Iceland trip report

Hmmm....I’m worried if this trip will be worth the cost now
I still have a week time period that I can cancel this trip without penalty.
I know you are only half way through the trip. Do you think you could have plan this trip in Iceland on your own without ABD?

I know you are only half way through the trip. Do you think you could have plan this trip in Iceland on your own without ABD?
Just remember that your deposit is not refundable, but you can have ABD hold it and apply it to another ABD.

Sayhello

She might still be in that 14 day window when your deposit is fully refundable.
Oh, that's true. Duh. :) For some reason my brain was thinking a week until Paid in Full date, but of course, that doesn't make sense given the timeframe.

Sayhello

Yeah, I’m in that 14 Day window until the 19th. We had such a great experience with ABD in Costa Rica I’m afraid my expectation is high. Also, this Iceland trip is EXPENSIVE!!

That sounds ominous. :guilty:

I totally agree with this. :( That's definitely one of the perks I really love about ABD. I'm thinking ABD may need to re-think some of their decisions on this trip.

Sayhello
Sorry if I sounded ominous about the ice cream stop. I think most people enjoyed it, but the story behind the stop is that it is a family run business which used to be run by the older parents in a very traditional way. One of the daughters explained that the kids took it over and now the cows are milked by machine and all else has been modernized. It was disappointing because, to me, it had lost the charm it probably once had, and the daughters story was a bit sad to me. Lots of guests enjoyed the visit though. I just would have preferred some free time in Reykjavík instead.

Yeah, I’m in that 14 Day window until the 19th. We had such a great experience with ABD in Costa Rica I’m afraid my expectation is high. Also, this Iceland trip is EXPENSIVE!!
Feel free to reach out to me privately if you want

After landing in Akureyri, we picked up a new coach and driver and headed for a short tour of town. Our local guide, Stefen, is from this town. We then drove to a fish restaurant, cod demonstsrion, and whale watching cruise. The food at lunch was excellent and very fresh. The cod demonstration included a house made schnapps tasting. The owner was very charismatic and charming and looked just like a Brolin or Pierce Brosnan! If you are squeamish, though, you might not care for the fish demonstration. The owner fillets a full cod for the group, and while making a joke, pops the fish’s eye in his mouth. One of the girls in our group got sick from this. The whale watching cruise, which is located on the same property, was fantastic. We were given full suits to stay warm and dry, and saw so many whales! While still on the boat, everyone who wants to is given a chance to fish and once caught, throw the fish back in. Following this, we went to dinner in a local restaurant where our food had been preordered. I must say that ALL the food on this trip has been fantastic so far! I will Post about the food after the trip is over. Three of us have special dietary restrictions and could not have been happier with the food we received!

I just joined yesterday and not sure how to send you a message privately
I believe you have to have at least 10 posts before you can send a private message (or "Conversation" as it's called on this board).

Sayhello

You can do an amazing Iceland trip on your own. We didn't do everything ABD has planned but we had a truly memorable trip. Iceland is easily done OYO.

We are on the Adventure just after yours. Do you think I can get by with just a Fleece pullover, hiking pants, and a good warm jacket for each day. This weight limit is making packing a bit hard. Also, is there anything you wish you had brought with you.

We are on the Adventure just after yours. Do you think I can get by with just a Fleece pullover, hiking pants, and a good warm jacket for each day. This weight limit is making packing a bit hard. Also, is there anything you wish you had brought with you.
You definitely need to bring waterproof things. You might not have as much rain as we did in the beginning but you might. Also, the rain pants I brought were nice and warm. You also should bring hiking boots. If you don’t have boots for the glacier hike, they lend you a pair. Also, for the horse back ride and the whale watching, they provide rain gear. The horse back ride even has hats and gloves you can borrow. I’ve worn a long sleeve, a sweatshirt, a lined rain jacket each day. On the bottom, I’ve worn tights and heavy rain pants. Today, is the first day I’ve worn “regular” pants and it is day 5. Does that help?

Thank you so much for your report. As others have stated, your feedback is so helpful as we prepare for our Iceland ABD adventure in September!

One question - are there non-seafood food options at each meal?

Looking forward to your future updates! Take care -

Thank you so much for your report. As others have stated, your feedback is so helpful as we prepare for our Iceland ABD adventure in September!

One question - are there non-seafood food options at each meal?

Looking forward to your future updates! Take care -

Yes, the choices have mostly been salmon and chicken, or a vegetarian option. For kids, there have been pizza and burgers.

Yes, the choices have mostly been salmon and chicken, or a vegetarian option. For kids, there have been pizza and burgers.
I guess with all the seafood Iceland is known for, I was hoping for more of a variety of seafood. As much as I love salmon, I don't think I could eat it night after night!

These updates have just been an amazing resource!

Sayhello

I guess with all the seafood Iceland is known for, I was hoping for more of a variety of seafood. As much as I love salmon, I don't think I could eat it night after night!

These updates have just been an amazing resource!

Sayhello
On the final night, pasta with langostine is an option and we had cod at the fish demo/restaurant. I will say the salmon has been delicious but I agree about wanting more seafood. There has been herring on all the breakfast buffets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter