I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to ask on this board as I seem to get the most answers here. Posted on Cruise Critic but nothing yet.

Going on Med Cruise in May. First time to Europe. Group consists of Me, DH, DS 24, DD 21, DS's Girlfriend 22 and My Brother and SIL. My son is paying for his and his girlfriends cruise -but we are paying for all the tours/transportation for the 5 of us. So, is getting a bit $$$.

We have some tours set up but don't really want to do a tour at every stop. Can anyone tell me if there are some stops that are better for wandering around on our own or any suggestion at these stops. I

We Fly into Rome a few days early. We have transportation, hotel and tours already set up for Rome.

Cruise Stops:
Amalfi Coast - Nothing yet
Sicily - Nothing yet
Santorini - Have Tour set up plus a photo session. Son is going to propose to girlfriend here.
Ephesus - Nothing yet
Mykonos - Nothing yet

The Cruise ends in Athens. We are here for a few days after the cruise. We have transportation, hotel and tours set up already for Athens.

Also, I am assuming we tip any tour guides/drivers. How much? 20% like in the US. How about for transportation from Airport to Hotel and such - do we tip those also?

Thanks for any suggestions/info !! Lynn

We did a cruise in Oct and I can highly recommend EphesusPortTours for seeing the sights there. We had a brand new Mercedes mini bus that could seat 8, a driver and a personal guide who was so knowledgable he really enhanced the experience. It costs us $150 for the two of us and we tipped generously because they were so good. We bought the highlights of Ephesus tour, but they allow you to customize it to ensure you see everything you want. I found thenm easy to deal with and very responsive to emails.

In Rome, we used sharedshuttle for airport/hotel/cruise transfers. We thought they were great, but with a party your size you should be able to get private transfers without the need to share.

In terms of general tipping, it is often not expected in Europe, but when I do I use 10% as the benchmark for good service and only going above that if service was exceptional. You know, the way it used to be in the US.

We did a cruise in Oct and I can highly recommend EphesusPortTours for seeing the sights there. We had a brand new Mercedes mini bus that could seat 8, a driver and a personal guide who was so knowledgable he really enhanced the experience. It costs us $150 for the two of us and we tipped generously because they were so good. We bought the highlights of Ephesus tour, but they allow you to customize it to ensure you see everything you want. I found thenm easy to deal with and very responsive to emails.

In Rome, we used sharedshuttle for airport/hotel/cruise transfers. We thought they were great, but with a party your size you should be able to get private transfers without the need to share.

In terms of general tipping, it is often not expected in Europe, but when I do I use 10% as the benchmark for good service and only going above that if service was exceptional. You know, the way it used to be in the US.
I will look into them. All of the tours we have booked so far are private tours with just the 7 of us. So, I do like finding companies that will customize the tours to what we want and also leave time to explore on our own.

Edit - I just looked at their website. This looks like a good option and prices are very reasonable. Thank You!!

Last edited:
So maybe this stop we should do some sort of tour.

So, some of our tours in Rome/Athens are between 400 and 650 euros (for 7 of us). So, 20% would be way too much in Tips? Or is that about right?
Yes, I would definitely recommend a tour. And I think that's a little high. People were definitely doing 5 to 10 euros per person on Disney. European tipping is so weird (I'm sure they think our tipping is ridiculous). And on cabs I'd usually give a few euros, but from what I could tell in Barcelona it was nice but not really expected.

Yes, I would definitely recommend a tour. And I think that's a little high. People were definitely doing 5 to 10 euros per person on Disney. European tipping is so weird (I'm sure they think our tipping is ridiculous). And on cabs I'd usually give a few euros, but from what I could tell in Barcelona it was nice but not really expected.
Did you do a ship excursion or book your own?

Does anyone know:

With the CSP - if a room is booked partially with URs and the rest with the CSP (over $50) - will this trigger the $50 credit for hotel stays book through the portal and paid for with the CSP?

ETA: I just did some research. Looks like the travel credit will trigger as long as I put over $50 on the CSP and book through the portal. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/travel/annual-ultimate-rewards-hotel-credit

Last edited:
Does anyone know:

With the CSP - if a room is booked partially with URs and the rest with the CSP (over $50) - will this trigger the $50 credit for hotel stays book through the portal and paid for with the CSP?

ETA: I just did some research. Looks like the travel credit will trigger as long as I put over $50 on the CSP and book through the portal. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/travel/annual-ultimate-rewards-hotel-credit
Yes, can confirm. I booked hotel and paid $51 with CSP and rest in URs.

I think I know the answer, but hoping y'all can confirm for me - I got a personal AMEX Plat on 1/12/22. SUB posted 2/9/22. I took advantage of a 20k add-an-AU bonus to get my P2 the free AMEX Gold card as an AU on my Plat. That bonus posted 5/29/22. When my Plat AF hits in January 2023, I'm guessing I can't cancel, or I risk clawback of the AU bonus, correct? Is there any harm in still asking for a retention offer on my Plat card?

I just refreshed the reddit links for 2023. by starting new ones, new links will go up so we will know the links are good. So please repost your links.
if there are any reasons you need your old links, feel free to reach out and/or if enough ppl need the old thread back, i will post it back.
If you have any feedback/suggestions, reach out to me here or via PM.
Thanks so much for doing this

@LynnTH one thing I did like about booking through the cruise line was being able to do adult only excursions. If you are doing private it won’t matter. I just didn’t want to tour the Vatican with 5 year olds!

I have Southwest booked for tomorrow to get to a cruise in FLL. Every day this week that particular flight has been cancelled. I wake up this morning to see that every single flight to FLL from my airport on Southwest tomorrow is still ON. I can’t rebook on another airline and it’s a 17 hour drive. I WILL make my cruise. Flight arrives evening before cruise boarding. Question is: at this point do I trust Southwest to get me there or start driving after work tonight? Just asking for what you would do, but I think I’m leaning toward driving anyway. Got everything packed.

I wouldn't chance it. With the drive being 17 hours, I'd look for an alternative flight.

Did you do a ship excursion or book your own?

We did mostly private, a few DCL group on our last DCL cruise in N. Europe. I have booked all private for the Med in 2023. We just move much quicker and see so much more when we aren't waiting for an extra 40 people to get on the bus. The only overlap I saw is Naples (I booked with Rome in Limo for Pompeii with a private guide and then on to Positano/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast - we can choose which we want and how long to stay at each place closer to our date. I also hired PK Tours in Athens to pick us up and show us around. Hope you have a great trip!

I think I know the answer, but hoping y'all can confirm for me - I got a personal AMEX Plat on 1/12/22. SUB posted 2/9/22. I took advantage of a 20k add-an-AU bonus to get my P2 the free AMEX Gold card as an AU on my Plat. That bonus posted 5/29/22. When my Plat AF hits in January 2023, I'm guessing I can't cancel, or I risk clawback of the AU bonus, correct? Is there any harm in still asking for a retention offer on my Plat card?
Amex won’t clawback your AU bonus if you decide to cancel. Since you’re pretty close to your 1yr mark I would reach out via chat and tell them you’re considering canceling and would like to know if there any offers associated with your account. You can word it however you like. After multiple chats with Amex for retention I just cut to the chase, and tell them I’m thinking about canceling and are there any offers on my account. Since you’re still ahead of your 1yr mark you can reach out multiple times if they give you a bad offer at first. I’ve contacted them multiple times, about the same card and have gotten different offers. Good luck, hopefully they’ll offer something worth while.

So I'm 12 pages behind, but I'm sure I can catch up tonight, LOL. I offered a trip to Disney to my 17yo and 13yo if they could get their work caught up. I had Bonnet Creek booked for $60/nt using my Hilton discount. But my kids are @^$@*#%& and refuse to do their missing work. UGH! I mean if I can't bribe them w/ a trip to Disney, I really don't know what to do! Doesn't help their dad doesn't help enforce things. It's his week and I'm trying to get them to do their missing work w/ little luck.

So I think I might just be going somewhere solo next week to enjoy the sun. We'll see.

As for instacart, I discovered using it at Total Wine there is no "delivery charge" but the bottles of wine I was looking at are $10 more. So there goes any credit I get from Chase. Nothing near me has a pick up that's worth using the credits either. So I guess the instacart credits are useless :(

Alrighty, back to page 636, LOL.

Caught up. My head is spinning though from reading everything. Sorry for all the people caught up in the SW nightmare. BF was on a trip and Spirit cancelled HIS flight and didn't bother to call him! He actually had to call them. They told him they booked him on a delta flight home. He got to the airport and they didn't. Luckily he was still able to get on the flight and get home. But I noticed ALL the SW flights where he was (MCI) were all cancelled.

@wanderlust7
Just wanted to let you know DH just got the same upgrade offer on his Biz Gold 140k/10k to Biz Plat. I’ve been checking daily hoping he’d get it. He’s had the Biz Gold for 6 months. Have you seen it on your account yet?
It looks like I might have this offer on my card. I just got the biz in Oct. I'm currently rapping up the MDD. I have $200 left on the CSR, and $1.6k on the CSP. I have $1600 in taxes and $1300 in insurance to pay coming up. And I'm sure I could pay my mom's property taxes if needed. But I think $10k is more than I need to try going for right now.

They had two operational meltdowns in ‘21- June and Oct. This makes 3 operational meltdowns in 18 months. That’s not normal. In fact it’s probably a record of some sort.
I'm grateful SW and the weather had every airline looking bad. Spirit had 20% cancellations on 12/25 or 26, I don't remember. But SW had 70% so they obviously took the lead on any news, LOL. My BF isn't excited for his trips starting tomorrow. He's hoping it's better than his Christmas trips. He had delays because the temps were so cold they couldn't operate the jetbridge in ATL.

Amex won’t clawback your AU bonus if you decide to cancel. Since you’re pretty close to your 1yr mark I would reach out via chat and tell them you’re considering canceling and would like to know if there any offers associated with your account. You can word it however you like. After multiple chats with Amex for retention I just cut to the chase, and tell them I’m thinking about canceling and are there any offers on my account. Since you’re still ahead of your 1yr mark you can reach out multiple times if they give you a bad offer at first. I’ve contacted them multiple times, about the same card and have gotten different offers. Good luck, hopefully they’ll offer something worth while.
Oh interesting - I assumed I needed to wait for my AF to post to ask for a retention offer. It would be nice to get an offer before then, to start the clock ticking (is it right that you need to keep a card 13 months after a retention bonus posts? Or is it just 12 months?)

So I'm 12 pages behind, but I'm sure I can catch up tonight, LOL. I offered a trip to Disney to my 17yo and 13yo if they could get their work caught up. I had Bonnet Creek booked for $60/nt using my Hilton discount. But my kids are @^$@*#%& and refuse to do their missing work. UGH! I mean if I can't bribe them w/ a trip to Disney, I really don't know what to do! Doesn't help their dad doesn't help enforce things. It's his week and I'm trying to get them to do their missing work w/ little luck.

So I think I might just be going somewhere solo next week to enjoy the sun. We'll see.

As for instacart, I discovered using it at Total Wine there is no "delivery charge" but the bottles of wine I was looking at are $10 more. So there goes any credit I get from Chase. Nothing near me has a pick up that's worth using the credits either. So I guess the instacart credits are useless :(

Alrighty, back to page 636, LOL.
Btdt with not turning stuff in and getting no support from the ex. I’m sorry!

Oh interesting - I assumed I needed to wait for my AF to post to ask for a retention offer. It would be nice to get an offer before then, to start the clock ticking (is it right that you need to keep a card 13 months after a retention bonus posts? Or is it just 12 months?)
Yes, 13 months from retention offer. So if you take an offer now it starts the clock sooner.

Been looking at all the Instacart discussion with interest (I have never used it)... and the one place I checked for (Total Wine) was $2 more per bottle of the three items I wanted. I really really don't want to go down there because I hate the location (in a busy mall area with terrible parking) so maybe I'll look more into the Instacart credit (I have a CSP... should it be there?) and see if it offsets the increased price over "in store."

Does instacart charge an additional fee on top of the increased prices?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter