I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone is flying SW in the next couple of weeks, the free change window is open. It looks like you can purchase a ticket up to 1/7/23 and change it. A 1/7/23 booking can be moved to 2/6/22. We had flights for MIA that I was able to repurchase and move to 1/16 and get the better flight times that I wanted and save some $s. Of course, DH’s 2/9/23 flight couldn’t be moved but I’ll take what I can get.

Is this similar to Spencer Howard and Straight to the Point?
Not familiar with those.
Thanks so much for the info! Yes all of my travels have been to Germany Houston to Frankfurt to visit my daughter who is stationed there and our grandson and SIL. I’ve managed to get 17 one way flights across the pond for myself and other family members since accumulating points with Chase starting in 2019 and transferring to United. I was able to gift 3 one way tickets back to Germany after my daughter’s leave ended on December 27 this year. I prefer nonstops and live near Houston so at the moment United is what works best for me. I’m going to Germany again in early April for the birth of our second grandson and will stay for at least 1 month, maybe longer. I can usually find last minute tickets to Frankfurt for 30,000 points one way in economy and occasionally 60,000 points for lie flat seats in biz.
I think you're doing great with United, especially since you value the flexibility. A lot of other programs have penalties or fees for cancellation. I do like point.me if you have a specific destination or dates in mind and want to do searching on your own.

I can't remember when you were going, I thought maybe over spring break? Numerous staff people mentioned that it gets super hot in March and April, like 100 degrees, and that it is during their dry season so the leaves are brown or have already fallen onto the ground.
Yes, end of March. I know it will be hot, but I thought like 85-90 (per website info) 🥵. I appreciate the info. We are only 3 days at Andaz so hopefully the walking won't kill me although I suspect Los Altos is similar (as are many of the places I've been in CR). I'm hoping to do a day trip to Palo Verde, Rincon de la Vieja or both. We have been on the 'river safari' in Palo Verde before but DS doesn't recall any of it.
How was the food at Andaz? Did you eat mostly at the resort or elsewhere?

Numerous staff people mentioned that it gets super hot in March and April, like 100 degrees, and that it is during their dry season so the leaves are brown or have already fallen onto the ground. Also, the property is not good for anyone with mobility issues. Each time we went from the beach to our room, it was like climbing 18 stories, no joke.
Re: Costa Rica in March
Thank you, as well, for this info. I have not been able to get into the mood for this trip, likely because I haven't done the detailed planning, like excursions, etc. Plus, it's just been much more expensive points wise for the flights than expected, with not great flight times. I'm really not digging 100 degrees plus brown.

I might pivot if something more appealing comes up.

Is the SW companion pass 1 month extension actually showing up in your RR account for anyone? We fly home 1/1. DH’s pass is supposed to expire tomorrow so we bought DS’s ticket home. If the CP is extended we can switch that ticket and get a flight credit.

The extension isn’t showing up on DH’s account.

Eeeked in a last minute staycation at the Kimpton nearest us, so Milwaukee. Needed to use up an IHG Ambassador Weekend Certificate before the EOY while it was still good at Kimptons, where you get two nights for the price of the first night. Plus I got 20k points for the stay and had a $75 off $300 offer from Amex. So with Diamond status and using their social password, I received:
- 4 free drinks $60 value
- 4 breakfast/brunches $80 value
- wine/social hour $20 value
- AM coffee bar and evening cocoa bar $25 value
- Free night $340
- Dinner for four $75 value with Amex offer
- 20k point promotion $100 value

BUT................... it didn't go as planned. It was our pandemic pup's (a Frenchton, just under two now) first hotel stay. She has some anxiety, given she's virtually never been alone. She was so hyped up upon arriving, she peed on the bed, within minutes. By the first evening, DH had a 101 fever. I ended up entertaining the kids and walking the dogs solo. That dog would not pee outside, whatsoever. I must have walked those dogs 8-12 times and she refused to go outside once. She screeches and cries when she sees another dog- it's so embarassing. When we got back in the room, I had to wipe each dog down because it was so warm outside it was melting all the dirty snow. All night long, the dogs sprung off me every 30 minutes, to protect us from whatever hallway noise they heard. Sigh. By 7 am, after one last unproductive walk, I was fried. I pulled the plug, packed everyone up and we went home.

But, we had a great time with outdoor ice skating, drinking hot cocoa, enjoying cocktails and wood fired pizza, in between all the puppy stress. So, so, so happy to be home where I run medicine, drinks and food on a tray to DH, but where the dog can go out her doggie door at her leisure.

IMG-4507.jpgIMG-0022.jpeg

Is the SW companion pass 1 month extension actually showing up in your RR account for anyone? We fly home 1/1. DH’s pass is supposed to expire tomorrow so we bought DS’s ticket home. If the CP is extended we can switch that ticket and get a flight credit.

Mine due to expire tomorrow still shows 12/31 as the expiration. When you go to My Account and find that trip, are you able to "Add companion?"

So DH's Amex Platinum fee posted. Due January 5th. I will have time to use the saks, airline and hotel credits. He got a retention offer last year, so we are not at 13 months before January 5th. Assuming he calls and does not get an offer, what should we do? With an offer, we would probably keep the card, but without, it is just barely worth the AF to use, and we really have to stretch sometimes to use all the credits. Come February, I won't be able to be a guest at the Centurion Lounges, so that's not a huge benefit anymore. The real issue is the fact that we can't churn it. As far as I can tell, once he cancels it, that's it for at least 7 years even if we want to get one again. I'm leaning towards canceling. Any opinions?

Maybe try Twitter to see if they can add if you aren’t having luck.

Re: Costa Rica in March
Thank you, as well, for this info. I have not been able to get into the mood for this trip, likely because I haven't done the detailed planning, like excursions, etc. Plus, it's just been much more expensive points wise for the flights than expected, with not great flight times. I'm really not digging 100 degrees plus brown.

I might pivot if something more appealing comes up.
There are 2 seasons CR, rainy and dry. Andaz will def be hotter/drier than LosAltos in March. I'm not sure 'brown' in CR is the same as Chicago though. Lol.

Nope, doesn’t show up!
Well, I know in years past when they offered promotional companion pass (obviously different than the situation they are in now), sometimes it would kick in January 1 or January 3. So I would stick with your current reservation and see if that happens and/or if an agent at the airport can do anything. If not, I would think you could submit for reimbursement.

Also, I haven't seen anything official on this, so we are really relying on what one rep told VFTW. Others are reporting that VFTW is reporting that, so now it's sort of widely reported, but just with the one source. It does make sense that Southwest should do it, and I think it's likely they will, but who knows when they will update their systems.

So DH's Amex Platinum fee posted. Due January 5th. I will have time to use the saks, airline and hotel credits. He got a retention offer last year, so we are not at 13 months before January 5th. Assuming he calls and does not get an offer, what should we do? With an offer, we would probably keep the card, but without, it is just barely worth the AF to use, and we really have to stretch sometimes to use all the credits. Come February, I won't be able to be a guest at the Centurion Lounges, so that's not a huge benefit anymore. The real issue is the fact that we can't churn it. As far as I can tell, once he cancels it, that's it for at least 7 years even if we want to get one again. I'm leaning towards canceling. Any opinions?
For me without a retention offer the Platinum is worthless. The credits are just ok. Meaning I’ll use them in order to redeem the AF cost. I had mine since 2019, and received 2 nice retention offers in that time. This year I finally cancelled. It’s just not worth it for me anymore. Too many other cards with lower AF and better earning rates.

For me without a retention offer the Platinum is worthless. The credits are just ok. Meaning I’ll use them in order to redeem the AF cost. I had mine since 2019, and received 2 nice retention offers in that time. This year I finally cancelled. It’s just not worth it for me anymore. Too many other cards with lower AF and better earning rates.
Thank you. I'm leaning towards this as well. I think we just break even with the credits, but that doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

Thank you. I'm leaning towards this as well. I think we just break even with the credits, but that doesn't seem to be worth it to me.
I'm actually chatting with Amex about the same card. My payment isn't due until 1/23 so I have time to use the Saks, Audible, and airline credit before downgrading. I don't think I'll cancel in case I ever want to hold the personal plat again I can upgrade it. I'm hoping for a nice retention offer.

Mine is showing the extension to 1/31/23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter