If you're still covid cautious and cruised recently, how did you feel?

We were on the Fantasy in March, the first mask optional cruise. We have been very covid cautious, and continue to mask indoors in public, etc. We slowly relaxed as the cruise went on - largely bc it was clearly fine. Also, it was clear that many of the (few) remaining protocols were nonsensical given everything else. We ended up feeling pretty safe and relaxed with the whole experiece. We had our masks with us at all times, but rarely wore them aside from in the theater and elevators.

We were on this same cruise. I tested positive for covid on 4/10, two days after returning home (I live near the port so no flying). I too have been very cautious and felt uncomfortable with all the sudden changes. I think we may have been one of the families you saw with a mask on the whole time except outside. Anyway, at least 6 other people tested positive during and after this cruise. So I would say just do what you think is best. I tried my best and still could not avoid it, which was terribly upsetting after two years of avoidance. Everything on the 4/3 ship and onwards is back as if there is no covid aside from testing and vaccine requirements.
Wow, so sorry you and others got sick but glad you are on the mend.

Thank you for asking! I am better now this week. Then developed a sinus infection due to covid. I am on the mend slowly. No one else in my family thankfully. One other family had three infections and another one had three infections. I am sure there are others. Everyone was on this cruise.
Sorry, which ship was this? Which brings me to the question, if onboard positives are tracked somewhere by number by DCL? I know the CDC is doing the green, yellow, red, but no numbers, if I remember correctly?

I want to thank every one so much for sharing your feelings and experiences. I've read through all of them all. We are still on the fence about going or canceling and it's really helpful to hear from those who have been on the ship lately.

Sorry, which ship was this? Which brings me to the question, if onboard positives are tracked somewhere by number by DCL? I know the CDC is doing the green, yellow, red, but no numbers, if I remember correctly?
Wonder

So, here's the thing. We've all been so focussed on keeping safe from Covid (and I'm glad we did, mind you) that we actually haven't had any other sicknesses in 2 years. Guess what happened to our immunity to things like rhinovirus and common cold, strep, bronchitis, etc? Yep. All four of us came home with something different after our March cruise. None of us had Covid (had to do a PCR test when getting off the ship to go through Cdn customs) We all also did Covid tests at home. Still not covid.

I had a sore throat and runny nose. DH had bronchitis. DS had strep (responded well to antibiotics, but try to see a doctor in person these days is crazy hard) and my DSister got laryngitis.

At least we're good for a while and our immune systems got a kick-start for those every day bugs.

I sailed the Fantasy on the 9th and lots of people reported testing positive for Covid after. My mom also tested positive after.

DCL cruises are short for the most part so if someone tests positive after returning home then they will not be counted

Last edited:
We were on this same cruise. I tested positive for covid on 4/10, two days after returning home (I live near the port so no flying). I too have been very cautious and felt uncomfortable with all the sudden changes. I think we may have been one of the families you saw with a mask on the whole time except outside. Anyway, at least 6 other people tested positive during and after this cruise. So I would say just do what you think is best. I tried my best and still could not avoid it, which was terribly upsetting after two years of avoidance. Everything on the 4/3 ship and onwards is back as if there is no covid aside from testing and vaccine requirements.
I just listened to a podcast by the DCL Duo, they were also on this cruise and the wife tested positive the last evening and had to quarantine. They also said the reason Frozen was cancelled was due to crew exposure/outbreak. This makes me extra glad that we masked almost everywhere!

This was the Wonder. That is the strange thing of it all. I reported it to DCL but no response. And frankly, I don't think it is counted.

I just listened to a podcast by the DCL Duo, they were also on this cruise and the wife tested positive the last evening and had to quarantine. They also said the reason Frozen was cancelled was due to crew exposure/outbreak. This makes me extra glad that we masked almost everywhere!
Crazy right! We did too with KN94 masks but I still caught it. I just don't know but also know I did my best. It is what it is.

Crazy right! We did too with KN94 masks but I still caught it. I just don't know but also know I did my best. It is what it is.
Yeah, I guess the point in all this is that there will likely be people with Covid on the ship, and everyone has to decide how comfortable they are with that. And I guess realize that even with precautions taken there are still risks. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the past 2 years it’s that people have very different levels of risk tolerance!

The crazy thing is I was worried about Covid but ended up getting food poisoning on day 3 and was quarantined in our cabin for almost 45 hours. Really didn’t expect that was what would get me lol.

I have not cruised recently but my biggest concern about my upcoming cruise is that people may not self disclosed symptoms that occur on their cruise to avoid being quarantined and will continue to walk around unmasked and expose others.

I’m not sure what DCL could do about that short of testing everyone every day which isn’t practical, but I do wish people would do the right thing and take their symptoms seriously.

Listening to the DCL Duo podcast where they basically saw this occurring (lots of people coughing etc on the last couple of days of the cruise) and knew Sam to be the only passenger who was quarantined only increased this fear.

I have not cruised recently but my biggest concern about my upcoming cruise is that people may not self disclosed symptoms that occur on their cruise to avoid being quarantined and will continue to walk around unmasked and expose others.

I’m not sure what DCL could do about that short of testing everyone every day which isn’t practical, but I do wish people would do the right thing and take their symptoms seriously.

Listening to the DCL Duo podcast where they basically saw this occurring (lots of people coughing etc on the last couple of days of the cruise) and knew Sam to be the only passenger who was quarantined only increased this fear.
Just assume that there will be unmasked people coughing and sneezing and decide how comfortable you are with it. They will not be quarantined because they will not ask to be tested

Really? I've sailed with DCL three times since the re-start (PC and Miami) and have been supervised for proper swabbing during all my tests.
I’ve sailed 4 times since August. 2 of the times the person who was supposed to be supervising us turned her back when we swabbed. She wasn’t doing anything and waited for us to say, “ok, all done” before she turned back around. I should have reported her.

We sail in June and the only thing that has me wary is the distance between tables in the dining room. Everywhere else, I can choose to wear my mask (and will). I will see how things are going in 2 months and decide how I approach it. I'm also on a Celebrity cruise board (we are sailing Celebrity for the first time this summer to Alaska) and there are so many passengers reporting getting covid on a few recent cruises. It has me uneasy. All I can do is wear my mask and decide what I'm comfortable with when I get on board.
I sailed Celebrity in October and leave again in 8 days. There are some things that are different. (If you are sailing on Millie, feel free to ask me specific questions)

For one, there are fewer kids on board. My cruise in October, there were 2. Yes, 2. So everyone other than 2 people were fully vaccinated. There were no cases that I know of.

I am not super Covid conscious, having had Covid (delta) in August of last year, and having gotten a 4th booster last week, but I did and will again plan to avoid crowded areas. I spend most of my time either outside or in my room. I personally don't eat a lot in the main dining room, and if I do, it's usually more at lunch that at dinner. The nice thing about the Oceanview Cafe is that you can eat there for dinner, and I would often take my food out to the Sunset Bar or up to the Rooftop Terrace and eat outside.The food in Oceanview Cafe is really quite good, especially if you like Indian food. If you eat in main dining, ask the servers when it is least busy and eat then, since you can eat whenever you want. I don't really go for the shows - I prefer seeing shows at home. I did watch a couple of movies on the outside screen.

I really am not super worried going in May. I think I will do the same as I did last time, and try not to worry about it.

At the moment, everyone we know has something respiratory. We all tested with the rapid test and were negative. It is notoriously false but no one was seriously sick and it's allergy season.
I just dont want symptoms when we get to the dock. We are getting vaxx #4 a month before we go in July. If we hadn't of cancelled we would be on the Wonder right now. I retired after 36 years the Dec before covid. 😥 No more delays, we need to get away. The only thing I'm afraid of on the ship is the Roto/Noro virus. Hand to mouth transmission is still the biggest route. Wash, wash, wash your hands and alcohol in between. Yesterday I went shopping and forgot to bring a mask! It was a very strange feeling after two years!

Most sailings are short but the upcoming Hawaii is 10 nights. I will be N95 ing indoors and hope for the best

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter