If you didn't have rent or bills to pay , what would you spend your salary on?

Only one thing to say:
SAVE IT FOR RETIREMENT !!!
We did. We retired early and it has been the best 4 years of my life !
You will be in your late 50s in a blink of an eye. You will have wished that money was saved/invested.

Last edited:
Well, we are almost in that position, as our home and cars are paid off, and I can tell you what we spend it on: skating expenses. DD11 has an expensive avocation, and almost all of our "disposable" income goes to support it. (I don't consider retirement savings to be disposable income; that gets funded first.)

Yesterday she won a place at National Championships, and today we are $1900 poorer after arranging travel to that for all 3 of us. (If you'd told me 10 years ago that I would be spending money for this, I'd have laughed. At this point it has passed laughable and crossed over into surreal.)

Well, we are almost in that position, as our home and cars are paid off, and I can tell you what we spend it on: skating expenses. DD11 has an expensive avocation, and almost all of our "disposable" income goes to support it. (I don't consider retirement savings to be disposable income; that gets funded first.)

Yesterday she won a place at National Championships, and today we are $1900 poorer after arranging travel to that for all 3 of us. (If you'd told me 10 years ago that I would be spending money for this, I'd have laughed. At this point it has passed laughable and crossed over into surreal.)

I am friends with Adam Rippon's father. Reading what you are saying is like hearing his father talk about when Adam was coming up in the ranks.

It'll get easier when she gets sponsors. I couldn't believe the cost of skates or costumes when I first heard of it. I hope your DD has even more success than Adam!

Only one thing to say:
SAVE IT FOR RETIREMENT !!!
We did. We retired early and it has been the best 4 years of my life !
You will be in your late 50s in a blink of an eye. You will have wished that money was saved/invested.

That’s great but this is all rhetorical. No one is saying they are actually throwing all their money away on designer handbags and trips.

Kids/grandchildren
Retirement
Travel
Home projects
Medical bills - as we get older, we have them more and more :(

Last edited:
I am friends with Adam Rippon's father. Reading what you are saying is like hearing his father talk about when Adam was coming up in the ranks.
It'll get easier when she gets sponsors. I couldn't believe the cost of skates or costumes when I first heard of it. I hope your DD has even more success than Adam!

In DD's case, it's still very pricey, but not THAT pricey. :crazy2:

DD is a Synchronized skater, so sponsorship isn't going to happen, at least not for her personally. Teams do get sponsors, but that money goes to ice time and/or choreography, not the skaters' personal costs. However, there isn't the same level of expense as a singles skater incurs. Her total expenses now run about half as much as a modest yearly mortgage payment for our area, but they will get somewhat higher as she advances.

In DD's case, it's still very pricey, but not THAT pricey. :crazy2:

DD is a Synchronized skater, so sponsorship isn't going to happen, at least not for her personally. Teams do get sponsors, but that money goes to ice time and/or choreography, not the skaters' personal costs. However, there isn't the same level of expense as a singles skater incurs. Her total expenses now run about half as much as a modest yearly mortgage payment for our area, but they will get somewhat higher as she advances.
Yikes! I was hopeful for you. Sorry to hear that.

we are pretty much there, no mortgage or other loans, prop 13 taxes and solar panels, sufficient savings. We eat out a lot. We did get the Disney Premier pass this year. No expense comes close to !HEALTH INSURANCE! yuck

Yeah, that’s the big one unfortunately. Health insurance combined with what insurance doesn’t pay left my mortgage in the dust years ago.

A private chef. My dh and I have contradictory health restrictions right now and I'm struggling with cooking tasty and easy meals that satisfy both and make our kids happy.

Traveling and update front of my house. I’d replace our off centered window and add a larger centered window. Remove the wood panel that’s in one section and replace hat with stucco. I’d get rid of the wooden plant box( bottom is cement) infront that’s connected to the house. I’d like to add some of the stone rocks to the bottom portion of the house don’t know what it’s called but looks nice. I guess depend on the style in the next few years

DH and I are pretty much there. No bills except our monthly utilities, occasional medical bill, car insurance and gas. He's retired and I'm still working, although I could have retired 5 years ago when he did. We spend on travel. We still live pretty frugally throughout the year as you never know what the future will bring, but we tend to take several trips a year. This year so far we're doing 10 days at Sandals Emerald Bay, our annual camping/kayaking trip in June, a Cuba cruise in September and I'm currently looking into Bonaire for November/December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter