• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it rude to hold a place in line waiting at entrance to park for another family?

It's not that big of a deal, but it is a bit inconsiderate to allow a large group to join in. If it were one or two people, that's fine really. Four is like borderline, but it happens all the time. Sometimes a gorup gets in line, then someone runs for coffee at Downtown Disney, etc. It happens all the time and it's not that serious. Personally, I choose not to let stuff like that bother me or spoil my day. Also, I'm usually right up at the gate, so, ha ha, whatever! 😁

"Any other adults" is a stretch for me.

If I see a grandparent or grandparents joining, I'll typically just assume they're older and slower moving and doing their best, not intentionally trying to be a jerk and skip the line.
No, I meant ANY other adults. We have visited with my parents and my dad is always trailing like half a mile behind us. We always wait for him to arrive near us to get in line or if we get in line and more people get behind us we let them go in front until he arrives. If we know we are slower we get up earlier. If we are in line and we lose a few family members they wait where they are. or we will move back with them and let others go in front.

It's frowned upon, but I don't get my jedi undies in a bundle over it. In fact, I was lined up at the gate with my DD, and my DW and DS wanted Starbucks coffee, so they mobile ordered while I held a place for them.

I think this question is all relative. If you have a smaller family, like 4 or less, it isn't a big deal. If you were part of a large family gathering whereby another 12 folks jumped in line, yeah I could see how that would stick in someone's craw.

I’ve seen some of the most nasty people at the front of the queues at the turnstiles. Body-blocking, yelling at their family to hurry, you name it. Imagine trying to let people in front of someone like that.

Last week when I was waiting for entry into Disneyland, a family of eight got in front of me. Two people had been waiting…then as I was just few groups away from getting through the turnstiles, a whole crowd of other family members joined these two people.

Yeah, I thought that was incredibly rude. At least they could have turned around and nodded thank you or something. Geeze. I didn’t say anything, as that stuff all comes around. Next time let your friends go through and then join them.

Last edited:

A whole family is definitely rude and should not happen. Those that say "no adult" I think is sad. In any line things happen and mom has to take the little one to the washroom, my FIL just had cancer surgery (almost 6 months ago) and sometimes needs to leave quickly. I don't think a family waiting in line and having an adult or an adult and a kid join should feel bad in ANY way. A family or a group is totally different.

No, I meant ANY other adults. We have visited with my parents and my dad is always trailing like half a mile behind us. We always wait for him to arrive near us to get in line or if we get in line and more people get behind us we let them go in front until he arrives. If we know we are slower we get up earlier. If we are in line and we lose a few family members they wait where they are. or we will move back with them and let others go in front.
Which is why I said it's a stretch FOR ME. As in, FOR ME, I don't feel that way. Sorry that you misunderstood.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at the entrance nearly as much as it does in a ride line!
Either way it is inconsiderate and wrong on so many levels. I believe that most people would be upset by others cutting in line. If you want the benefits of entering the park early then get up early and get to the park. This is just common courtesy and really should not be an issue but......

My general rule for the entrance line is your group in line should be greater in number than the people joining.

Note: we never do this at all as we always are all there are opening. This is about what I am going to get angry at.

This is my take on it. I don't actually care about people joining as long as the number is either less than the number already in line or was clearly a parent and child(ren) meeting up with another parent. I even have held spots for a single parent in line with a kid (and no other adult with them) that had a bathroom emergency in a long line.

I also do not judge if it's a single adult or two joining a larger party. I know emergencies happen. It's not worth getting upset over when I've seen it happen. I also don't care if ride line or entrance line.

But I do agree with others that a large number of people (and four feels like it's definitely large even if smaller than the party they're joining and would be on a case by case basis if I found it rude at entrance) joining is definitely something I would frown on.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at the entrance nearly as much as it does in a ride line!
If you think about it this way, it might bother you more.

Let’s say you’re delayed getting through the tapstyles at opening by a minute because a family of 4 gets waved over in front of you. Now think about the other people at the other tapstyles all getting through a minute before you. What if you’re all heading for the same ride. Now there are 30 people ahead of you in your ride line because you got delayed by budders.

If you think about it this way, it might bother you more.

Let’s say you’re delayed getting through the tapstyles at opening by a minute because a family of 4 gets waved over in front of you. Now think about the other people at the other tapstyles all getting through a minute before you. What if you’re all heading for the same ride. Now there are 30 people ahead of you in your ride line because you got delayed by budders.
I'm not going to let 4 people at the gate get me upset before I even get in the park. You can have different opinions on it. We are different people.

I'm not going to let 4 people at the gate get me upset before I even get in the park. You can have different opinions on it. We are different people.
What if the people who got to the gate ahead of you (via cutting) were selected for the party to officially open the park? That's long been a dream of mine which is why I will get up at 0-dark-30 to be the first at the turnstiles. Again, if some of my party isn't there, no biggie in the grand scheme of things as long as I'm there early.

That’s good. :thumbsup2
I’m not saying it should bother you.
It’s just something I think about. I wonder if others think like that at all.

I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it if someone did that in front of me, but I also wouldn’t do that to other people if it was a whole family. We did a trip with friends recently who wanted to rope drop so we just went in later and met up with them at a meal or ride. We do have 3 young kids though, and are definitely guilty of the bathroom emergency situation where one of us has to take a kid to the bathroom and come back in line, so I understand there are some situations where someone joins the line later. I swear, my son could’ve literally just gone to the bathroom before we got in line, and a minute before we’re about to board the ride he’ll have to suddenly go really badly again. Luckily CMs and other guests have been understanding of that situation, otherwise we’d waste a lot of time waiting in the same lines again.

I view the turnstiles differently than the queues. If my kids ran ahead while we were dealing with the stroller, those kids were told to WAIT where they are in line and let everybody else pass till we get to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter