Imagine Key Blockout dates for 2024

Where is your evidence that locals don't appreciate the parks? Or is this directed at locals that can't afford a higher end pass?

You seem really stuck on the idea that people here are thumbing their noses at people who can't afford Inspire keys. No one here has said anything at all to that effect. We are discussing the general notion that better access costs more money. That's it. That is how the world works. No one is looking down on anyone else.

The original post seems to be complaining about the lack of access for the absolute cheapest Magic Key. That would be like me complaining that my basic economy ticket on any airline doesn't get me preboarding, a champagne welcome drink and a hot towel. It is a nonsensical complaint.

I do not need evidence. This is just my opinion and a comment. If I needed evidence, I would get it. FYI, I am a licensed attorney. Just a general comment and where do you get that my comments are directed at locals that cannot afford a hgher end pass? Show me where I said that. I NEVER mentioned locals that cannot afford a higher end pass. Show me where I said that. I just mentioned that Disneyland wants money.

Disneyland has generous So Cal ticket promotions and if you do not want to use the promotion that is your choice. If you do not want to pay for a one day park ticket which can be as low as Tier 0 and $104, stay home.
It was my opinion based on the general disdain ppl are showing lower income passholders on this thread. Glad to hear that is not the case.

Along the lines of appreciating what you have, when we go on vacation, we often envy those who can take advantage of what we need to travel to see. After a week in DC, we were only able to see a very small fraction of the museums and historical sites. For us, it was a five hour flight and costly hotel stay. We envied those who live locally and can go (for free) whenever they want.

Last edited:
It was my opinion based on the general disdain ppl are showing lower income passholders on this thread. Glad to hear that is not the case.
Stop putting words in my mouth. I did not mention pass holders, I mentioned a price and you do not have to pay it. I did NOT mention or say anything about lower income passholders. I commented on how generous DL is with their pricing and that if you do not like it, don't pay and stay home.

Last edited:
You seem really stuck on the idea that people here are thumbing their noses at people who can't afford Inspire keys. No one here has said anything at all to that effect. We are discussing the general notion that better access costs more money. That's it. That is how the world works. No one is looking down on anyone else.

The original post seems to be complaining about the lack of access for the absolute cheapest Magic Key. That would be like me complaining that my basic economy ticket on any airline doesn't get me preboarding, a champagne welcome drink and a hot towel. It is a nonsensical complaint.
Was it a complain tho? OP even mentioned that they are gonna upgrade. It was just an FYI post. And then folks started wishing lower end passes would be fully removed.

I did not mention pass holders, I mentioned a price and you do not have to pay it.
You don't need to respond to my comment twice.

And in fact, you are right! I do not pay for a MK because it doesn't make sense for me at this current time.

Was it a complain tho? OP even mentioned that they are gonna upgrade. It was just an FYI post. And then folks started wishing lower end passes would be fully removed.

Fair enough. I read it as a complaint. People can complain and then spend more money anyway. I do it all the time. Whenever I see the phrase "final straw", I imagine there is some bitterness or resentment attached to the situation.

Fair enough. I read it as a complaint. People can complain and then spend more money anyway. I do it all the time. Whenever I see the phrase "final straw", I imagine there is some bitterness or resentment attached to the situation.
That is how I read it too but whatever I am moving away from this!! Take care and have a great day to all.

Along the lines of appreciating what you have, when we go on vacation, we often envy those who can take advantage of what we need to travel to see. After a week in DC, we were only able to see a very small percentage of the museums and historical sites. For us, it was a five hour flight and costly hotel stay. We envied those who lived locally and could go (for free) whenever they wanted.
I get it when I travel I feel the same. When people come to visit and stay with me and go into Manhattan...they get amazed that I can go anytime. I agree I was born in NYC and I have had it all my life and sometimes I forget that!

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I wonder if there are any former pass holders like me... As mentioned above, we have been going to Disneyland regularly for the last 25+ years, most of those as pass holders. We live in Northern California and have always stayed at the Grand (first in hotel and then as DVC members when it opened). We averaged 3-4 trips a year for 4-5 days and although we didn't do VIP tours every day we spent a lot of $$$ each trips. Before the pandemic we were Signature Plus pass holders as we typically spend every other Christmas at the parks. But due to the blackout dates on passes we decided not to renew our MK after the first year. So rather than look for any excuse to plan a Disney trip to use our passes, we have cut back on our trips significantly. I suspect going forward we will do one to two trips a year rather than the three or four. So Disney has lost at least half our high-spend business by not offering passes without blockout dates. IOW they lost our "we need to break even" trips. Without a pass, it makes it much easier just to do something else. As a pp alluded to above, for me there is a mental jump with buying expensive tickets every time that that isn't there when you have the pass.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I wonder if there are any former pass holders like me... As mentioned above, we have been going to Disneyland regularly for the last 25+ years, most of those as pass holders. We live in Northern California and have always stayed at the Grand (first in hotel and then as DVC members when it opened). We averaged 3-4 trips a year for 4-5 days and although we didn't do VIP tours every day we spent a lot of $$$ each trips. Before the pandemic we were Signature Plus pass holders as we typically spend every other Christmas at the parks. But due to the blackout dates on passes we decided not to renew our MK after the first year. So rather than look for any excuse to plan a Disney trip to use our passes, we have cut back on our trips significantly. I suspect going forward we will do one to two trips a year rather than the three or four. So Disney has lost at least half our high-spend business by not offering passes without blockout dates. IOW they lost our "we need to break even" trips. Without a pass, it makes it much easier just to do something else. As a pp alluded to above, for me there is a mental jump with buying expensive tickets every time that that isn't there when you have the pass.
I totally agree. I had Signature Plus Pass. It had no blackout dates. I live in NY on Long Island and Disneyland is a 6 hour cross country flight for me. I just came back from an 8 day/7night trip to DL with a GCH stay Woods Courtyard room. I got a 5 day park hopper with Genie Plus that cost me $405 from WDTC package with hotel. I additionally bought a 3 day park hopper for $350 directly from Disneyland on the website. My tickets were total for 8 days with Genie $755. If I had a pass, I would not worry about the tickets. When I had the Signature PLus, I went 2 or 3 times a year. Now it is once a year. I go elsewhere. Disneyland really needs to smarten up a little bit really. Offer more days on the keys/passes maybe for additional money like say you have an Imagine Key and want more access in December which is blocked out to you. If you wanted say 3 additional days in that December, make an extra $100 for the 3 days. That is cheap but would give flexibility and I am sure that Key holder would spend money too. It seems to me that is Disneyland needs to offer flexibility a bit more if it wants more money. I would love to go Christmas time like from Dec. 23 to January 1..but no pass allows that. Yes I could go get a WDTC package but why? I can go elsewhere.

That makes sense, but according to Disney's last financial quarter, DL revenues were the same and slighter higher than last year. Theme parks and hotels bring in the money. If they can have the same or higher revenue with less people attending that means less cashiers and food workers - less operating expenses. Yes Disney needs the Key people but it wants the revenue. The parks are busy. I was there for 8 days from August 9 through the 16th....it was not packed but there were people at the parks. Not as crowded as in the past in August but the place was not packed but not empty.

The passes are cheap and CA residents can pay monthly!! DISNEYLAND provides many offers and options where the Key passes are concerned. On top of that the special ticket promotions geared toward So Cal and CA residents, Disneyland does a good job reaching out to its base. Blackout dates are part of the equation. People need to get a Key that works for them. You cannot expact Disneyland to give Prime day and season access to everyone. Disney gives it to those who want to pay for it.
If Disney is ok with Slightly higher profits, then great

I feel like the parks are slow because yeah they want them to be but they are missing out on money by wanting to limit how much they spend as long as they make profits.
If i was Disney, I'd want the parks packed with people who basically have to buy your food, might buy merch and many will buy Genie Plus.

The fact they aren't selling out of Genie Plus to me....is just insane. That is something that cost you NOTHING and you should find a better price point or get more guests in to make free bank on that

I feel like the parks are slow because yeah they want them to be but they are missing out on money by wanting to limit how much they spend as long as they make profits.
If i was Disney, I'd want the parks packed with people who basically have to buy your food, might buy merch and many will buy Genie Plus.

The fact they aren't selling out of Genie Plus to me....is just insane. That is something that cost you NOTHING and you should find a better price point or get more guests in to make free bank on that
I AGREE. Genie is not selling out. Fastpass used to be free. I think Disney is all about controlling cast member costs and operating expenses now.

I totally agree. I had Signature Plus Pass. It had no blackout dates. I live in NY on Long Island and Disneyland is a 6 hour cross country flight for me. I just came back from an 8 day/7night trip to DL with a GCH stay Woods Courtyard room. I got a 5 day park hopper with Genie Plus that cost me $405 from WDTC package with hotel. I additionally bought a 3 day park hopper for $350 directly from Disneyland on the website. My tickets were total for 8 days with Genie $755. If I had a pass, I would not worry about the tickets. When I had the Signature PLus, I went 2 or 3 times a year. Now it is once a year. I go elsewhere. Disneyland really needs to smarten up a little bit really. Offer more days on the keys/passes maybe for additional money like say you have an Imagine Key and want more access in December which is blocked out to you. If you wanted say 3 additional days in that December, make an extra $100 for the 3 days. That is cheap but would give flexibility and I am sure that Key holder would spend money too. It seems to me that is Disneyland needs to offer flexibility a bit more if it wants more money. I would love to go Christmas time like from Dec. 23 to January 1..but no pass allows that. Yes I could go get a WDTC package but why? I can go elsewhere.
Glad to know I'm not alone :) I do feel that the out-of-towners who take multiple trips a year over busy time periods such as December/January have been left out by the new business model. I hope they adjust in the future to bring us back into the fold :) I never got the feeling that the signature plus pass was a popular one, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Do we want Genie+ to sell out tho?

On one hand, sure more profits for Disney. But for all guests it seems better that it doesn't sell out. Those who buy it get their money's worth of quick lines and those that don't (be it for budget, or because they have MKs or any other reason) don't experience super long wait times.

To me, it seems like it works well at DLR because there are a lot of ppl that don't buy it.

Do we want Genie+ to sell out tho?

On one hand, sure more profits for Disney. But for all guests it seems better that it doesn't sell out. Those who buy it get their money's worth of quick lines and those that don't (be it for budget, or because they have MKs or any other reason) don't experience super long wait times.

To me, it seems like it works well at DLR because there are a lot of ppl that don't buy it.
Guest wise

No

I'm saying a business Disney seems to be leaving money on the table.

If I was Disney if having my hotels/parks not full is making as much as a full park then something seems off

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter