I'm starting to soften toward Aulani

dianeschlicht

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
When I first heard DVC was going to build in Hawaii, I was elated! When I heard it was going to be on Oahu, I was deflated. Then when I heard it was going to be at Ko'Olina and not easy to get to from the other parts of the island, I was skeptical. HOWEVER....After seeing the videos and pictures of the newly open resort, I'm starting to soften to the idea.

Our next Hawaii trip is planned for fall of 2013 as part of our 45th anniversary celebration. We are taking our family along, so will be looking for accommodating 6 people. Aulani points are high, and if I want to use an exchange for the other week of the trip, it will be a lot of points. I first thought I would use VRBO for the other islands, but I have not been finding it easy to find the right number of beds for our group. It looks like timeshares are still the best option for that, so I'm back to looking at an RCI exchange for the second week. I still wish they had built Aulani on a different island....:upsidedow

So how difficult does everyone think it will be to book at Aulani in the future at the 7 month window?

I think the chances of getting an Aulani villa at the 7-month window are 'decent.' Definitely not improbable (like VWL in early December), but definitely not a virtual guarantee (like SSR or OKW in mid September).

Although Aulani will be a large resort -- it will have 460 villas once it is completed in 2013 -- there are some factors that may work against you in securing a villa at the seven month mark:

Aulani is being opened in phases, so not all 460 villas are available at this time. Phase 1, with 73 villas, is already open; Phase 2, with 123 villas, will open on November 15, 2011. Phase 3, with the remaining 264 villas, won't open until some time in 2013. Depending on the timing of your trip in 2013, not all 460 villas may be available for bookings.

Declarations: Regardless of how many Aulani villas are completed and ready for occupancy, only the percentage of villas declared for the DVC inventory can be booked using Vacation Club points. If only 30% of the resort has been declared, then only 138 of 460 villas can be booked each night using points. I have no idea how much of Aulani has been declared, so I don't know how many of the 73 villas in Phase 1 can be booked by DVC members at this time.

Possible delays in Phased opening: One knowledgeable source stated that Hawaii timeshares commonly open in phases. If sales are slow, then a phase can be delayed until sales pick up. Disney actually moved up the opening of Phase 2 from early January 2012 to November 2011, which I hope is a sign that there is strong demand for Aulani. But Disney could easily postpone the opening of Phase 3 until 2014 or later if sales weaken.

Views and accommodations: 460 villas sound like a lot of inventory. But Phase 1 has only 4 Pool View villas and only 8 Standard View Studios or one-bedrooms. As with any DVC resort, your chances of getting a villas improve if you can be flexible in the type of accommodation and view you will accept. Here is a chart from DVCNews that shows the number of villas by Phase and view:

0001Bh.jpg

One more factor that can affect the seven month window: Can anyone predict the Hawaii bookings and what times will be busy or slow? The foreign market -- such as with Golden Week in late April and early May -- might create a much different booking demand than what we are use to at WDW. We might see that the Japanese owners at Aulani use their points at Aulani at a greater percentage than WDW resort owners do at their home resorts, resulting in more villas being booked during Aulani's home resort period.

In the past few weeks, I have read several posts from others saying they were successful at getting an Aulani villa at 7 months. In fact, I've yet to hear that anyone was unsuccessful in booking a villa. So that might be a good sign for us non-Aulani owners who want to book a stay at the resort.

My wife and I are hoping to get a studio for September 2012 and we are already counting down the days until the seven month window opens in February 2012.

Good luck in getting what you want!!

We were one of the lucky ones. :woohoo: We booked an Island View Studio at the seven month mark for next April.

We used our BWV points and we are so excited to get to spend our anniversary at Aulani, because this is the main reason we bought into DVC to begin with. We knew we wanted to celebrate it in Hawaii and we just used the money earmarked for that hotel stay towards our DVC purchase.

The bonus is that we have stayed at BWV for seven nights already, we are staying at OKW & BWV this week and will be staying at AKV for seven nights in January.

I think the disaster in Japan might have had an effect on the availability that helped us. I think as time goes on it may become harder to book at the seven month mark.

Good luck as you make your plans. I hope it works out for you. :)

We booked Feb 3-12 just last week. We couldn't get a standard view, but those are pretty limited so we got an island view. I don't think you'll have a problem at 7 months for a fall visit. Traditionally, Hawaii is most crowded from Dec 20-Jan 2 with New Year's being the busiest. Next busiest is the Spring Breaks and when colleges get out for the year though I'm not sure how those are now with the downturn in travel.

Good luck :thumbsup2

I for one don't think it will be too difficult to book at 7 months but perhaps view choices might be limited. And Fall would be a time of least concern.

No difficulty for us at 7 months out...got a one-bedroom SV right at the 7 month mark for 12/3-12/10. Looks like most people on here have had luck from what I've read recently.

Another option....buy Aulani pts when sales resume!:thumbsup2 Then you have 11month booking window ;)

We were able to book a 1BR ocean view for mid April at the 7 month mark.:banana: I think you'll have a good chance!!!

Me too! I actually have never been nor was it ever on my list - maybe it's the whole hate flying/too far, etc.

The more reports I read and the more pictures and videos I see, I know I will be planning a trip sometime in the future.

I understand how all of you were successful with booking this first year, but I'm concerned about booking 7 months going forward. I'll likely have to book two studios to conserve points so I'll have enough for an RCI exchange as well.

My experience with that side of Oahu is limited but I do know it's a time problem for seeing the other attractions on the island. We will have 3 in the group who have either never been to Hawaii or don't remember much about it, so we will want to make sure they take in those things that we have come to think of as common and routine. Also, it's been 8 years since our last Hawaii trip, and that time we spent limited time on Oahu and only did Pearl Harbor and an around the island drive. We did see where Ko'Olina was at that time, but of course, Disney was not there yet.

I understand how all of you were successful with booking this first year, but I'm concerned about booking 7 months going forward.

I suspect you are right: Seven-month success rates during this first year may be quite different than in future years.

I believe there is a lot more demand for Aulani now than before it opened, and I think the demand will grow in future months. Aulani has been getting a lot of good publicity since its opening. Almost everyone who wanted to go to Aulani before it opened probably still feels that way, and many who thought they would never go to Hawaii are changing their minds. I don't think there has been any really negative comments about Aulani that would dissuade someone from planning a stay. If $33 for a refillable drink cup would cause someone to rethink a trip to Aulani, then I doubt that person was seriously wanting to go to Aulani in the first place.

If $33 for a refillable drink cup would cause someone to rethink a trip to Aulani, then I doubt that person was seriously wanting to go to Aulani in the first place.

And they dropped the price to $18 or $19 so that won't be keeping them away any longer either. :rotfl:

I think it depends on the economy and gas prices. When gas prices are low, airfare is low. When the economy is up, people have money to spend. When gas prices are low and the economy is spinning like a top - I think Aulani will be challenging to book. When one or the other is "off," I think it will be marginally difficult. And when the economy is bad and gas prices are high, I think Disney will be giving Aulani rooms away.

Since I suspect our economic woes are far from being resolved, I don't think you'll have a problem. I kind of hope you do, because that will mean our troubles aren't as bad as I think they are.

We went to Aulani just after labor day. (It may have been my video that you saw posted here).

We booked exactly 7 months out at 9am when the phones were turned on in Celebration. At first we booked 10 nights, then shortened that to 7 nights. We still had to book two seperate rooms and move after the first day because of limited avails. But we were on a stand-by list and we eventually got the same room for all 7 nights.

While we were there the DVC section seemed busy.

Hawaii travel is a bit more recesion independent in my opinion. It's not a budget vacaction. You're either going or you're not, regardless of fluctuations in the economy. Plane tix are very expensive, and every thing in Hawaii is expenseive.

Regarding the size of the island....Oahu is not large. We drove to the north shore (the opposite side from Aulani) and it took less than an hour (on a Sunday, don't attempt during rush hour). Most of the traffic, population, and main roads are all near Honolulu, and once you get away from that it gets rural quickly, most roads are just two-lane roads around the outside of the island, and traffic can be slower.

I can say this....we will definitely be going back. Absolutely. Yes, it's way more money overall than a trip to Florida, but wow, it's Hawaii. Paradise. A massive upgrade from a weekend at Vero Beach!!!!

Regarding seasons, the points charts don't really indicate major seasonal changes, because, hey, it's Hawaii. Plus, the majority of visitors we saw were NOT Americans. They are mostly Japanese, and then Americans, then a few Austrailians. Between those 3 cultures there will be plenty of demand all year long.

We went to Aulani just after labor day. (It may have been my video that you saw posted here).

We booked exactly 7 months out at 9am when the phones were turned on in Celebration. At first we booked 10 nights, then shortened that to 7 nights. We still had to book two seperate rooms and move after the first day because of limited avails. But we were on a stand-by list and we eventually got the same room for all 7 nights.

While we were there the DVC section seemed busy.

Hawaii travel is a bit more recesion independent in my opinion. It's not a budget vacaction. You're either going or you're not, regardless of fluctuations in the economy. Plane tix are very expensive, and every thing in Hawaii is expenseive.

Regarding the size of the island....Oahu is not large. We drove to the north shore (the opposite side from Aulani) and it took less than an hour (on a Sunday, don't attempt during rush hour). Most of the traffic, population, and main roads are all near Honolulu, and once you get away from that it gets rural quickly, most roads are just two-lane roads around the outside of the island, and traffic can be slower.

I can say this....we will definitely be going back. Absolutely. Yes, it's way more money overall than a trip to Florida, but wow, it's Hawaii. Paradise. A massive upgrade from a weekend at Vero Beach!!!!

Regarding seasons, the points charts don't really indicate major seasonal changes, because, hey, it's Hawaii. Plus, the majority of visitors we saw were NOT Americans. They are mostly Japanese, and then Americans, then a few Austrailians. Between those 3 cultures there will be plenty of demand all year long.

Was This your first Hawaii trip? I am well aware of the size of Oahu, but also, if you are used to going to any of the other islands, Oahu definitely is the least "Hawaiian" of all the islands. Oahu traffic is the problem on that island as far as getting around to the popular Oahu attractions. To me, Oahu (with the exception of the Ko'Olina area is nothing more than a big city with a lot of people in a small area. If you have been to Kauai or Hawaii, you would understand why I had concerns about Aulani.

But, as I said in my op, I am being swayed by the look of Aulani, and I'm going to try to get in at the 7 month mark if possible.

To the poster who said I should just buy an Aulani contract....No thanks. I do NOT need to have any more maintenance fees than I already have with my three contracts.

Was This your first Hawaii trip? I am well aware of the size of Oahu, but also, if you are used to going to any of the other islands, Oahu definitely is the least "Hawaiian" of all the islands. Oahu traffic is the problem on that island as far as getting around to the popular Oahu attractions. To me, Oahu (with the exception of the Ko'Olina area is nothing more than a big city with a lot of people in a small area. If you have been to Kauai or Hawaii, you would understand why I had concerns about Aulani.

But, as I said in my op, I am being swayed by the look of Aulani, and I'm going to try to get in at the 7 month mark if possible.

To the poster who said I should just buy an Aulani contract....No thanks. I do NOT need to have any more maintenance fees than I already have with my three contracts.

Yes, first trip to HI. Not sure what makes Oahu the least Hawaiian, other than that it's more populated in the Honolulu area. I think maybe you mean the rest are just more undisturbed, and I'm sure very beautiful. Strange that you'd say Oahu is nothing more than a big city, as Honolulu is the only area that's really like a city, where most people on the island live, and the rest of the island is 90% rural....some parts extremely rural. In fact, the highways out of Honolulu start to change to regular two lane roads less than 10 miles outside the city center, then you occasionally see little towns and military bases, etc.

I can't imagine Aulani on the other islands just because it would be even harder to get to. At least where it is now you fly into a major airport, get a car or transport like in Orlando, then drive out of the city to a nice area 30 miles away. You still have modern conveniences (if you want them) of shopping centers, Starbucks, etc

Yes, first trip to HI. Not sure what makes Oahu the least Hawaiian, other than that it's more populated in the Honolulu area. I think maybe you mean the rest are just more undisturbed, and I'm sure very beautiful. Strange that you'd say Oahu is nothing more than a big city, as Honolulu is the only area that's really like a city, where most people on the island live, and the rest of the island is 90% rural....some parts extremely rural. In fact, the highways out of Honolulu start to change to regular two lane roads less than 10 miles outside the city center, then you occasionally see little towns and military bases, etc.

I can't imagine Aulani on the other islands just because it would be even harder to get to. At least where it is now you fly into a major airport, get a car or transport like in Orlando, then drive out of the city to a nice area 30 miles away. You still have modern conveniences (if you want them) of shopping centers, Starbucks, etc

Interesting that you think Aulani would be more difficult to access if it was on a different island. I disagree. Driving on the other islands (and we have had rental cars on all the major islands) is definitely easier on the less crowded ones. Granted, there are several islands where it's easy to get on some pretty shall we say "rustic" roads, but a lot easier to drive and explore than Oahu. Each island has several populated areas, but none are quite as populated as Honolulu. The Lahaina area of Maui comes closest to that, but still not a city setting.

I know there are plenty of "rural" areas on Oahu, but they are still heavily populated and traffic is definitely an issue. Most of the Oahu traffic is from the airport and around to the northeast side and again down the middle of the island. The portion of the island Aulani is on is relatively lightly populated.

I think the reason I said Oahu was the least "Hawaiian" is because the high rises etc. prevent you from enjoying the true nature of the islands. I saw a recent photo of Waikiki beach from the sea, and the beautiful old PINK Royal Hawaiian Hotel was so tiny next to all the big new high rises. It is true that you wont find all the familiar fast food chains and Starbucks as much on the outer islands, but in my book, that's a good thing. Our last trip, we stopped at a local farmer's market on Kauai and bought some wonderful produce for our meals in our timeshare in Princeville.

Having just returned from Aulani, and having been to Maui before too, the Aulani is MUCH more Maui-like than Waikiki-like. It's truly wonderful! We are even planning a trip back in May (gotta pre-empt those 7-monthers) to get some more fill of the place! It's just that awesome! Really, when you are in Ko'Olina, you might as well be in Maui. But then you have all of the wonderfulness of Oahu at your fingertips, too. As for traffic, we didn't hit any except when we went to Waikiki. Sure, it's not as rural as Kuaui, but the Aulani is really true to "old Hawaii" more than any other that I now know of... Since the Royal Hawaiian was remodeled (a shame).

Having just returned from Aulani, and having been to Maui before too, the Aulani is MUCH more Maui-like than Waikiki-like. It's truly wonderful! We are even planning a trip back in May (gotta pre-empt those 7-monthers) to get some more fill of the place! It's just that awesome! Really, when you are in Ko'Olina, you might as well be in Maui. But then you have all of the wonderfulness of Oahu at your fingertips, too. As for traffic, we didn't hit any except when we went to Waikiki. Sure, it's not as rural as Kuaui, but the Aulani is really true to "old Hawaii" more than any other that I now know of... Since the Royal Hawaiian was remodeled (a shame).

I agree that Aulani would be more like Maui than the rest of Oahu. The traffic though, keeps it part of the Oahu feel. I'm not one who feels the "wonderfulness of Oahu". I can do Oahu in 2 days and be happy as long as I spend the next 12 on another island.

Yes, it's a shame they remodeled the Royal Hawaiian. What a wonderful historic marvel that was and I guess is to a degree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter