Imagine Key Blockout dates for 2024

It depends how many times you will use it. If I try to book a 5 day park hopper, it costs $475. Will you go to the park five of the block out dates in the year that you have the pass? Or will you choose non blockout dates and go then instead?

Non-blackout dates. The only cost then is $20 a day for Genie+ and whatever the parking fee is (free if I go for Inspire).

The only exception would be if my sister plans a 3-day trip with a reservation at the Grand Californian. If I'm blacked out for that window I might be willing to drop money on a multi-day hopper, but generally I'd go for one-day turnarounds or 3-day mini-vacations while staying at a Holiday Inn or something.

At present, the plan is to wait and hope a Key sale happens before 2023 is over. If it does, I will go for Enchant. If I can't get Enchant but Believe is available I will probably settle for that and adjust my itinerary to include more trips to get my moneys worth out of it. If I can't get either or a sale doesn't happen I will drop the money on Inspire, use it as much as I can, then switch to Enchant or Believe when Renewal time comes around.

Disneyland is never giving up the Key revenue. What Disneyland could do is just sell the top Key or the top 2 keys. Disneyland will always do a cost benefit analysis when anything is concerned. Also by restricting sales of the Keys, Disneyland controls attendance of the Keys and they are never giving that up.

Agreed. Growing up, we used to always get the deluxe annual pass as out-of-staters because it worked out to be cheaper for the 2 visits per year. It worked really well for us, on top of the 10% discount. The passes are a great deal comparatively, but the blockout dates no longer work for us even at the highest tier.
This is us. We were pass holders for 20+ years and had an enchant key for the first year they came back. We ended up not renewing since the blackout dates even for the highest priced key don't work for us. I really wish they'd have one non-blackout key/pass. We go 2 or 3 times a year for 4-5 day trips, but they are always on popular weekends or over the holidays. I'd be happy with a pass that gave me 10-15 days a year without blackouts or maybe a reverse locals pass (i.e. must live 300+ miles away or something like that).

This is us. We were pass holders for 20+ years and had an enchant key for the first year they came back. We ended up not renewing since the blackout dates even for the highest priced key don't work for us. I really wish they'd have one non-blackout key/pass. We go 2 or 3 times a year for 4-5 day trips, but they are always on popular weekends or over the holidays. I'd be happy with a pass that gave me 10-15 days a year without blackouts or maybe a reverse locals pass (i.e. must live 300+ miles away or something like that).

That honestly sounds like a really interesting idea for an alternative approach to the Key system, simply giving each Key holder a certain number of park entries for the year, with more entries allowed for the higher tiers, say maybe 3 for the Imagine key, 5 for Enchant, 8 for Believe, etc. The secondary benefits like discounts and parking would still vary from Key to Key, but it would likely be more financially lucrative to Disney to only allow a certain number of entries for each Key holder, and further entries beyond that would require a ticket until the next cycle begins (but your discounts would still be usable and you'd still have access to the MK Terrace).

The tradeoff would be that those Key entries are good for any day with no days blacked out, even for the lowest tier.

Last edited:
While it makes sense, it's also funny because the parks aren't that busy. It's a strange time to do this when all I see this doing is having less people in the parks

Disney needs to find ways to get people back in the parks, every minute a person is in the parks they might spend money and keeping people out when your not replacing them with paying customers is just to me strange.
Last week was PACKED-packed. Because the Imagine Keys were back and there were still a fair amount of late-summer tourists about. We went Wednesday and Thursday and it was very busy both days. RSR refurb really mucks up DCA lines, too.

Last week was PACKED-packed. Because the Imagine Keys were back and there were still a fair amount of late-summer tourists about. We went Wednesday and Thursday and it was very busy both days. RSR refurb really mucks up DCA lines, too.

I would assume the park crowds calm down a bit once kids are back in school? Or is that a false hope?

I'd rather have the option of picking when I can go for a limited amount of visits per month versus block out whole months.
I'm a relaxed pass holder, I've never opened/shut down the park since being a Key holder.
The value of the parks is not worth the price of a park hopper or one day/one park ticket as a local, imo.
If they ever decide to get rid of lightening lane, then I'll consider the park value to be back to normal.
The Imagine key is an affordable option for locals, and I hope they never get rid of it.
If they want to keep locals from buying them, they would get rid of it and make a SoCal Ticket offer that is enticing.

No they can't survive. They learned that really quickly after they reopened from the covid closures. Do you not remember how slow that summer was and how quickly they rushed the Magic Key program to resume?

The vast majority of Disneyland visitors are NOT vacationers dropping $10k.

The average local family of 4 with Inspire Keys is dropping at least that much if not FAR more per year. Just the passes alone is $6500.
We will agree to disagree on that, Disney can survive without discounting their product so heavily.

That is PER trip, not over a year. That is just our family, taking two trips per year comes to 18-22K and I know several people similar who spend that if not more.

Most passholders are going there for several hours, maybe spending $75-$100 on dinner or activities when they visit each week. MAYBE. Lets say they visit every week except blockout weeks, so 51 weeks per year. Between $3800 and $5100 + $6500 is anywhere from 10K-12K per year. Again, this is MAYBE. We know that not everyone who has a pass will spend that on average. Catering to out-of-town vacationers is where the money is.

So you see - when looking down at the lowest cost Magic Key and saying that a family of 4 spending $449 each ($1796 for a family of 4) are less deserving of being able to go their finite amount of days to the $1599 each pass that can go many more days ($6396 for a family of 4) is kind of silly when comparing to the BIGGER spenders which is primarily non-locals.

Even more crazy, the highest tier pass is just below $5.00 per day based on the amount of days open to them. Again....that is DIRT cheap.

Lightening Lane and Genie + will never be eliminated. DIsneyland makes plenty of money from it. Those visitors who use LL and G+ get extra flexibility and their wait times are reduced.

Blackout dates will always exist. Disneyland will never allow people to pick when they want to go vs. blackout dates and whole months being blackouted.

Disneyland is a business. No visitor whether local or out-of-town is entitled to anything.
Money is money and Disneyland wants money.

If you have an Imagine pass and you pay $450, you cannot expect to have no blackout dates or have prime access during the summer and holiday season.

Disneyland has generous So Cal ticket promotions and if you do not want to use the promotion that is your choice. If you do not want to pay for a one day park ticket which can be as low as Tier 0 and $104, stay home.

Last edited:
Lightening Lane and Genie + will never be eliminated. DIsneyland makes plenty of money from it. Those visitors who use LL and G+ get extra flexibility and their wait times are reduced.

Blackout dates will always exist. Disneyland will never allow people to pick when they want to go vs. blackout dates and whole months being blackouted.

Disneyland is a business. No visitor whether local or out-of-town is entitled to anything.
Money is money and Disneyland wants money.

If you have an Imagine pass and you pay $450, you cannot expect to have no blackout dates or have prime access during the summer and holiday season.

Disneyland has generous So Cal ticket promotions and if you do not want to use the promotion that is your choice. If you do not want to pay for a one day park ticket which can be as low as Tier 0 and $104, stay home.
Who are you talking to with this comment?

General comment on the category. I have previously discussed tickets, promotions and the like. Not directed at anyone specifically. This thread has discussed all of the items I mentioned. This is a message/information board/forum/
If I was talking to someone specifically. I would have hit the quote button and replied. People have attacked me on these boards for my comments and I do not do that. I was commenting generally. There have been numerous commenters on this thread that have mentioned black out dates and promotions and locals and out-of-towners.

Last edited:
We will agree to disagree on that, Disney can survive without discounting their product so heavily.

That is PER trip, not over a year. That is just our family, taking two trips per year comes to 18-22K and I know several people similar who spend that if not more.

Most passholders are going there for several hours, maybe spending $75-$100 on dinner or activities when they visit each week. MAYBE. Lets say they visit every week except blockout weeks, so 51 weeks per year. Between $3800 and $5100 + $6500 is anywhere from 10K-12K per year. Again, this is MAYBE. We know that not everyone who has a pass will spend that on average. Catering to out-of-town vacationers is where the money is.

So you see - when looking down at the lowest cost Magic Key and saying that a family of 4 spending $449 each ($1796 for a family of 4) are less deserving of being able to go their finite amount of days to the $1599 each pass that can go many more days ($6396 for a family of 4) is kind of silly when comparing to the BIGGER spenders which is primarily non-locals.

Even more crazy, the highest tier pass is just below $5.00 per day based on the amount of days open to them. Again....that is DIRT cheap.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing. Disney's own actions here are proof that they need the Magic Key program in order to be profitable. When they don't offer it, the locals DO NOT buy multiple one day tickets every time they want to visit each year. Disneyland has metrics on guest spending in all categories. The vast majority of vacationers to Disneyland DO NOT stay on property. Disney doesn't get to capture their hotel revenue, and much of their dining revenue (they eat offsite for many meals). This is not a vacation destination like WDW is.

When they reopened after covid, before they announced the keys, my family bought two set of 2 day hoppers. It was so expensive for those few days that we were like, "we're done with that." We love visiting often, but without the perk of an annual pass, the psychology of dropping $700/day (tickets, parking, food) was enough to deter us from going frequently. We had gotten used to not going to Disneyland after it remained closed for 14 months. We are not the only ones who felt this way. Disney noticed the people were just not coming. That summer was dead. They were not even hitting their self imposed capacity numbers.

As soon as the keys were announced, we bought the highest tier ones. The monthly payment option means we pay $533/month for our passes. It's a "set it and forget it" scenario. I don't think about that $533. It's a bill on autopay. I also don't think about the $200+ we spend once or twice a week while there. We don't just go for one meal. We are there for 2 meals plus snacks plus alcoholic drinks, plus random merchandise like pins and clothing. They get a LOT of money from us and it's like death by a thousand cuts. This is our entertainment budget. Once or twice a year, we book the Grand Californian for a staycation. Just booked 3 nights in December at over $900/night after taxes. And I know for a fact that we aren't even considered high spenders by Disney. There are passholder families who hire a VIP guide every time they come. We are small beans compared to those types.

If I sat down and added up all the Disneyland related charges throughout the year, I might pass out. It doesn't make sense that spending $700 per day 4 or 5 times was so hard for me to swallow and spending tens of thousands every year as key holders doesn't phase me. I can't explain it, but it's a real thing.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing. Disney's own actions here are proof that they need the Magic Key program in order to be profitable. When they don't offer it, the locals DO NOT buy multiple one day tickets every time they want to visit each year. Disneyland has metrics on guest spending in all categories. The vast majority of vacationers to Disneyland DO NOT stay on property. Disney doesn't get to capture their hotel revenue, and much of their dining revenue (they eat offsite for many meals). This is not a vacation destination like WDW is.

When they reopened after covid, before they announced the keys, my family bought two set of 2 day hoppers. It was so expensive for those few days that we were like, "we're done with that." We love visiting often, but without the perk of an annual pass, the psychology of dropping $700/day (tickets, parking, food) was enough to deter us from going frequently. We had gotten used to not going to Disneyland after it remained closed for 14 months. We are not the only ones who felt this way. Disney noticed the people were just not coming. That summer was dead. They were not even hitting their self imposed capacity numbers.

As soon as the keys were announced, we bought the highest tier ones. The monthly payment option means we pay $533/month for our passes. It's a "set it and forget it" scenario. I don't think about that $533. It's a bill on autopay. I also don't think about the $200+ we spend once or twice a week while there. We don't just go for one meal. We are there for 2 meals plus snacks plus alcoholic drinks, plus random merchandise like pins and clothing. They get a LOT of money from us and it's like death by a thousand cuts. This is our entertainment budget. Once or twice a year, we book the Grand Californian for a staycation. Just booked 3 nights in December at over $900/night after taxes. And I know for a fact that we aren't even considered high spenders by Disney. There are passholder families who hire a VIP guide every time they come. We are small beans compared to those types.

If I sat down and added up all the Disneyland related charges throughout the year, I might pass out. It doesn't make sense that spending $700 per day 4 or 5 times was so hard for me to swallow and spending tens of thousands every year as key holders doesn't phase me. I can't explain it, but it's a real thing.

I agree @DLgal.

My recent trip from 8/9 to 8/16 trip to Disneyland staying at GCH Woods Courtyard view did not cost $10K. I was able to take advantage of Disney's 2023 summer sale and I booked my reservation in late January. Probably I spent half that amount. I bought food and souvenirs and collectibles on top of that. Value is always subjective.

I am sure I am not considered a big spender by Disneyland standards.

I enjoyed my trip immensely and it was worth every penny.

I live in New York, Long Island and I have been to WDW in 2021 and 2022. Disneyland is a much better place to visit. The people - travelers from out-of-town and the locals are so much nicer than in WDW.

I do not think people who live locally really appreciate what they can have by going to Disneyland as a Key holder.

My recent trip was my first visit to DL since 2019 and was my first trip after the pandemic. Yes I went to Florida and WDW but I drove with family members and stayed at a family's member big home in Florida. I had the opportunity to get discounted tickets. I enjoyed WDW but Disneyland is so so much better.

The 6 hour flight from JFK to LAX and the car service ride to ANaheim is so so worth it.

Honestly, if I was a local, I would be a Key Member and probably get the one with 365 day access. I used to have a Signature Plus Pass back in the day even living in NY.

I am planning my 2024 trip to Disneyland and I say it will be worth every penny.

Last edited:
Who are you talking to with this comment?
General comment on the category. I have previously discussed tickets, promotions and the like. Not directed at anyone specifically. Not directed at you at all. This thread has discussed all of the items I mentioned. This is a message/information board/forum. You did start this thread and start the conversation.

If I was talking to someone specifically. I would have hit the quote button and replied. People have attacked me on these boards for my comments and I do not do that. I was commenting generally. There have been numerous commenters on this thread that have mentioned black out dates and promotions and locals and out-of-towners.

@joseph821

There isn't a Key that offers 365 day access anymore. The Dream Key did, but after the lawsuit, it was retired. We would have it if it existed.

Trust me, I know how lucky we are to live so close to Disneyland and be able to go whenever we want. We don't take it for granted. We have been passholders every year since 2001 except for 4 years when we had to live in VA. I missed Disneyland every day we were gone. The first thing we did when we moved back was buy annual passes. For real, we hadn't even moved into our rental yet. We were still in a hotel while we waited for our moving truck to arrive, and we went to Disneyland and bought passes the day after we arrived. 😆

@joseph821

There isn't a Key that offers 365 day access anymore. The Dream Key did, but after the lawsuit, it was retired. We would have it if it existed.

Trust me, I know how lucky we are to live so close to Disneyland and be able to go whenever we want. We don't take it for granted. We have been passholders every year since 2001 except for 4 years when we had to live in VA. I missed Disneyland every day we were gone. The first thing we did when we moved back was buy annual passes. For real, we hadn't even moved into our rental yet. We were still in a hotel while we waited for our moving truck to arrive, and we went to Disneyland and bought passes the day after we arrived. 😆
@DLgal

Did not know about the Dream Key.
I know you and others appreciate being Key members. My comments on appreciation were in general and not directed toward you specifically.
Funny about the moving truck.:)

I would have or get a Key but it makes no sense for me now. Cheaper to get a WDTC package with hotel and 5 day park hopper with Genie and then get a 3 day park hopper with Genie for the balance of days for Disneyland trip. Plus going to Disneyland Paris in late Spring.

Last edited:
Where is your evidence that locals don't appreciate the parks? Or is this directed at locals that can't afford a higher end pass?
I do not need evidence. This is just my opinion and a comment. If I needed evidence, I would get it. FYI, I am a licensed attorney. Just a general comment and where do you get that my comments are directed at locals that cannot afford a hgher end pass? Show me where I said that. I NEVER mentioned locals that cannot afford a higher end pass. Show me where I said that. I just mentioned that Disneyland wants money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter