• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the last week of August a bad time to visit WDW?

dizfan0134

Earning My Ears
So, I've been to WDW plenty of times at different times during the year and was wondering what everyone's take is on the last week of Aug. I know this week is generally the week most students go back to school in FL, but I'm not sure if this has an actual impact on wait times/busyness. Also, I would assume it's still pretty hot during this time, but does it generally cool down a little bit with it being later in the summer? Any help is greatly appreciated!

So, I've been to WDW plenty of times at different times during the year and was wondering what everyone's take is on the last week of Aug. I know this week is generally the week most students go back to school in FL, but I'm not sure if this has an actual impact on wait times/busyness. Also, I would assume it's still pretty hot during this time, but does it generally cool down a little bit with it being later in the summer? Any help is greatly appreciated!

It doesn't cool down until some time in Oct, but crowds that week will be some of the lowest of the summer.

If tradition holds, MK will already be having MNSSHP, so you would have several days with MK closing at 6:00 p.m.

It's extraordinarily hot, but not very crowded. We've gone the last week of August for the past 8 years and love it. If you don't mind the heat, it's a great time to go.

We used to go the last week of August when my kids were in school because they didn't start until after Labor Day. We found crowds were light to moderate that week. Honestly, I didn't think it was any hotter/more humid than it was at home (New England).

It is peak hurricane season and in general it will be rainy and humid. Crowd wise I think it would be better because most kids have returned to school. So if you get travel insurance and don’t mind the rainy afternoons then go for it

We were there this past August. It's HOT, but if you drink lots of water and are able to tolerate the heat it's totally manageable. The indoor rides and queues that are inside are a sweet reprieve, and it's a GREAT excuse to have more than one dole whip during the day LOL. Crowds are pretty low, many warm weather states are already back in school by that time. Epcot will be busy on the weekend that Food & Wine fest start, but otherwise the parks should be pleasant. It is the start of hurricane season (last year our trip got cut short by a few days because of Dorian, only because we were supposed to fly out the day it was making landfall in FL and my kids were starting school the next day, we couldn't really risk being stuck there extra time).

We've done it twice and enjoyed both trips. Crowds are low to moderate. The last time we did late August the day before Labor Day got crazy packed in the MK. Other than that we felt crowds were pretty low.

It is hot and humid but we managed fine and I hate the heat. We did RD, midday breaks by the pool and back to a park in the evening.

We've been several times in August and each time I say, "Never again in August!" Somehow we keep going then...

I like to say Disney in August is like being in a sauna on the surface of the sun.

We've done end of August for the past few years. The crowds feel much lower then other times of year, but is hot and humid... even at night. We go for two weeks and take our time. I would hesitate to recommend this time unless you tolerate heat well.

Way back in the day when my son was in school that was always the time we went. I think we may have been once or twice since then during that time. Yes, it is still hot and you are just about guaranteed rain every day. I wouldn't worry about hurricane season, it's hit or miss (get it). Disney handles a hurricane better than anyone.

That's a week we like too. It's hot, some parts of the parks are hotter than others (Toy Story are is like lava hot, for example) and so we make sure we do those things after dark or first thing in the AM. Plan plenty of pool time in the afternoons and you'll be fine!!

I've never been there for a hurricane, but have on three trips been there on the tail end or beginning. In the end, Disney plans well and adapts to hurricanes. You're biggest problem will not actually be while there, it will be if a hurricane affects flights to Orlando (from isn't so bad, you'll be at Disney longer...)

I've only done late August once.... being from the pacific northwest the heat and humidity were oppressive, but we took midday breaks back at the resort and then went out again in later, and had some of the loveliest evenings in any trip. One of my all time favorite WDW memories is sitting by the fountain in Germany, eating pretzels with my Nephew at twilight, when the evening lights started to come on.

Weather-wise yes, not a great time to go. Crowd-wise no, shouldn't be heavy crowds.

We were there the week in question this past August. We cut our trip short by 5 days and went home because a hurricane was forecast. We didn't have the option of getting stuck. We absolutely had to get back home on our scheduled day back (major work commitment). This was the third time in about eight years that we've had to scramble to make travel changes because of hurricanes. The end of August and all of September can be tricky.

That is when we are heading down...last weekend of August, first week of September. I'm not looking forward to the heat and humidity but I'll be prepared for it. If memory serves correctly, aren't there usually short storms during the day? Can someone confirm that?

That is when we are heading down...last weekend of August, first week of September. I'm not looking forward to the heat and humidity but I'll be prepared for it. If memory serves correctly, aren't there usually short storms during the day? Can someone confirm that?
Yes, usually in the afternoons.

That's the week we usually go. It's outrageously hot, we always rope drop, leave the parks around noon and go back around dinner time. It's oppressively hot. If you don't like that kind of weather, it might be a pretty miserable week. On the bright side, the crowds aren't bad at all. Even taking a four hour break in the afternoon, we're able to do everything we want to do in a week and with two kids, we're moving pretty slow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter