I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally found award availability for a quick flight we wanted to do this weekend but the fees are $80 per ticket! Is this common? I'm used to the fees being $5-10. Do they go up as you approach the flight date?

Some airlines have a fee for award bookings that are less than "x" number of days from travel. I think they vary from airline to airline and are called close in booking fee. I think AA's is $75 for 21 days out.

So I finally found award availability for a quick flight we wanted to do this weekend but the fees are $80 per ticket! Is this common? I'm used to the fees being $5-10. Do they go up as you approach the flight date?
Yep, that looks like the close in booking fee being added in to me. From the website "$75 for award tickets booked or mileage upgrades requested less than 21 days prior to departure" I'm surprised the cost isn't closer to $86 per person, or are you booking one way? I thought taxes and fees were around $5.60 each way? So it's $75 + $taxes = $$/per ticket (https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/optional-service-fees.jsp)

Was very excited yesterday when Informed Delivery sent me an email with an image of a nondescript looking envelope from Barclaycard as I'm waiting for my Arrival+. And then the mail never got delivered yesterday. Finally delivered today only to find out the envelope was just an old letter asking for id verification docs (which I've already sent and they already approved). C'mon Barclaycard. Also, to come home to an email telling me all the great benefits and why I should be charging using my new Arrival+ was just wrong...

Thanks for walking me through that. Yeah, that is a huge difference in the CSR bonus. I wasn't planning on the business card because I don't think there's anyway I can honestly claim a business. No selling on Etsy or Ebay, no rentals; I used to freelance write but haven't done that in a few years.
We have excellent credit and are at 1/24 for Chase. Thanks again for the ideas. I'm going to work through these steps to process them in my head. :)

Don't count yourself out! I understand your hesitation. I felt the same when I applied and got approved for the CIP recently. I don't have a formal business (Corp., LLC, LLP or even EIN), but like you I did do independent (consulting) work from 2013-15 and earned 1099-MISC income. I also have excellent personal credit (~800-820). It looks like I may have some similar opportunities coming up in the fall so I went ahead and applied as if I was just continuing the business. I was approved for the CIP with a sizable credit line! You have to realize that business cards are not only for established businesses, but also startups and people who might only have an idea or a plan. You might have seen those kinds of commercials for Chase Ink or Amex Plum!

Freelance writing is your business, and if you have any plans to ever do it again you're still in that line of work and have a colorable claim to need a business card to keep any business expenses separate. Once you're approved, issuers don't really care if you follow through with your plans or not, as long as you pay your bills.

Here are some good links that should help:
https://millionmilesecrets.com/2014...-ultimate-rewards-points-chase-ink-plus-card/
https://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/12/12/chase-business-credit-card-application/
https://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/11/14/ink-business-preferred-application/

Last edited:
Bloody hell I literally started my account two weeks ago.

If someone could post the email please, I didn't get it yet.

That's one of my favorite expressions! :laughing: Sorry, that you didn't get the opportunity to use the DVA. Below is the email:

Thanks for Participating
To current account holders:

Thank you for your participation in the Disney Vacation Account program. At this time, we are discontinuing the program and no new accounts or contributions are being accepted.

As a true Disney fan, and to show our appreciation for your participation in the program, below are four (4) options you can choose from. If you have more than one account with the Disney Vacation Account program, you may want to take action for each account.

Option 1
Use the total amount in your account to purchase a Disney Gift Card (depending on the amount in your account, you may need to purchase multiple Disney Gift Cards) by September 27, 2017, and we'll add an extra 5% on your Disney Gift Card(s). We'll email the gift card right to your inbox for immediate use. If you are entitled to more than $10,000 in Disney Gift Cards (after including the extra 5%), they will be emailed to you over the course of a few days.

Option 2
Redeem your Disney Vacation Account toward the Disney vacation of your choice. And, if you haven't already booked a vacation, here is an amazing offer for Walt Disney World® Resort:

Stay and play for just $899
for a family of 3 with this package that includes
a 3-night stay in a standard room at Disney's All-Star Sports Resort or
Disney's All-Star Music Resort AND 2-day Theme Park tickets!
For stays most nights 7/25–8/5, 8/27–9/9,
9/24–10/5, 10/22–11/4 and 12/10–12/21/17.
Book through 9/27/17.

Ask about great rates available at other Disney Resort hotels!

Price based on 2 adults and 1 child (ages 3 to 9). The number of rooms allocated for this package is limited. Tickets valid for one Theme Park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use.

Length-of-stay requirements may apply. Additional per-adult charges may apply if more than two adults per room. Advance reservations required. Offer is nontransferable and cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion. Call (407) 934-7639 for more information or to book.

Be sure to mention your unique offer code found in your email or letter.

Option 3
Do nothing. Starting after September 27, 2017, Disney will begin to close Disney Vacation Accounts and process refunds. If you have funds in a Disney Vacation Account after September 27, 2017, then some time after that date you will receive a full refund of your balance to your original form of payment or by check to the mailing address we have on file for you. Due to the nature of the program, Guests may experience delays in the refund process.

To thank you for your participation and for your patience during the refund process, a bonus of 2% of your closing balance or $5.00 (whichever is greater) will be placed on a Disney Gift Card and emailed to you. The bonus Disney Gift Card will be delivered separately from your refund. Please allow up to 15 days between the delivery of the refund and the bonus Disney Gift Card.

Option 4
Request a refund before the refund process described in Option 3 is completed, and your full unused balance will be refunded to your original form of payment or by check to the mailing address we have on file for you. With this option 4, you will not be eligible to receive the bonus Disney Gift Card.

Thanks again for your participation and for your understanding. All amounts in your Disney Vacation Account are fully refundable.

– The Disney Vacation Account Team

That's one of my favorite expressions! :laughing: Sorry, that you didn't get the opportunity to use the DVA. Below is the email:

Thanks for Participating
To current account holders:

Thank you for your participation in the Disney Vacation Account program. At this time, we are discontinuing the program and no new accounts or contributions are being accepted.

As a true Disney fan, and to show our appreciation for your participation in the program, below are four (4) options you can choose from. If you have more than one account with the Disney Vacation Account program, you may want to take action for each account.

Option 1
Use the total amount in your account to purchase a Disney Gift Card (depending on the amount in your account, you may need to purchase multiple Disney Gift Cards) by September 27, 2017, and we'll add an extra 5% on your Disney Gift Card(s). We'll email the gift card right to your inbox for immediate use. If you are entitled to more than $10,000 in Disney Gift Cards (after including the extra 5%), they will be emailed to you over the course of a few days.

Option 2
Redeem your Disney Vacation Account toward the Disney vacation of your choice. And, if you haven't already booked a vacation, here is an amazing offer for Walt Disney World® Resort:

Stay and play for just $899
for a family of 3 with this package that includes
a 3-night stay in a standard room at Disney's All-Star Sports Resort or
Disney's All-Star Music Resort AND 2-day Theme Park tickets!
For stays most nights 7/25–8/5, 8/27–9/9,
9/24–10/5, 10/22–11/4 and 12/10–12/21/17.
Book through 9/27/17.

Ask about great rates available at other Disney Resort hotels!

Price based on 2 adults and 1 child (ages 3 to 9). The number of rooms allocated for this package is limited. Tickets valid for one Theme Park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use.

Length-of-stay requirements may apply. Additional per-adult charges may apply if more than two adults per room. Advance reservations required. Offer is nontransferable and cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion. Call (407) 934-7639 for more information or to book.

Be sure to mention your unique offer code found in your email or letter.

Option 3
Do nothing. Starting after September 27, 2017, Disney will begin to close Disney Vacation Accounts and process refunds. If you have funds in a Disney Vacation Account after September 27, 2017, then some time after that date you will receive a full refund of your balance to your original form of payment or by check to the mailing address we have on file for you. Due to the nature of the program, Guests may experience delays in the refund process.

To thank you for your participation and for your patience during the refund process, a bonus of 2% of your closing balance or $5.00 (whichever is greater) will be placed on a Disney Gift Card and emailed to you. The bonus Disney Gift Card will be delivered separately from your refund. Please allow up to 15 days between the delivery of the refund and the bonus Disney Gift Card.

Option 4
Request a refund before the refund process described in Option 3 is completed, and your full unused balance will be refunded to your original form of payment or by check to the mailing address we have on file for you. With this option 4, you will not be eligible to receive the bonus Disney Gift Card.

Thanks again for your participation and for your understanding. All amounts in your Disney Vacation Account are fully refundable.

– The Disney Vacation Account Team

Well, this is just another loss of a travel hack to save some cash. The game always changes, that's for sure. I'm bummed about this.

@calypso726 - can we just pay for Adventures by Disney with a giftcard direct over the phone? I do not buy Disney products (no kids, thus no toys!), therefore I have no need for these giftcards. :)

Bloody hell I literally started my account two weeks ago.

If someone could post the email please, I didn't get it yet.
Ha, me too! The 8th. I put $10 to open because I was just going to load GCs in right before I paid something. Oh well... I'm going to go with option 3 and get a $5 gift card lol.

Yep, that looks like the close in booking fee being added in to me. From the website "$75 for award tickets booked or mileage upgrades requested less than 21 days prior to departure" I'm surprised the cost isn't closer to $86 per person, or are you booking one way? I thought taxes and fees were around $5.60 each way? So it's $75 + $taxes = $$/per ticket (https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/optional-service-fees.jsp)
Yeah one way, 241.80 for 3tix to be exact. I think I'm gonna have to give up on this. $241 each way plus soccer tix and hotel, food etc. just turned into $1k for 2 days. Can't do it.

ETA: and thanks for reading the website for me, which I should have just done myself. SMH.

Was very excited yesterday when Informed Delivery sent me an email with an image of a nondescript looking envelope from Barclaycard as I'm waiting for my Arrival+. And then the mail never got delivered yesterday. Finally delivered today only to find out the envelope was just an old letter asking for id verification docs (which I've already sent and they already approved). C'mon Barclaycard. Also, to come home to an email telling me all the great benefits and why I should be charging using my new Arrival+ was just wrong...
:sad2:

DH got the Amex business 150,000 point bonus offer in the mail today offer ends 9/22. He is still at 3/24 with Chase, would it be worth it for him to apply? We won't be able to do the $15k spending so we'll only get the 100k bonus. Is it worth the $450 fee? He was going to apply for the CIP when we finished our SW MS. Our travel planes for next year are California road trip for 2 weeks, we'll need air, hotel and rental car. In 2019 we are doing a Disney cruise, either Alaska or Europe in May.

Well, this is just another loss of a travel hack to save some cash. The game always changes, that's for sure. I'm bummed about this.

@calypso726 - can we just pay for Adventures by Disney with a giftcard direct over the phone? I do not buy Disney products (no kids, thus no toys!), therefore I have no need for these giftcards. :)

Yes, we can. I don't have kids either and I don't buy toys. I will still be buying Disney gift cards and paying for Adventures by Disney with said gift cards over the phone moving forward. If I pay them direct with my CSR, I get 3x UR points. If I buy Disney gift cards with the Freedom and Ink+ I get 5x UR points. With ABD that difference adds up. For our China ABD trip next year, paying with the CSR and earning 3x would get us 47,394 UR points. That's worth only about $710 in the travel portal. Buying the gift cards at 5x and transferring those UR points to my CSR account would get us 78,990 UR points. That's worth about $1184 in the travel portal. I will miss the additional 2% with the DVA to be honest. But the main bulk of the future travel points and savings will come from the Chase trifecta of Freedom 5x, Ink+ 5x and transfer to CSR account.

DH got the Amex business 150,000 point bonus offer in the mail today offer ends 9/22. He is still at 3/24 with Chase, would it be worth it for him to apply? We won't be able to do the $15k spending so we'll only get the 100k bonus. Is it worth the $450 fee? He was going to apply for the CIP when we finished our SW MS. Our travel planes for next year are California road trip for 2 weeks, we'll need air, hotel and rental car. In 2019 we are doing a Disney cruise, either Alaska or Europe in May.

Definitely worth the $450 but we've seen the offer a few times. Given the choice I'd go for the CIP and UR points while still under 5/24. If you have the CSR the 80k points are worth $1200 when you transfer to the CSR account. The Amex MR are worth $1,000. My concern wouldn't be the 5/24 issue as the Amex business card may not show up on your credit report. I'd be more concerned with the 80k CIP offer dropping to 50k.

Last edited:
Yes, we can. I don't have kids either and I don't buy toys. I will still be buying Disney gift cards and paying for Adventures by Disney with said gift cards over the phone moving forward. If I pay them direct with my CSR, I get 3x UR points. If I buy Disney gift cards with the Freedom and Ink+ I get 5x UR points. With ABD that difference adds up. For our China ABD trip next year, paying with the CSR and earning 3x would get us 47,394 UR points. That's worth only about $710 in the travel portal. Buying the gift cards at 5x and transferring those UR points to my CSR account would get us 78,990 UR points. That's worth about $1184 in the travel portal. I will miss the additional 2% with the DVA to be honest. But the main bulk of the future travel points and savings will come from the Chase trifecta of Freedom 5x, Ink+ 5x and transfer to CSR account.

This is very helpful information!! Thank you.

Definitely worth the $450 but we've seen the offer a few times. Given the choice I'd go for the CIP and UR points while still under 5/24. If you have the CSR the 80k points are worth $1200 when you transfer tot he CSR account. The Amex MR are worth $1,000. My concern wouldn't be the 5/24 issue as the Amex business card may not show up on your credit report. I'd be more concerned with the 80k CIP offer dropping to 50k.
And thank you for the advice. I think we will go this route.

Thank you. This is helpful to know. I definitely agree on the giftcards with a credit card to earn extra points! Plus, you get an immediate cash discount by buying the giftcards at a discount. I love being cheap, ha.

Dang DVA. We have $600 there from Dec to meet the CSR travel credit. But, 5% is a nice gift. Now what to do with Disney gift cards? I like using my CSR to pay the bill for the trip and get 3x points. I can't use gift cards to pay my CSR bill right?

BTW got my CSP today and it's metal. CSR, CSP, and Amazon all metal cards now. Weird, sort of makes the CSR less cool (yes I'm a dork).

Calypso, any tips on best way to pay for a Disney Cruise? We have never been, and wife is nervous due to a bit of motion sickness. But, if I can mostly pay for it via rewards she'll do it.

Dang DVA. We have $600 there from Dec to meet the CSR travel credit. But, 5% is a nice gift. Now what to do with Disney gift cards? I like using my CSR to pay the bill for the trip and get 3x points. I can't use gift cards to pay my CSR bill right?

BTW got my CSP today and it's metal. CSR, CSP, and Amazon all metal cards now. Weird, sort of makes the CSR less cool (yes I'm a dork).

Calypso, any tips on best way to pay for a Disney Cruise? We have never been, and wife is nervous due to a bit of motion sickness. But, if I can mostly pay for it via rewards she'll do it.

No, you can't use the gift cards to pay for the CSR but you can use them to pay for the cruise. 3x points are nice but 5x are better. As I mentioned in a previous post, I like to use the Freedom and Ink+ to purchase Disney gift cards at 5x. Those UR points are transferred to the CSR account in case I want to redeem for travel so they would be worth more. But I'd likely transfer to an airline.

Love Disney cruises and we will be on number 18 next month LOL I also get motion sickness, so I use Bonine. I get no motion sickness as long as I take the Bonine.

So, a few methods that would work for a Disney cruise and I am going to use $5,000 as the cost of the cruise since it is an easy number to work with.

1) Pay with existing UR points at 1.5 and save that amount (depending on how many points you have) on the total cost.
2) Pay it with the CSR and earned 3x for 15,000 UR points which are worth $225 toward future travel.
3) Purchase Disney gift cards at 5x with a Freedom card and earn 25,000 UR points worth $375 toward future travel and use the Disney gift cards to pay for the cruise.
4) Purchase 5% discounted Disney gift cards via Sam's or BJ's, through a shopping portal and use a rewards earning card. Cruise is now $4750 in gift cards, you earned 4750 miles/points through the shopping portal and 4750 or more points/miles with the rewards earning credit card.
5)Sign up for some cash back cards with a good bonus like the Barclay Arrival Plus and the Cap One Venture. Between those 2, after the spend you'd have $1,000 in points that are redeemable for travel so you could wipe $1,000 of the cost of the cruise. DH and I each did this and we also added the Wells Fargo Propel card for an 11 day Iceland, Norway Scotland cruise back in 2015. When all was said and done we were able to charge $3,000 to the ship board account in excursions, tastings, the spa, souvenirs etc. and divide it up between the 3 cards. When we got home and the bill came in we were able to wipe erase all those charges with the bonus points from opening each of those cards.

So those are a few ideas.

That's not a problem. When you funded your DVA with CSR, it sounds like you redeemed the $300 travel credits but you also earned 3x UR points on the contributions. DVA is offering another 5% on top of that.

You can definitely use a Disney Gift Card to pay for a Disney Cruise, and pretty much anything else Disney, including Walt Disney World and Disneyland resorts, theme park tickets and annual passes, dining, merchandise, tours, special events, Disney Store, Disneystore .com, the Shop Disney Parks app, Aulani, DVC fees.

@calypso726 outlined savings by taking advantage of Chase Freedom and Ink+ (and Cash) category bonuses to buy Disney Gift Cards from grocery, warehouse, and office supply stores when you can earn 5x UR points. However, there are other strategies to to save or stretch your dollar on gift cards, and the Disney Gift Card Deals thread here on the Budget Board has so many other tips and updates how.

Last edited:

Theres a bunch of way to make minimums. Some do come at a cost. You guy have a mortgage? well, use plastiq, pay $100 fee, pay like $2500 to your mortgage.
Other fee free way is overpaying your bill. Pay like $1000 into your water bill, or electric bill... etc
Another way to meet minimums is to find bank accounts that lets you fund the account with a credit card... ie, PNC. PNC i think does $2000 for checking, $2000 for savings. thats a $4000 to add to your minimums. They might not take Amex though...

anyone know if all banks/credit unions can process car payments thru a cc? I'm trying to advise a friend...I did it in the past to meet a spend...looking for solid info- thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter