• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Thanks, my last payment to DVC is due on 8/15/23, and I applied for the CSP on 6/27. So in theory, I could apply for the CIP on 7/27 or 7/28 (assuming the $8000 promo is still running) and hope the new card arrives in time. Anyone have experience if that would work?
Once approved you could either call or SM Chase and ask them to expedite the card, it should arrive in 2 business days UPS

You’re welcome! I imagine at some point I may find an IHG that I really want to visit besides the Willard. In the meantime, I’ve been delighted with using our capped FN certs in WDW. I’m in the same boat with Hilton and Hyatt. Love a big stash and always need more!
I am new to IHG points. Where do you like to use the FN certs at WDW?

The disappointment? 😂 COVID killed us having to book and re-book.
I guess I'm not sure I want to put in the work to plan, earn points and book a vacation I know I might not take. It's hard to get enthusiastic for anything.
I'm actually not inspired to plan anything right now but I'm not sure it's the job change per se or the general stress of changing jobs and the overall stress of the past few years that's getting me.
There have been so many last minute deals on redemptions lately. If you're not set on a destination rn, just wait. You have enough stress to deal with at the moment, and it seems you can find somewhere to go even last minute when you're ready.

I've seen a ton of support for the CSR card to purchase DVC but am curious if anyone knows whether the Amex Green Card is a viable alternative? It currently offers 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first six months of account opening, plus 20% back on eligible travel and transit purchases made during your first six months of card membership (up to $200 back). Lower fees than the CSR too...

Is there another card I'm missing? I haven't applied for anything in the past year and have a high enough credit score that I *should* get approved for just about anything. Currently have 3 cards in my wallet: Marriott Bonvoy, Citi Costco and Disney Premier, none of which I'm super excited about using if there's a better alternative out there.
Whether you look at the AmEx or CSR depends on how you value the bonus and card benefits. Generally the CSR has a higher value proposition BUT for some, the Green could edge it out. Let's work some quick numbers -

CSR bonus of 60k UR is a very easy $600 minimum value with a cash-into-bank-account rate of 1 CPP. It's also fairly easy to get 1.25 cpp cash value with PYB. And easy enough to get 1.5 cpp when using it through the travel portal agency for a value of $900. Some also get better value than that transferring to travel partners like Hyatt or airlines, that the CSR benefit allows.

The CSR's AF is offset by a $300 annual travel credit. Anything that codes as travel is eligible to be credited. You can double dip this annual benefit on one fee for a total of $600 in credits by timing your cancel or downgrade right at the end of the cardmember year. If you have routine travel charges - like tolls, parking, taxis, transit, etc - that can easily be spent, for one year this gives you a AF cost of negative $50; you can come out ahead.

Green card bonus of 60k MR has a minimum cash value of $360 as a statement credit on your account to erase specific charges at .6 cpp. (It's not very easy and not a good value, I highly recommend not doing this.) But hardly anyone uses them this way so a more comparable value would be $600 worth of something. It's a little more limited to get 1 cpp or better BUT it absolutely can be done with the right AmEx cards and/or transferring to travel partners. Some folks can get 2+ cpp with the right redemptions, so it all depends on how you have a plan to use them. (With certain Platinum cards you can cash out for 1 to 1.1 cpp. And since all MR pool together what you earn on the Green could be cashed out through a redemption with a Plat) So getting $900 or better value is a little more subjective and personal, but can be done.
If you have $1000 worth of travel in the first six months, than the $200 worth of statement credits is a nice kicker on top of the MR. So conceivably this is a $800+ bonus in the right circumstances.

The Green AF of $150 is not bad for that value. But there's not much to offset it. Again, for some this may be easy but for us we haven't once been able to use the Lounge Buddy credit. When we actually fly to an airport that has a participating lounge, it's been closed. So that $100 credit has a $0 value IME. If you were planning to use CLEAR, the $189 reimbursement credit would put you ahead by $39. So I personally look at it as, would I pay $150 to get $800 back? (Probably. That's what a lot of us do here :) )

This is by no means a comprehensive analysis. There's a bunch of stuff I haven't touched between the two cards. Like a lot of the points game, it's a bit subjective and will come down to personal goals and uses. You have to work out what will work better with your goals. Hope this helped!

I've seen a ton of support for the CSR card to purchase DVC but am curious if anyone knows whether the Amex Green Card is a viable alternative? It currently offers 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first six months of account opening, plus 20% back on eligible travel and transit purchases made during your first six months of card membership (up to $200 back). Lower fees than the CSR too...

Is there another card I'm missing? I haven't applied for anything in the past year and have a high enough credit score that I *should* get approved for just about anything. Currently have 3 cards in my wallet: Marriott Bonvoy, Citi Costco and Disney Premier, none of which I'm super excited about using if there's a better alternative out there.
I think a lucrative plan here would be between 2 players and 2 Ink Preferred cards referrals and MSR. Assuming your looking at 150 points VGF direct with the current incentives and if you already have one of the Chase Ink Business cards, P1 can refer P2 for 40k on the referral, P2 can refer P1 for 40k as well. MSR is 100k x 2. VGF direct with closing costs will code as 3x travel and you’d wind up with well over 350k UR points. If you don’t have an Ink business then subtract 40k for one referral and with a P2 you are still over 300k UR points. Hope that helps

dont have the hilton card its tempting to get for the status but I wonder if everyone has the status how valuable it actually is.
I do know the new conrad at grand cypress here in Orlando looks amazing might have to cheat on hyatt like my DW says :)
In my experience, less valuable than Globalist. That said, it has come in handy a few times. I am absolutely planning to burn a couple FN certs at that new Conrad!

The disappointment? 😂 COVID killed us having to book and re-book.
I guess I'm not sure I want to put in the work to plan, earn points and book a vacation I know I might not take. It's hard to get enthusiastic for anything.
I'm actually not inspired to plan anything right now but I'm not sure it's the job change per se or the general stress of changing jobs and the overall stress of the past few years that's getting me.

I’m still salty about canceling Ashford Castle in Ireland and a safari in Africa due to Covid. Haven’t rebooked either one. Normally, I’ve got almost all trips planned two years out. For once though, I’m purposely trying to not plan anything beyond our oldest niece’s graduation trip next summer.

Too many times I’ve had to pass up some super incredible deal or invite on a trip with friends because I’m all planned out and don’t have the vacation days available to do it. So I’ve decided to embrace a year of, let’s see how the wind blows and come what may. This is way out of my type A comfort zone 😂

So naturally, I’m sorta kinda planning for the year after that. Thinking New Zealand may be up after my “surprise” year of who knows what.

Anyhow, all that to say that sometimes not having things planned can lead you to some wonderful unexpected memories. So if you can’t get enthusiastic about something specific, maybe embrace the surprise opportunities that come your way. :flower3:

I’m still salty about canceling Ashford Castle in Ireland and a safari in Africa due to Covid. Haven’t rebooked either one. Normally, I’ve got almost all trips planned two years out. For once though, I’m purposely trying to not plan anything beyond our oldest niece’s graduation trip next summer.

Too many times I’ve had to pass up some super incredible deal or invite on a trip with friends because I’m all planned out and don’t have the vacation days available to do it. So I’ve decided to embrace a year of, let’s see how the wind blows and come what may. This is way out of my type A comfort zone 😂

So naturally, I’m sorta kinda planning for the year after that. Thinking New Zealand may be up after my “surprise” year of who knows what.

Anyhow, all that to say that sometimes not having things planned can lead you to some wonderful unexpected memories. So if you can’t get enthusiastic about something specific, maybe embrace the surprise opportunities that come your way. :flower3:
Great take. I'm also very type A. DS wants WDW next year but the prices just make me cringe.
DS is also starting high school so we're really limited to school holidays and summer which are super busy times for any vacations.
Thanks to those chiming in. I think I'll start the new job, see how things go and maybe watch for some deals that might appeal. I think the idea of starting a new job after 18 years at the last place is stressful enough for now.

So I have to book my Carnival cruise today if I want it. I have it on hold, but I wanted to see what else I could find. I can't get anything else to pop up. UGH. The sight just spins and spins....I wanted to see if the cruise my friend is on is an option.

Said friend is also someone I've gone to Vegas w/ in the past. She told me they are planning a trip 8/14-18. I have an IHG night expiring 8/15. Palazzo where they are staying had a free night open! So I booked it, LOL. I figure I can non-rev out on the morning of the 14th, then come home on the red eye on the 15th, LOL. I have so many trips planned right now and I still need to get one (or two) planned w/ the kids...

July 11-13 - Vegas w/ the BF
July 26-28 - Nashville w/ the BFF
Aug 7-10 NC possibly w/ the BF, possibly the kiddos.
Aug 14-15 Vegas.

I don't know where I could squeeze a trip in for the kids. They want Mexico and they want Cedar Point, LOL.

FSA- tons in August (58), a few in June, one in July. We just booked an August one! It wasnt the longest/fanciest we could have chosen but it is on a nicer ship and gave us a window which I really need on a cruise when possible haha
I didn't get any of those I don't think. I may need to go and look again. But I can't get the offer to let me. I think because I have the one cruise on hold. UGH.

Well looking at SB flights, I've "cancelled" my hold for the Spring Break cruise, LOL. I may look and see what dates I can get next summer when flights should be cheaper. I may "risk" flying non-rev into Miami for Spring Break....as much as losing $500 would suck, it's better than the $2000 2 tickets from DTW to MIA are right now! OUCH!

I looked at using points (Delta, AA, etc) and those were INSANE too! I think since it's Spring Break, I'm screwed. I'd be better to try and book a summer if I can.

Too many times I’ve had to pass up some super incredible deal or invite on a trip with friends because I’m all planned out and don’t have the vacation days available to do it.
Right?! That keeps happening with us this year! Not everybody is planning how to use their vacation days years in advance, lol, so we've missed out on some opportunities or last minute deals. So next year we're leaving one week of vacation days unclaimed to embrace some spontaneity and see how that goes. That still leaves me with four weeks of trips to continue planning (including our first Japan trip!) and thus feed the planner monster inside me. And I'm thinking we'll take many weekend trips domestically as well. We'll see how that goes and adjust for 2025.

I'm trying to plan our first empty nest spring break.

I'm stuck between Hawaii and Aruba. We've been to Hawaii a ton but we always love it! We've never been to Hawaii without the kids and are wondering if it will be weird being there without them. We've never been to Aruba, it would be an "exchange" using our timeshare points. I'm unsure about the quality of the resort since it is an exchange. Anyone out there have thoughts on Aruba?

We’re about to book our returning flights for our Japan trip. We can choose between SFO or ORD. ORD is 2 hours longer but our flight home from there is 3-4 hours shorter than SFO. Does anyone think one would be better than the other? Flights are filling quickly so we may have to end up taking whatever we can get

I am starting a new job in 2 weeks. As such, I have not planned any vacations for the rest of this year or next as I will have no accrued vacation for awhile. In addition, I will be the only person in my department so my vacations will either be uncovered (meaning lots of catch up when I return) or I will have to work it out with another facility to help cover my time off.
Knowing that, would you try to book refundable things now, or wait a few months to see how things are working and hope for the best when booking?
Ooh, what are you doing now? I’m not sure how many more years of icu nutrition I can handle.

I’m attempting to wait out the home infusion dietitian retiring, but who knows how much longer. She keeps telling me soon lol.

Okay I'm finally looking at my free cruise offers. I have one on hold w/ Carnival for my Spring Break next year. It's an 8 day, going from Miami to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Martin, and somewhere else. It would be me and my 14yo. Port/Fees are $325. I know Carnival is the Spirit of the water...you know I love Spirit though (because it's free). I'll likely have to book our flights as non-rev over holidays is hard. Do you think it's worth it? The reviews of the ship say it's pretty old. I have only done 1 cruise...it was for the Millenium and on Carnival...on a super old ship back then, LOL. I'm pretty sure my son won't care too much. But then again, IDK.

The other thing is, my Spring Break is like 3 days after we get back from Ireland....I feel like that might be a lot to take on, LOL.

Would you spend $325 on a carnival cruise? Can I go from Ireland to the Caribbean 2 days later? LOL
which ship? we've been on almost every cruise line! food wise, Virin, Disney, Carnival and Princess have been the best. with your 14yo carnival will be fine!

We’re about to book our returning flights for our Japan trip. We can choose between SFO or ORD. ORD is 2 hours longer but our flight home from there is 3-4 hours shorter than SFO. Does anyone think one would be better than the other? Flights are filling quickly so we may have to end up taking whatever we can get

I'd go with whatever is available, or whichever you prefer. ORD can be a mess, so just make sure you have enough time for your connection. On the plus side, if you fly to ORD you get to be in the fancy seats longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter