from Copenhagen on British Airways. Since British Airways has fuel charges it’s 250.00 a person. The cruise ends in Copenhagen. AA does not have flights from Copenhagen so my options were limited.
I would also look at some of the transfer partners like Avianca and Flying blue. You can find award availability on airlines like Lufthansa and Swiss air. I’m not experienced doing this, but I’m sure ther are some on here that are.

It's the term being used for AmEx. It's a step in the AmEx approval process when the person applying for an AmEx card receives language that tells them they are ineligible for the card bonus (so no sweet 50k MRs or 125k Hilton). You can still get the card just not the reward we are all chasing. It seems to have a lot of randomness as to how gets hit with it. Some people only have 1 or 2 cards with AmEx and others have many. Some put no or limited spend on their cards and never see the popup and others put lots of spend on only certain cards and still get the popup. Sometimes putting send on the cards you have makes the popup go away, sometimes it doesn't. If you receive the dreaded popup, sometimes you can get immediately approved for a different card. So let's you were applying for a Hilton Aspire and you get the popup (Hilton seems to be very prone to popups for some reason), you could apply for the BBP and maybe get approved. There really is no rhyme or reason. The general advice is put consistent spend on all of your AmEx cards.

I found out I'm in pop up jail 😔 Most likely due to not putting every charge on my Pers and Biz HH. I know this will tick them off even more but anyone know if I go ahead and close the biz card at the one year or so mark that won't affect my point accumulated from that card. Despite them having separate sign in the point balance is the same on the pers and biz.

I seem to recall using the amex or Discover deal on Amazon, use at least 1 point to pay and get like 20% off,and then it allowed me to use my gc balance for the rest.... now I can't get it to do that,only options is to pay with the cc after using a point.... what am I doing wrong here?

Well, officially MSR less again. Failed that resolution already... again :laughing:

I was able to have the final payment on my landscape service split between the AA Biz card and the new CIU so I killed both off at once. It's been a couple days so I already see the bonus pending on Chase. I have another week or 10 days before the Citi card closes so I should be getting that this statement as well.

It's actually not a bad time to be MSR-less as this is our slow spending period. It doesn't start ramping up again until April-ish, now that my life insurance doesn't take a CC ( :sad1: ) But I feel so lost at the moment :laughing:

Anyone else having trouble changing a SW flight? I can't get DH's flight change, it keeps getting an error.
This is the error I keep getting, it would be 0 points to change the flight, there are 2 tickets left at that price but it says this:
A7B588EC-5EA8-4C16-8B26-A0A499FEDEC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Off topic but Disney related. The twins turn 5 at the end of April, and lately every day they ask how many days until their birthday. Found out that yesterday DD was handing out pieces of paper to the other parents at preschool pickup. Apparently she told them they were “invitations” to her party. At WDW.

Gonna need a LOT more points to take her whole preschool class to WDW 😂

Anyone else having trouble changing a SW flight? I can't get DH's flight change, it keeps getting an error.

Yes. But only with points bookings. I was able to successfully change a cash flight last week, but I've gotten error messages on two points flights I have tried to change to get some points refunded. The first was our outbound flight to Maui for Spring Break. It looked like I could get 3k+ points refunded, but I tried multiple times on different days and always got an error message. It was showing the same thing today. I tried to see what would happen if I just booked it as a new flight, but when I looked at it as a new booking, it showed WGA fares as sold out. Seems like there is some glitch in the SW system right now where it shows availability initially when you want to change, but the flight really isn't available to book.

Yes. But only with points bookings. I was able to successfully change a cash flight last week, but I've gotten error messages on two points flights I have tried to change to get some points refunded. The first was our outbound flight to Maui for Spring Break. It looked like I could get 3k+ points refunded, but I tried multiple times on different days and always got an error message. It was showing the same thing today. I tried to see what would happen if I just booked it as a new flight, but when I looked at it as a new booking, it showed WGA fares as sold out. Seems like there is some glitch in the SW system right now where it shows availability initially when you want to change, but the flight really isn't available to book.
I wonder if they are trying to fix the loophole? Ugh, I hope not.

Hilton no AF 100k/1k incognito offer is back.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv...s-card-no-annual-fee-card-100000-point-offer/
It's supposedly been around but I haven't seen it in a while. I just pulled it up first try just now though.

There's still the 75k+$100 statement credit offer out too. With how many points are needed for Hilton nights I'm inclined to go with more points if I can get it.

OMG! I was able to get this to work and not get the pop up! I'm so excited. I had not done anything special to try and get rid of the pop up either, so I'm pretty excited, and it will get here before my trip to Chicago. I said yes when it asked for the digital credit card number and when I clicked it, I got a window that said they were experiencing problems with the site and will give me a $60 statement for my trouble. :sunny:

Annual Pass prices went up again? I swear they just went up a couple months ago! #Ridiculous
>:(

Wow. With the last increase I could not make it work I don't even want to look now. I know it will never hurt their bottom line but the increases last time turned this year into a single trip year from what I was thinking would have been 2~3 with an AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter