Iger's return getting extended?

-Journey of Water was announced in 2019

The project was in the concept artwork shown in 2016. They just rebranded it Moana (Chapek) in 2019 and stuck in a Te Fiti topiary.

The original Disneyland was built in one (1) year. And this was way back in the mid 50s, when "modern" construction methods were unavailable.

EPCOT Center was built in three years too .... on swamp land.

Anyway they better get to announcing something soon if they want to offer "fast growth" in Parks & Resorts. Universal will have their Texas regional park and EPIC Universe done before Disney gets a new land built.

The project was in the concept artwork shown in 2016. They just rebranded it Moana (Chapek) in 2019 and stuck in a Te Fiti topiary.
Do you have a link to that, furthest back I’ve found on any concept art from the blogs for the current work at EPCOT was the announcement at D23 2019.

Do you have a link to that, furthest back I’ve found on any concept art from the blogs for the current work at EPCOT was the announcement at D23 2019.

Bob Chapek showed it in 2017 at D23. So, the next year after he announced EPCOT was getting reimagined.
Kind of interesting, Jim Shull posted the original site plan for the reimagining in 2022.

Attachments

• epcot-future-world-concept-art-tn.jpg
    epcot-future-world-concept-art-tn.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 4

Journalist Kara Swisher (an Iger ally), thinks it's ABC (the broadcast channel) he's going to dump.

I find that a little hard to believe. Who could even own it? It's going to be pricey.

Fox can't. Universal can't. Warner is struggling. Apple doesn't want a legacy business. Microsoft seems to want to focus on the enterprise. Jeff Bezos?

Go to any post were people are talking about bad viewership numbers or box office numbers. There will be at least a half a dozen Pixie Dusters to chime in and quickly explain away any perceived bad performance.

I mean today in the George Lucas thread I was told that many highly artistic endeavors lose money, so commercial success was not an accurate measurement for how good steaming content was. I mean it won an Emmy, so it doesn't matter that the streaming numbers were in the toilet.

When you are in the movie business and your last 8 releases lost nearly a billion dollars......there is no sugar coating that. It ain't good. And the movies aren't getting better. Indiana Jones just flopped. And I doubt Haunted Mansion will bring in much.

The bigger problem is these people have no interest in changing. They double down. Just like Iger today blamed poor park attendance on it being hot. IT'S FLORIDA! Every summer is hot in Florida! It's been hot in July at WDW every year. That didn't keep park-goers away before!

That signals to me that the leaders of this company are lost. This company has no rudder. They won't even admit with what is clearly wrong. I guess they don't care if the next 8 movies lose another billion dollars. They will just blame it on audiences not being woke enough. And then blame climate change for poor park attendance.

The bigger problem is these people have no interest in changing. They double down. Just like Iger today blamed poor park attendance on it being hot. IT'S FLORIDA! Every summer is hot in Florida! It's been hot in July at WDW every year. That didn't keep park-goers away before!
every time i hear someone use the excuse of it being hot for one of the reasons why there may be in decline in attendance, i laugh.

We got married near the end of June in 08, and honeymooned at disney, we've also spent some a lot of time at disney in July and August, its always been hot in those months. That's not a new thing. I'm not sure why that's being used as an excuse by some people.

Everyone I know that typically go to Walt Disney World or Universal Studios are renting houses at the beach or going on a cruise this year. They got their feel of it last year. Then you have the holidays parties that have become the thing to do in the fall also.

Here's a thought. It's hot outside. How about you stop closing the parks at 9 p.m. so people can enjoy them at night when it's cooler? What happened to e-Ticket nights? Evening magic hours? Perfect opportunity to do a 90's or retro ticketed event?

You want people at your water parks? Maybe they shouldn't have to take a bus to Disney Springs to get on another bus to Typhoon Lagoon when they're staying at Deluxe hotel. Why isn't Blizzard Beach open?

You might have to do more than the bare minimum this year to entice people to come during the slow months.

Last edited:
As far as park attendance being down currently, I think Disney is reaping the whirlwind of huge price increases, elimination of former perks, and dissing repeat visitors and AP holders. Plus the end of so-called revenge travel.

However, that being said, APs are on sale again, there are significant discounts currently available for resort stays, and one sorely missed perk for repeat visitors--the bounceback offer--has returned. Not to mention the end of charging guests to park at their resort, which happened months ago.

What will be restored next? Magical Express? This was a massively popular service. Major improvements to the G+ service to make it more affordable and maybe even more intuitive? Bring back Joe Rohde and put him in charge of a 5th gate? Insistence on the kind of tightly plotted story development that is the hallmark of every great Disney animated movie?

I'm waiting, Bob. Bring it on.

What will be restored next? Magical Express? This was a massively popular service.

They've got to address this. Mears announced this morning that they've bought out Sunshine Flyer. Disney needs to repartner with them and get this back.

The notion that people with little kids want to take ride shares from the airport is a joke. Trying to find an Uber or a Lyft with a car seat was a nightmare last September and my sister in law is not going to let her 1 year old ride in the back of a car on I-4 without one, regardless of Florida law.

"Disney has revealed that its super hero spy drama Secret Invasion is expected to be over budget as its costs have ballooned to $211.6 million (£166.2 million.)

The six-part streaming series stars Samuel L. Jackson and Oscar-winner Olivia Colman as rival agents trying to track down an army of shape-shifting aliens who have infiltrated the corridors of power."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/caroli...df4e754&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

This has got to stop.

"Disney has revealed that its super hero spy drama Secret Invasion is expected to be over budget as its costs have ballooned to $211.6 million (£166.2 million.)

The six-part streaming series stars Samuel L. Jackson and Oscar-winner Olivia Colman as rival agents trying to track down an army of shape-shifting aliens who have infiltrated the corridors of power."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/caroli...df4e754&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

This has got to stop.

It may as well have been a theatrical film release at that price!

It's been pretty good though.

It may as well have been a theatrical film release at that price!

It's been pretty good though.

Like all of them, it was a little slow to start but I'm enjoying it also—just can't see how it had a budget of $212 million.

Like all of them, it was a little slow to start but I'm enjoying it also—just can't see how it had a budget of $212 million.
The only thing I can think is the big action sequences and the locations. Agree that the budget has got to get under control and I think this is what Iger was speaking to about cutting back on MCU content.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes.

Remember that Hollywood was/is/will always be built on make-believe. That is, the "actors" convince the audience that they are someone other than who they are, and the story they portray is real.

It wouldn't be too great a leap of logic that those very same folks - actors, screenwriters, producers, directors - are quite capable of weaving that spell upon folks who happen to have money and might be captivated by the aura of it all.

Crudely put, the Hollywood crowd are but all con men who society has accorded hero status.

Sometimes it pays off, often it doesn't.

I just find it hard to believe Apple wants to wants to own a bunch of legacy media networks. It goes against their entire corporate ethos.

Amazon? or Bezos? Totally could see them acquiring ABC or FX.
Alphabet would be the other consideration. Having ESPN and other networks with YouTube TV without the whole carriage deal negotiations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter