If not Victoria & Alberts, which restaurant would you choose for a special occasion?

We did Topolinos and Steakhouse 71 for date nights, Steakhouse 71 was loud and full of kids but food was good (first time). Topolinos was very nice, food was decent and it was quiet.

This time we're going adults only for our honeymoon and my birthday. We're doing Flying Fish and Narcoosse. Neither will be fireworks viewing bc they are after rest time/before AH events. We're also doing Homecoming/Yak Yeti because they are favorites.

Monsieur Paul it’s a light Victoria and Albert’s experience. If get like a 6;30 reservation you will probably still be there for fireworks if you want to take your meal slow or can walk right out after into fireworks. I call is V&A light because it’s a multi course meal with wine parings if you choose. Plus they bring some smaller courses that aren’t listed like a pre appetizer and pallet cleaners. The chef comes out and talks to you and the service is excellent. Monsieur Paul we have sone twice and will do again, not all the time but I would definitely do it again for a special occasion in a minute

Agree with Monsieur Paul. We would never be comfortable at Victoria & Albert’s, but really enjoyed MP. The service was outstanding. We don’t drink so the server brought a yummy nonalcoholic welcome drink. My husband doesn’t eat seafood, so he was given alternative items for those courses. The food was all delicious.

If you're from a fishing community, Flying Fish is nothing special. We like it but it's basic somewhat upscale seafood.
Steakhouses are a dime a dozen and I get far better steaks at home for less. Le Cellier is themed well and tasty.

Good sushi and Japanese is everywhere in FL.

Good Italian is everywhere now.

Jiko, Tiffins and Sanaa are unique and well themed.

So Monsieur Paul it would be for us.

We were at WDW a week ago.
We had an amazing meal at Monsieur Paul , with the signature wine pairing. Our server , Alexsis was amazing. They started us out in the interior, but moved us to a window table for the fireworks at their insistence.

We also ate at Jiko twice, and Toppolinos, and Cali Grill. HBD twice, and Tiffins twice, Le Cellier once. Plus San Angel, Boathouse, Crystal Palace, Coral Reef, and Wine Bar George.

Cali was in our bottom 3, along with Le Cellier and Trattoria Al Forno, which is next to Flying Fish. All 3 of those were crowded, with screaming , uncontrolled kids.

Among the ones we ate at, for special occasion, I would pick Monsieur Paul, and then Jiko.

We have many favorites.
Blue Zoo or Flying Fish for seafood.
Jiko go early and enjoy the savanna.
Takumi Tei - Our best meal, by far on our last trip. Not quite V&A prices, but close. Was a 3 hour adventure.
Citricos was a very nice surprise on our last trip. Since being reimagined, it is much improved.

Although we enjoy Citricos, Narcoossees, and Jiko, if you want to approach a V&A-type meal with easier availability and slightly lower cost, Monsieur Paul would be my choice. It’s a prix fixe multi-course meal with an available wine pairing, and they will work with you to substitute if you avoid a particular food. V&A pricing has increased past our breaking point, and we expect it will get another boost now that a Michelin star has been awarded. We celebrated our 45th and 50th anniversaries at V&A, but switched to Monsieur Paul for our recent 55th.

Takumi Tei - Our best meal, by far on our last trip. Not quite V&A prices, but close. Was a 3 hour adventure.
Citricos was a very nice surprise on our last trip. Since being reimagined, it is much improved.
Ate at Takumi Tei soon after opening and it was still “shaking out”; haven’t had the opportunity to return since. So glad to hear the reimagining of Citricos was a success. I’ll keep your recommendations in mind when I return 👍🏾.

Although we enjoy Citricos, Narcoossees, and Jiko, if you want to approach a V&A-type meal with easier availability and slightly lower cost, Monsieur Paul would be my choice. It’s a prix fixe multi-course meal with an available wine pairing, and they will work with you to substitute if you avoid a particular food. V&A pricing has increased past our breaking point, and we expect it will get another boost now that a Michelin star has been awarded. We celebrated our 45th and 50th anniversaries at V&A, but switched to Monsieur Paul for our recent 55th.
Haven't had a chance to go back to Monsieur Paul since it reopened. It was one of our favorites before it closed. It's on our list for this fall. How does it compare now to previously?

So if you want to stay on Disney property,

I'd recommend these based off where I have stayed, where I have eaten and where I want to go based off reviews/friends and family in no particular order

*Citrico's at GF
*Flying Fish and Trattoria al Forno at Boardwalk
*Toppolino's Terrace Dinner at Riviera
*Various places in Swolphin, 4 seasons, waldorf
*California Grill at Contemporary
*Sanaa or Jiko at AKL
*boathouse, wine bar george, STK, Morimoto, Fultons in Disney Springs.

And if you wanted to venture to USO: Bigfire at City Walk, Bice at Portofino, and the palm at HRH

Haven't had a chance to go back to Monsieur Paul since it reopened. It was one of our favorites before it closed. It's on our list for this fall. How does it compare now to previously?
For us, it was a very different experience. DW is gluten free. When we had last gone to MP (probably 5 or 6 years ago now), it was not a prix fixe dinner. We did not have a very good experience in having the allergy accommodated, and the service was not good at all. Our server seemed annoyed that we were asking about GF options and spent a good part of the meal ignoring our table. We resigned ourselves to stay away.

With the post-Covid MP reopening, reviewers we follow who need allergy accommodation reported a very good experience, so we decided to return for our special occasion dinner. The prix fixe experience with a single glass of wine, soft drink, and bottled sparkling water ended up at $530 with tax and gratuity for the two of us. We felt service and food quality measured up at this price point. For comparison, we spent approximately $200 for two at Citricos and $230 for two at Jiko during the same trip. That was for individual appetizers and entrees, and a single shared dessert along with our usual soft drink, glass of wine and bottled sparkling water. Each of those meals qualified for the 10% AP discount on food and non-alcoholic beverages while no AP or DVC discount was available at MP. We will probably reserve MP for future special occasion dinners, since we find the food and service at Citricos, Jiko, Narcoossee’s, and Topolino’s Terrace satisfy our need for a signature dining experience while at WDW.

We had the same experience recently. MP was great and we also ate At Cali Grille and it was underwhelming to say the least. Loved it as a regular restaurant but the price fix was not great for us. Food was lukewarm and portions were smaller than expected. The bill was dropped before even being asked if we wanted coffee.
At MP they went above and beyond for my wife who has a salt intolerance and does not eat meat. The chef came out and discussed his ingredients and asked her what she likes and made her an amazing meal with all the courses.

At MP they went above and beyond for my wife who has a salt intolerance and does not eat meat. The chef came out and discussed his ingredients and asked her what she likes
Did the Chef talk to you at CG? How did they handle your special needs there?

For us, it was a very different experience. DW is gluten free. When we had last gone to MP (probably 5 or 6 years ago now), it was not a prix fixe dinner. We did not have a very good experience in having the allergy accommodated, and the service was not good at all. Our server seemed annoyed that we were asking about GF options and spent a good part of the meal ignoring our table. We resigned ourselves to stay away.

With the post-Covid MP reopening, reviewers we follow who need allergy accommodation reported a very good experience, so we decided to return for our special occasion dinner. The prix fixe experience with a single glass of wine, soft drink, and bottled sparkling water ended up at $530 with tax and gratuity for the two of us. We felt service and food quality measured up at this price point. For comparison, we spent approximately $200 for two at Citricos and $230 for two at Jiko during the same trip. That was for individual appetizers and entrees, and a single shared dessert along with our usual soft drink, glass of wine and bottled sparkling water. Each of those meals qualified for the 10% AP discount on food and non-alcoholic beverages while no AP or DVC discount was available at MP. We will probably reserve MP for future special occasion dinners, since we find the food and service at Citricos, Jiko, Narcoossee’s, and Topolino’s Terrace satisfy our need for a signature dining experience while at WDW.
Thanks. We really enjoy citricos, Jiko and Topolinos as well. Sounds like it will be a good choice for our next trip.

California Grill comes in second. Citrico's wouldn't even hit my top 20.
Agreed.

“Old” Citricos held no special attraction for me.It was okay but nothing that made me gush. I’m sure the decor and lighting had a lot to do with it but I’m hopeful with the reported refurbishment it’s changed in looks and overall menu. Still, I doubt I’d consider it for a special occasion meal in the recent past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter