image post processing

Scott,

Great pic! Do u find with lightroom that the fill light setting increases noise a lot? I'm always afaidcto use it. I also feel that I always overuse the recovery setting but it just appears to help so much with some blown out shots.

I never really mess with the luminance settings. I have always been Adair to go there to.

Do u have any opinions or suggestions?

Increasing Fill light doesn't seem to bring out too much noise. I think that increasing Exposure brings out noise more though. From what I've seen anyway. And I personally don't care for Recovery too much; but that's mainly when i use it for daytime pics. I might use it a tiny bit here and there; but I like turning down brightness, and sometimes Highlights to fight those problem areas.

And although you're a little afraid of it, turning down Luminance can help get rid of overbright areas. (i.e. Turn down Blue to get a nice rich sky). But I adjust the luminance settings all the time; but maybe that's just me.

But just playing around with the different settings is a great way to learn. Just pick a pic you don't really care about, and just go crazy!!!! Or if you can't think of how to tackle a pic, post it here. I'm sure myself or others can help guide you. ;)

Increasing Fill light doesn't seem to bring out too much noise. I think that increasing Exposure brings out noise more though. From what I've seen anyway. And I personally don't care for Recovery too much; but that's mainly when i use it for daytime pics. I might use it a tiny bit here and there; but I like turning down brightness, and sometimes Highlights to fight those problem areas.

And although you're a little afraid of it, turning down Luminance can help get rid of overbright areas. (i.e. Turn down Blue to get a nice rich sky). But I adjust the luminance settings all the time; but maybe that's just me.

But just playing around with the different settings is a great way to learn. Just pick a pic you don't really care about, and just go crazy!!!! Or if you can't think of how to tackle a pic, post it here. I'm sure myself or others can help guide you. ;)

Thanks Scott. I will do that tonight. I appreciate it.

Scott, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you posting your LR3 settings and walking us through some of your choices. I have found it really helpful.

I've been relying on increasing exposure to lighten my photos but will experiment with the fill a little more on my next batch.

Many thanks!

Scott, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you posting your LR3 settings and walking us through some of your choices. I have found it really helpful.

I've been relying on increasing exposure to lighten my photos but will experiment with the fill a little more on my next batch.

Many thanks!

No Problem!!!!! I hope other people share their process as well though.

But Exposure and Fill Light work in different ways. Fill Light will mainly lighten up shadowed areas. And Exposure (which works similar to Brightness) lightens/darkens the entire picture.

No Problem!!!!! I hope other people share their process as well though.

But Exposure and Fill Light work in different ways. Fill Light will mainly lighten up shadowed areas. And Exposure (which works similar to Brightness) lightens/darkens the entire picture.

Thanks Scott. I'll play with both when I process my next batch and see if I can see that difference.

One more question. Your photos always seem amazingly sharp. Do you do anything in particular you do to accomplish that, either in your setup for the shot or in PP? I've seen you post that you use the 18-135 kit lens and have added the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I know that Sigma is really sharp, but you post really sharp stuff with that kit lens too. Do you just have crazy steady hands or what?

Thanks Scott. I'll play with both when I process my next batch and see if I can see that difference.

One more question. Your photos always seem amazingly sharp. Do you do anything in particular you do to accomplish that, either in your setup for the shot or in PP? I've seen you post that you use the 18-135 kit lens and have added the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I know that Sigma is really sharp, but you post really sharp stuff with that kit lens too. Do you just have crazy steady hands or what?

I don't do anything special camera-wise... besides hold super steady. But I do sharpen the pics some in PP. You can also get the appearance of sharpening by boosting Clarity a little. But recently, I found that adding Clarity to pictures of people doesn't really have a nice effect.

I don't do anything special camera-wise... besides hold super steady. But I do sharpen the pics some in PP. You can also get the appearance of sharpening by boosting Clarity a little. But recently, I found that adding Clarity to pictures of people doesn't really have a nice effect.
How much do you typically sharpen them in LR3? Do you boost sharpening with people at all? Just not clarity?

How much do you typically sharpen them in LR3? Do you boost sharpening with people at all? Just not clarity?

The default is 25, but i'll usually go to around 50. For shots of people, I'll usually go a little less. I use LR2, but I'm assuming that LR3 is similar. I don't have any real science behind those numbers though. Just after a while, those were what I was comfortable with.

I had a few people ask me about my processing recently so I thought I'd share an example or two.

While I'm using several different programs throughout the workflow, the one with the greatest effect to the final result is Color Efex Pro. It's a collection of plug-in filters for Photoshop, Lightroom, or Aperture.

Here's the original frame. Initially I was going to create a silouette effect of this shot. Once I started processing I realized that all of the foreground and background elements were too distracting.

extinctorig by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

-----

In order to pull more information from the underexposed areas and try to hold some of the sky highlights, I created a psuedo HDR by making exposure adjustments of -2ev and +2ev to the orignal file and then combined them all in Photomatix.

The Extinction of Pleasure Island1 by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

-----

From here I added the Pro Contrast and Tonal Contrast filters to the skeleton and foreground area, and Bleach Bypass to the skeleton only in order to bring out both texture and contrast.

The Extinction of Pleasure Island2 by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

-----

I then added Polarization, Skylight, and Low Key to give me some richer tones in the sky.

The Extinction of Pleasure Island3 by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

-----

And finally I used Darken/Lighten Center to focus the viewers eye on the skeleton, cloned out the supporting post, ran it through noise removal and added the black frame with the Vignette filter for this final result.

The Extinction of Pleasure Island4 by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

Rawr!

Another example of how much texture you can pull out of an image with Color Efex pro.

Here's the original after cropping.

TOL2 by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

-----

I then added Pro Contrast, Glamour Glow, and Low Key for the deep, soft light effects

TOL3 by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

-----

In order to bring out the texture in the scene I painted in some Tonal Contrast and Bleach Bypass. The Bleach Bypass also helped me to lower the saturation.

TOL4 by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

-----

And finally I hit it Polarization, Darken/Lighten Centre and Vignette for the frame.

tol5 by Uncle_Greg, on Flickr

I have the free trial of lightroom 3 and am considering buying it, if you are a teacher you can get a great discount on Adobe web page. (orginal price of $299- teacher discount is for $99.) My question is who makes the best book to read up on how to use lightroom. i have been playing around with it and have no idea what i am doing. but I did process one picture. Here it is.

011.jpg by adidas97, on Flickr

My question is who makes the best book to read up on how to use lightroom. i have been playing around with it and have no idea what i am doing.

Look for Scott Kelby's book. His books are always top notch and easily understood.

I have the free trial of lightroom 3 and am considering buying it, if you are a teacher you can get a great discount on Adobe web page. (orginal price of $299- teacher discount is for $99.) My question is who makes the best book to read up on how to use lightroom. i have been playing around with it and have no idea what i am doing. but I did process one picture. Here it is.

011.jpg by adidas97, on Flickr

Through AcademicSuperstore.com and JourneyEd.com you can get Lightroom 3 with a student/teach discount for $89.95. I have ordered from both of them before and had good luck.

I've found that fill light can definitely bring out the noise, but it all depends on your camera, the colors in your photo, the starting ISO level, etc... you are essentially "pushing" the exposure in the dark areas, so any noise that was there to begin with will be brought out, along with the other details that you did want to recover. Still, it's a vital tool; I use it in a big percentage of my photos. The much-improved noise reduction in LR3 helps me feel that much more confident about using it liberally when needed.

Now, I've got a photo for the thread... I usually lean towards a more realistic, less saturated photo than some of the posters here, which means less post-processing. This shot, for whatever reason, inspired me to take it farther than most of my other shots. (The fact that it won't be there next time I visit helps, too!)

Here's how it looks out of the camera, with only a very, very minor crop and tilt adjustment. The WB is "as shot", 5050/+13, and the rest is my "standard" import preset that I apply to all photos - +28 Contrast, +7 Clarity, +16 Vibrance, +42 sharpening.

First step was to do something about the white balance. This was shot with an old pre-AI Nikkor 105mm F2.5 (yes, mounted on my Pentax K-5 - I like to mix things up sometimes ;) ), which tends to skew the WB a little bit; plus being in the shade and then having the reflection in the sun didn't help. I used the WB dropper and basically ended up with a "cloudy" WB - 6500/+12.

WDW2011-356-002.jpg

Better, but still too dark. After some fiddling, I settled on Fill Light of 26, Blacks of 5, Brightness of 57, and Contrast of 26.

WDW2011-356-003.jpg

Still better, but I decided to amp up the contrast and saturation. Vibrance went to 33 and saturation to 10. One trick that I have found can really give a "pop" without going too over the top is to adjust the tone curve direction; in this case, Lights went to 52 and Darks to 24. Highlights and Shadows remain at 0. This brings out the middle of the photo nicely, giving it some fullness without losing detail in the bright or dark areas.

WDW2011-356-004.jpg

I was happy with the colors but the composition was still leaving me a little flat. There was too much business in the background, and what you could see was confusing to the eye - it didn't make sense if you didn't know already what you were looking at. I decided to give this a big vignette, to really emphasis the mirror. To that effect, in post-crop vignetting, I ended up with -100 Amount and 36 Midpoint and 53 Feather. The Highlights slider did some nice things to the scrollwork in the lower right, but also brought up an area in the upper left that was floating all alone, so I left that at 0. The vignetting also allowed the higher saturation to not look quite as distractingly unreal IMHO, too.

After all that, here's the final image:

Snow White's Scary Adventures mirror by Groucho Dis, on Flickr

Groucho, thank you so much for the detailed walk-through on all that. The final image is top notch!

I'm really enjoying this thread. Please keep it all coming everyone!

I love :love: Lightroom. First I have to give a big thanks to Scott for starting this thread and demonstrating some of the great things Lightroom can do. And to get me over my fear of processing. I reprocessed this shot...

Disney_2010_1303.jpg

To get it to look like this...

SSEwithfountainnight-1.jpg

Beautiful, Colleen!

Question for those of you who use Lightroom: is it worth buying if you are shooting in Jpg? My camera doesn't support RAW. :sad2:

Beautiful, Colleen!

Question for those of you who use Lightroom: is it worth buying if you are shooting in Jpg? My camera doesn't support RAW. :sad2:

Oh, absolutely! You can do all these same post-processing adjustments with JPEGs, as well as RAW photos. So later on, when you do buy a camera that shoots RAW, your post-processing workflow won't be much different.

In addition to post-processing, you can use Lightroom to catalog & organize your photos. Post-processing and cataloging are the 2 most-important features of Lightroom.

btw, what camera do you have that doesn't shoot RAW? :confused: (unless it's a point-and-shoot)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter