• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it time to buy?

The 5th sleeper in the renovated 1 bed folds out from the TV unit. Exactly the same as Boardwalk / poly studios.
No. The fifth sleeper in the renovated one bedroom at SSR is like the one at Riviera, not BWV or Polynesian. Those are the bunk sized murphy beds like at BRV and BCV.

No. The fifth sleeper in the renovated one bedroom at SSR is like the one at Riviera, not BWV or Polynesian. Those are the bunk sized murphy beds like at BRV and BCV.
I thought the 5th at Riviera was also the same as the 5th at poly studio? The pull down replaces the sleeper sofa

The extra bathroom in the one and two bed units at BLT and Kidani is a game changer. We love AKV and are exceptionally pleased with how far our points go there.

Yeah, the new SSR renovations almost convinced us to add on at SSR before we decided that we wanted points we could use at Riviera. And btw, the resale restrictions do work, because it kept us in the direct family.
Honestly I think the resale restrictions are brilliant. Maybe Disney counted on the resort selling a little more slowly. Probably didn't count on selling during a pandemic though.

The most genius thing is that when things are back to normal, even if the price of resale plummets, Disney can exercise ROFR at a much lower cost for an inferior product and then sell those exact same points as a much superior product.

If a person buys direct, they pretty much have to continue adding on direct because resale points can't be used in the same way. If you buy resale, the chances of booking 0-7 months is not guaranteed like it would be with direct, not to mention you can't combine your points to use at other resorts.

Hello!!
I've been wanting to buy DVC for 8-9 mo now. Covid put things on pause but now I am looking again. I had convinced myself I needed to buy at copper creek originally. After looking again my thought it to buy more points at a lower price elsewhere. We are a family of 5 and would prefer 1 bedroom over studio. I know availability can be difficult. If I buy cheaper points at OKW, SS, or AKL how difficult is availability of a 1 br at 7 mo out? I love AKL so that would be a good bet but cheaper contracts are available at SS with very low dues. If we buy DVC I would love to try out a few different resorts including Vero and Aulani someday. Will I be able to book at beach club, poly, or wilderness lodge (either) with 1 BR at 7 mo window? We prefer to vacation jan-mar, but can be flexible. I am however, unsure that Saratoga is a resort that I would love - but can I get by without actually planning to stay there? Or for a safer bet get AKL or OKW? Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks!!
Poly only has Studio's and Cabins which are insanely expensive point wise. No 1 or 2 Bedrooms.

Honestly I think the resale restrictions are brilliant. Maybe Disney counted on the resort selling a little more slowly. Probably didn't count on selling during a pandemic though.

The most genius thing is that when things are back to normal, even if the price of resale plummets, Disney can exercise ROFR at a much lower cost for an inferior product and then sell those exact same points as a much superior product.

If a person buys direct, they pretty much have to continue adding on direct because resale points can't be used in the same way. If you buy resale, the chances of booking 0-7 months is not guaranteed like it would be with direct, not to mention you can't combine your points to use at other resorts.

I disagree.

The resale restrictions will eventually bite DVC in the ***. People will continue to need to sell their ownership does not matter if it’s direct or resale. Direct just takes a higher financial hit compared to resale. At some point new owners will be aware of this and DVC will need to do something.

Also direct owners are not guaranteed to be able to book 0-7 months either.

Resale points can be combined perfectly fine and be used at other resorts.

I've booked almost all my trips for 1BR at 6-7 months using SSR points, but I don't travel at peak times.

If I were buying points now for this plan, I'd go VGF. Very long contract, good value for money long term, resale value hit hard in recession, easy 11 month for sure, and that 1BR is the nicest on property.

If VGF is too much upfront, I'd take SSR over AKL or OKW, because of the value of the contract.

This can work but only if Disney drops direct prices as well. The ones that will plummet on resale are the ones people are less likely to buy direct overpriced.

Also as prices drop on resale the math skews more towards resale than direct. Maybe at $50/point you buy direct for BLT, $75/point you start to lean resale, but $100-$125/point you are squarely buying resale. For 300 points it would take a long time to make up $30k based on AP vouchers.

I've booked almost all my trips for 1BR at 6-7 months using SSR points, but I don't travel at peak times.

If I were buying points now for this plan, I'd go VGF. Very long contract, good value for money long term, resale value hit hard in recession, easy 11 month for sure, and that 1BR is the nicest on property.

If VGF is too much upfront, I'd take SSR over AKL or OKW, because of the value of the contract.
That’s why it’s great that there are different resorts.

To me I would pick AKV over ssr and okw but not any size contract. I already own akv but a small contract. I use that strictly for club and value studios.

My SAP are BLT and SSR.

To me I would pick AKV over ssr and okw but not any size contract.

I think they are saying SSR specifically because of value of points not anything else. Pretty much everyone's charts point to SSR as the best deal. Then it usually comes in to play that people opt for AKV which has also been a great deal simply because if they get stuck staying at home they want AKV.

That’s why it’s great that there are different resorts. To me I would pick AKV over ssr and okw but not any size contract.

This is math, not resort preference. I own SSR and have never even been there. 1BR is the easiest 7 month booking for SAP, and SSR is at or just off the top for long term value for points in most calculations. I went SSR because I don't travel at peak times, and I've been happy with availability using cheap SSR points.

FWIW, we own at BLT. We chose BLT for the proximity to MK (can't beat the short walk) and the extra bathroom in the 1 and 2BR units.

We book 1BR or larger for our family of 4. The extra bathroom at BLT/Kidani is worth it!

We've stayed at OKW and SSR also, but found them to be just ok. Of those two, we prefer OKW.

We loved our stay in a 2BR unit at VGF, but the cost would keep us from buying there. We had no trouble booking our 2BR unit at 7 months with our BLT points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter