I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel really bad asking- no worries if no one replies, but if anyone with DVC access could check availability for Riviera resort:
1 or 2 bedroom
11/21-11/26 or
12/5-12/10

Again, I hate to inconvenience anyone. Thanks.
I’m a couple days behind on the thread and catching up, so someone may have already shared this and I just haven’t seen it yet. Here is a great website for checking DVC availability:
https://tools.dvcvacations.com/points-calculator

So I’ve gotten pretty good at collecting miles and points, but I’m not very savvy at using them yet.

Our family of 4 is flying from Raleigh, NC to Zurich (June 24) and then from Munich back to Raleigh (July 5) in 2022. The dates and cities are locked in because they are based on a Tauck tour we are doing there.

The other thing that’s locked in is that I’ll be using United miles. We had booked this same trip in 2020, and I transferred URs to United and was able to book 3 of the 4 of us in economy for 60k each round trip (to Switzerland on Swiss Air and home on Lufthansa). Since that trip got cancelled, I’ve got those 180k United miles, plus I recently got the United Quest card, so I should have another 100k miles coming by the time I book. I’ve also got more URs if I need to top off my United miles.

With all that - what’s my best strategy for booking? We’d LOVE to fly first/business class, of course, or even premium economy would be great, but we will survive in economy (“free” flights are always tolerable!). We never fly United so I’m happy to blow every single mile I have on this trip to get the best experience.

Last thing I’ll mention - since it’s our family of 4 traveling (and because I’m super Type A), I’m not comfortable leaving a lot to chance or waiting to book at the last minute, hoping for a better deal. I would just as soon go ahead and book the best deal available when award seats open up.

THANKS in advance for any suggestions!

Off topic, but all your talk about college tours got me thinking. Any suggestions for how to find colleges/universities that might be a good fit for a particular kid. DD is a sophomore, good student but anxious when under too much pressure. I want to send her out of TX, preferably a smaller school (maybe 10k kids max) with moderate level academics. She's interested in being a teacher or psychologist, likely work with special ed kids, so prestige is not a factor. $$ is a consideration but private is doable as long as it's LGBTQ friendly. I'm basically searching the internet blindly and her hs counselor is no help at all. Any websites, online forums, or regional university suggestions welcome!

I really look forward to planning one of those cross-country college tour trips...

FINALLY I have a Chase card that gets a Best Buy offer - 10% back, $30 max back is on my United Quest card. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the details on these Best Buy offers in the past - am I ok just buying a $300 gift card?

So I’ve gotten pretty good at collecting miles and points, but I’m not very savvy at using them yet.

Our family of 4 is flying from Raleigh, NC to Zurich (June 24) and then from Munich back to Raleigh (July 5) in 2022. The dates and cities are locked in because they are based on a Tauck tour we are doing there.

The other thing that’s locked in is that I’ll be using United miles. We had booked this same trip in 2020, and I transferred URs to United and was able to book 3 of the 4 of us in economy for 60k each round trip (to Switzerland on Swiss Air and home on Lufthansa). Since that trip got cancelled, I’ve got those 180k United miles, plus I recently got the United Quest card, so I should have another 100k miles coming by the time I book. I’ve also got more URs if I need to top off my United miles.

With all that - what’s my best strategy for booking? We’d LOVE to fly first/business class, of course, or even premium economy would be great, but we will survive in economy (“free” flights are always tolerable!). We never fly United so I’m happy to blow every single mile I have on this trip to get the best experience.

Last thing I’ll mention - since it’s our family of 4 traveling (and because I’m super Type A), I’m not comfortable leaving a lot to chance or waiting to book at the last minute, hoping for a better deal. I would just as soon go ahead and book the best deal available when award seats open up.

THANKS in advance for any suggestions!

Congrats! Which Tauck are you doing?

I'm pretty familiar with stalking flights since DD exchanged WDW for Europe at the age of 13 and hasn't looked back, lol.

United releases their award flights "about" 331-335 days out (depending on partner v. United flights and other random things). If you have a few minutes, I'd go and look at the flights you want as far out as you can...right now it's late Mar/early Apr to get a feel for the flight times, etc. Then I'd check back about every month or so-just to get an idea of the flights during the season you're flying --often they'll add more during high travel like summer/holidays. This will give you an idea of the number of miles you'll need and how much taxes will be (those vary by carriers and location).

Then, as the flights you actually want approach, I'd put it in the calendar with an alarm and start looking, very specifically, for the exact dates/flights you want, ensuring you have the number of miles you'll need for premium economy and/or business saver flights. If you're wanting to fly in late June then that means late July, you start looking-early August for the July 5th flight. Personally, I'd consider whether round trip makes more sense than 2 one- way flights--sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes not (now would be the time to play around with that! 😀 ). If you're doing "round trip" then another drawback is having to wait until the second date and you could lose your desired seats on the outbound trip so that is a consideration. I'd guess that 4 seats in the summer would be competitive so keep that in mind.

TL;DR-start stalking the website sooner than later to get an idea of when flights are released, which flights you want, and how many United miles you'll need in an ideal situation. United flights are often released or a different day than partner flights and economy flights are released usually a day or two before premium economy/business so you can get a "feel" for when the exactly flights and seat type are released by watching the patterns. Then definitely be ready-even if it's a day or two before you think it's time, to watch so you can see how/what they're releasing. I'm in the middle of this for our late April flights from Athens back to the US so I'm there almost daily, lol.

Also-remember that getting through customs and immigration and pulling your bags and rechecking them can take a while so definitely leave enough time for that on your flight home. Please pm me if you have any other questions.

Off topic, but all your talk about college tours got me thinking. Any suggestions for how to find colleges/universities that might be a good fit for a particular kid. DD is a sophomore, good student but anxious when under too much pressure. I want to send her out of TX, preferably a smaller school (maybe 10k kids max) with moderate level academics. She's interested in being a teacher or psychologist, likely work with special ed kids, so prestige is not a factor. $$ is a consideration but private is doable as long as it's LGBTQ friendly. I'm basically searching the internet blindly and her hs counselor is no help at all. Any websites, online forums, or regional university suggestions welcome!

I really look forward to planning one of those cross-country college tour trips...

My DD gets super anxious in large groups/under pressure as well. We used a private college counsellor/coach who helped her focus on what was important and narrowed down her options. She met face to face but I'm pretty sure there are online options as well. It did cost $$ to hire her but she was worth her weight in gold and although DD has had a couple of stressful semesters d/t the pandemic, I truly feel she's in the correct place for her. That said, I'm sure college confidential or some other forum could help you narrow down LGBTQ friendly small-medium institutions. Good luck-it's so so hard to narrow things down when there are so many choices!

ps-LOL on out of TX-my DD offered to apply to my alma mater-A&M but despite their offering her scholarships, I knew it would be a terrible fit so we didn't bother-I completely get it

Congrats! Which Tauck are you doing?

I'm pretty familiar with stalking flights since DD exchanged WDW for Europe at the age of 13 and hasn't looked back, lol.

United releases their award flights "about" 331-335 days out (depending on partner v. United flights and other random things). If you have a few minutes, I'd go and look at the flights you want as far out as you can...right now it's late Mar/early Apr to get a feel for the flight times, etc. Then I'd check back about every month or so-just to get an idea of the flights during the season you're flying --often they'll add more during high travel like summer/holidays. This will give you an idea of the number of miles you'll need and how much taxes will be (those vary by carriers and location).

Then, as the flights you actually want approach, I'd put it in the calendar with an alarm and start looking, very specifically, for the exact dates/flights you want, ensuring you have the number of miles you'll need for premium economy and/or business saver flights. If you're wanting to fly in late June then that means late July, you start looking-early August for the July 5th flight. Personally, I'd consider whether round trip makes more sense than 2 one- way flights--sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes not (now would be the time to play around with that! 😀 ). If you're doing "round trip" then another drawback is having to wait until the second date and you could lose your desired seats on the outbound trip so that is a consideration. I'd guess that 4 seats in the summer would be competitive so keep that in mind.

TL;DR-start stalking the website sooner than later to get an idea of when flights are released, which flights you want, and how many United miles you'll need in an ideal situation. United flights are often released or a different day than partner flights and economy flights are released usually a day or two before premium economy/business so you can get a "feel" for when the exactly flights and seat type are released by watching the patterns. Then definitely be ready-even if it's a day or two before you think it's time, to watch so you can see how/what they're releasing. I'm in the middle of this for our late April flights from Athens back to the US so I'm there almost daily, lol.

Also-remember that getting through customs and immigration and pulling your bags and rechecking them can take a while so definitely leave enough time for that on your flight home. Please pm me if you have any other questions.
This is super helpful! We are doing the Tauck Bridges Alpine Adventure. It’s our last hurrah before our older DS goes off to college, so it’s bittersweet for sure.
So dumb question but is the United website the only place I’ll look to book flights? Like I mentioned, when I did this two years ago we were on Swiss Air and Lufthansa, but I can’t remember if I booked it all directly through the United website. I do remember having to do **something** on the SwissAir and Lufthansa websites - maybe that was just seat selection? My memory is the worst!

FINALLY I have a Chase card that gets a Best Buy offer - 10% back, $30 max back is on my United Quest card. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the details on these Best Buy offers in the past - am I ok just buying a $300 gift card?

Yes! That's mostly what I do with Chase offers.

This is super helpful! We are doing the Tauck Bridges Alpine Adventure. It’s our last hurrah before our older DS goes off to college, so it’s bittersweet for sure.
So dumb question but is the United website the only place I’ll look to book flights? Like I mentioned, when I did this two years ago we were on Swiss Air and Lufthansa, but I can’t remember if I booked it all directly through the United website. I do remember having to do **something** on the SwissAir and Lufthansa websites - maybe that was just seat selection? My memory is the worst!

Oh that one looks like so much fun! I really have enjoyed our Tauck trips (all 2 of them lol).

I'm guessing since you used United miles you booked on United and then went to Swiss/Lufthansa to make seat reservations (that's what I've done anyway). Especially since you're using United miles you'll have to book on their website. Lufthansa's Life Miles site might allow you to see flights earlier but unless you're using their miles it won't help with booking. (Side note-that's why I keep a stash of Flying Blue miles--KLM/AirFrance books out at 363 or 364 days so if I really want a flight on them I just use their program).

I hope this helps-I'm so excited for y'all! I totally understand about the bittersweet graduation trip-DM, DD and I did an ABD river cruise after she graduated and it was memorable for all the right reasons but so hard to believe it's been 2 years. :sad1: You're much nicer than I am, though-I flew home United biz and put them on Delta Comfort+, lol. I figure she who makes the reservations gets the lie flat seats :rotfl:

I can't seem to transfer to hotel programs,like say Bonvoy or anything..... can I?

What Blue card is it that you have? If it's this one - Blue from American Express - I don't see MR points transfers in the T&C.

I honestly didn't know a MR card existed that didn't allow it but if that's your card and you don't see a Transfer Points option in the Rewards section, then I guess I've learned something new.

The Everyday card is a no AF card that earns MR points and has all the same redemption options as the AF cards, including transferring points. If you never had that card before you'd want to consider opening it for the bonus versus attempting to PC due to the AmEx lifetime language. If you have had it before then it can't hurt to ask to PC. The Everyday card has a better earn rate with 2x the MR at grocery stores and a 20% bonus each month if you make 20 transactions.

You're the first! Is it easier than using DVC to check availability, or better for those who aren't members to see what's available?

Including @iujen94

There was a guy that developed a DVC availability tool sometime back and we all were using it, plus it would email you when something you wanted popped up. It worked too well for a while.

Then it got shut down by Disney if I remember correctly. Not sure how long this one has been 'out there.' Obviously you can't book from it, but it will certainly give a general idea. It's a lot simpler then the one I spoke of.

In some time frames and with some resorts, things change fast. But, if I couldn't get on the DVC website, my first go to would be to call or chat with Member Services.

This statement is rather silly. Obviously no one can book from the site. And, being DVC, it wouldn't be my first go to. I might see something I want that's already gone, since they don't do a continuous update. And may have missed it by looking here first.
We update the availability twice daily but we recommend confirming reservations with your DVC Member account.

The company is looking for customers and that's not a bad thing. If you look for what you want, call them and it's gone, they'll probably do what they can to make a sale at another resort.

Edit: Yikes! This company has 43 supposedly confirmed reservations for Grand Californian all the way through next year. That's a lot for that resort for a reseller.
I guess it could be out of state people who can't go to DL right now.

Edit 2:

This is an extension of our newer board sponsor. Looks like they are all Disney people. Checking out the team on the Resale market side, I found my original guide, Karen Guyder!

Last edited:
Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Marco Island? I can’t decide what to do for the July 4th week. It’s either Isle of Palms, Wild Dunes Resort driving, Hilton Marco Island and Hyatt Centric Key West, fly into Ft. Myers and out of Miami, Hyatt Regency Aruba.

@calypso727 did a write up on page 12 of the Dischurners hotel review thread on this budget board about 2-3 weeks ago.

I just bought one with this offer a couple of weeks ago and got the $30 back with no problem.

Oh that one looks like so much fun! I really have enjoyed our Tauck trips (all 2 of them lol).

I'm guessing since you used United miles you booked on United and then went to Swiss/Lufthansa to make seat reservations (that's what I've done anyway). Especially since you're using United miles you'll have to book on their website. Lufthansa's Life Miles site might allow you to see flights earlier but unless you're using their miles it won't help with booking. (Side note-that's why I keep a stash of Flying Blue miles--KLM/AirFrance books out at 363 or 364 days so if I really want a flight on them I just use their program).

I hope this helps-I'm so excited for y'all! I totally understand about the bittersweet graduation trip-DM, DD and I did an ABD river cruise after she graduated and it was memorable for all the right reasons but so hard to believe it's been 2 years. :sad1: You're much nicer than I am, though-I flew home United biz and put them on Delta Comfort+, lol. I figure she who makes the reservations gets the lie flat seats :rotfl:
I haven’t ruled out DH and I flying first class, and putting the boys in coach!

(Unrelated - we did that when we flew to Vancouver a couple of years ago. I got upgraded on American, but only for me and one other person. We got ice cream sundaes for dessert - I’m not a huge fan so I mentioned that I’d give it to my kids in coach, and that said that wasn’t allowed! So now I know - if that happens again- keep my mouth shut and smuggle some goodies back to them!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter