I won't give in till I reach the end... and then I'll start again (comments welcome)

40 for Dopey

Only 2 weeks and 1 mega-long run to go... And that might end up being no mega-long run cause I am about done 😂

Weekly Summary:
  • Running = 8:03 - 62.97 km/39.14 miles o_O
  • Walking = 0:30
  • Strength Training (Lifting & Yoga) = 1:28
I am just so frickin proud of myself. I did not only my longest training run ever today, but the most running I've ever done in a single week. I can tell that it's a lot because both of my weekend runs were hard, especially at the beginning. I definitely felt like I was running on tired legs.

The weather has continued to cooperate. No important snowfall is planned from now until after Christmas. It's crappy cause we'll end up with a green Christmas, but selfishly it's great for my Dopey training.

Monday
  • 39 minutes of strength training at DD's cheer gym. Lunges, back rows, SLDL, dead bugs, planks and deltoid lifts
Tuesday
  • Planned: 60-80 minute Easy Run
    • Completed: 9.43 km ~ 1:14:14 (7:52 min/km)
    • Avg HR 147 bpm
    • Can't remember anything about this run
  • Did a short 10-minute glute workout after, 2x banded dead bugs and 2x banded clamshells

Wednesday
  • Planned: Off, Cross-Train or 30 minute Easy Run
    • Completed: 4.04 km ~ 30:00 (7:25 min/km)
    • Avg HR 131 bpm <-- huh? Feels off.
  • I had my 2nd office Christmas dinner in the evening with my other team. We went out for dinner early and I was in bed by 10pm. Perfect 👍
Thursday
  • Did some strength training in the morning. More clamshells and single leg sit to squats, amongst others.
  • Planned: 10-20 minute Warm-Up + Tempo Run: 20-30 minutes + 10-20 minute Cool-down
    • Completed: 10 km ~ 1:10:04 (7:00 min/km)
    • Decided to run from the office to my house. So I now know the office is a smidge over 6 miles from my house.
    • I felt great throughout. I didn't struggle to hit the tempo pace and I ran the whole 70 minutes. I can tell I'm in good shape ahead of my marathon.
Friday
  • 25 minutes of strength training after work, including plank drag throughs and RDLs. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate planks and ab work in general?
    • Completed: 2.49 km ~ 30:35 (12:17 min/km)
    • I spent 30 minutes walking on the treadmill while we watched Survivor.
Saturday
  • Planned: 80-90 minute Long Run
    • Completed: 11.39 km ~ 1:30:00 (7:53 min/km)
    • Avg HR 148 bpm
    • Sun was shining, which is a rarity these days
    • The first 45 minutes, I felt super sluggish and tired. I'm surprised my avg HR isn't higher than that.
Sunday
  • Planned: 18 mile (29 km) Long Run
    • Completed: 28.12 km / 17.47 mi ~ 3:39:18 (7:47 min/km)
    • Avg HR 148 bpm
    • I told myself I was going to cap this run at 3h30, but my pride convinced me to get to 28k. It's the 2/3 mark of a full marathon isn't it?
    • I did the first 40 minutes by myself, then about 70 minutes with my running group and again by myself.
    • By the Half Marathon mark, my legs were hurting. I'm a bit nervous how it's going to go when I've already run 35+ miles at that point in the marathon.

It is time...

In my mind, my Dopey training is done. I've done all I could, considering my life constraints. All that's left now is taper, mixed with the Christmas holidays, which means I'll do the absolute minimum from now until Dec 31st.

If you consider my plan officially started on 9/18, I've run a total of 548 kilometers, or 341 miles. I don't know if I should laugh or cry at that number. I've never run so much in my life, ever. I feel in the best shape I've ever felt, but also incredibly guilty of all that time I've spent not taking care of my family. I couldn't have done this without DH.

I have 1 long run left, a 14-mile Fast Finish Long Run on Christmas Eve, which at my pace is about 2h45. I'm so over long runs though, especially mentally. I'll see how I feel on the 24th. I might go out but cap it at ~2 hours.

Happy running friends and for those coming to Marathon Weekend, see you soon!!

You’ve done so well with training! One thing that has always stuck with me when I feel like I’m letting my family down or not doing the things I need to in order to best serve them is the saying that airline crew tell you: put the oxygen mask on yourself before you put one on anyone else. You have to take care of yourself and your well-being in order to take care of your family. And while it may be hard to see it in real time, you’re giving your kids great life lessons about how to show up for yourself and that with determination you can accomplish just about anything you put your mind to. It’s so hard to feel that in the moment though.

I am just so frickin proud of myself. I did not only my longest training run ever today, but the most running I've ever done in a single week. I can tell that it's a lot because both of my weekend runs were hard, especially at the beginning. I definitely felt like I was running on tired legs.
You're doing awesome!

40 for Dopey

7 days until we leave!

Weekly Summary:
  • Running = 6:25 - 50.73 km/31.53 miles
  • Strength Training (Lifting & Yoga) = 2:09
The hay is in the barn. I've done all I can at this point to complete the Dopey challenge.

I also said goodbye this week to early morning runs. I'm coming to Princess Weekend, so we'll see how I manage to train for that, but my mind and my body need a break from 4:30 wakeup calls.

Monday
  • Took a complete day off after the day's before longest long run
Tuesday
  • Planned: 50-60 minute Easy Run
    • Completed: 7.15 km ~ 57:07 (7:59 min/km)
    • Avg HR 138 bpm
    • I still felt pretty tired from my long run, so I did 30:30 intervals for most of the run.
  • Went to my 1-hour recovery yoga class at lunch. We did pigeon and lizard poses amongst other things, which are great for me.
We had a group Christmas breakfast the next morning so I spent all evening baking doughnuts and cinnamon buns for my team.

Wednesday
    • Completed: 3.67 km ~ 30:03 (8:11 min/km)
    • Ran this on the treadmill while the cinnamon buns baked in the oven at 5am. I started watching Ahsoka and now I regret not running on the treadmill more :P
  • Did my RunFitMama workout in the evening: single-leg squats, banded clamshells, renegade rows (oof), cobras and RDLs
Thursday
  • Planned: 10-20 minute Warm-Up + Tempo Interval Workout: 3 x 1600 meters with 3 minutes recovery jog followed by 3 times 200 meters with 200 meter recovery jog + 10-20 minute Cool-down
    • Completed: 10.63 km ~ 1:17:00 (7:14 min/km)
    • My mile splits were 10:28, 10:39, 10:37, so right on target
    • This is also the day where I did my final 4:30 am run. It was 17F/-8C when I started. It felt like such a relief to think this was my last time getting up in the middle of darkness when it's freakin cold out.
Friday
  • 33 minutes of strength training, including goblet squats, shoulder press, and lateral raises
Saturday
  • Planned: 10-20 minute Warm-Up + Tempo Run: 15 minutes + 10-20 minute Cool-down
    • Completed: 7.64 km ~ 55:26 (7:15 min/km)
    • It was cold again but sunny.
  • After my run, we spent the whole day baking and cooking, as I was hosting my friends over for my BFF's birthday dinner (yes her birthday is Christmas day) and I'm hosting my MIL for Christmas eve dinner tonight. It was good practice for MW, basically standing and walking for another 6 hours. I tried to take it easy with the wine at dinner. Again, good practice for MW to see how much alcohol I can take without it interfering the next day ;)
Sunday
  • Planned: 14 mile Fast Finish Long Run with the last 6 miles at a faster pace
    • Completed: 21.64 km ~ 2:45:09 (7:38 min/km)
    • Did the first 8 miles in 1:43, so really easy, partly with my running group who were only doing 5k today
    • Did the next 5.ish miles in 1:02
    • I stuck to my usual nutrition: Liquid IV a few minutes before the run, GUs/Maurten every 30-40 minutes and a shot of pickle juice at the 2-hour mark
    • I broke down in the last mile of this run and started bawling. It was a mix of relief, and pride, and exhaustion. I can't believe I've done all this training and put in all this hard work. It won't be pretty at the actual finish line!
  • Now I can start my Bailey's&coffee while waiting for my MIL to come for Christmas Eve dinner.
I have a total of 5 hours of running time on my plan for this week. Since I'm off from work, I have the time to do it. We'll see if I have the actual will to do it. My only motivation to run at this point is to finish testing out my costumes. We leave early on the 31st, when I have 10-mile run on the plan that day. I'll either move it up a day or just drop it and rest for the 5 days before the 5k.

Happy running friends, and happy holidays to all that celebrate!

40 for Dopey

20 hours until we leave!

Weekly Summary:
  • Running = 4:54 - 39.86 km/24.77 miles
  • Strength Training = 1:09
It's me. Hi. I'm the problem it's me.

aladdin panicking GIF

Don't mind me over here panicking since we leave in less than 24 hours. I have officially finished all my runs for training. And I've lost my money! I put my cash in a baggie to make sure we'd have it ready before we leave and I stored it with our luggage and clothes and now I can't find it. I've ransacked the house top to bottom, I've unpacked and repacked our luggage twice, and I have no clue where it is. The consequence being I have no American bills for tipping. :furious: Curse this Mommy brain of mine!! So here I am procrastinating while DH is out with the kids doing errands. It's no big deal I know, but I spent so much time preparing and making lists and getting everything ready, and I've lost something before we've even left the house!!

ETA: The cash has been found. I repeat. It has been located. It was in one of our suitcases, exactly where I put it. Is this taper brain or mommy brain?

Monday
  • Took a complete day off. This was also Christmas day. We drove to my parents' place to spend a few days... and my mom was positive for COVID! We decided to crash at my brother's house instead.
Tuesday
  • Planned: 60-80 minute Easy Run
    • Completed: 9.16 km ~ 1:02:33 (6:50 min/km)
    • Avg HR 156 bpm
    • This "easy" run turned into a 1-hour tempo run with my brother. I was tired afterwards. Long live the holidays with nothing to do between Christmas and New Year's
Wednesday
    • Completed: 3.84 km ~ 30:57 (8:03 min/km)
    • Avg HR 139 bpm
    • Still tired from the day before so went for 30:30 intervals
  • Did my RunFitMama workout right after: single-leg squats, banded clamshells, renegade rows (oof), cobras, RDLs and tacked on all-arm workout at the end
Thursday
  • Planned: 10-20 minute Warm-Up + Tempo Run: 15-20 minutes + 10-20 minute Cool-down
    • Completed: 7.02 km ~ 53:06 (7:33 min/km)
    • Did this on the treadmill while watching Ahsoka. Proud that I managed 53 minutes on the TM.
    • I tested out my marathon costume, which had heat transfer vinyl on a sport tech shirt. The vinyl hasn't cracked at all, my visor held up and no chafing. So I'm happy
Friday
  • I compressed my plan so I could get my long run in Saturday (today) since tomorrow we'll be flying to Orlando
  • Planned: 30-45 minute Easy Run
    • Completed: 5.67 km ~ 43:05 (7:36 min/km)
    • Again on the treadmill while watching Ahsoka.
  • 21 minutes of strength training, including goblet squats, shoulder press, and lateral raises
Saturday
  • Planned: 10 mile Fast Finish Long Run with the last 5 miles at a faster pace
    • Completed: 14.17 km ~ 1:44:59 (7:24 min/km)
    • Did the first hour/4.8 miles really easy
    • Did the next 4 miles at target pace, all good
Costumes are tested and loaded, fuel is packed, shoes are spread out amongst the luggage.

I'm actually also debating a last minute costume change. I could wear my Tiana Dottie skirt with a purple tank and purple shorts for Dopey colors. I'm going to bring it in my suitcase (hubby will be so pleased :P) in case the weather's warmer than anticipated for the 10k or the Half.

Happy running friends!

Last edited:
40 for Dopey

20 hours until we leave!

It's me. Hi. I'm the problem it's me.

aladdin panicking GIF

Don't mind me over here panicking since we leave in less than 24 hours. I have officially finished all my runs for training. And I've lost my money! I put my cash in a baggie to make sure we'd have it ready before we leave and I stored it with our luggage and clothes and now I can't find it. I've ransacked the house top to bottom, I've unpacked and repacked our luggage twice, and I have no clue where it is.
:rotfl2: I've totally been there. I purposely kept (one of) our credit cards in a specific pocket of one of our bags so we weren't digging out our whole wallet for food, etc on a trip because we had connecting flights and long layovers. And then we couldn't find the cards. They magically reappeared 7 months later when we went to use the bags again.
ETA: The cash has been found. I repeat. It has been located. It was in one of our suitcases, exactly where I put it. Is this taper brain or mommy brain?
This is You've-been-making-all-the-lists-It's-the-holidays-And-Dopey-maddness-to-top-it-off brain.

I packed this morning. And I know I've forgotten something. And I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.

I have officially finished all my runs for training. And I've lost my money! I put my cash in a baggie to make sure we'd have it ready before we leave and I stored it with our luggage and clothes and now I can't find it. I've ransacked the house top to bottom, I've unpacked and repacked our luggage twice, and I have no clue where it is.
I've totally done this too ... multiple times 😞 I usually try to put a reminder in my phone now with a hint for where I put it, but even that is not fool proof.

Good luck with the travels and the races!

Pre-Dopey report

I won't do a whole recap of our trip, cause it would go on for niles and niles and niles...

We arrived on Dec 31st after a 4-hour flight delay. We dropped off our luggage in our GDT room and hurried to grab an Uber to make it in time for the 6:30 fireworks from the Grand Flo. We had Citricos reservations for our 7:30 NYE dinner. We got out of the Uber literally at 6:29 and rushed to the beach.
20231231_183935.jpg
After fireworks, we enjoyed a very pricey but very delicious meal in the restaurant and then took another Uber back to our room to crash. No midnight partying for this family.

On NYD, we were on the 6:20am bus from CSR to AK to rope-drop FOP. Our big activity that day was the Wild Africa Trek which we had booked as a Christmas present for the kids. OK who am I kidding, this was totally for me 😂 I was especially looking forward to having lunch overlooking the savannah
2024-01-01 - Disneys Animal Kingdom Park - Wild africa trek_25_2.jpeg
We stacked G+ during the day to use at MK that night, where we rode Tron for the first time and knocked out a bunch of rides, including realigning my back on Space Mountain and riding BTMR during HEA.

Jan 2 was our HS/EP day. We were already tired from our 12-hour day yesterday, so we didn't quite make it to rope-drop. We went immediately to RnR before the crowds got too long. My kids loooved it. We tried to do more rides during the day using G+, but crowds were nuts and I could barely manage to book anything. I've never seen it that bad (and it wasn't even the worst week of the year crowdwise). I loved doing MW, but I am never again going at this time of year. I hate the crowds too much. We jumped over to Epcot to ride GotG, but the ride went down minutes before we were to board. They gave us an anytime return pass to use in the coming days. A bummer, since 48 hours into our trip I had still not ridden my favorite ride of all time but oh well.

Jan 3 was Expo Day. I got BG12 so immediately headed over to WWOS to get in line. I got most of the merch I wanted and spent too much money once again. I met michaeldoesdis in the lines for the race distance numbers. He has such great energy and is so nice. He took this great photo of me.
20240103_112722.jpg
After getting mine and J's bibs and shirts, I met up with RunFitMama for the Dopey Strong get-together. I am so awkward that I stood around and made no friends. :) I am so bad at integrating in groups. I left around 1pm to do pool time for a bit (Go Canada! my kids were the only ones in the pool!). Then, we had booked Splitsville for dinner and bowling. It was not worth the money. I'm glad we got to experience it, and it definitely kept my two ADHD kids occupied during dinner, but Splitsville is definitely a one-and-done.

Coming up... the 5k!

5k race report

I was running the 5k with DS who had asked to do more races following Princess 2023. It was a really great experience to run it just with him. We had some great mom-son time together. The temperatures were perfect that day, not too hot and not too cold to wait in the corrals.

Before the race, we got to meet Bob from Rise&Run, who my son loves to listen to. That podcast has gotten me through most of my marathon long runs.
20240104_034731.jpg

We headed to the corrals early so we could be towards the front and start as quickly as possible. We did the race following J's pace, walking when he wanted to.
20240104_054443.jpg

J isn't too interested in characters, even less to wait in line for pictures, so we didn't really stop much. I did force him to stop for Goofy so we had at least one picture together

2024-01-04 - runDisney Walt Disney World - Rundisney_35_2.jpeg

2024-01-04 - runDisney Walt Disney World - Rundisney_29.jpeg

Can anyone guess what we were dressed up as? I don't think most ppl correctly identified it, but some parts of our costume (like our duck feet) didn't get delivered in time.

We finished in 1:05:33 with a moving time of 44:30. We managed to get what was my best race finish picture of the weekend.
2024-01-04 - runDisney Walt Disney World - Rundisney finish line_2.jpeg

Right as we were finishing, it started drizzling. After the race, we rope-dropped Epcot which in hindsight wasn't the best idea. We both got cold from the rain and had to carry all our post-race stuff around the park. We did FEA first then GotG (twice in a row thanks to that anytime pass!). We then had breakfast at Garden Grill, since that was where J wanted to celebrate his 5k:

20240104_103438.jpg
After GG, we rode Soarin over California. The kids played in the Moana exhibit for a bit and we headed back to the hotel.

My ltitle buddy was a trooper (he hates when I say that haha). He was up at 2:00 am for the race and after dinner, while I was going to bed, he and his dad decided to go back to Epcot to play the DuckTales game at WS. I think he was really tired after that though!!

WDW 10k race report

My brain is mush so I don't remember much from the 10k.

I tried to meet with some people before the race but again, hi awkward me! It was the coldest morning of the 4 that day, even for me. I was shivering in long sleeves and a mylar blanket.

Which brings me to another question...

Why did I need to pee so much during the races this weekend?

I kept the same hydration/fuel ritual throughout the 4 days:
- One Liquid IV packet in 500 mL before going to bed
- A bagel with some PB and some water around 2:15
- One Liquid IV packet in 500 mL around 5:00 (I usually started around 5:20-5:30 based on my corral #)
- I tried to take one cup at every water station

This wasn't a lot more than what I would normally drink before/around my long runs at home, and I wanted to be careful since Orlando is warmer than Montreal at this time of year. And I'm not a big day drinker. It's not like I was chugging water during the rest of the day.

I had to stop so many times to pee during the races, which I usually never do. Last year for my first marathon, I didn't have to stop once. And since the porta-potty or bathroom lines were so long, it really added some time to my results this year. I'm not complaining about the results, I'm complaining about the long times.

So yeah, first thing I did in the 10k was, as soon as the race started, run as fast as I could to find the first porta-potty line and wait 7 minutes in it.

The weather was perfect for running. Course was crowded, which was an unfortunate recurring theme also during the weekend, but I didn't mind since I wasn't racing the 10k for once.

I stopped for Pinocchio, Aurora and the 3 fairy godmothers. I had the best time running around Crescent Lake, I love it when races take us around the boardwalk. When I saw Peter Pan and Wendy right at the entrance to International Gateway, I thought why not! Right before that line, I got a beautiful picture of the bridge from UK to France
20240105_065118.jpg
I was a bit stressed in that ~10 minute line but I was still seeing people exit World Showcase towards the Boardwalk. I was taking it chill after Peter Pan and running leisurely through World Showcase when my husband texted me that Standby Skipper had booked us a 9:00am LL for Jingle Cruise. No more leisurely run! I raced to the finish line. I still stopped for the PhotoPass in front of Guardians.
2024-01-05 - runDisney Walt Disney World - Rundisney_52.jpg

I couldn't resist before finishing though. John Pelkey was by the side welcoming in runners. I LOVE him. I love deadpan and deprecating humor, and he is all about that. He was so nice about letting me take a picture with him. 🥰
20240105_072023_2.jpg
#pelkeyselfie

I think that was the character highlight of my 4 races :laughing: That, and Perry.

After the race, I hurried to get my post-race pic and took the bus back to CSR. By then, it was around 8:15 and I knew it was a bit close to get to MK for 9:00. We splurged on a Minnie Van to get us faster than the bus.

We spent that half-day mostly in Adventureland and in Fantasyland.

We had lunch at The Plaza, which was a first for us. It was good but I'd still prefer Tony's for a race weekend. I also waited 30 minutes in line to get a picture with Mirabel and my medal 🥰
2024-01-05 - Magic Kingdom Park - Fairytale garden_1.jpg

Crowds were still nuts. I will not wait 40 minutes in line for it's a small world, no matter how much nostalgia I have for that ride. Even some of the LL lines were 20 minutes (I'm looking at you BTMR). By 2 pm I was done and we headed back to the hotel.

I continued stacking a few LLs for that evening so my family could enjoy rides at HS while I was in bed. I am so glad my kids are old enough to ride alone, I don't have to ride Alien Swirling Saucers ever again.

I went for a quick dinner at Disney Springs and to meet the charity with which I was running Dopey, A Running Passion. I was on the bus back when I got the news that the course was shortened because of the storm the next day. I was not disappointed in the least. I wasn't doing Dopey to do 48.6 miles, I was doing Dopey to do 4 races in 4 days including a full marathon. It probably sucked for those people who were only doing the Half or for whom it was their first runDisney experience. I hope you all had a good time anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter