I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are VERY seriously considering this one- might be worth a look to some here so posting the details. Capital One Spark Cash- 1k back on a 10k purchase within 3 months. With an additional 2% back for the spend- this is 12% CASH if you can make the spend. We usually stay away from cash back cards- better redemption value on points/miles- but we can't ignore this one. They also have the same 10% back for smaller spends if 10k is out of your range.

P.S. There is a rumor that Cap1 is instituting their own version of 5/24 soon- or may have already (DoC post)- but information is conflicting based on what I have read at Frequent Miler. Also note that Cap1 reports their business cards to your PERSONAL credit report, so they will count as 5/24 with Chase. We don't care about Chase anymore- have pretty much written them off for a couple of years- but we got in during the 'hay days' and worked the UR game in 2 player mode for over 2 million URs before 5/24 was implemented so we have made peace with not being able to get more URs from sign up bonuses. Lastly, Cap1 pulls reports from all 3 credit bureaus, so your credit score will take a short term hit as well. If you are a cash back person this is a good one IMHO.

This seems as good a place as any to ask this, since everyone here is very well-traveled or travel-educated!

Spirit Airlines just announced it is coming to my home airport. I am unfamiliar with them, but it sounds like from the comments on my local new's facebook post announcing the airline that it is very low cost, but can also be rife with delays and extra fees. Any thoughts from anyone here who has flown it? JetBlue currently has some direct flights to Orlando from our airport, but they are constantly changing and it seems like only maybe every second or third day actually offers the direct flight.

I have a question about American Airline credit card points. I see the current offer is 60K. Does AAAdvantage ever offer a better bonus?

I have been exclusively using Southwest points for flights for my college son to come home/get back to school because SW is so flexible. I can book months in advance without knowing his schedule and then switch flight so easily when we know his schedule.

However, AA flies out of a more convenient airport and I would like to have the option to cancel the SW flight and book AA if needed. I think my next credit card will be AA, but want to time it right if they are known to offer more points than the current 60K.

Also - from what I understand on the AA site, all domestic flights in the "saver's" category are either 7,500 or 12,500 points. Is that correct?
Thanks.

This seems as good a place as any to ask this, since everyone here is very well-traveled or travel-educated!

Spirit Airlines just announced it is coming to my home airport. I am unfamiliar with them, but it sounds like from the comments on my local new's facebook post announcing the airline that it is very low cost, but can also be rife with delays and extra fees. Any thoughts from anyone here who has flown it? JetBlue currently has some direct flights to Orlando from our airport, but they are constantly changing and it seems like only maybe every second or third day actually offers the direct flight.
I think we have the same home airport:) I was actually pricing tickets on Spirit to FLL for Easter weekend yesterday when I heard the news and they were really cheap (< $200).

I know my brother had a terrible experience with Spirit, but that was a while back. I would not expect the same level of service you get from JetBlue or Southwest. We did JetBlue non-stop to MCO is August and it was fantastic. I am still tempted though because my parents are in SW FL and I cannot get affordable (or non-stop) tickets into RSW so MCO or FLL (Tampa as well) are options. I'm also looking at Allegiant which I know is also not known for its service. My preference is to stick with JetBlue or possibly SW (if the stars align I'll go for a companion pass for 2019-2020).

The one nice thing I saw about Spirit is their weight limit for dogs in the cabin is 40 lbs. My dog is right around 20 lbs. so the 20 lb. cutoff makes me nervous. That said, her ticket would cost more than mine!

I think we have the same home airport:) I was actually pricing tickets on Spirit to FLL for Easter weekend yesterday when I heard the news and they were really cheap (< $200).

I know my brother had a terrible experience with Spirit, but that was a while back. I would not expect the same level of service you get from JetBlue or Southwest. We did JetBlue non-stop to MCO is August and it was fantastic. I am still tempted though because my parents are in SW FL and I cannot get affordable (or non-stop) tickets into RSW so MCO or FLL (Tampa as well) are options. I'm also looking at Allegiant which I know is also not known for its service. My preference is to stick with JetBlue or possibly SW (if the stars align I'll go for a companion pass for 2019-2020).

The one nice thing I saw about Spirit is their weight limit for dogs in the cabin is 40 lbs. My dog is right around 20 lbs. so the 20 lb. cutoff makes me nervous. That said, her ticket would cost more than mine!

We do have the same home airport! I recalled you being nearby and was wondering if you had checked out the fares too :) We also did JetBlue nonstop in August! We had great flights then where they were running the 8:00 AM flight down and the 5:30 return flight home. Unfortunately, I have not seen that flight lately. It seems their nonstop time now is around 11:30, which is around the same time as Spirit's from what I can see. We likely will not have another WDW vacation until 2019, so I'm checking all this out a little prematurely, but I guess it'll come down to baggage with Spirit since they charge you even for the carry-on. I have been happy with JetBlue and Southwest, but wish Southwest would still run that direct flight. I know a lot of people don't like Southwest, but I've never had a bad experience with them.

Ok, question on AUs. I don't think I should get AU cards for DH and I on each other's cards, right? But we could really both use access for trying to meet spends. Could i get an AU card(s) in our middle names or something. Don't want them to count towards our 5/24. Situation at post office this am, where DH has the CIP that needs the spend but he has the card. Got me thinking....

Ok, question on AUs. I don't think I should get AU cards for DH and I on each other's cards, right? But we could really both use access for trying to meet spends. Could i get an AU card(s) in our middle names or something. Don't want them to count towards our 5/24. Situation at post office this am, where DH has the CIP that needs the spend but he has the card. Got me thinking....

Since CIP is a business card that doesn't count against 5/24, adding yourself as an AUer to that card would be ok.

For your new CSR and CSP, you do not want to add dh. CSR is going to cost $75 to add an AUer so I'd forgo that one anyways. with your CSP, add one of your kids for the extra 5k points and give your dh that card to use if you need help meeting the spend.

FYI for @calypso726 and everyone else in the Miami area, the Museum of Ice Cream is coming to Miami in December with preview tickets available today, 11/14 at 11 am ET; Amex Platinum presale on 11/15 at 11 am ET; all Amex cardholders presale on 11/16 at 11 am ET; and general public presale on 11/17 at 11 am ET. https://www.museumoficecream.com/miami/

As some of you may remember, I got in on the Amex Platinum presale when MoIC announced they were coming to San Francisco and took my family back in September. We all loved it! If you love ice cream, brightly colored, sprinkled and whimsical art installations, have kids or just like feeling like a kid again, taking and sharing pics of it all on social media, this is a really fun event to do on the weekend. Tickets are a bit pricey at $38, and the experience can feel a little rushed at times, but this is one of those Instagram phenomenons going absolutely viral right now and you’ll probably end up hearing about it from someone you know and wondering if you should have gone too.

Tickets go FAST! I think the Amex Platinum presale sold out in about an hour, maybe with a few less desirable days and times still available, and the general presale went even faster. If you’re interested, you need to be at a computer and on the MoIC ticket site right before 11 am ET, be ready with your Platinum or other Amex card (you’ll need the phone number from the back of the card), and just keep refreshing until available dates populate the calendar, then pick your time and book it fast! Good luck and have fun!
what exactly is this? a a plce to eat ice cream,or see ice cream themed art? And is the presale for MR amex cards only,or other types of amex cards?

Question for anyone who may have gotten the google express offer for use with the AMEX card, where they will give you a $20 credit when you spend at least $50. Just wondering if this would apply to gift cards. Shopping is allowed through many stores like Target, Walmart, Walgreens so many to choose from...
IDK, but I got another referral code to stack from a deals blogger that adds another $10 off so it's $30 off (I spent like 58.00 on needed costco items and got $30 off)

Since CIP is a business card that doesn't count against 5/24, adding yourself as an AUer to that card would be ok.

For your new CSR and CSP, you do not want to add dh. CSR is going to cost $75 to add an AUer so I'd forgo that one anyways. with your CSP, add one of your kids for the extra 5k points and give your dh that card to use if you need help meeting the spend.

Ok, just to clarify...and maybe I'm over thinking this.

It's fine for me to get an AU on DH's business CIP when I already have one for my business?

Oh and yep, I was thinking of getting the AU for DH on my CSP (not reserve). Do you give a social or something to get an AU. DH and DS have the same first name, but different middle names...just didn't want to mess something up.

It's fine for me to get an AU on DH's business CIP when I already have one for my business?

In this game, the rule of thumb is to NEVER become an AU on your spouse's cards. Some companies count it against the AU as an extra card- some don't, so IMHO do not do it.

Ok, just to clarify...and maybe I'm over thinking this.

Oh and yep, I was thinking of getting the AU for DH on my CSP (not reserve). Do you give a social or something to get an AU. DH and DS have the same first name, but different middle names...just didn't want to mess something up.

You are fine to have the card yourself and be an AUer on his card.

For the CSP, they won't ask for a social. You want it to be in your son's name so maybe first initial full middle last.

In this game, the rule of thumb is to NEVER become an AU on your spouse's cards. Some companies count it against the AU as an extra card- some don't, so IMHO do not do it.

I understand this for personal cards but have you seen DPs against this for the CIP? When the card doesn't count against you for 5/24, why would it count against an AUer? We've not done it but I've read DPs that it's ok with chase business cards. Just trying to understand..

I have a question about American Airline credit card points. I see the current offer is 60K. Does AAAdvantage ever offer a better bonus?
I have been exclusively using Southwest points for flights for my college son to come home/get back to school because SW is so flexible. I can book months in advance without knowing his schedule and then switch flight so easily when we know his schedule.
However, AA flies out of a more convenient airport and I would like to have the option to cancel the SW flight and book AA if needed. I think my next credit card will be AA, but want to time it right if they are known to offer more points than the current 60K.
Also - from what I understand on the AA site, all domestic flights in the "saver's" category are either 7,500 or 12,500 points. Is that correct?
Thanks.
I have also been looking at accumulating some more AA miles for some future international flights. Many here have said they are not always the best value but the flights work well for me.
Here is a link to their awards chart - aadvantage-program flight-award-chart
Here is a chart to check for current and recent offers - Current & Recent Credit Card Signup Bonuses

I am planning to get Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red before their current offer expires on 11/30. It is for 60,000 after first purchase for $95 AF (see the this Doc of Credit link about a possible extra 500 miles). Then possibly follow it up with a Citi card for another 60,000.

what exactly is this? a a plce to eat ice cream,or see ice cream themed art? And is the presale for MR amex cards only,or other types of amex cards?

Museum of Ice Cream is a pop up experience with ice cream-themed art installations and a few ice cream samples from local ice creameries. Do not go expecting to fill up on free ice cream! MoIC takes up an entire building and installs rooms and rooms of differently themed ice cream and candy inspired artwork (think bubble gum, soda shop, cotton candy, pop rocks, rainbows, sprinkles, swings). It's really all meant to be a perfect setting to take Instagram shareworthy pics, but I have to admit it was really fun sitting on a rainbow unicorn and swimming in a sprinkle pool with my kiddo.

Today is the Amex Platinum presale. Tomorrow is the presale for all Amex card members.

I understand this for personal cards but have you seen DPs against this for the CIP? When the card doesn't count against you for 5/24, why would it count against an AUer? We've not done it but I've read DPs that it's ok with chase business cards. Just trying to understand..

It is SOP in this game to not do AUs with your spouse. There is no advantage to it since both have the card. What happens if Chase does what Capital One does and starts reporting business cards on the personal side toward 5/24? Then those that are an AU on a spouses card will suddenly have another card against them (with some companies) even if it is dropped off after the fact. This game changes quickly- and for us there is too much downside. Too many people that travel hack believe the game is static and what is 'truth' or 'fact' today will be that way tomorrow as well. This rarely is the case- and the game is going to continue to tighten. We have never done AUs, and never will. That said, everyone plays differently. I just have a 'many year- big picture' outlook and short term rewards aren't worth a potential downside later. Most of the more experienced folks here are good at looking at all angles- this 'hypothetical' is just another angle that could realistically happen.

Last edited:

Thanks.

I think that 60K is a pretty good bonus. Not the highest bonus ever but better than their 40K, 50K offers that are more prevalent. And if a higher bonus comes along within a certain time period (I don't recall exactly, sometime between 30-90 days? you'd have to google that) you can always see if they'll match the offer. I got DH an AAdvantage card with a 60K bonus, but they matched to a 75K offer (which is kind of funny because it wasn't even the same credit card, but whatever, I'll take it.)

The biggest complaint I see about AAdvantage is the lack of availability of SAAver fares, whereas Southwest has wide open availability. So just because they tout a one-way fare of 7,500 or 12,500 points doesn't mean you're ever going to find one. I would poke around American's website (there's a box to click for "Redeem Miles" when searching flights) to see what is available and how many miles it would take. American is definitely nowhere as flexible as Southwest, but at least there's no change fee for dates as long as origin/destination remain the same within 12 months from original booking. If, however, you cancel the award ticket and want the miles back, it will cost you $150 unless you have some elite status with them.

ETA: It's really easy to earn Southwest RR points through Chase's UR program as long as you have a card that allows transfers to partners (CSR, CSP, and I think one of the Inks). Obviously you can earn an AA mile with each $1 spent on the AA card but that is much less flexible than a UR pt.

Last edited:

I flew Denver to Phoenix last Spring on Spirit. They had the best prices so I could come in and leave in the middle of the day as I was visiting my grandpa and wanted to stay out of rush hour traffic. I had a 30ish minute delay going home, but that was the only issue. If I remember right they said the incoming flight had a slight weather delay. I think I flew Spirit another time with no issues, but can't be certain. To me they were similar to Frontier but with better seats :) I typically fly SW because they usually end up being the best deal for what I'm looking for, and I've never really had a bad experience with them. I've done a few Frontier flights in the last few years because of price, but last January with them I was pretty frustrated. They cancelled our flight a month out and put us on one that left in the morning, when we originally had an evening flight - sort of defeated the purpose of the extra day! We ended up switching to the next morning and just leaving Disney really early. The seats where terrible IMO - like a think layer over the metal frame, and the tray tables were barely bigger than my smartphone. It was okay from Denver to Vegas, but MCO to Denver with a stop in Atlanta, after getting up at 2am for DME? Never again!

DD and I took a quick weekend trip last December. We flew Spirit from BWI to MCO to take advantage of a $39 each way fare. We paid another $40 to check 1 bag. It was not as comfy or quiet as Southwest but it was ontime and completely worth what we paid!

Thanks for the feedback! If they continue to run nonstop flights to MCO then I am definitely going to consider them for our next trip. I figure there's only but so many ways you can mess up a direct flight, and I've been stranded in ATL for a connection more times than I can count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter