I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s so funny. We get the 25 lb bags of jasmine rice from Sam’s club. It lasts us all of one month. People are in shock when they come to our house and see this gigantic bag of rice that would last normal people a year :laughing:

We buy a lot of rice also, but I've gotten a smaller rice cooker and have convinced DD to make half what she usually cooked as we were tossing a lot. I've read that you shouldn't store leftover rice. I buy several kinds. Jasmine, brown, and then the one that turns into sticky rice that I get at the base commissary - neighbor picks me up a couple of 10 pound bags every so often. I've found it in a teeny bag at Wegman's and that's it.

So I'm lazy and love frozen rice (I get it at Wegman's or Trader Joe's). I used to eat it with Costco rotisserie chicken but I'm trying to cut back on carbs so I now only have baby carrots or steamed vegetables with my chicken. If I'm being honest I could eat rice if I cut back on sweets, but that's not happening!

My favorite rice preparations:
- With butter and salt for a carby snack
- Whisked with an egg, soy sauce, and topped with scallions for breakfast
- Red beans and rice
- Mixed with black beans, pico de gallo, and cheese for a budget lunch/dinner
- Fried rice
- As a side with chicken and veg

With only two people and usually being pretty lazy with meal prep we don't go through *that* much rice, but I can see how a bigger family under quarantine could eat through it pretty quick! I made about 12 cups of brown and jasmin yesterday and expect that to last us most of the week.

In addition to many of the above, I buy Tasty Bite Madras Lentils at Costco. There are
8 pouches that you microwave for 1 minute in the microwave. Costco puts them on sale for around $8 every few months. I keep them on hand for a quick solo meal of lentils, rice and a pile of veggies. The grands love them with rice. I used to bring this to work, sometimes with the pouches of rice also and people would come in and ask what it was - I had a lot of people who started eating this as a quick lunch.

Last edited:
We buy a lot of rice also, but I've gotten a smaller rice cooker and have convinced DD to make half what she usually cooked as we were tossing a lot. I've read that you shouldn't store leftover rice. I buy several kinds. Jasmine, brown, and then the one that turns into sticky rice that I get at the base commissary - neighbor picks me up a couple of 10 pound bags every so often. I've found it in a teeny bag at Wegman's and that's it.

I freeze cooked rice all the time! I freeze it in those one cup ziplock containers. Don't pack it in too tightly.

I freeze cooked rice all the time! I freeze it in those one cup ziplock containers. Don't pack it in too tightly.

It's okay to freeze it. Here is what I am talking about - there are quite a few articles on it.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a26961305/leftover-rice-food-poisoning/
And, often I have fallen asleep after a meal to wake up a couple hours later to a kitchen needing to be cleaned and food put away, so it's all in your practices. Here DD never clears away anything. I do all the cleaning in the kitchen. (I'm okay with this.) So, in my case the rice gets tossed. One way for me to mitigate is to just cook what is going to be eaten right away.

We love the disney color brain game.
We love that one too! It’s one of the few games my DDs4 can play without help from me or DH.

I’m apparently in a minority here, but I don’t like rice. I’ll eat it, especially if it’s in a dish with a lot of spice like a curry, but I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve made it at home. My grandfather also disliked it. He was Italian, so maybe we just prefer our pasta.

The hospital furloughed hundreds of people this week, and our department is now officially shut down. I was able to secure a few hours for now for another department, but it’s less than half of my normal pay. Using up my PTO to make up the difference for a few weeks until I have a better idea of what the future holds. ☹ I’m caught between being angry that this is happening to us and to others and being grateful for what we have.

We love that one too! It’s one of the few games my DDs4 can play without help from me or DH.

I’m apparently in a minority here, but I don’t like rice. I’ll eat it, especially if it’s in a dish with a lot of spice like a curry, but I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve made it at home. My grandfather also disliked it. He was Italian, so maybe we just prefer our pasta.

The hospital furloughed hundreds of people this week, and our department is now officially shut down. I was able to secure a few hours for now for another department, but it’s less than half of my normal pay. Using up my PTO to make up the difference for a few weeks until I have a better idea of what the future holds. ☹ I’m caught between being angry that this is happening to us and to others and being grateful for what we have.

That's definitely not the way anyone wants to use PTO! Stay safe

It's okay to freeze it. Here is what I am talking about - there are quite a few articles on it.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a26961305/leftover-rice-food-poisoning/
And, often I have fallen asleep after a meal to wake up a couple hours later to a kitchen needing to be cleaned and food put away, so it's all in your practices. Here DD never clears away anything. I do all the cleaning in the kitchen. (I'm okay with this.) So, in my case the rice gets tossed. One way for me to mitigate is to just cook what is going to be eaten right away.

Huh. I can't figure out how much rice to make, so I have been putting the leftovers in the refrigerator for years. Never had any issues. I do put all the food away as soon as dinner is over, though, so it's not sitting out for a long time. I grew up in a house where food was never wasted and I can't just throw something away unless it's really bad. Both my parents lived through WW2 where food was scarce or non-existant. My DM is dealing better with this current mess than I am.

I respectfully disagree with the bold part of the statement. I will concede the fact that the impact if far less than if ALL were self isolating.

Now I am going to address the point you ask that I have colored purple by answering why I am self isolating. It is possible that at any given point in time I could be positive for COVID19 and have no symptoms what so ever. This statement is true for every human being on this planet.

If I choose to stay home as much as possible then I am reducing the possibility of infecting another person. If I choose to leave my house and happen to unknowingly be masquerading as a walking petri dish of COVID19, then I am putting others at risk.

When I get too close to someone and clear my throat, exhale deeply, I could be leaving the virus lingering in the air. If I cough or sneeze and forget to do it inside my elbow or a tissue, that virus can hang in the air for a couple of hours and someone can walk through that space I just walked past later on and breathe it in. When I open a door, pick up merchandise from a shelf and put it back, inspect a piece of fruit at the grocery store and put it back, place my hands on any surface that another person may also place their hands, I could be leaving the virus behind. When someone else touches that surface and then touches their face, I have infected them and anyone they come into contact with. What if that unknown person is over 60, asthmatic like me, has high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, has cancer or lives with someone who does? By leaving my house, I increase the possibility that I unknowingly just killed someone. I can't control what others will or won't do. I can only control my own actions. Everyday that I don't leave my house, I can go to bed knowing that I did not play a part in someone else coming down with COVID19 and dying.

This is why I stay home as much as possible. I hope this helps :flower3:
it does help...thank you... I was feeling kind of frustrated yesterday about all the misinformation going around...... it helps to remember that the less I move about, the less chance I have of making someone sick by accident.

I know they were totally out of elastic this week, as I have a friend who was making them. Seems there could be a way to do that without having the store open to the public, phone orders, or something, since they know what's needed since so many people have been doing it.
I had read a disturbing article elsewhere that they are using this idea of fabric being necessary for masks as a way to keep their stores open.

Southwest adjusts next Release Date:
Southwest has moved its next release date back to Thursday May 28th, 2020.

Currently the schedule is open through 10/30. This release will go through Jan 4th, 2021 and of course covers Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday travel dates. I'd stay posted as this has now changed 3 times and I'd imagine will change again as the future becomes more clear.
I hate trying to book Thanksgiving + Christmas at the same time! I may have to get dh to help me out :scared1: :rotfl:I'll need to book dd home for Thanksgiving, home for Christmas, and (fingers crossed) all of us to WDW!

1. I don't like rice either, but I make rice all the time for dh and the girls. I mean, I'll eat it once every two weeks or so but it's not my go-to.
2. I am so sorry ugh :hug: It's so hard to count your blessings at a time like this.
me too! the strangest thing in all of this is I feel like I can't plan any future getaways b/c I have no idea when we'll be able to travel normally again....
Yeah, travel planning/wishing is one of my favorite hobbies. Yesterday I was able to think about going to WDW over the holidays and for dd's 21st on Dec 30. I can't even look at any of my Australia plans, much less book the remaining hotels, internal flights, and the Great Barrier Reef island stay.

Huh. I can't figure out how much rice to make, so I have been putting the leftovers in the refrigerator for years. Never had any issues. I do put all the food away as soon as dinner is over, though, so it's not sitting out for a long time. I grew up in a house where food was never wasted and I can't just throw something away unless it's really bad. Both my parents lived through WW2 where food was scarce or non-existant. My DM is dealing better with this current mess than I am.
I store rice in the fridge all the time... ds1 had severe wheat allergy so we ate rice a LOT in our house,still do! Never once had a problem using it the next day or whatever.... if some does happen to get unused,I toss it out for the birds and squirrels as a snack...nothing goes to waste here is my goal. I was conversing with my elderly neighbor the other day (6 feet away in the driveway) who is pretty calm about all of the current goings-on.... he was telling me about living in Germany during ww2 and hiding in a basement for three years..... :oops: his perspective was interesting- he feels that staying home with plenty of food and calm surroundings is literally nothing to worry about! I was grateful to hear him talk...

it does help...thank you... I was feeling kind of frustrated yesterday about all the misinformation going around...... it helps to remember that the less I move about, the less chance I have of making someone sick by accident.

You are very welcome. I think most of us are going through and feeling what you are feeling periodically. I know I’ve had my moments of frustration, anxiety and helplessness cracking through the calm and cool facade I am trying to maintain. We are all in this together and there isn’t much we can control about the situation. We can only control what we do and if enough of us do the right thing then we can make a huge difference together. 😊

question for UR experts - how do I see or view my cruise travel plans? they aren't in my trips section.... I have the printouts I was sent, with conf. #'s and all.... but no way to view them online? Do I have to call in about them?(yikes right now) I can't even see terms or conditions for booking-I'm trying to determine if it's cancellable etc by a certain date,since I used UR for this,just unsure of what to do right now. thanks

backup plans...

We (family of 4 with two kids 3 and 6) have disney/miami vacation booked for July. Flights booked with chase UR are not refundable atm but everything else is. We're landig in MCO and leaving from FLL. We were going to do 5 nights disney and 3 nights miami. We have family in Orlando and Miami. I personally am 99% convinced disney will not happen for us, either because its closed or because we chose not to go because of small children. So I will cancel that a week or two before the date.

But I'm wondering if a road trip would be possible. So I was thinking of booking refundable car rental and hotel rentals as a backup trip. Worst case, I can cancel those easily enough. Car rental is easy enough. But for hotel, I'm not sure where to book. Miami and orlando will be hotspots, so I'm guessing somewhere about an hour of each in a smallish town where we can go to an uncrowded beach and do some exploring/things alone.

Any suggestions?

I’m sorry you’re stuck in this situation. I can’t recall your location & IIRC you’re an outpatient department? Our ICU went from no COVID 19 patients 2 weeks ago, to 2 at beginning of last week, to what appears to be 8 today (I am off work, using PTO, but logged in to see what’s up this morning). I’m not privy to total number of COVID cases in our hospital but clearly cases are increasing. I’m just waiting for our governor to extend the shelter in place order (currently thru April 7 I believe)

Ok, quoted do not work for me for some reason, so multiple replies here, to whoever posted things LOL. All on rice.

The poster who said her husband eats rice with pasta...on our first cruise DD was 12, and picky, didn't like much meat. The first night in the dining room they got her white rice and mac and cheese. Then every night for the rest of the cruise, he had it waiting for her. I met up with him on Facebook several year later and he still remembered my dd ate that every night LOL.

Those lentils packets at Costco are delicious, I love those!!

I have NEVER thrown away cooked rice LOL. I always make twice what we need, and refrigerate the rest, as dd will eat it the next couple of days.

Ok,in all the fuss I've lost track of my IHG free night (it was not uncapped) it expired MArch 23...last I checked, I think it disappeared to be replaced with another free night good for a year....didn't I read somewhere (here?) that they were extending those that expired in this window? Or did I lose it by not calling in?
Call now. I don't what they'll do, but I have one that I haven't used yet either. I still have time.

I read they were being extended by 6 months but you have to call...

Edited to say not sure what they do if it is already cancelled.

Last edited:
What happens if you get a refund after you close a card?
I used my Barclay card to pay for part of my trip and then erased it. But then I had to cancel the trip. I expect a refund of the $1100 to show up soon on the card.
I'm booking a new trip for August and want to put the amount of the refund towards that trip, but I was planning on cancelling the card in June when the AF is due. IF I end up having to cancel the trip again (hopefully not, but we are talking hurricane season) what would happen with the refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter