• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few weeks ago I bought a $500 Visa Gift Card with my CIP from giftcards.com The fee is $6.95 plus $1.99 shipping but I get $6 back going through Ebates. However, the purchase codes as 3x on the CIP. This is a $9-10 money maker for every card I buy. My goal is to now max SO and I’s CIP of 150k which should lead to a profit of over 500k URs every year.

Is this going too far? The cards are easy to get money orders with since I put my name on them.

Also two orders of mine got cancelled since I did two $500 cards. I think I have to stick with one at a time. My order was cancelled but I earned the ebates cash already. I’m assuming this will get taken back some how?

If anyone is in Manhattan 4/11 or 4/12, IHG is doing a launch party event at Grand Central Terminal for the new cards. If you're an existing cardholder there's supposed to be a giveaway. Very sparse on the details.
I’m going to try to check it out tomorrow morning before work. I’ll report back if I make it there. Hopefully I remember to put my IHG card back in my wallet tonight. *sets reminder for self*

interesting stuff. Source
that statement is towards the end.

What do we think will happen to the Chase Marriott and Amex SPG cards?

Amex SPG Personal: Consumer card, not “super premium,” I doubt it’ll be converted to Amex’s “super premium” Starriott consumer card. Per VFTW, it’ll be “grandfathered” — does that mean Amex will continue to keep the card as an SPG personal card? Or will Amex send this portfolio over to Chase?

Amex SPG Business: Small business card, which is what Amex got out of the Starriott cards negotiations. I think the SPG Biz is most likely to be converted to a Starriott Biz, if at all. If forceably converted, does this preclude us from getting a once in lifetime signup bonus by signing up for the new Starriott Biz since we’ll be deemed to have had this product by conversion?

Chase Marriott Personal: Consumer card which fits in with what Chase will be issuing. Will it be converted to the new Starriott personal card? I’m guessing we can cancel the card and sign up for the Starriott personal card bonus.

Chase Marriott Business: Chase won’t issue Starriott business cards, so either these accounts get sent to Amex or they get converted to one of Chase’s own products (like the Fairmont to CSP), maybe a CIP or CIC?

ok thanks for the link. I read it, and wondering,I have the last cc (from the 60k offer) and I just redeemed some points, but I don't see anything put back to my points acct.... how long is it supposed to take to get 10% back?

So a few weeks ago I bought a $500 Visa Gift Card with my CIP from giftcards.com The fee is $6.95 plus $1.99 shipping but I get $6 back going through Ebates. However, the purchase codes as 3x on the CIP. This is a $9-10 money maker for every card I buy. My goal is to now max SO and I’s CIP of 150k which should lead to a profit of over 500k URs every year.

Is this going too far? The cards are easy to get money orders with since I put my name on them.

Also two orders of mine got cancelled since I did two $500 cards. I think I have to stick with one at a time. My order was cancelled but I earned the ebates cash already. I’m assuming this will get taken back some how?

I may do this for VGCs to use on nonbonus spend, since SF is a wasteland for MS.

Just a warning that I have seen reports of Chase shutdowns for abusing bonus categories, so be careful with something as obvious as GC .com.

Ebates may or may not claw back cash back, depends on the retailer.

Oh believe me that is one of the FIRST questions I ask! Is it ridiculous that I would base a car purchase on how much of the down I can put on an AMEX?

This is probably the wrong place to ask :laughing: I see nothing wrong with weighting those dealerships way higher than others, hehe.

ETA: I can't believe nobody will let me put the whole purchase on it! Lol

Yeah, those days are gone, unfortunately. Even 10 years ago I asked and I got a nope. When we bought hubby's car it was the one of the first things I asked the dealer "how much of a down payment can I put on my CC?" I think they let us do 5k. :smooth:

ok thanks for the link. I read it, and wondering,I have the last cc (from the 60k offer) and I just redeemed some points, but I don't see anything put back to my points acct.... how long is it supposed to take to get 10% back?
I also have the credit card and am supposed to get the 10% back. I redeemed some points on Feb 1st, just checked my activity and the 10% points back have not posted. I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it. I looked at the terms and it says they are supposed to post within 4-6 weeks. Looks like I'll need to make a call to see what happened to mine!

I'm trying to follow the info on SPG/Marriott but it seems so confusing! DH has about 50k SPG I have 42k SPG and 120k Marriott. I was thinking about combining them for an air/hotel package on Marriott at some point. Should I be combining the points now? All our travel plans are set for this year and I don't have any specific plans to use it - should I pull the trigger now or wait it out?

I'm trying to follow the info on SPG/Marriott but it seems so confusing! DH has about 50k SPG I have 42k SPG and 120k Marriott. I was thinking about combining them for an air/hotel package on Marriott at some point. Should I be combining the points now? All our travel plans are set for this year and I don't have any specific plans to use it - should I pull the trigger now or wait it out?

That's the exact dilemma I was facing. I pulled the trigger this morning. I feel better having "monetized" those points into United miles I will need at some point versus waiting and seeing what happens with transfer partners, etc. But my family is somewhat unique in that we do a lot of small-group travel, and for Disney we are DVC, so our need for actual hotel nights is fewer and more far between than many on this thread. I'll consider it a bonus if we find a use for the 7-night stay certificate.

It's confusing because it's all rumors at this point, who knows what will actually happen? I don't have any plans either so I'm waiting it out to see what the new program holds. If I had an SO with a chunk of points I think I'd go ahead and consolidate into one account, don't really lose anything by doing that right now, right? Some people here have no use for hotel points so they are extracting what airline points they know they can use now instead of running the risk that won't be an option down the road. I'm hoping to get a nice spg hotel redemption sometime down the road and if not hopefully Starriott will still have some sort of flights/miles offering available so maybe I'd go that direction. Personally, I feel lucky as I see value in the points as hotel points if it comes to that.

I may do this for VGCs to use on nonbonus spend, since SF is a wasteland for MS.

Just a warning that I have seen reports of Chase shutdowns for abusing bonus categories, so be careful with something as obvious as GC .com.

Ebates may or may not claw back cash back, depends on the retailer.

Yeah, I’m worried about a shutdown. I think I’m going to start slow and maybe ramp it up. Also, I thought when I checked my statement it said cars.com? But I may have really saw that on mint. I can check later.

It's rarely I have to ask a Starwood question, but here goes:

If I transfer my SPG points to Marriott - at the present time - can those points be transferred back to Starwood if needed?

I'm not feeling up to doing the research or making a phone call, so thanks in advance if you've done this already and know the answer. Been under the weather all weekend with a spring cold.

I also have the credit card and am supposed to get the 10% back. I redeemed some points on Feb 1st, just checked my activity and the 10% points back have not posted. I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it. I looked at the terms and it says they are supposed to post within 4-6 weeks. Looks like I'll need to make a call to see what happened to mine!

For me JetBlue is notoriously slow for putting points on account. Even when i met my minimum spend it was like minimum
2 months wait i saw the points. Hopefully for you and hsmamato if will faster for redeeming.

Oh believe me that is one of the FIRST questions I ask! Is it ridiculous that I would base a car purchase on how much of the down I can put on an AMEX?

I just started this hobby in earnest in January; I might already need an intervention! :P

ETA: I can't believe nobody will let me put the whole purchase on it! Lol

I could buy a really nice car with the credit line that Chase gave me on my CSR!

Funny, I read a blog post about this a month ago on FrequentMiler. I'm copying what one of the commenters ("Al Proudfoot") said about buying cars with a credit card:

>>I bought 2 cars in the last 5 months and used a CC on both of them. I used an AMEX on both, but could have used a Visa or MC if I wanted to. I negotiated a rock bottom deal and when asked if I wanted to finance, I said no but I will be paying with a CC. Their policy was to allow for $5k max so i told them that I am ready to buy now with my CC or happy to go to a competing dealer across town. I told the salesman that if the floor manager or finance manager comes out of the back, I would leave immediately. “You are my salesman so you get the deal done for me or I will leave”. They wined a bit but did the deals. I bought $80,000 in purchased and got 1.5x on AMEX.

Great to look at a bunch if complicated programs but as a salesman I always use an assumptive close and take the easier route.<<

Sounds like the guy was willing to be hard-nosed about it and it worked for him. Don't know that I would have the endurance (I hate buying cars) to go through all that myself...

I've seen this option at the grocery store when using my Discover Card. I rarely use this card unless it's for a bonus category since I have the old version that earns a paltry .25% on the first $3k of purchases per year. I stopped by Safeway on my way to work this morning to get bananas and was able to get $20 cashback. I'm starting small until I see if it counts as a grocery purchase. My statement closes on the 20th so I'll know then.
I think it counts as cash advance but not sure

Funny, I read a blog post about this a month ago on FrequentMiler. I'm copying what one of the commenters ("Al Proudfoot") said about buying cars with a credit card:

>>I bought 2 cars in the last 5 months and used a CC on both of them. I used an AMEX on both, but could have used a Visa or MC if I wanted to. I negotiated a rock bottom deal and when asked if I wanted to finance, I said no but I will be paying with a CC. Their policy was to allow for $5k max so i told them that I am ready to buy now with my CC or happy to go to a competing dealer across town. I told the salesman that if the floor manager or finance manager comes out of the back, I would leave immediately. “You are my salesman so you get the deal done for me or I will leave”. They wined a bit but did the deals. I bought $80,000 in purchased and got 1.5x on AMEX.

Great to look at a bunch if complicated programs but as a salesman I always use an assumptive close and take the easier route.<<

Sounds like the guy was willing to be hard-nosed about it and it worked for him. Don't know that I would have the endurance (I hate buying cars) to go through all that myself...
The last truck we purchase we probably could have gotten it on a cc but unfortunately we didn’t have the funds to pay it off. The van we got 6 months before that would only all the taxes and fees to be put on a cc.

Now that I've signed up for Plastiq, I have a question for you experts. My mom lives in an assisted living place and her rent is > $6500/month. I am in charge of her finances, so I pay all of her bills for her. I've been writing checks for her rent, but I could be doing this through Plastiq and putting it on the CIP, right? As long as the CIP keeps getting 3x UR with Plastiq, are there any downsides to this that I'm not thinking of?

So, slightly off topic but I figure someone will know the answer to this one.

What is a good, easy to get card for someone who is just starting her financial life? Doesn’t need to have a ton of points, as I’m not sure she will get into the points game, but I’d like her to at least get something.

She will be graduating from grad school in a few weeks. I think she said her credit score is in the mid to upper 700s. She hasn’t ever had credit in her own name, except for student loans, but she’s been an authorized user on a few of my cards for over seven years while she’s been in school, and more recently I’ve added her to my CSP and Marriott cards. As I recall, I may have done that for the bonus points. I will be taking her off of all these after she gets a couple cards of her own.

She has a good paying job lined up beginning in June. Should she wait until she has a particular number of months at her job before applying? And which cards do you suggest? I already know to stay away from CapOne with their funky qualifying and all three credit bureau pulls. I was thinking CF or SW, but I’m not sure if the new SW one will be tougher to qualify for. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter