Intimidating Solo Trip....

I have a trip planned the first week of Dec and so far my family seems to be bailing out on me. I will have to drive to WDW by myself from NC...

I have never been there by myself and I'm not sure I can do it. I've always dreamed of seeing disney at Christmas time and wanted my family to see it too. I'm afraid that once I get there I'll miss them alot.

I'm nervous about this decision.

Any words of encouragement?

Thanks bunches :D

I would love to take a solo trip...... (esp with Dan Murphy) :teeth:

Everyone I have gone with could careless about all the tiny little ityy bitty details.... the stuff I live for.... they can only see the big picture..... ANd they love it.... yet I long to walk down Main Street and study every window..... And MGM.... ahh the detailing there is just Marvy..... Plus to stroll around AK and spend as much time as I WANT watching the street perfromers... Man oh man....

It helps that I am a talker.... lol I can start a conversation with anybody. And Disney provides you with so many things to talk about, esp while waiting in lines.... Ooooooooohhhhhh I cant wait....

My dream trip, would be walking around with Dan M.... taking photos, and chatting with complete strangers........ something my trips now, with the kids, dont seem to afford.... well I DO take A LOT of pictures of them... and I do talk to a lot of strangers, but mostly about what rides their kids loved or thought were scary... lol

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON FOR ME TO GO SOLO.........

Only going back to the hotel for a nap IF I wanted one!!!!!

Have fun!

This is my 7th solo trip to WDW! I can think of NO better way (solo) or place (WDW) to take a vacation! Everyone is SO friendly.

When I took my first solo trip about 12 years ago, I was a little daunted. But all the CMs were SO nice and I can honestly say I got asked out by a dog (the gentleman playing "Pluto" asked me out on a date)! The first couple of days I was really quiet and kept to myself - just doing the things I wanted. But gradually I spoke to other people, CMs at first and then strangers - and people were really nice and friendly.

I sort of started my own "Disney" tradition 4 years ago. I went to the Disney store and purchased 100 $1 Diney dollars. Then I wrote on them - a random act of kindness. I would give them to little kids I would see in restaurants or in stores that were either being especially good or looked like they needed a "break." I would ask the parent with them if it was ok before I gave them the dollar. I don't do it for thanks - just to see kids smile. It's a great thing and makes you feel good inside too.

Everyone's posts w/ advice is on-target. You'll have a GREAT time, enjoy everything, even if you experience a little problem now and then, enjoy it all. You may find a unique way to enhance your solo trip experience. Take care.

disneyispi---

You definitely know the feeling of disney *magic*....what a sweet thing to do for the children!!!

Your post has given me alot of encouragement in thinking that I could actually go solo too, thank you :)

disneyispi....your tradition is great.......

I can only imagine the expressions you receive not only from
the children, but from the parents.

"Solo to Disney" has got to be one of the best kept
secrets. So many people just don't realize the fun and enjoyment
Disney has on a solo traveler.

Thanks to all about my little "tradition". Yes, it brings me a warm and fuzzy feeling.....and I even feel a little magical.

What's even more unique is when one of the disney dollars I gave I received back from a disney store as change. Apparently, that particular bill had travelled quite a ways. Not only had my little note about "A random act of kindness from Culpeper, VA" been on the bill but each time it was passed on, that person wrote the city and state. I've framed the bill - it went to Disneyland, Paris, Georgia, S. Carolina, and ended up back in McLean, VA which is where I got it. So I gained a little bit of geography. Pretty cool eh?

Going solo to WDW is a wonderful experience!

That sounds cool!;) I would FLIP if that happened to me!:p :p Lauraberaz: That sounds like MY ideal trip!;)

Disneyispi, what a creative and magical tradition you have! I love it.

Tink10, I've done character meals solo, the best one was at Crystal Palace, and had a ball. The characters paid special attention to me and the CM took my photo using my camera.

I love offering to take photos for others. I think everyone should have at least one photo of their entire group, don't you? I love the little look of surprise and shock when I offer, then usually they gratefully accept the offer. It's a lot of fun.

I love touring wdw solo. In fact, I'll be there solo after my cruise in September. 9/22 thru 9/25. When will you be there? I'd love to meet you.

I had a great time on my solo trip! If you're there for more than a few days, you might want to consider meeting up with some people every now and then. Last time I went to MVMCP with some DIS folks, and did Epcot with the Passporter crew, which was just enough for me :) My main problem is that it gets a little lonely with nobody to crack jokes with or discuss what you're doing. So, seeing friends (that I'd never met before ;) )every day or two gave me someone to tell my stories to, and to have fun with. I loved having evenings alone though, I spent a lot more time back at the resort just relaxing, which I never get to do when Im staying with other people!

Hi,
I went solo to WDW from October 13 to October 20, 2000, the first time I'd ever gone alone where I didn't know anyone. I'd had a lot of misgivings about the trip because of mobility issues, for I do not drive.

I had the kind of blast you can't have with dynamite. Getting there from the Orlando airport using Mears, and using Disney transportation, I had no trouble getting around property during my eight-day, seven-night stay onsite at All Star Sports.

Though much of my vacation itinerary was planned (because of various Priority Seatings), I was able to secure one free day (Thursday, October 19, 2000) to go anywhere, anywhen I wanted. October 20, 2000, the day I came home, came too quickly.

In sit-down restaurants I felt fairly conspicuous as a solo diner, but I've found that most people are so into their own lives that they are unconcerned about the people next to them, to the extent of staring. As a person with cerebral palsy, I've been stared at enough to get used to it, although sometimes I feel like getting a t-shirt I saw in the local mall which says, "Keep staring. Maybe I'll do a trick."

I'd go solo again in a heartbeat. Solo travelers have the kind of freedom unavailable to couples, groups, or families. Because no one knows you (either when you're down and out, or even up and in), you can do and see things at your own pace.

If you have the opportunity for a solo trip to WDW, I say, go for it!!

Jim T.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter