I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the same. I'll probably do $300 on CSR and CSP, but save the rest of what I need to spend to max out my CF bonus for TRU Gift of College.

Also, just confirming with a regular BB rewards account, this is a 16% (15% when transferred to CSR and redeemed in UR portal + 1% in BB rewards).

Can you explain the BB Rewards program a bit? Until recently, I hardly ever shopped there.

Edit: Never mind, I was being lazy. I thought there was some complicated math with the 16% total, but now I see what you were saying. A straight 1% back from BB, and an additional 5% if redeeming the points through the CSR portal. (Which is exactly what you wrote. :crazy2:)

Last edited:
...It was and wasn't targeted I guess lol. Saw it through DOC back around Thanksgiving (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/capital-one-spark-cash-visa-business-card-1000-public-sign-bonus/) and he had mentioned it was likely to be short lived (and he was right, tried to apply for DH around the end of Dec and offer was dead), so I pulled the trigger. However, I also got a mailer around the same time and tried to have DH use it, but wasn't transferable :sad:...
Our biz keeps getting targeted for the offer- under a fake name a fam member used as a joke once to see how much spam they'd get... Cap1 won't give me a CC but they really want to give one to a non-existent person!

Can you explain the BB Rewards program a bit? Until recently, I hardly ever shopped there.

Edit: Never mind, I was being lazy. I thought there was some complicated math with the 16% total, but now I see what you were saying. A straight 1% back from BB, and an additional 5% if redeeming the points through the CSR portal. (Which is exactly what you wrote. :crazy2:)
Yes, sorry. What I write always makes sense to me but isn't always clear to others:)

@amalone1013 @speedyfishy @SBWB48 @wendow, here are my comments about hotels near DLR from last July:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-280

Since then I have stayed at the Tropicana again (last Oct) and they have renovated their rooms. They are super cute now with a cheery tropical theme. I have never had a bad stay there and they are right across the street from the main entrance on Harbor Blvd. I have seen them recently on the UR portal and I think they might have connecting rooms. Yes, the security lines can be horrible on that side. A good solution might be to Uber over to the security gate for Downtown Disney, which is always wide-open!

If anyone is looking for a very reasonably-priced place then I'd recommend BW Stovall's. I mentioned them in my July review above. I have seen them listed for 8,000 to 10,000 UR points, so that's pretty good. I believe they have larger rooms for families. The pool looks nice and they have a free breakfast. It's located on the corner of Katella and Disneyland Dr., so to get to the parks you would walk up Disneyland Dr., past Paradise Pier Hotel and enter through the bag check in front of the Disneyland Hotel. It's about a 10min walk over there and that bag check never seems to be as crazy as the one on the Harbor side. Coming back from the parks you can cut through the Grand Californian then back out to Disneyland Dr.

For large families, I know that Camelot has a family room that has one room with two queen beds that opens to a living area with a King bed and a fold out couch. I think that the Castle Inn has a similar configuration.

I liked Hyatt House and would probably stay there again since the points are so reasonable and the free breakfast was nice. I transferred UR points to Hyatt to book. I did not pay any additional taxes or fees when I got to the hotel, so it's a pretty good deal! It's a longer walk, but not horrible. Up the street a bit is Hyatt Place. It's across from the Toy Story parking lot so it would be possible to walk into the parking lot and take the shuttle to the Harbor entrance. Even further down Harbor is the Hyatt, which is a big, full-service hotel. You would need to take the ART shuttle or Uber to the parks.

Happy planning, everyone!

@amalone1013 @speedyfishy @SBWB48 @wendow, here are my comments about hotels near DLR from last July:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-280

Since then I have stayed at the Tropicana again (last Oct) and they have renovated their rooms. They are super cute now with a cheery tropical theme. I have never had a bad stay there and they are right across the street from the main entrance on Harbor Blvd. I have seen them recently on the UR portal and I think they might have connecting rooms. Yes, the security lines can be horrible on that side. A good solution might be to Uber over to the security gate for Downtown Disney, which is always wide-open!

If anyone is looking for a very reasonably-priced place then I'd recommend BW Stovall's. I mentioned them in my July review above. I have seen them listed for 8,000 to 10,000 UR points, so that's pretty good. I believe they have larger rooms for families. The pool looks nice and they have a free breakfast. It's located on the corner of Katella and Disneyland Dr., so to get to the parks you would walk up Disneyland Dr., past Paradise Pier Hotel and enter through the bag check in front of the Disneyland Hotel. It's about a 10min walk over there and that bag check never seems to be as crazy as the one on the Harbor side. Coming back from the parks you can cut through the Grand Californian then back out to Disneyland Dr.

For large families, I know that Camelot has a family room that has one room with two queen beds that opens to a living area with a King bed and a fold out couch. I think that the Castle Inn has a similar configuration.

I liked Hyatt House and would probably stay there again since the points are so reasonable and the free breakfast was nice. I transferred UR points to Hyatt to book. I did not pay any additional taxes or fees when I got to the hotel, so it's a pretty good deal! It's a longer walk, but not horrible. Up the street a bit is Hyatt Place. It's across from the Toy Story parking lot so it would be possible to walk into the parking lot and take the shuttle to the Harbor entrance. Even further down Harbor is the Hyatt, which is a big, full-service hotel. You would need to take the ART shuttle or Uber to the parks.

Happy planning, everyone!
We stayed at Camelot Inn back in 2015 in one of those large rooms. We had 5 adults and 2 children in the room and it worked fine - nothing spectacular but that's ok. Great/Close location to the parks. Our only criticism was that it only had 1 bathroom which presented some challenges.

I'm looking at the Hyatt House on the corner of Katella and Harbor. I never even thought to look into a Hyatt until someone mentioned it the other day!

The 3 Hyatts within what looks like pretty close proximity to each other has me :faint: lol. But if we can snag it for 12k pts (especially when the cash price is $337 a night for our dates), you just may have made my life that much easier :cool1:

I've never stayed there before, but it's a pretty good location. It's right above a Walgreen's so you can get supplies at not too inflated prices. Across the street is the Marriott Springhill Suites with a CVS on the ground floor. Both are newer hotels built within the last 5 years or so. Both are very walkable (<~10 minutes) to Disneyland's eastern gate; once you get to bag check though... that's another story.

I’ve seen the Alpine Inn; never stayed there. We stay at the Hilton Anaheim a lot and take the side service street that runs perpendicular to Katella and facing the Alpine Inn on our walks to the park. It seems like such a holdover from another time (not saying that’s a bad thing; we love the Candy cane Inn), especially with all the new convention hotels popping up all around it.

How do you like the Hilton Anaheim? You are the resident CA/DLR expert, so I HAVE to ask :duck:. Though, re-reading the prior discussion from a couple months ago as well. That's on our radar too because DH seems to always lean towards Hiltons...think I have points that I could use, or just get the new Ascend hah.

Our biz keeps getting targeted for the offer- under a fake name a fam member used as a joke once to see how much spam they'd get... Cap1 won't give me a CC but they really want to give one to a non-existent person!

They really are sticklers when it comes to mailers...almost makes no sense in your case :rotfl2:

Last edited:
...How do you like the Hilton Anaheim? You are the resident CA/DLR expert, so I HAVE to ask :duck:. Though, re-reading the prior discussion from a couple months ago as well. That's on our radar too because DH seems to always lean towards Hiltons...think I have points that I could use, or just get the new Ascend hah...
Not to step on @Lain 's toes but we stayed there for one night before transferring onsite. Imho...
Pros: amazing price between black friday and UR points and I feel we definitely got our money's worth, in fact we are looking at booking it again because it's one of the cheapest options I can find under "decent hotels" basically. Very pretty bar/lounge area when you walk in, if I stayed there for a few nights I'd totally chill there for a break from the room. Hilton members check-in had no line that evening, and there were a few groups of people standing in line to check in at the main desk. I was so unsure about it I asked is it for any Hilton member (no status) and they said yep! At least 20 mins saved there!
Cons: it's huge. The hotel is massive. We felt like mice going through a maze trying to find our room. The beds were lousy, heater smelled weird. Parking $$ (but many hotels have that downside).
-Didn't get a chance to visit pool, had intended to as I love relaxing in a hot tub but it was too late by the time we arrived (LA traffic, ugh!)

Conclusion: would stay again for one night, not for multiple nights. As a matter of fact I'm a day or two away from probably booking this hotel for 1 night before moving onsite again for our Food & Wine trip in Mar. Actually, hotels seem to be booking up for that day so maybe I'd better go do that now! Reason not for multiple nights: too much walking inside the hotel (it's just too darn big after being in DL all day!) and miserable beds.

I saw the same. I'll probably do $300 on CSR and CSP, but save the rest of what I need to spend to max out my CF bonus for TRU Gift of College.

Also, just confirming with a regular BB rewards account, this is a 16% (15% when transferred to CSR and redeemed in UR portal + 1% in BB rewards).
Thank you- how do I buy instore while getting the reward to count toward the purchase?

For the Freedom, there's no advantage to first maximizing the first quarter bonus and then doing the Best Buy deal, correct?

As @peel said, New advantage. Anything over maxing out the Freedom 5x will be 6x.

Thank you- how do I buy instore while getting the reward to count toward the purchase?

I pull up the app on my phone and select the correct card and they scan the QR code.

How do you like the Hilton Anaheim? You are the resident CA/DLR expert, so I HAVE to ask :duck:. Though, re-reading the prior discussion from a couple months ago as well. That's on our radar too because DH seems to always lean towards Hiltons...think I have points that I could use, or just get the new Ascend hah.

I wouldn't call myself a DLR expert, but I also don't mind sharing my thoughts, good and bad.

We actually really like the Hilton Anaheim! It's a convention hotel, right next to the Anaheim Convention Center, so the decor is very contemporary with no Disney theming despite being so close to Disneyland.

The rooms are always clean. We love the beds and pillows; super comfortable. But the carpeting and upholstery in some rooms and common areas look like they could use a refresh. We've stayed in some rooms where the floor felt a little uneven. The rooms have floor to ceiling windows! Since we're Hilton Gold members, we always get upgraded to a high floor and occasionally we'll get a Disneyland view. If you get a Disneyland view, you're looking at DCA in the foreground, with the back of Radiator Springs and (the now retired) Paradise Pier closest to you. You'll get a view of Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout to the right and should be able to see the Matterhorn and Sleeping Beauty Castle. And catch the fireworks from your room! However, the park does look like it's far away and you'd probably need a telephoto lens to get a good shot from this distance. (We've also gotten views of the pool and the next door Marriott.)

Hilton Gold members also get a complimentary breakfast, but we always decline at check-in and are offered HH points because we'd rather open up Disneyland and eat in the parks or in DTD. There's a full service Starbucks in the lobby, which is really popular and gets backed up as the morning progresses. However, there's a special line for Hilton Gold and Diamond members. I believe the Starbucks in the lobby is a franchise location owned by Hilton, so you can use Starbucks gift cards, the Starbucks app to earn stars, but you can't redeem stars for food or drinks, or order ahead on the app. I always wake up really early, get down there around 6-6:30 a.m., and there's no line; I'll grab coffee for my wife and me and get ready to head out to make rope drop.

The pool area is fairly decent. There's a large rectangular pool, hot tub, and a splash area for kids. DD4 really enjoys the splash area, but if you're looking for pool time for the kids, then the Howard Johnson Anaheim, the Courtyard Marriott, and the Disneyland Hotel all have more awesome pool amenities.

The Hilton is HUGE! I believe it's the biggest hotel in all of OC. We've been put in rooms that were like a 5 minute walk to the elevators. Never again, so we always request in our reservation notes a room near, but not next to the elevators. If you stay there during a convention, some kind of tournament, or holiday weekend, the elevators do get packed and there can be a wait.

We find the Hilton almost always has a better price, in cash or points, than the nearby Marriott or Sheraton, which have similar amenities. We don't think the Hilton Anaheim is necessarily the best use of HH points, though, as standard rooms go for something like 30k HH points/night. However, Amex often has an Amex Offer for Hilton that gives a statement credit off room charges of $250, $300, or whatever other minimum amount. If you have the Amex Offer on several cards, ask the front desk to do a split tender and try to maximize the credits. Hilton points may be wildly inflated, but they're also easy to earn with a cash stay and all the promotions going on at any given time. I think we usually sign up for 2 or 3 different promotions that earn bonus HH points for every stay. Self parking is $16/night. There are pretty hefty resort fees and taxes. That's pretty typical of the chain hotels.

My wife and I have been going to Disneyland pretty regularly since 2009 and stayed at the Hilton a lot. During that time, we've racked our brains and tried various ways to shorten our trip from the hotel to the parks and back again. I think the fastest way is just to walk it. Like I mentioned before, there's a side service street along the front of the hotel garage that connects to Katella, make a right on Katella, then cross the street at Harbor, all the way to DLR's eastern gateway. This takes about 10 minutes, and maybe another 10 minutes at bag check. Harbor in the morning is a nice walk along tree-lined streets. At night, it can get a little sketchier with people hawking wares, begging for change, or passed out drunk at bus stops. We've never felt like we were in any danger. We've also tried taking our car and parking at Mickey & Friends since we have Signature APs with included parking, but it's about 5 minutes to the car and out the garage, another 5 minutes or more to the theme park parking lot, then you have to find parking, then down the escalator to the bag check, another 5-10 minutes, then a 5-10 minute wait for the tram to take you to DTD. This all could easily take up to 30 minutes or more. Another alternative is to walk across the street on Harbor into the Toy Story parking lot, which takes about 5 minutes, line up and take a shuttle bus to the bus drop-off at the eastern gateway near bag check. But the walking and waiting for shuttles adds up, and I don't think you're saving much time if any over just walking to DLR.

Last edited:
As @peel said, New advantage. Anything over maxing out the Freedom 5x will be 6x.

I pull up the app on my phone and select the correct card and they scan the QR code.
do you mean you link the cc you're using (thru chasepay) with the app?

theres an app on the apple/android store called ChasePay. This is the app you need to pay for things. Once you download the app, you will login with your chase credentials. THere is a button where it lets you select which card you want to use to pay. Once thats loaded up, take what you want to buy at best buys. When they are done scanning, open the Chase Pay App, you will see on the bottom there is a Pay button. click that. your screen will go super bright and there will be a QR code. Let the cashier scan that code. After that, it should complete the transaction and you walk out with your items.

As for ppl mentioning Disneyland, i know Disneyland pretty well, but im not familiar with the hotels. I worked at Disneyland for 5 years. :]

Download the Chase Pay app. Log in with your Chase account login/password. All the credit cards in your name (not AUs) under that account will be available to select and pay. Select the card you want to use, click Pay, and the app will generate a QR code for the cashier to scan.

I need about $600 more in Disney gift cards, and I just can't decide: 4% off at Sams's Club or BJ's plus 10% cash back from 1st year DiscoverIt (from the comfort of my sofa) or drive to Best Buy for 10x UR points.

I think the sofa may win out.

So, I am not super new to credit cards and points but we’ve kept things pretty simple so far. We have a 4,000 orthodontist bill coming up and we want to do a few trips soon, so it is time for a new card.

I am having new card paralysis, though. Too many options, I just don’t know what to do!

I am typing it all out, mostly for my benefit but if anyone wants to give their opinion, I would love to hear it!

Here is what we had/have:

Disney Visa (1/15 or so)
Was an authorized user on DH’s CSP (rookie mistake)(1/16)
CSP (2/16) closed before annual fee hit, probably should have downgraded to Freedom
Barclay Arrival Plus (3/17) plan to close before one year
Southwest Plus (6/17)
Southwest Premier (6/17) Companion pass until the end of this year!

DH has:

CSP (1/16) He wants to cancel ASAP before we pay the annual fee again
Freedom (5/16 ish, don’t have the exact date tracked but shortly after CSP)
Arrival Plus (4/17)
Southwest Plus (9/17)
Southwest Premier (9/17) If all posts well, he will have companion pass until the end of next year

We have four kids and we use points to get as much as we can for as little as we can. So, cheap decent hotels and cheap flights are our thing. We have flights pretty well covered with the Southwest cards, so we really need hotel rooms to go with them. We also drive a lot and aren’t afraid of a roadtrip, so hotels are really our focus.

Our specific trips coming up are:

Long weekend for the boys in Chicago

A Universal Studio Trip for my Harry Potter freak daughter’s birthday. Definitely two of us will go, would love to make this a family trip if we could figure out how to get an amazing deal on tickets. Like the idea of onsite hotel via UR but would need a lot more of them, we’ve run very low.

Hawaii for me and DH at the end of 2019. Fingers crossed we can get a SW flight there.

We just did a big WDW trip but I am not against another one of those in the near future if we can swing it.

So, we usually do domestic trips that are kid friendly, nothing fancy. DH and I have done an occasional international trip but not often.

I am super familiar with Chase cards, like having Ultimate Rewards and being able to transfer them (especially to Hyatt, we get great value that way).

So, we are both close to dropping down to 4/24. My instinct is to go with a new Chase card. We considered the CSR at the beginning and really regret not getting it then with the high bonus and double dipping on credits. I just don’t know if it is worth it now. Especially since we’re anticipating some large expenses soon (see orthodontist bill above plus oral surgies! Ugh!) and that $450 would hurt a bit right now.

Considering other Chase cards (I could get another CSP after this month, I think? It is 24 months after approval or when they were awarded?) I’m a little bummed by the fact that there are no extra high bonuses right now.

Not being able to transfer UR once we cancel the CSP stinks, so it would be good to replace it with something else that would allow us to do that. We just can’t justify keeping the CSP again this year.

We are also considering the Hyatt card with bonus and statement credit. We would both really love and use those points (rooms are big enough for our big family!) but I don’t know if it is worth eating up a spot before we get another Chase card.

And now the new AMEX Hilton card is on my radar. I don’t know anything about Hilton points or what they are good for. Best for hoteI stays presumably? have always wanted one for those AMEX offers that I always miss out on, though. And 100,000 seems like a lot but I know it isn’t equal to an UR. Definitely need to research this more. Also, there were some murmurings about AMEX cards and Hawaii, would love to hear more about this.

@babyready You are eligible for the Chase card bonuses again 24 mos AFTER the bonus posted. So, you'd want to figure that out to see when you could get another CSP. Can you go ahead and PC the remaining CSP you have? Maybe to a FU?

For your next card, what about the CIP? I don't see that in your current cards. You need some kind of 'small business' but pretty much anything counts :) Selling locally, online, rental income, etc. I have 4 kids also and I am guessing you are like me in that I am always throwing some outgrown baby or kid item on CL or ebay. That qualifies as a business! The CIP has 80k UR bonus with 5k spend in 90 days. Seems like with that ortho bill, you could easily meet that.

The CIP would not count against your 5/24. You need to be under 5/24 to get it so you need to wait until you drop down. But then you'd still be 4/24 after and you could consider double dipping that last spot with another CSP and something else. The Hyatt is not under 5/24 so unless you need that card now, I'd wait until you are over 5/24 to go for it. You and your dh could each get CIP's and that could keep you busy for awhile!

So, I am not super new to credit cards and points but we’ve kept things pretty simple so far. We have a 4,000 orthodontist bill coming up and we want to do a few trips soon, so it is time for a new card.

I am having new card paralysis, though. Too many options, I just don’t know what to do!

I am typing it all out, mostly for my benefit but if anyone wants to give their opinion, I would love to hear it!

Here is what we had/have:

Disney Visa (1/15 or so)
Was an authorized user on DH’s CSP (rookie mistake)(1/16)
CSP (2/16) closed before annual fee hit, probably should have downgraded to Freedom
Barclay Arrival Plus (3/17) plan to close before one year
Southwest Plus (6/17)
Southwest Premier (6/17) Companion pass until the end of this year!

DH has:

CSP (1/16) He wants to cancel ASAP before we pay the annual fee again
Freedom (5/16 ish, don’t have the exact date tracked but shortly after CSP)
Arrival Plus (4/17)
Southwest Plus (9/17)
Southwest Premier (9/17) If all posts well, he will have companion pass until the end of next year

We have four kids and we use points to get as much as we can for as little as we can. So, cheap decent hotels and cheap flights are our thing. We have flights pretty well covered with the Southwest cards, so we really need hotel rooms to go with them. We also drive a lot and aren’t afraid of a roadtrip, so hotels are really our focus.

Our specific trips coming up are:

Long weekend for the boys in Chicago

A Universal Studio Trip for my Harry Potter freak daughter’s birthday. Definitely two of us will go, would love to make this a family trip if we could figure out how to get an amazing deal on tickets. Like the idea of onsite hotel via UR but would need a lot more of them, we’ve run very low.

Hawaii for me and DH at the end of 2019. Fingers crossed we can get a SW flight there.

We just did a big WDW trip but I am not against another one of those in the near future if we can swing it.

So, we usually do domestic trips that are kid friendly, nothing fancy. DH and I have done an occasional international trip but not often.

I am super familiar with Chase cards, like having Ultimate Rewards and being able to transfer them (especially to Hyatt, we get great value that way).

So, we are both close to dropping down to 4/24. My instinct is to go with a new Chase card. We considered the CSR at the beginning and really regret not getting it then with the high bonus and double dipping on credits. I just don’t know if it is worth it now. Especially since we’re anticipating some large expenses soon (see orthodontist bill above plus oral surgies! Ugh!) and that $450 would hurt a bit right now.

Considering other Chase cards (I could get another CSP after this month, I think? It is 24 months after approval or when they were awarded?) I’m a little bummed by the fact that there are no extra high bonuses right now.

Not being able to transfer UR once we cancel the CSP stinks, so it would be good to replace it with something else that would allow us to do that. We just can’t justify keeping the CSP again this year.

We are also considering the Hyatt card with bonus and statement credit. We would both really love and use those points (rooms are big enough for our big family!) but I don’t know if it is worth eating up a spot before we get another Chase card.

And now the new AMEX Hilton card is on my radar. I don’t know anything about Hilton points or what they are good for. Best for hoteI stays presumably? have always wanted one for those AMEX offers that I always miss out on, though. And 100,000 seems like a lot but I know it isn’t equal to an UR. Definitely need to research this more. Also, there were some murmurings about AMEX cards and Hawaii, would love to hear more about this.
Lots of great info here. Have you considered the CIP (Chase ink Preferred). With both of you about to go to 4/24 you could pickup a couple of those back to back and earn a quick 170k in URs. Plus it doesn't count and now you're still at 4/24.

Also I'd really look into Hilton before you jump on that bandwagon. There are some decent values out there but also a lot of REALLY bad redemptions. We recently used Hilton points at the Doubletree near Universal - 25k a night and walkable to the parks. That was a great deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter