I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Not many others on here with a Marcus online savings account, I think. I pulled a bunch of money out of it back in October to take advantage of the Ally 1% bonus, just moved some of that to Chase for their savings bonus. Today I got an offer from Marcus for $100 bonus if I move $10,000 into my Marcus account for 3 months. They had the same offer last year also.

Thanks to all who gave great suggestions and advice for business class air tix. I was able to book what I needed and am looking forward to our trip this September!

Now that that is over with…. I need to get back to accumulating points and miles for future travel! What are the best options for business air redemption? No particular country in mind atm, but probably looking to do South America or Europe.

I have CSP, citi costco visa, and Delta amex atm. DH has an Alaska visa. No applications in the past 2 years for either of us. Any recommendations to maximize incentives with minimal/no AF?

Thanks!
I open new cards when the SUB far outweighs the AF or when I know I can recoup the annual fee, which is far more lucrative for me than trying to stick to No AF cards. So my response will be fairly limited!

If you have any type of small business, like selling items on Facebook, you qualify for business credit cards. Chase Ink business cards have a great SUB right now, for 90k points, with a $6k spend in 3 months. This is an elevated offer and won't be around forever.

Amex Plat retention DP:
11 mos after opening, took 60k retention offer for $4k/3mos on 11/2/2021, renewal at $550
Following year, 14 mos after initial retention, accepted 30k/$3k/3 mos

I tried twice and got the same retention offer- accepted it the second time. I've heard it's hit or miss to get retention two years in a row. Also, with the airline credits, saks and FHR credits, I was going to be knocking out $1k of that spend anyway. Aside from the credit spends and AF, very little spend on this card past original MSR.

Is there a southwest companion pass special going on? I almost had a heart attack. I am waiting on my Biz statement to close and post my RRs which will give me CP but I got an email that DH earned the CP. I was afraid I put the wrong RR account and my points went to his account. I’m flying with my daughter and granddaughter in March so him getting CP doesn’t help me. Nope, he earned 40k RRs from supporting my apps and 9k anniversary points which somehow got him the CP through the end of this year. Not really sure why.

also a DP, the support points were really late. I gave up on them as my apps were in Oct and Dec. and he closed his card in early Jan after his anniversary points posted. Really surprised to see points on a closed card. Surprised but happy.

Amex Plat retention DP:
11 mos after opening, took 60k retention offer for $4k/3mos on 11/2/2021, renewal at $550
Following year, 14 mos after initial retention, accepted 30k/$3k/3 mos

I tried twice and got the same retention offer- accepted it the second time. I've heard it's hit or miss to get retention two years in a row. Also, with the airline credits, saks and FHR credits, I was going to be knocking out $1k of that spend anyway. Aside from the credit spends and AF, very little spend on this card past original MSR.
How do you go about asking for a retention offer? Do you just go to the chat and ask what they have available? Should you be more subtle or say you want to cancel?

How do you go about asking for a retention offer? Do you just go to the chat and ask what they have available? Should you be more subtle or say you want to cancel?

I'm evaluating my card and would like to know if I have any retention offers. I understand the benefits of the card and just want to know if I have an offer.

Maybe don't use them both at the start of chat but the 2nd generally gets me past them going through all the card offers.

People have had cards cancelled when doing it that way even when they didn't confirm they wanted it cancelled so I just straight up ask.

I typically do it through chat and will say something like I'm considering closing the card because of the high annual fee. Are there any incentives to keep the card open?

Usually they'll ask why I got the card and what has changed, or am I aware of X benefits. I'm typically brief, but do try to give real feedback. And then I ask again, are there any incentives/offers to keep the card open?

The last chat was maybe 3 mins, which was fast, and well worth my time.

Anyone tried using their credit card travel insurance, specifically the Chase sapphire?With todays travel atmosphere it’s nice to have it included in the card but I always wonder how easy they are to use. 😅
We used it when we had a flight delay that resulted in us having to spend the night in Atlanta unexpectedly. Chase did reimburse us for the hotel, Uber ride, and very late dinner that night. I don't recall that it was too hard to use, needed to submit receipts plus maybe something from Delta about the issue.

We used it when we had a flight delay that resulted in us having to spend the night in Atlanta unexpectedly. Chase did reimburse us for the hotel, Uber ride, and very late dinner that night. I don't recall that it was too hard to use, needed to submit receipts plus maybe something from Delta about the issue.
That’s awesome, thanks for the feedback!

I open new cards when the SUB far outweighs the AF or when I know I can recoup the annual fee, which is far more lucrative for me than trying to stick to No AF cards. So my response will be fairly limited!

If you have any type of small business, like selling items on Facebook, you qualify for business credit cards. Chase Ink business cards have a great SUB right now, for 90k points, with a $6k spend in 3 months. This is an elevated offer and won't be around forever.
Actually, this is exactly the kind of information I’m looking for, thanks!

It’s been a few years since I dabbled in the points/cc game so I am rusty. Appreciate the example and info!

Anyone tried using their credit card travel insurance, specifically the Chase sapphire?With todays travel atmosphere it’s nice to have it included in the card but I always wonder how easy they are to use. 😅
We used it when we got a flat tire driving back from Disney the day the parks shutdown in a car we had rented.

Luckily this small shop was open and put a new tire on it.

I was reimbursed for the tire in about a day after submitting the receipt.

Needless to say that was our last time driving to Disney lol

I have some interesting United info to report. In Dec, I booked EWR-BOS-LHR biz tix for 60K each. For that price, I didn’t mind the layover. Over the weekend, I received an email from United saying they had made changes to my flight schedule and I was allowed a one time free change. The change was just cutting our 2 hour layover down by 37 minutes, so I figured it was no big deal and I would just keep it. Then it occurred to me that maybe this one time change was like SW and I could parlay it into ANY flight. So I called today and asked about switching to a EWR-LHR direct flight and asked if there would be a price difference. She had to check with her supervisor but they did allow me to change it to a nonstop! Those seats are 145.8K each today. Woo hoo! I was shocked when she said yes.

The only one of those honors classes I'd stand a chance in is geography. If the had honors reading, id ace that lol
Yeah I'm a pretty avid reader. DS reads for school but not much for pleasure. In middle school they divide the English Language arts into reading and writing and he does better in reading though he doesn't like it. In HS though, reading and writing are all under "English" though my understanding is they must read 1 book over the summer before freshman year, then 6 additional novels are covered throughout the year.

Trying to figure out how to take advantage of the $900 Chase Checking/Savings offer. Neither DH or I can change our direct deposit for our jobs, (it’s such a pain in the BUTT!!), so I’m not sure how to fulfill that requirement. Any creative ways that are known out there?

Last edited:
Thought this DoC comment re: the $900 Chase bank bonus was worth sharing:

Wise Dom

Tying up $15,000 for 1 quarter to earn $900 is a guaranteed 6% return (900/15000 = 0.06) in 1 quarter, an effective rate of return of 24% (0.06 * 4) annually. I’m not aware of anything else that comes anywhere close to beating a guaranteed effective 24% APR. The S&P 500 averages 12% nominal yearly returns over long periods of time – this offer is DOUBLING the return while taking the risk that you might lose some of your principal in a given 90 day stretch from “high” to “none”.
If you can’t afford to park $15,000 for a quarter, of course it makes sense to look for other deals with vastly lower rates of return, but more flexibility. But if you can afford to, there’s not really any better place to keep $15,000 for 90 days right now.
That’s not even mentioning that the way Chase have it set up, you have 30 days from when you open the account to deposit the $15,000, but the 90 day countdown for how long you have to keep the funds in the account also starts from when you open the account, NOT from when you deposit the funds. So really, you could wait until the last day of the first 30 days to deposit the $15,000, and only need to tie up the $15,000 for the remaining 60 days to earn the $900, which ups the effective APR to 36%.
So this was already an unbeatable deal (24% APR, FDIC-guaranteed) without gaming the system, but it becomes a truly legendary deal (36% APR, FDIC-guaranteed) once that’s factored in. This will be remembered for years as the insane, unheard of once-in-a-lifetime bank account bonus that easily made all of us nearly a grand at a guaranteed effective 36% APR for about 15 minutes of our time. We’ll all still be reminiscing about this deal the comments a decade from now as one of the top 10 all-time greatest opportunities that (most of) the DoC community has ever had the chance to take advantage of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter