I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed when I was paying our car insurance that our homeowners insurance bill had a pay now button next to the statement. Since we escrow our homeowners insurance and property taxes, what happens if I pay the bill before Wells Fargo gets around to it? Since we are working on MSR for 2 cards, it would be nice to be able to pay it ourselves if possible!

Never tried this, but I think you'd still have to pay the regular monthly amount (with the amounts that go into the escrow account) and end up with a bigger reserve than you need. Eventually the bank would get around to refunding the excess. I've received a refund for excess reserve before, but due to their monthly calculations being off.

If you've had the loan for at least a year, you might want to request to remove the escrow account. I did that after I started churning and it was fairly painless (all done through SM).

I bought a pair of NIB Birkenstock clogs a few weeks back at my local consignment store (she has online postings) b/c they were $40 for $150 shoes that I really need.... other than that...nothing. I can't bring myself to spend one red cent if it's not a pure necessity right now. I'm not sure when I'll ever go back to feeling like I need more material goods anyway. Just food and needed supplies for life here. I'm on lockdown mentality. I can see myself planning a trip (hopefully) late in the year,and spending more 'normally' for that if it happens.

I noticed when I was paying our car insurance that our homeowners insurance bill had a pay now button next to the statement. Since we escrow our homeowners insurance and property taxes, what happens if I pay the bill before Wells Fargo gets around to it? Since we are working on MSR for 2 cards, it would be nice to be able to pay it ourselves if possible!

I'm thinking the Pay Now button, might just use the normal escrow to pay in advance?

I haven't really spent anything either. DH was talking about getting a new shed possibly. We have been debating it for awhile. We have a small one that was here when we bought our house 20+ years ago. We resided it when we resided the house, so it doesn't look bad, but it's small and the inside it really terrible. We got a new mower last year and even though the deck is the same size as our old mower, it doesn't fit through the deck doors right, so we are going to have to either redo the doors or get a new shed. Just haven't decided which way to go yet.

Also found a book today that I'm thinking about getting - Lonely Planet USA's Best Trips. It looks like it puts road trips together with suggestions on where to stop and what to see. I think it might be fun to read and plan some vacations to places we've never been. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but thinking about it.

Never tried this, but I think you'd still have to pay the regular monthly amount (with the amounts that go into the escrow account) and end up with a bigger reserve than you need. Eventually the bank would get around to refunding the excess. I've received a refund for excess reserve before, but due to their monthly calculations being off.

If you've had the loan for at least a year, you might want to request to remove the escrow account. I did that after I started churning and it was fairly painless (all done through SM).
Bummer, we just had our annual escrow review, so I'm assuming we'd have to wait until next year around this time to get a refund for the overage :(

I did try to get rid of escrow, but since our loan is an FHA (with a low enough rate that we can't refi) we don't qualify to remove escrow unless we refi to a conventional loan down the road.

At least we have 6 months to make MSR if we need it! I just hoped this would be an easy big spend opportunity...

We received our stimulus check plus both regular paychecks all on the same day since we are both fortunate enough to still be employed and WFH. So that was nice. We are rolling the stimulus check right into our savings account to hit our emergency fund goal ahead of schedule. Future income that we were planning to send to to the e-fund will get used to finish up some electrical work on the house and fix my car A/C which has been broken for....three years....We did put $250 aside that we are planning to contribute to a local food bank.

I have a Delta question if anyone is dealing with rebooking through them right now. My mom and sister were going to go on a trip to Italy at the end of May before all of this happened. Nonrefundable flights were booked for cash directly through Delta. Obviously, they aren't going, although I don't think their flights have officially been cancelled. My mom is asking me for advice since I am the travel guru in my family, apparently! If I'm understanding correctly, Delta is offering them the following options:

1) They can rebook their travel to any destination for no change fee and no fare difference on a new flight departing by June 30, 2020.

2) They can rebook their travel to any destination one time for no change fee, but pay any fare difference, on travel completed by June 30, 2022.

3) They can cancel the flight with no cancellation fee and get a credit good to use on travel completed by June 30, 2022.

What option should they pick? I'm spoiled by Southwest's generous cancel/change policies, and would have thought that it would be more fair for them to offer option 1 but with a longer expiration date, e.g. 1 year from the date of travel (not one month, when it still may not be safe to travel at all...) Is there something we're missing here?

Question: for anyone that got Animal Crossing for Switch, is it a fun game for a 30-something that never played? I see everyone raving about it, but I never played it before. I do enjoy games such as Mario Kart, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Just Dance, Super Smash Bros., etc. I think I'd probably like it, I just know nothing about it. To keep on topic, it would help me meet MSR... lol

The Barclays Aviator Biz cards for me and DH are both approaching their first year, and I plan to cancel both of them since we have no plans to fly AA (plus I hate the website). Is it still the recommended procedure to cancel these cards BEFORE they reach a year, so they are cancelled before the AF hits?

I remember last year, people were having issues with the AF posting, they cancelled the card, then the AF wouldn't refund, and they couldn't check the status since they were locked out of the online account. Back then, I remember the suggestion was to cancel the card before it hit a year. Is that still the recommendation, or should I wait a full year as I would for any other card?

We received our stimulus check plus both regular paychecks all on the same day since we are both fortunate enough to still be employed and WFH. So that was nice. We are rolling the stimulus check right into our savings account to hit our emergency fund goal ahead of schedule. Future income that we were planning to send to to the e-fund will get used to finish up some electrical work on the house and fix my car A/C which has been broken for....three years....We did put $250 aside that we are planning to contribute to a local food bank.

I have a Delta question if anyone is dealing with rebooking through them right now. My mom and sister were going to go on a trip to Italy at the end of May before all of this happened. Nonrefundable flights were booked for cash directly through Delta. Obviously, they aren't going, although I don't think their flights have officially been cancelled. My mom is asking me for advice since I am the travel guru in my family, apparently! If I'm understanding correctly, Delta is offering them the following options:

1) They can rebook their travel to any destination for no change fee and no fare difference on a new flight departing by June 30, 2020.

2) They can rebook their travel to any destination one time for no change fee, but pay any fare difference, on travel completed by June 30, 2022.

3) They can cancel the flight with no cancellation fee and get a credit good to use on travel completed by June 30, 2022.

What option should they pick? I'm spoiled by Southwest's generous cancel/change policies, and would have thought that it would be more fair for them to offer option 1 but with a longer expiration date, e.g. 1 year from the date of travel (not one month, when it still may not be safe to travel at all...) Is there something we're missing here?
Unless they want to fly somewhere by end of June, and it costs as much as Italy, I would take the credit. Now that they extended it for so long it's a pretty decent offer.

The Barclays Aviator Biz cards for me and DH are both approaching their first year, and I plan to cancel both of them since we have no plans to fly AA (plus I hate the website). Is it still the recommended procedure to cancel these cards BEFORE they reach a year, so they are cancelled before the AF hits?

I remember last year, people were having issues with the AF posting, they cancelled the card, then the AF wouldn't refund, and they couldn't check the status since they were locked out of the online account. Back then, I remember the suggestion was to cancel the card before it hit a year. Is that still the recommendation, or should I wait a full year as I would for any other card?
Several of us have posted about the joys of cancelling this in the last day or so LOL. My fee had posted, and it has now been credited back for a balance of zero. Doesn't say closed, but says restricted. Since the fee was removed I am assuming it was cancelled.

I picked option 3 but only because I have no current plans to travel with delta at all in the near future.

I haven't really spent anything either. DH was talking about getting a new shed possibly. We have been debating it for awhile. We have a small one that was here when we bought our house 20+ years ago. We resided it when we resided the house, so it doesn't look bad, but it's small and the inside it really terrible. We got a new mower last year and even though the deck is the same size as our old mower, it doesn't fit through the deck doors right, so we are going to have to either redo the doors or get a new shed. Just haven't decided which way to go yet.

When I first read that, I thought you were residing in the shed while something was being done to the house :D. Thought to myself that sounds like one heck of a shed ... too good to replace. Then I re-read

Several of us have posted about the joys of cancelling this in the last day or so LOL. My fee had posted, and it has now been credited back for a balance of zero. Doesn't say closed, but says restricted. Since the fee was removed I am assuming it was cancelled.

Tried to cancel P2s JetBlue Biz by SM last week. Received an email to say they had responded, but can't access any messages in the account - it does say restricted though - so hopefully it is closed. Have to do it all again next month with my JetBlue Biz - then I will be free of Barclays stupid business card websites. :bounce:

Was able to close my Barclays Aviator card online via SM. I first asked if there was anything they could offer to keep the card (I wanted the $95 AF waived), but they said absolutely no. So I messaged back to close the card, and when I logged in this morning it said the account was closed, and I would be credited back the AF. It took 2 weeks to get to this point, lol... a week reply for the first message I sent for a retention offer, and another week reply for the message that they closed my account. In case this may be helpful to anyone.

Thanks! Sent Barclays an SM for a balance refund a few days ago, was wondering when they'd get to it.

This is my "churning fun" these days (if it can even be called that) - waiting for balance refunds. Chase SM took a week, but the refund checks came pretty quickly. Amex, I asked for the balance to be applied to another account, but it's been 9 days and it hasn't been applied yet. The negative balance is on closed cards, so maybe that complicated things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter