• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I and DH applied last July and I was conditionally approved quickly, DH still has not. A smart person here suggested I go for my interview and then ask in person what can be done for him (perhaps bring him), but I never got an appointment set up that was anywhere close, so we’re still w/o GE. Our trip is in 2 weeks so we’ll just have to deal with it later.

You can do Enrollment on Arrival when you reenter the US. That would be in Ireland if you're flying out of one of the Preclearance facilities. Link

Not sure if they can tell you why your DH's app is stuck, but at least yours would be done.

I do have the No fee everyday AmEx which has MR’s. They are now combined with my MR’s from my Amex Gold. I think I need to figure out how to use the Uber and dining credits to take the edge off of paying that $250 AF.
I use Uber Eats and Grub Hub to pickup breakfast or lunch twice a month. I know others get $10 gift cards to Cheesecake Factory or Shake Shack to use later.

Interested in putting that some of that spend towards the Aspire or Hilton no fee card? Both cards come with a FNC and the Aspire comes with one annually, as well. Aspire gets you Diamond status as well. I easily recoup the AF on the Aspire, but I know others find it tricky to use the $250 resort credit.

The FNC are really easy to use as long as you find standard award availability. The only thing I don't love is that you have to call to book. If you're stacking the three FNCs in a row, you'll book each night individually. That could work out nicely anyways if you find, say, two nights available and then stalk for the third.

Someone mentioned the alert tool Openhotelalert, which I really like bc it's free and you can get text messages. You just have to look at the Hilton site to see what room is the standard room and then select just that room type at Openhotelalert. There are certain hotels that oddly don't have that room type on Openhotelalert, and that's when I use StaywithPoints to alert me.
Good idea on looking at an Aspire or no fee card. I need to do more research.

I think part of the issue I was having with Award nights (when I was looking at April 2024) was I needed a room for 3 in Paris. I saw a little more availability for a room for two so maybe I need to think about two rooms per night in Paris. Kids will be 20 and 19 so it seems like hotels allow that one of them could be on the second reservation when I checked policies.

Just noting this here (since it's here that I got my last deal on it) just got another 3 months free on Target circle app for appletv..... gotta binge watch a few shows
Where do you find that offer? I can't find it on my Circle app.

I am Ambassador for the first time this year as well, but I was able to use it at a Kimpton and any day of the week before 2023 rolled around and they changed things, so I'm not sure how it works with all of the limitations. I'm not certain if you have to actually use it at an Intercontinental Hotel & Resort? For example, I see both Miami Intercontintenals have availability to use the cert the first weekend I searched (6/02-6/04).

I actually did see some of those nights in Miami -- but was hoping to use the Ambassador weekend on a driving weekend trip. I'll defeat the "savings" if I chose a destination that req'd flights I think. After our Ireland trip in June, we're staying put until the summer is over (and enjoy our neighborhood pool/tennis complex). We go to Pensacola Beach in October (rental) and then Vegas in December (not on weekend nights). So figured I could find a long weekend to drive to the Mtns or the Coast (we live in NC) in the Fall but can't find anything. I did find a Intercontinental in DC and my DS/DDIL live in NoVa, so maybe we do a DC visit.

Edit: actually I'm confused by the DC hotels...they say there are no Ambassador Weekends, but when I click "view available dates" all the Sept/Oct weekends show up with pricing. I might have to call.

IMO don't join Ambassador until you have a real need/property to use it. I made a mistake thinking this was a widely available option to use but it's not. At least IMO.

Last edited:
Just noting this here (since it's here that I got my last deal on it) just got another 3 months free on Target circle app for appletv..... gotta binge watch a few shows
Thanks for reminding me, mine expires in a few days. Sadly my Target code says I've used tha max number of codes allowed ☹️ and we're still watching Ted Lasso.
ETA: Remembered T-Mobile gives 6 months free Apple TV+ I activated that. 😁
In the Target app, under My Target, there's a Target Circle offers section. It's not on the main page for Target Circle.

Last edited:

My friend recently returned from a stay there. I believe they upgraded a few of the nights to a bungalow, but not all of them. She said it was very nice, but these bungalows don't have the private pool that the ones in the Maldives do. She also thought the views were nicer in Bora Bora compared to the Maldives. We are all getting spoiled!

Yes, you're on the right track. You can also combine FNC nights with a "buy 4 get the 5th night free" points stays if you want to stay in one place longer.
Definitely spoiled thanks to this hobby. I’m open to the idea of a paid upgrade if it isn’t insane for the view I’d like. If not, that’s fine and I am happy to cross this location off the travel hacking to do list.

Thanks for reminding me, mine expires in a few days. Sadly my Target code says I've used tha max number of codes allowed ☹️ and we're still watching Ted Lasso.

In the Target app, under My Target, there's a Target Circle offers section. It's not on the main page for Target Circle.
You can also get 3 free months through Best Buy. This is how we’ve been watching it. I used my account for 3 months, and have now signed up using DH’s Apple account.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...ning-subscribers-only/6484512.p?skuId=6484512

Returned from Japan late last night. Immigration in ORD was a disaster and we almost missed our connection. We had a 2.5 hour layover and I would never cut it that close again in Chicago. We’ve done 2 hours in MIA and JFK immigration with no issue, but ORD was an absolute mess. We do not have global entry, but it didn’t seem to make much of a difference anyways… even people that did have GE were waiting almost as long as the regular lines.
I’ll do a write up of our Japan trip on the Reddit board within the next few days… and post here if anyone is interested. But we were so completely impressed and shocked by the culture, the respect, the organization, everything. It was truly an amazing country! DH said he would love to move there lol

ETA: Remembered T-Mobile gives 6 months free Apple TV+ I activated that. 😁

Do you create new Apple ID's each time you use a 3 month free offer? I used a free 3 month offer and I have been paying for the past 2 months. My Target Circle account uses the same email as my Apple ID so I do not know if this offer would work for me.

Do you create new Apple ID's each time you use a 3 month free offer? I used a free 3 month offer and I have been paying for the past 2 months. My Target Circle account uses the same email as my Apple ID so I do not know if this offer would work for me.
We have all done the 3 free months two or three times. My dd has one now, and when hers is up, I am hoping to get another one to go for one of the 4 of us. ds doesn't even have anything apple, but i created in ID for him, just to get apple tv.

Returned from Japan late last night. Immigration in ORD was a disaster and we almost missed our connection. We had a 2.5 hour layover and I would never cut it that close again in Chicago. We’ve done 2 hours in MIA and JFK immigration with no issue, but ORD was an absolute mess. We do not have global entry, but it didn’t seem to make much of a difference anyways… even people that did have GE were waiting almost as long as the regular lines.
I’ll do a write up of our Japan trip on the Reddit board within the next few days… and post here if anyone is interested. But we were so completely impressed and shocked by the culture, the respect, the organization, everything. It was truly an amazing country! DH said he would love to move there lol
Can’t wait for your trip report

Yes, it requires a new Apple ID. We fortunately have 4 in our house.

You may be aware that I despair of ever using my Virgin miles to book Biz class on ANA. The availability just hasn't been there and honestly I cannot afford hotels in Japan right now (for as long as I want to visit). The fuel surcharges to England are just as much as buying a ticket for cash, so that seems stupid. But I don't want to waste these points!

I just learned I can transfer Virgin points to IHG.

While IHG isn't necessarily a hotel I stay at often, I could use them for an upcoming Disneyland stay for MouseAdventure.

It's probably a terrible redemption "value" but better than losing them all together, I assume?

Anyone have a better idea for me?

Has anyone who's gotten another HIlton Biz confirmed they have the SUB on their account? I figured I'll wait till I have the actual card to check.

I had to google NFR — it’s a Rodeo thing? :). Looks like that starts the day AFTER the U2 concert, so maybe we’ll get lucky for the nights we need. Thanks for the info!
I'm gonna guess people will be there the day before. I'm normally there for a conference late Nov, and the NFR people are starting to show up when I leave and I think it's another week until it really kicks off. Good luck! But if rooms are $$$ that would be why ;)

So I'm a Hilton newby. I'm looking for some guidance on maximizing points/free night certificates. I just got the Biz card and I have the Surpass card. I can easily put $15k on both cards this year (estimated tax payments). So I can get my hands on three free night certificates (the one from the Biz MSR and two for spending $15k on each card). I also will have about 250k points or so.

So could I find a hotel in London (thinking early May next year) for 60k nights per point and get the fifth night free? Then stack the three free night certificates for Paris? I'm thinking I'm probably missing something.

ETA: Looks like the tricky part will be finding rooms that aren't premium room rewards.
We use my FNC on the AI in PDC. It's now our go to redemption. Though w/ my BF possibly changing jobs, who knows what kind of vacation he'll get or be able to bid :( Keep stalking the hotel, I've had standard nights pop up all the time. Also I've found it's best to look for 1 night at a time.

Has anyone been in the Chase Sapphire lounge in BOS yet or planning to soon? I see on CSR gets to bring free guests, and us CSP have to pay $75 (!) for a guest. We’ll be going thru BOS to Ireland to/from and was just planning to use “The Club” which should be free for both of us.

Oh wait — I just realized P2 also has a CSP, but I have no idea where is Priority Pass card is or if we ever got it. I think I need to do some deeper research because the Chase Sapphire lounge look very nice in BOS!

edit: I’m losing it — CSP doesn’t get PP? I have 2 PPs, but I think they are from Amex Plat and Venture X. Need to regroup, lol.
I visited the PP lounge in Boston last October. It was a nice space--not luxury--but much better than several PP lounges I've visited. There were plenty of snacks and drinks. I had access via Venture X, so if you have that you can get yourself and P2 in for free as a guest.

Please do not reach out to the bank confirming the SUB is attached. If you didn’t get the popup it will post.

Why not? Never heard it suggested not to see if the sub is attached. I often do it when I'm confirming the date I need to meet spend.

I know amex often gives incorrect info when it comes to confirming the sub but some of their reps are just bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter