Iceland trip report

We realized today that last night’s dinner was supposed to include a brewery tour and tasting which we never received.
Did you ever find out why this didn't get included? This is one of the things DH is looking forward to the most.

Did you ever find out why this didn't get included? This is one of the things DH is looking forward to the most.
We realized a day late that it was supposed to be included and felt it awkward to ask after the fact. We will inquire at some point though!

We just finished the glacier hike and I can’t even find the words to accurately describe how incredible it was. The team that handles the equipment and the tour are really phenomenal. They are both informative and skilled, and we all felt secure. We were with the faster group, so I can’t say what the slower group did, but we hiked on the ice to a super high spot. I will try to post photos when I can. The crampons that they provide are very helpful and we were guided on how to use them. The views were spectacular! Unfortunately, the boat ride scheduled next was cancelled due to high wind. We went to the glacier lagoon where the boat was located anyway and had an opportunity to see the pieces of glacier in the lagoon close up. It was very scenic, and we all understood that nature can impact the best laid plans. The guides were only able to move our dinner a bit early so they planned a short surprise which was really nice! We just got to our dinner, which seems lovely!

Attachments

• 8424BCF4-97AF-4211-B3BF-6BE1226F4B3D.jpeg
    8424BCF4-97AF-4211-B3BF-6BE1226F4B3D.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 63
Thanks SO MUCH for the candid, informative updates. I was kind of questioning the horseback ride due to back issues (although I was told the horses are WAY gentle). But if they don't change the experience from what you did, I may just opt out. We shall see what future Adventurers report!

I am SO GLAD the glacier hike was a good experience for you!! And yes, weather in Iceland appears to be seriously variable, and something you just can't account for. Hopefully they'll come up with some sort of alternative activity in the future.

Thanks again!! The glacier pic looks *so* very cool! Can you say what the criteria was between doing the faster group vs. the slower group?

Sayhello

Thanks SO MUCH for the candid, informative updates. I was kind of questioning the horseback ride due to back issues (although I was told the horses are WAY gentle). But if they don't change the experience from what you did, I may just opt out. We shall see what future Adventurers report!

I am SO GLAD the glacier hike was a good experience for you!! And yes, weather in Iceland appears to be seriously variable, and something you just can't account for. Hopefully they'll come up with some sort of alternative activity in the future.

Thanks again!! The glacier pic looks *so* very cool! Can you say what the criteria was between doing the faster group vs. the slower group?

The horse back ride could easily be skipped unless they change it. We were told that they are better trails for smaller groups. I just asked someone who did the slower walk, and she said they didn’t do the biggest incline that we did, but they did do some very exciting climbs.

@tsgirl -- thank you for taking the time to post about this exciting trip. We were in Iceland last year OOO and plan to go next year on DCL. I had hoped to do horseback riding but your experience is not encouraging. I know there are 2 vendors in Reykjavik -- would you share the name of the one used by ABD?
I think if you book on your own, you’ll be fine. I think the issue here was the fact that we had over 40 people on a trail together. We were told there was a great trail by the beach for smaller groups.

We just had our dinner in a remote hotel, an oasis in the middle of nowhere. Both the service and the food were excellent. The guides were so attentive to the dietary needs and they really cared about making the meal perfect.

We just had our dinner in a remote hotel, an oasis in the middle of nowhere. Both the service and the food were excellent. The guides were so attentive to the dietary needs and they really cared about making the meal perfect.
Oooo! That sounds wonderful! Was this the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon? :)
FYI, this is Allysa’s last tour
Oh! I was told Alyssa would be one of our Guides in September. I guess not! I wonder who it will be.

Sayhello

We just booked Iceland with ABD for 2019 summer. I really don’t like that there are 40 people on the tour. That seems a lot!!!! Apparently, Iceland is the most popular vacation country now.
We did Costa Rica in 2016 with ABD and we had 21 people on it. It was the perfect size and got to know everyone really well. Also, everything moved quickly and not too much down time/waiting time for rest of the group which was great.
I hope ICELAND trip is worth the money ABD is charging.
Costa Rica definitely was.

Oooo! That sounds wonderful! Was this the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon? :)
Oh! I was told Alyssa would be one of our Guides in September. I guess not! I wonder who it will be.

Sayhello
Yes, the Foss Hotel! I’ll let you know if I find out who is replacing Alyssa. We just got to the hotel and it is 11:30pm, which is why they want you to pack just an overnight bag for here. I heard today that we will be able to get things back into our suitcase at the airport tomorrow, lessening the carry on load. I’ll report more then!

The mask is included in the Disney package!

When I was there a couple weeks ago I was told you actually can get two masks with the premium package the silica one and I think the other one was algae? I didn't use the second one but I did the silica and I thought my skin really felt and possibly looked better afterwards. I am not usually into facials or advanced skincare but I thought it was really great!

The second hotel (all hotels are Icelandair Hotels) is in Vik, on the way back to the airport for the short flight. It is more upscale than the first hotel and the room is larger. There is free WiFi again but it is spotty. The breakfast starts at 7am, even though we were told it started at 6:30. We are really tired from yesterday’s super long day.

Last edited:
When I was there a couple weeks ago I was told you actually can get two masks with the premium package the silica one and I think the other one was algae? I didn't use the second one but I did the silica and I thought my skin really felt and possibly looked better afterwards. I am not usually into facials or advanced skincare but I thought it was really great!
That’s very possible. Nobody has a guide with them at the Blue Lagoon, so maybe we needed to ask for the second mask.

When I return, I’ll edit with more details, but the ice cream stop in the beginning was not what we expected.

Also, there are no porters in any of the hotels so you are responsible for your own baggage to and from all rooms. The guides offered to help but made it clear they preferred you to handle your own bags.

When I return, I’ll edit with more details, but the ice cream stop in the beginning was not what we expected.
That sounds ominous. :guilty:

This is really disappointing to read. A hallmark of ABD has been the Tinkerbell luggage service.
I totally agree with this. :( That's definitely one of the perks I really love about ABD. I'm thinking ABD may need to re-think some of their decisions on this trip.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter