I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love all the talk about Bora Bora and over-water bungalows. It's been on my dream list for years. I've always pictured it without kids, so have been waiting for them to get old enough so grandma can handle both. Think they're about at that point, so maybe 2020 or 2021 for an anniversary. Years ago, I looked through all the reviews and decided I wanted the Four Seasons, lol. Maybe the Citi Prestige for 4th night free combined with Four Seasons 4th night free. But it's so far off, who knows what will change. Maybe a good reason to build up some Starriott points.

Plans for the new year (I'm at 3/24 or 4/24 if CapOne Venture approval ever goes through, DH is 1/24) -
CIC for both me and DH
Citi Prestige for DH once they relaunch if the bonus is good (no go for me since I have the Premier)
AmEx Plat if the 100k unicorn ever appears

I go through a portal for GCM that gives me cashback. Swagbucks, ebates or even the an airline portal at Giftcards.com gives at least 1% so it’s really just the shipping fee so I try to do big orders. And pay $10 in shipping. The MO fees are .49-99 cents but I frequently use Ibotta and submit for any item for .10-50 cents back on the MO fee.

+ gas and time! lol I gave up on MOs.

currently trying to max out my Ink+ as well. im only 2/3s the way through 50k. Also putting a crapload of spendings on my BBP, 20k of 50k done in the last 3 months.

+ gas and time! lol I gave up on MOs.

currently trying to max out my Ink+ as well. im only 2/3s the way through 50k. Also putting a crapload of spendings on my BBP, 20k of 50k done in the last 3 months.

You max by reselling giftcards? The time thing I mitigate by doing a lot of stores in one trip and I also try and run household errands on my MS runs. I try and combine with couponing trips grocery shopping picking up discounted Disney giftcards etc lol.

Gas I go through one tank of gas a month and use gas rewards to fill up I spend about $20 a month on gas lol

You max by reselling giftcards? The time thing I mitigate by doing a lot of stores in one trip and I also try and run household errands on my MS runs. I try and combine with couponing trips grocery shopping picking up discounted Disney giftcards etc lol.

Gas I go through one tank of gas a month and use gas rewards to fill up I spend about $20 a month on gas lol

trying to max. lol.

I'm pretty sure I hit the spend on my IHG and my AA Citi Biz. So it's time to get the new one. Was thinking the Hilton Biz, but the possibility of the triple dip on the Aspire is too hard to pass on.

I've read about self referring can I do this? I have the SPG Biz, the Ascend personal and the Delta Gold personal.

Like @havaneselover, I'd also recommend the Amex Gold and BCE. Someone earlier on this thread pointed out that the BCP earns 4.4% on the first $6K of groceries after accounting for the AF, so I downgraded our BCP to the no AF BCE to leave the 3% option open to me, but I will likely try to max out the Amex Gold. ETA: I'm planning on getting a Schwab Amex eventually, so I look at the 4xMR the equivalent of 5 cpp if I end up cashing out thru Schwab.

Building on @speedyfishy's comment, if Staples doesn't sell your grocery store giftcards, get the MCGC/VGCs when Staples (or OD/OM) are running specials on them (no fee or money off) with the CIC for 5xUR. You'd get 7.5 cpp value applied for travel through your CSR.

I don't really have a plan for MRs - obviously we have none right now but I'm not opposed. I just picked up the CSR, CSP, and CIC within the last 6 months. Before that everything went on the Disney card. My husband mentioned first class flights yesterday and I balked at spending the points. It's possible I'm becoming a hoarder!

2019 Goals...figure out how to maximize grocery shopping. We spend a ton of money at the grocery store - probably $10k a year. I don't think I'm maximizing my return. We have a CSR, CSP, CIC, and Disney Premium. Disney gets the best return at 2% for groceries. We use Hannaford for groceries. Staples does not have gift cards for Hannaford.
I do amazon gift cards from staples with CIC then stop and shop from amazon. Result is 5x ur on groceries.

Thanks, that gives me hope! I have a super old Barclay Upromise card that we put one charge on a month.

I didn't know anyone else on here had that card lol. I really don't like the way Barclays changed how it earns...I tried but it's just too much work. I miss the 10% cash back through the Upromise portal! I keep it because it's so old and no AF but I have no love for it.

I read a few days ago that legacy SPG properties have been integrated into Marriott's reservation system: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/a55vkb/daily_discussion_thread_december_11_2018/ebkal6t/ Wondering if that means you can finally use Marriott-branded gift cards at SPG properties.

Tagging @StephPlum.
Yeah, I'm not sure integrating the reservation systems will change the payment systems too. So yeah the points stuff should all work now like it should have before, but not sure if that translates into all kinds of payments. For now I'm working under the premise they'll be separate for a while yet. But, again, I'd be happy to be wrong on this :)

Question on those who have gotten Marriott gift cards I was patient and the Springhill Suites offer showed up on DH’s SPG Lux this week. We have not redeemed the travel credit yet. If I can get a gift card there for $300 that should trigger both the credit reimbursement and the spend $200 save $40 deal as well right? And could we use that gift card to pay for any Marriott (like Residence Inn) or would it probably just be a Springhill Suite?
Yes it should trigger both. AFAIK all Marriott GCs can be used at all legacy Marriott properties, I haven't seen a, say, Springhill only GC.

Few price increases for Disney Cruise Line in case it helps anyone. I have to go adjust my budget.

Well, that was our last Palo brunch. We've done it on 3 ships so I don't feel deprived. But at that price I can hit a brunch here and not "waste" ship time. I can look at the bright side, one less ressie to obsess over and we can add another booze tasting (priorities :p)

Because you haven’t focused on MS before?? Every time I see your MS plans I’m like :scared1:

Yes, I thought the same "this was unfocused MS?!?"

I tried to search but can not find the answer. When can DD change her PNC account to a student account so she does not get charged a fee for too little of a balance? I thought someone just posted 45 days but went back to double check and can not find a post about it so maybe I made it up. And would that be from opening account? Or when she got the bonus deposited? I am hoping changing is doable.

Should be doable but you may have to talk to a branch. I didn't notice anything online for switching it to a student version.

2019 Goals...figure out how to maximize grocery shopping. We spend a ton of money at the grocery store - probably $10k a year. I don't think I'm maximizing my return. We have a CSR, CSP, CIC, and Disney Premium. Disney gets the best return at 2% for groceries. We use Hannaford for groceries. Staples does not have gift cards for Hannaford.

So while 2% is better than 1/1.5%, it's 2% Disney money unless you plan to keep the Premier and cash out for airfare. I'd consider what ecosystem you want to focus on and see about adjusting some of that. Just using it for sign up bonuses without a category spend would come out ahead. Even if you kept within UR, switching the CSP when you can to a CF/CFU and then transferring to the CSR for further transfer or travel portal redemption beats the 2% on Disney.

I'm pretty sure I hit the spend on my IHG and my AA Citi Biz. So it's time to get the new one. Was thinking the Hilton Biz, but the possibility of the triple dip on the Aspire is too hard to pass on.

I've read about self referring can I do this? I have the SPG Biz, the Ascend personal and the Delta Gold personal.

With the cobrand cards you can refer to any card in that family. So from your Ascend you could self refer to the Aspire. When you generate a refer a friend link from the ascend open it in another window and you should see a link at the top or bottom that says looking for another card? Or something like that, then you can pick the aspire.
(If you had a AmEx brand card then that link would show you both AmEx and cobrand cards.)

Edit: auto correct thought it knew best - it was wrong.

Last edited:
Goals for 2019?

Hyatt card for P2 or me, but I'd rather have it in his acct because he already has points, etc.
CSP for me, referred by P2

Then maybe some Hilton cards or a Barclay one. Really not sure.

@mmmears - Shake Shack opens in Palo Alto today. Here's your chance to use those Amex Gold dining credits!

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll check it out for Jan or Feb. I did the CCF $25 GC deal for December. It was too good to resist. For $30 we got $50 worth of CCF GCs plus 2 free pieces of cheesecake. Not bad.

Guess I better move my Sam's run to this weekend. I stopped earlier this week to get coffee creamer and to note the prices on a few things, especially block cheese. We got a food processor attachment for the kitchenaid mixer and DH has now decided he doesn't eat pre-shredded cheese :rotfl:

It sounds like you are making good use of that new mixer! I don't have any attachments although there are family members who want the ice cream bowl and paddle. ;)

Well, that was our last Palo brunch. We've done it on 3 ships so I don't feel deprived. But at that price I can hit a brunch here and not "waste" ship time. I can look at the bright side, one less ressie to obsess over and we can add another booze tasting (priorities :p)

LOL! I thought "great, now my DCL plat status is worth $40!":rotfl2:

Yes, I thought the same "this was unfocused MS?!?"

Me too!

So do you guys wait any certain amount of time after unfreezing your credit report to apply?

About the time to hit "send" on the application. Seriously, I usually just unfreeze for a day or so.

Just applied for the Arrival Plus and was denied. I may try again when I'm at 5/24, if I can wait that long without applying for another card.:crazy2:

No plans for 2019 churning. Travel plans set and paid for (PIF date for cruise is January) Originally planned SW CP and adding a few trips with that but rules change and we can’t get another SW card until end of 2019. Need to decide on travel for 202 but I’m very indecisive which is unlike me. DS wants to go to England to see his fave soccer team. I’m not sure I want to travel outside US much and I know fees for award flight to LHR are high. Could try Universal but torn between CA and FL. Decisions, decisions. Probably will go for CIC in January to bring our UR balance up since we’ve depleted it.

Any suggestions for National Parks in the Midwest (weekend drive from Chicago)? DS is a 4th grader so we have free admission until end of August.

2019 plans...
  • Disney World, Captiva, Nov TBD Orlando Trip, and one or 2 other trips (maybe a Williamsburg/Va Beach week)
  • Continue to slowly hammer Chase - looking at CIC (wife), CIP (me), CSR/CSP with a modified DD (me), CIU (me), SW Biz (wife), CIC (me)
  • Finally come to grips with the fact that Disney hotels aren't coming back and cash out $6k+ worth of URs
  • Continue to be angry at AMEX (lol)

If you don’t mind cash back and would like an easy card you could get the Discover. Category 1 is grocery stores so 5% back up to $1500. No annual fee which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter