International a Gateway to close 11/27 to 12/17?

They probably know it will cause a huge uproar whenever they announce it, and maybe want to wait as long as possible to make a formal announcement. I'm sure the phone lines will be going crazy. We're staying at BWV for a week long family reunion during this time and it will be really upsetting/inconvenient if true. They'll need an Epcot bus sitting at each resort and at the Epcot bus stops to make it even remotely acceptable. Wishful thinking though.

They probably know it will cause a huge uproar whenever they announce it, and maybe want to wait as long as possible to make a formal announcement. I'm sure the phone lines will be going crazy. We're staying at BWV for a week long family reunion during this time and it will be really upsetting/inconvenient if true. They'll need an Epcot bus sitting at each resort and at the Epcot bus stops to make it even remotely acceptable. Wishful thinking though.

Agreed. I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to be reasonable about this. I understand the gondolas are happening (not a fan but it's happening) and some construction is required -- and they need to complete it safely and efficiently. I'm hoping they try to meet us "halfway" and perhaps create a temporary entrance/exit behind World Showplace (or elsewhere in WS) that can provide expedited entrance/exit -- those who usually work the IG entrance/exit presumably still need hours for these ~3 weeks -- as opposed to directing all Epcot Resort guests to the front entrance. Or a significant reduction in nightly room rate.

If true, I really hope they are planning accordingly.

Yeah, that's unfortunate and I would be upset if happening during my stay too. This is equivalent to the monorails being closed for 3 weeks, they are taking away one of their touted forms of transportation.

Sadly, I don't think Disney will offer any kind of discount due to this. They will most likely just bus everyone to front entrance. Bummer. :(

Here's the reply from the Disney Signature Services folks at Yacht Club. Guess they haven't been told anything new yet either.

Bryce (Disney)

Oct 14, 1:28 PM EDT

Good Afternoon Jeanne,
Thank you for contacting Disney Signature Services! At this time, we have not been made aware of any operational changes to Friendship Boat service or International Gateway access to Epcot during the dates you've provided. If there were to be any changes in the future, our partners at Disney's Yacht Club Resort would try to send advanced communication prior to your arrival.
Should you have any further questions or need any assistance, please reach out to us daily from 9 AM to 5 PM EST by email .....
Have a magical day!
Bryce
Disney Signature Services

I'm crossing my fingers. I wasn't affected but know earlier this year there was a somewhat similar example at the Animal Kingdom Lodge where they announced the closure of their pool "at the last minute" where it was too late for most guests to change their plans. Clearly not quite the same but still a fairly significant resort amenity.

THIS^

And that is key and how Disney operates.

Like when they have a hotel full of Free Dining guests and announce the food court will be closed just after the deadline to change your reservation. Disney is not going to open a window that would leave a hotel with lots of empty rooms. Folks called for a long time after the rumor slipped out, not one employee knew anything about it. You can not bank on any info you get back from CM when asking a question that Disney has not put in motion to be announced. Even if they know, if not green lighted they won't tell you, just play dumb.

Is it true? Don't know yet but as stated at some point the cables have to go up.
Can they protect boats? Much more difficult and likely not an expense they'd take on for a short closure.
Can they protect walkers? Yes if they want, which I could see them doing to keep gate open.
Will they? Hmmm, with the gondola that gateway has to be expanded,
it could be they'd close it a short time to adjust it while putting up cables.

Last edited:

I wonder if it will not be a full closure of International gateway. So what I mean by that is it might be closed from 2PM-9PM each day or something along those lines. Just a thought.

That would be much more palatable and workable. Great idea! Though hope they’d allow for guests to exit after Illuminations.

I wonder if it will not be a full closure of International gateway. So what I mean by that is it might be closed from 2PM-9PM each day or something along those lines. Just a thought.

They could avoid closing the gateway altogether if they want. Gondola cables can go up in about a week total. If Disney wanted, they could do that portion overnight and splice the cable together after securing the cable above the walkway. Or even just divert the walkway around the Gondola station and close the boat dock.

They could avoid closing the gateway altogether if they want. Gondola cables can go up in about a week total. If Disney wanted, they could do that portion overnight and splice the cable together after securing the cable above the walkway. Or even just divert the walkway around the Gondola station and close the boat dock.
Oh I know just offering a possible thought about the possible closure.

Oh shoot! I sure hope this does not come to pass. We are at the Dolphin during that time period. I grabbed a great senior rate so we could ride the boats to EPCOT and The Studios. My husband does not "enjoy" the buses and this will not be good news for us :( I have not received anything from The Dolphin about this.

I can understand them needing to enlarge the IG... and to string up cables for the gondolas... There will be a HUGE influx of people using the IG once the gondola is running, and especially after the new Riviera resort and Star Wars opens.... But to close everything down entirely while there are not as many guests using it would be pretty extreme.... boats... maybe, but the entire IG? Bad move. Bad feelings. Many many complaints.... Many unhappy guests.

Oh shoot! I sure hope this does not come to pass. We are at the Dolphin during that time period. I grabbed a great senior rate so we could ride the boats to EPCOT and The Studios. My husband does not "enjoy" the buses and this will not be good news for us :( I have not received anything from The Dolphin about this.

The Swan and Dolphin have already confirmed that all Friendship Boat service will be suspended from Nov 28 - Dec 18. If you go to Marriott's website and look up rates for a room at either of those hotels the message below displayed. I have also called the front desk of the Swan and the rep confirmed the boat service closure is accurate. I asked about access to the walking paths and she speculated that they may not be accessible either but I would need to call back closer to the date to find out for sure. I am so sorry! We are staying at Yacht Club/Beach Club and specifically booked these resorts for the walking access to HS and EP (we also do not like the busses). Just wanted to give you a heads up the boats are out for sure from Swan/Dolphin.

Friendship Boat Service.jpg

Here's the reply from the Disney Signature Services folks at Yacht Club. Guess they haven't been told anything new yet either.

Bryce (Disney)

Oct 14, 1:28 PM EDT

Good Afternoon Jeanne,
Thank you for contacting Disney Signature Services! At this time, we have not been made aware of any operational changes to Friendship Boat service or International Gateway access to Epcot during the dates you've provided. If there were to be any changes in the future, our partners at Disney's Yacht Club Resort would try to send advanced communication prior to your arrival.
Should you have any further questions or need any assistance, please reach out to us daily from 9 AM to 5 PM EST by email .....
Have a magical day!
Bryce
Disney Signature Services

"Please be aware that as of tomorrow, your arrival date, the International Gateway will be closed. To ensure you don't miss a minute of the magic, bus service will be provided, enabling guests to enter the front of EPCOT, an experience we have received great interest from guests. Please note, there will be not additional charge for this extra bit of pixie dust!"

The Swan and Dolphin have already confirmed that all Friendship Boat service will be suspended from Nov 28 - Dec 18. If you go to Marriott's website and look up rates for a room at either of those hotels the message below displayed. I have also called the front desk of the Swan and the rep confirmed the boat service closure is accurate. I asked about access to the walking paths and she speculated that they may not be accessible either but I would need to call back closer to the date to find out for sure. I am so sorry! We are staying at Yacht Club/Beach Club and specifically booked these resorts for the walking access to HS and EP (we also do not like the busses). Just wanted to give you a heads up the boats are out for sure from Swan/Dolphin.

View attachment 358406

Weren't they closed from those resorts before due to bridge work? Maybe it is more of that work which will only impact the Solphin ... that note doesn't specifically state that IG is closed, just that Friendship Boat service would be suspended

View attachment 358406
Well, it is what it is. Thanks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter