Is Staying off site cheaper? looking for suggestions.

I've never stayed at WBC, but for kicks I checked and it was $313/nt.

That's because you're probably looking at the Wyndham site. Most of us are renting from owners, either directly or through larger rental companies. We go through the larger companies for our comfort level so we pay more than some deals that folks get working directly with individuals, but for an example, we're staying at WBC in a 2 bedroom next week (spring break/Easter season) for about $175 a night for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, full kitchen, washer and dryer unit with no hidden resort or parking fees.

That's because you're probably looking at the Wyndham site. Most of us are renting from owners, either directly or through larger rental companies. We go through the larger companies for our comfort level so we pay more than some deals that folks get working directly with individuals, but for an example, we're staying at WBC in a 2 bedroom next week (spring break/Easter season) for about $175 a night for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, full kitchen, washer and dryer unit with no hidden resort or parking fees.
Well, in all fairness I was just quoting the Disney price too. So if you want to look at WBC that you'd get at a discount, then it's prudent to compare to how one would get Disney at a discount. You seem to pay about 1/2 the WBC price, and I tend to pay about 1/2 the Disney price. So you either compare rack to rack or substantially discounted to substantially discounted.
Because it is when you price the right places ;) We just know where to look. Start comparing rental homes and condos, that's where you save your money.
Ok, there are places that cost less. We already know that. But this brings us back to the apples-apples thing.

Last edited:
It's a matter of what you want and what you're looking for. You're right, it's not apples to apples...

To me, if a small room at the cheapest hotel on WDW property (I think it's All-Star, but whatever) is an apple, then a 3 bedroom condo off site is a full fledged cornucopia of fresh fruits, drizzled in chocolate and served on a silver platter. I agree that basic hotel room on property vs basic hotel room off property can be similarly priced (which even that you can find better deals off site). However, if you're off site, personally I don't see the reason to settle for a puny room when you can have every last comfort of home for 1/2 the price or less? But you really can't compare apples to apples when it comes to renting a house on WDW property, there is no such thing...at least that I'm aware of.

So I wouldn't want the apple, I'll take my fruit salad, thanks. :D

Well, in all fairness I was just quoting the Disney price too. So if you want to look at WBC that you'd get at a discount, then it's prudent to compare to how one would get Disney at a discount. You seem to pay about 1/2 the WBC price, and I tend to pay about 1/2 the Disney price.

Ok, there are places that cost less. We already know that. But this brings us back to the apples-apples thing.

The only person really talking about apples to apples is you ;) Who cares? The bottom line is staying off site is cheaper, period. Are there differences? Yes. No one said there wasn't. In fact, I think most of us pointed out that there are, but said that despite those differences, it's a) still cheaper b) still better (for those of us who prefer off-site). Those who prefer on site may feel that it's better, and that's their rightful opinion. But to somehow try and say that off-site isn't cheaper? Can't. Because 99% of the time, it will be cheaper. About the only time it may not be cheaper is when you stay in a Value Room with free dining. And even then, it may still end up being cheaper off-site, when you remember that you're forced to buy more expensive tickets in order to get that "free dining", and you have to pay full rack rate for the room.

The only person really talking about apples to apples is you ;) Who cares?
Um...
When comparing equivalent accommodations (apples-to-apples), offsite is FAR cheaper
;)
Your position seems to be very different from BigredNole's, in that you accept that you can get cheaper accommodations, but for very different experiences. I agree w you. I made no mention of on- or off-site being "better". I was just commenting that this post here was indicative of how people over generalize in saying that When comparing equivalent accommodations (apples-to-apples), offsite is FAR cheaper. It's not.
The bottom line is staying off site is cheaper, period. Are there differences? Yes. No one said there wasn't.
Yes, that's exactly what he said by saying "equivalent accommodations".

Apples to apples with a discount...a 2 bedroom DVC unit is about 300 points for our week at SSR or OKW (OKW is right across the street and we were staying there when we finally said "hey we should check out what Bonnet Creek is about" after driving by the entrance multiple times a day...so that's pretty apples to apples to me).

So, since we sold our DVC we'd need to rent points. We have a good friend who is still an owner that we could get cheap points from, but I still wouldn't ever feel comfortable giving them only $4 per point to meet our price point for WBC. Even at, say, $10 per point which is well below the current going rate of $14 per point, it still more than double what we are paying at WBC. And the AP discount through Disney for a 2 bedroom the same week at OKW? About $4500. Cash rate? $6700.

But in all honesty, it is what your priorities, needs, and desires are. We're AP holders, so the parking fee is moot for us. EMH is not a big deal for us. And as a regular mass transit rider, I don't love the lack of firm schedules in the Disney bus system so we prefer to get a car. So for us, off site is a great fit. It certainly isn't the same great fit for everyone.

Um...

;)
Your position seems to be very different from @BigredNole 's, in that you accept that you can get cheaper accommodations, but for very different experiences. I agree w you. I made no mention of on- or off-site being "better". I was just commenting that this post here was indicative of how people over generalize in saying that When comparing equivalent accommodations (apples-to-apples), offsite is FAR cheaper. It's not.

Yeah. That's exactly what he said.

Somehow I missed his post. My apologies. I agree with the previous poster (and I guess you) who says that there really isn't any such thing as apples to apples when it comes to on and off site, unless you're looking strictly at the room/accomodations only, not at the perks etc...

Just as an FYI, you can book a throw away room, and stay off site and get better accomodations, save money, and still get to enjoy EMH.
What is a throwaway room? We are British so are not always familiar with the terminology used on Disboards, sounds intriguing.

What is a throwaway room? We are British so are not always familiar with the terminology used on Disboards, sounds intriguing.
It's the idea of staying offsite, but also paying for a cheap Disney room like a campsite to get access to the perks. Then -- just never using the campsite.

If you book a throwaway room, won't it only let you book 60 days out for the equal number of days of your throwaway visit? If I booked one night at a camp site, wouldn't I only then be able to book one day of FP+ 60 days out?

If you book a throwaway room, won't it only let you book 60 days out for the equal number of days of your throwaway visit? If I booked one night at a camp site, wouldn't I only then be able to book one day of FP+ 60 days out?
You'd be able to book 2 days of FP+, since you get FP eligibility for both your check-in and check-out day... provided you have APs or ticket media linked, etc etc. You could also utilize EMH on those 2 days, buy a 1-day Dining plan if you so desired, and plan it to where that's your expensive-meal day. You could even consume the points from that 1-day DDP over the two days. There are massive threads on it in the TPAS forums. Check them out for the full scoop.

Last edited:
Mmmm sounds interesting, will look into campsite costs. We usually 10th to 26th December so we would want a 'throw away' room for the whole stay as the EMH are almost daily after the first week. Thanks for the info :-)

Mmmm sounds interesting, will look into campsite costs. We usually 10th to 26th December so we would want a 'throw away' room for the whole stay as the EMH are almost daily after the first week. Thanks for the info :-)

You can book 60 days out for your entire trip. So, for example: we booked a 1 night throw away campsite for our 7 days at Disney. We were able to book the first 2 days (arrival and check out days) at the 60 day mark. Then each day after that, we could book our FP+ 60 days out. So we booked June 25 & 26th on April 26th. Then we booked June 27th on April 28th (60 days), June 28th on April 29th and so on.

If you get a throwaway campsite for your entire trip, then you'll be able to book all your FP+ for the entire trip on the 60 day mark. The throwaway room will give you your free parking, free Magic Bands (you'll have to stop and physically check in to the resort to pick them up since you live outside of the US I believe), your 60 day FP+ booking, your EMH, your 10% discount etc... Depending when you travel, a campsite is a low as $55, so it is typically very well worth it. You figure that a set of 4 Magic Bands cost around $75, 7 days of parking is another $140, that's $215 in value right there. Say you shop and spend another $500, you've just saved another $50, so $265. Then of course you have the value of being able to book FP+ early and attend EMH.

I'm not a expert but I think I have read that "throw away reservations" have been around for a number of years (on the internet news spreads like wild fire)

IIRC they are frowned upon by folks who really want to camp out but can't because it is sold out etc.

OK this maybe a stretch but sometimes "loop holes" have consequences.

As far as this thread goes it appears there are some people who prefer onsite to offsite and vise versa. Whatever floats your boat y'all.

Last edited:
You can book 60 days out for your entire trip. So, for example: we booked a 1 night throw away campsite for our 7 days at Disney. We were able to book the first 2 days (arrival and check out days) at the 60 day mark. Then each day after that, we could book our FP+ 60 days out. So we booked June 25 & 26th on April 26th. Then we booked June 27th on April 28th (60 days), June 28th on April 29th and so on.

If you get a throwaway campsite for your entire trip, then you'll be able to book all your FP+ for the entire trip on the 60 day mark. The throwaway room will give you your free parking, free Magic Bands (you'll have to stop and physically check in to the resort to pick them up since you live outside of the US I believe), your 60 day FP+ booking, your EMH, your 10% discount etc... Depending when you travel, a campsite is a low as $55, so it is typically very well worth it. You figure that a set of 4 Magic Bands cost around $75, 7 days of parking is another $140, that's $215 in value right there. Say you shop and spend another $500, you've just saved another $50, so $265. Then of course you have the value of being able to book FP+ early and attend EMH.

I'm confused...someone said a throwaway room only lets you book FP+ 60 days out for check in and check out days. So if you book just one night at a campsite, you'd get 2 days of FP+ at 60 days. But then you said you booked all 7 of you days at the 60 day mark, even with just one on site night. How does that work? We've got a very long trip coming up...if you tell me that I can book a bunch of days of FP+ at the 60 day mark and all I have to do is buy one campsite night, I'm all in. But I'm confused.

IIRC they are frowned upon by folks who really want to camp out but can't because it is sold out etc.

OK this maybe a stretch but sometimes "loop holes" have consequences.

Yeah, as a camper, this. I've personally seen the empty sites during prime seasons when the campground is booked solid months in advance. And I get that it really doesn't make a difference to Disney since it is the same money in their pocket, and as a paying reservation holder it is up to you what you do with your reservation, but it still is a bummer that folks who really want to camp can't get a reservation. Fort Wilderness does book completely, and regularly. I think this is much less of a problem with the Value resorts since they have an enormous inventory...but I'm sure it could still happen as well.

Anyway. that's my .02. If y'all are thinking of doing this, there is a huge thread about all of the specifics pinned on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board. (and please consider choosing a Value to do it with ;) )

I'm confused...someone said a throwaway room only lets you book FP+ 60 days out for check in and check out days. So if you book just one night at a campsite, you'd get 2 days of FP+ at 60 days. But then you said you booked all 7 of you days at the 60 day mark, even with just one on site night. How does that work? We've got a very long trip coming up...if you tell me that I can book a bunch of days of FP+ at the 60 day mark and all I have to do is buy one campsite night, I'm all in. But I'm confused.

Probably best to ask this on the Throwaway thread.

For those of you that stay offsite, do you find it hard to get FP and ADR that you want?

For those of you that stay offsite, do you find it hard to get FP and ADR that you want?

No.

Even when I stay onsite I am never booking at 180 because I don't decide to go until 120 or less. I've picked up BOG, probably one of the hardest, a week out. DS got us California Grill during fireworks, day before. Just keep checking at different times and odds are you can get most of what you want.

FP+, yes new rides are tough after the 60 day mark but they are very few. And we have actually picked them up very last minute, or we do rope drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter