Internet packages on RCCL

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide which internet package to buy before our trip. It looks like you have to buy the whole cruise, not just per day. It says anywhere from 1 to 4 devices, with 4 obviously being the best deal.

Does anyone know if your devices have to all be in the same stateroom or can you share within your party between rooms?

Also, how is the internet? Is it like being at home or is it slow? How much can we do? Is it unlimited?

Is it reliable or does it drop periodically, like DCL's internet does?

If I get it for the boys, do I risk them sitting there watching YouTube all cruise?

Also, does the internet work on Labadee or only on the ship?

The single device package means that you can have one device connected to the internet at one time. So you could connect, do your stuff, then log off and one of your kids could then connect.

There's always a risk of kids watching stuff on their devices whenever they're connected. My kids are the same.

I think they switched to StarLink, but it was pretty reliable on the bigger ships before that.

We have our first cruise with Royal next August, but I saw the current sale on the internet package. From what I've read, the best deal is to get it for one person with four devices. The one person who has the package will create a user name and password, but anyone in any cabin can use the login info. We have five adults in three cabins, so i think we'll be okay with sharing. My understanding is that four people can be on their devices, and if the fifth logs on, one of the four will be booted off. I only want it to play a few word games and scan work emails, and I can do that in the morning while at least a few of them are still asleep.

Oh! I thought it would be tied to the first device that logs in. Like I'd need one for my phone and another for my ipad. That's good to know!

We were on Harmony of the Seas a couple of weeks ago and the wifi connection was always pretty good. There was just one hour on day 3 where it was down but they got it back up pretty quickly.

We were Star Class so 1 device per person was included for us.

When we went on Wonder of the Seas last Thanksgiving, we bought the 2 device package for 1 person and DH and I split it.

UPDATE:

Just back from our trip. Ship internet did NOT work on Labadee, but if you are willing to "Roam" with your cell provider, you could try that. I found that I couldn't get more than a couple of bars for data, so it was a waste of a roaming fee for me, but I was able to download a book on my phone that I'd forgotten to do before getting off the ship.

The 4 devices mostly worked fine for my family (of 4), but once in awhile, someone would forget to log out of their device before logging in to another one, so when another one of us tried to get in, we ended up randomly kicking someone off. That was mildly annoying. Also, there were times when I was trying to log out, but it had been done for me. Kicked out by my family? Maybe. I don't know.

If you don't buy the internet before you get on the ship, there is a desk (on the Odyssey it's deck 5 by the Next Cruise desks) where you can purchase internet or get help with what you've bought.

I also noticed there was a single day surf and stream pass, for $28.99. Considering the whole cruise price is $25.99 for one device (if bought on board, $19.99 for each additional device up to 4), I suppose it could be worth it if you only wanted internet for a few days or if your cruise was port intensive.

The 4 devices mostly worked fine for my family (of 4), but once in awhile, someone would forget to log out of their device before logging in to another one, so when another one of us tried to get in, we ended up randomly kicking someone off. That was mildly annoying. Also, there were times when I was trying to log out, but it had been done for me. Kicked out by my family? Maybe. I don't know.
That happens to us a lot right now on the Princess cruise as well. It's the tradeoff for having more devices than internet packages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter