Is Disney responsible for guest safety at DVC resorts . . . They don't think they are at Disney Springs . . . Come on Disney have some class

If it's on the guest then does Disney have to do anything? I mean why do they have to disinfect anything the guests can just be "super clean" or wash their hands. And Disney can let sick cast members work because its on the guest?
Why clean anything? To mitigate the risk. You cannot eliminate it but you can reduce it. But the guest is ultimately responsible for their own health and well-being when it comes to transmissible diseases. Disney cannot screen out the asymptomatic CV-19 guest. And that’s the guest that will infect you if you don’t exercise personal responsibility. It’s the guy 6 feet in front of you that rubbed his nose 10 minutes before touching the handrail that you just touched as you moved up in line. It’s not the woman who visited two weeks ago and touched the light switch in your room. CV-19 doesn’t live that long on surfaces.

With all due respect, Disney will be putting in safeguards to ensure that as best as they can, health and safety will be a priority.

You assume that Disney did this as an out to allow them to be negligent? I don’t think so.

Look at the guests who know expect Disney to pay them if the littlest thing goes wrong on a trip. I even see it now in posts that Disney owes guests something more than entitled Because the virus shut down parks,
To add to what you said, disclaimers like this don't nullify negligence. If Disney didn't put any reasonable protections in place and opened for business as usual, they could still be sued for negligence. However, they are putting measures in place in line with guidance from the health community. Those protections will only realistically go so far and therefore the guest is accepting some amount of risk by going on vacation.

Just want to be clear, if Disney staff "forgets" to clean a high-touch area for 2 weeks and people get sick, that's on the guest? If Disney employees come to work sick and guests get sick, that's not their fault?

What if this was Disney's policy related to everything, that is, guests at the resorts and parks assumed all risks all the time? Would you go, would you care?

I assume all high touch or low touch areas are contaminated and act accordingly. As should everyone else. Ultimately, we are all responsible for ourselves and for keeping ourselves and our family safe and healthy.

I don't worry that Disney won't do what can reasonably be done to mitigate the spread of the virus. It's in their best interests to do so.

If Disney parks are found to be a "hotspot", they will be shut down again and/or people will stay away and/or employees will refuse to work there. No one, especially Disney, wants that.

We are responsible for our individual actions and decisions. Not anyone else. I have no problem with their statement.

most places already have stuff like that in their fine print, even disney. they just added a specific disease. just like they arent responsible if you catch a cold or you trip on your shoe laces on their property.

disney is completely within their rights here. im sure a lot of other public placese, like arenas,etc will be doing the same.

Of course it’s our responsibility.
I’m confused why you think Disney should be responsible.
I don't mind sticking up for the minority point of view.

You don't think an enterprise the size of Disney making a disclaimer almost exactly the same as a two-bit parasailing outfit in Cozumel is classless? You can build one of the largest entertainment empires on the planet but you cannot offer any guarantee at all to your guests? Nothing!?

The disclaimer of liability is likely not permitted under Florida law in the first place. A business cannot obtain a lawful waiver for intentional acts,, of for willful, wanton, or reckless behavior. It's classless to even ask your guests to provide a representation you know to be unlawful.

If we all agree they're going to be sued anyway . . . why can't Disney say "look we're doing all we can and we need you to take some responsibility for yourself but if we do something wrong and you are hurt we will make it right"? Isn't this the expectation reasonable people bring to their every day lives?

Again, I don't mind being in the minority.

BTW, I think Gatorland and my local roller skating rink have the same COVID-19 policy.

You don't think an enterprise the size of Disney making a disclaimer almost exactly the same as a two-bit parasailing outfit in Cozumel is classless? You can build one of the largest entertainment empires on the planet but you cannot offer any guarantee at all to your guests? Nothing!?

The disclaimer of liability is likely not permitted under Florida law in the first place. A business cannot obtain a lawful waiver for intentional acts,, of for willful, wanton, or reckless behavior. It's classless to even ask your guests to provide a representation you know to be unlawful.

If we all agree they're going to be sued anyway . . . why can't Disney say "look we're doing all we can and we need you to take some responsibility for yourself but if we do something wrong and you are hurt we will make it right"? Isn't this the expectation reasonable people bring to their every day lives?

BTW, I think Gatorland and my local roller skating rink have the same COVID-19 policy.
if they are negligent, they are responsible. they very clearly said here a version of your "look we're doing all we can and we need you to take some responsibility for yourself." this does not say they are giving up all responsibility for anything.

Just want to be clear, if Disney staff "forgets" to clean a high-touch area for 2 weeks and people get sick, that's on the guest? If Disney employees come to work sick and guests get sick, that's not their fault?

What if this was Disney's policy related to everything, that is, guests at the resorts and parks assumed all risks all the time? Would you go, would you care?
You should probably not go.

So my family of 4 went through 2 bottles of hand sanitizer at Disney pre-Covid this past summer. Why? Because it is my responsibility. People jump to sue. I agree 100% with Disney on this proclamation that it's on you. What would you rather them say? "We are open and if your dumb @$$ with comorbidity risk factors contracts Covid and dies we will gladly award your family a half million dollars and a ticket to all Disney premiers going forward from date of death."

So, you think that opening Disney Springs is an act of willful, wanton, reckless behavior? Even if they are going above and beyond the guideline of state and local health departments?

There’s no reasoning with that kind of logic.

And I just edited out my subsequent thoughts.

So my family of 4 went through 2 bottles of hand sanitizer at Disney pre-Covid this past summer. Why? Because it is my responsibility. People jump to sue. I agree 100% with Disney on this proclamation that it's on you. What would you rather them say? "We are open and if your dumb @$$ with comorbidity risk factors contracts Covid and dies we will gladly award your family a half million dollars and a ticket to all Disney premiers going forward from date of death."
I never understand why folks make their point with a parade of horribles. Disney makes a small mistake and someone gets a gajillion dollars?! I assume Disney has better lawyers than that - DVC sure does.

Disney would be crazy to offer any sort of guarantee. That's ridiculous. No company would do that in this situation.

I'm not sure why you think Disney is dumbing themselves down by having a policy similar to other corporations. It seems to be a case of unreasonable expectations just because the name is Disney.

Isn't this probably a requirement for their liability insurance? and probably every amusement park's liability insurance at this point? I wouldn't even put blame on Disney for this - although I don't think this is a big deal - this is probably something they had to put somewhere.

Also - what exactly would be the definition of "class" in this situation?

I don't see the issue with this at all. This is how business works.
Walt Disney built the place as a response to how amusement parks were run. Before Disneyland amusement parks were dirty classless affairs. I believe the reason people love Disney so much is because it is not like other places; that it's not run like other businesses.

I do see your point, but I think we can expect something a little more from Disney. Something more then it's on you. We all get it that we must take some responsibility but this disclaimer goes too far.

Isn't this probably a requirement for their liability insurance? and probably every amusement park's liability insurance at this point? I wouldn't even put blame on Disney for this - although I don't think this is a big deal - this is probably something they had to put somewhere.

Also - what exactly would be the definition of "class" in this situation?
I suspect (but what do I know) that Disney self insures except for catastrophic losses. (Again) I suspect this is not from an insurance company but from Disney itself.

I never understand why folks make their point with a parade of horribles. Disney makes a small mistake and someone gets a gajillion dollars?! I assume Disney has better lawyers than that - DVC sure does.
If you attend a baseball game at Yankee stadium the back of your ticket warns you that you alone are responsible for paying attention so as not be struck with a batted/thrown ball or a broken bat causing injury or death even though they can put up screens pole to pole. And yet you are upset that Disney is declaring it isn't their fault for you contracting a disease from an invisible virus that we have no true knowledge of lifespan on surfaces nor whether antibodies make us immune? Seems completely logical.

I suspect (but what do I know) that Disney self insures except for catastrophic losses. (Again) I suspect this is not from an insurance company but from Disney itself.

Yeah I have no idea - a quick google search resulting in some dubious information but I think you may be right. Regardless - I don't think there is anything wrong with the statement itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter