Is there anything more depressing than a kids menu?

Everyone needs to have an opinion on everything these days – even things that don't impact them at all. It's exhausting.
The issue is that there are people out there that actually feed their kids food other than the four items that they have everywhere in the quick service restaurants. The lack of variety of anything decent to eat is a problem. Kids deserve to have a variety of food just like the adults do. Majority of counter service restaurants have the same four items. Imagine just eating for things your whole trip and that's it. This is an issue and more people should be complaining about it.

I don't agree with that at all. It's not the child, unless you're talking about babies that are still having food introduced to them. But any toddler age kid and older, can eat pretty much anything. Kids all over the world are not fed mac and cheese and chicken strips. They eat whatever their parents are having. This whole mentality that kids are incapable of eating other foods is a western mentality and has no merit to it, especially since you consider that these foods only became the "norm" around two decades ago. Before that we all grew up eating whatever mom gave us and that did not include chicken strips and mac and cheee. You might get mac and cheese as a side dish occasionally but it was never a main dish for children because it doesn't have the complete nutrition that kids need. This mentality of kids only being able to eat certain items is marketing at its finest. We do our kids a disservice and limiting them. I imagine most people would be amazed at what their kids would eat if only they were given a wide variety from the beginning.

But they can eat that - it's on the adult menu.

This is an additional option to menus and are truly for kids whose sensory palette or appetite is not ready for adult food.

There's no requirement for kids to order from kids' menus and as mentioned, mine currently don't. These menus also feature cheaper to create food, and thus allow more families to eat out and give those who derive more pleasure in more adult foods a way to afford all of their family members eating...aka - my 3 year old was as happy or happier eating $5 mac and cheese vs $30 fish plates...

It's not a menu designed for adults to eat cheaper at lower portions. Those were always senior menus at restaurants, and have only been offered at select restaurants in select places.

If your kids are happy eating adult food, order it for them and have either 2 kids share, bring home the extra, or eat family style and share everything, so portions are what each person desires.

But they can eat that - it's on the adult menu.

This is an additional option to menus and are truly for kids whose sensory palette or appetite is not ready for adult food.

There's no requirement for kids to order from kids' menus and as mentioned, mine currently don't. These menus also feature cheaper to create food, and thus allow more families to eat out and give those who derive more pleasure in more adult foods a way to afford all of their family members eating...aka - my 3 year old was as happy or happier eating $5 mac and cheese vs $30 fish plates...

It's not a menu designed for adults to eat cheaper at lower portions. Those were always senior menus at restaurants, and have only been offered at select restaurants in select places.

If your kids are happy eating adult food, order it for them and have either 2 kids share, bring home the extra, or eat family style and share everything, so portions are what each person desires.
What are you talking about? Kids meals are supposed to be smaller meals appropriate for the child's stomach size. Like it has been up until a couple of decades ago. It has nothing to do with sensory issues. I don't even know what you mean by that I'm assuming you're talking about kids with sensory issues. But it's not like they can't have a couple of those items on the menu AS WELL AS normal foods in smaller portions like they used to have before the last two decades. And children with sensory issues is a small percentage of actual children. It's not like all kids have an issue with eating a wide variety of food. This is a learned behavior by parents in this country. Almost nobody over the age of 40 was fed this stuff growing up we all ate what our parents ate. And then as a treat every once in awhile we would go to McDonald's and get chicken nuggets but that was rare. Disney has tens of thousands of kids + every year. Only offering the same four items that almost all of their quick service is insane to me. Especially since most of them are pretty nutritionally devoid. The real reason why they serve this crap is because it's cheap and people are putting up with it for some reason. We should all demand better for our kids especially when it comes to proper nutrition.

What are you talking about? Kids meals are supposed to be smaller meals appropriate for the child's stomach size. Like it has been up until a couple of decades ago. It has nothing to do with sensory issues. I don't even know what you mean by that I'm assuming you're talking about kids with sensory issues. But it's not like they can't have a couple of those items on the menu AS WELL AS normal foods in smaller portions like they used to have before the last two decades. And children with sensory issues is a small percentage of actual children. It's not like all kids have an issue with eating a wide variety of food. This is a learned behavior by parents in this country. Almost nobody over the age of 40 was fed this stuff growing up we all ate what our parents ate. And then as a treat every once in awhile we would go to McDonald's and get chicken nuggets but that was rare. Disney has tens of thousands of kids + every year. Only offering the same for items that almost all of their quick service is insane to me. Especially since most of them are pretty nutritionally devoid. The real reason why they serve this crap is because it's cheap and people are putting up with it for some reason. We should all demand better for our kids especially when it comes to proper nutrition.

But you seem to reject the option of just ordering your kid the adult food...no restaurant anywhere has to offer a kid menu, nor do adults have to order their kid food from just that menu.

I could see protesting if you were forced into that purchase, and maybe during the dining plan days, you felt effectively forced into it. But now, you can order anything you want anywhere you want for your child. If you want your child eating the prix fixe adult menu items, just pay for them as an adult. If you want them to have the adult CS option, just order that.

Disney is too expensive. That's true for everything there. But on this issue, it's amazing they even still have a kid menu, seeing all their other spiralling price increases. I mean, during the height of Covid, many restaurants nationwide took away their kid menus b/c they couldn't afford to offer them at limited allowed dining room capacities, and not all have brought them back.

But you seem to reject the option of just ordering your kid the adult food...no restaurant anywhere has to offer a kid menu, nor do adults have to order their kid food from just that menu.

I could see protesting if you were forced into that purchase, and maybe during the dining plan days, you felt effectively forced into it. But now, you can order anything you want anywhere you want for your child. If you want your child eating the prix fixe adult menu items, just pay for them as an adult. If you want them to have the adult CS option, just order that.

Disney is too expensive. That's true for everything there. But on this issue, it's amazing they even still have a kid menu, seeing all their other spiralling price increases. I mean, during the height of Covid, many restaurants nationwide took away their kid menus b/c they couldn't afford to offer them at limited allowed dining room capacities, and not all have brought them back.
No, we actually did order adult meals for our kids growing up. But the issue is we shouldn't have had to because kids meals are supposed to be smaller versions of adult meals that are size appropriate for their smaller stomachs. That's how it had always been up until the company decided that it will save them money to start feeding kids horrible foods. It's so much cheaper for them to give mac and cheese instead of them getting some roast chicken and mashed potatoes. I completely understand the restaurant's point of view on this because they're all about the money. My issue is why the parents are not demanding better kids meals for their children. Ordering adult food is much more expensive than ordering the kids meals. Smaller portion meals should be cheaper for kids. This is not some crazy, new concept. This is what the norm was for a long time. And this has nothing to do with covid close down, this is a downward spiral train of feeding the same four or five unhealthy items has been going on for, like I said, the last couple of decades. It was not an issue before that.

Was never a problem for us, but we are not adventurous eaters either. My DS would happily eat the same food all week! He took the same lunch to school every day for a year. I have sometimes ordered kids' meals when I didn't want a lot of food. Columbia Harbor House has grilled salmon on its kids menu. I get the kids fish and chips at Universal when I want a light meal.

What I really want to know is why there are so many people that are so against Disney offering other healthier, normal food options as kids meals. Not to get rid of what they have now but in addition. So that those kids that don't eat or don't want to eat the same four things everyday have better options. Everybody is so quick to defend the meals they have now but if the opposite was happening and your child didn't have anything to eat you would be upset about it too. If you went there today and they got rid of all mac and cheese and chicken strips, y'all would it be having a fit. But as soon as somebody who doesn't want that food makes a comment then you all start attacking. Why?

What I really want to know is why there are so many people that are so against Disney offering other healthier, normal food options as kids meals. Not to get rid of what they have now but in addition. So that those kids that don't eat or don't want to eat the same four things everyday have better options. Everybody is so quick to defend the meals they have now but if the opposite was happening and your child didn't have anything to eat you would be upset about it too. If you went there today and they got rid of all mac and cheese and chicken strips, y'all would it be having a fit. But as soon as somebody who doesn't want that food makes a comment then you all start attacking. Why?
Maybe write an email to Disney suggesting an alternate selection than the fab 4 (chicken nuggets, pizza, burger, mac n cheese). They could have the same selection at every CS. Maybe a vegetarian plate and a roasted chicken/potatoes plate as a child's portion.

I don't think this is a problem for most people as you can get around those choices with some planning. There are usually healthy snacks available at some of the carts like grapes, bananas, etc. You can get apple slices or grapes iirc as a CS lunch side. For CS, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot has a large variety of things to choose from. Columbia Harbor House at MK has some good kids choices. Satuli Canteen or Flame Tree BBQ could work at AK. Not sure about DHS as we typically never eat CS there because it is meh for everyone.

Maybe write an email to Disney suggesting an alternate selection than the fab 4 (chicken nuggets, pizza, burger, mac n cheese). They could have the same selection at every CS. Maybe a vegetarian plate and a roasted chicken/potatoes plate as a child's portion.

I don't think this is a problem for most people as you can get around those choices with some planning. There are usually healthy snacks available at some of the carts like grapes, bananas, etc. You can get apple slices or grapes iirc as a CS lunch side. For CS, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot has a large variety of things to choose from. Columbia Harbor House at MK has some good kids choices. Satuli Canteen or Flame Tree BBQ could work at AK. Not sure about DHS as we typically never eat CS there because it is meh for everyone.
I have written to Disney about it but they definitely need to hear it from others. I think that it is just easier for some to just let it go for their vacation. And the point is not that it is possible to get around it, it's that we shouldn't have to. Why is the automatic to feed these 4 items instead of healthier, normal, non processed food? That is what I am really baffled about. The amount of people that put up with this horrible food instead of demanding better for our kids.

We never really had an issue when ours were younger with this - though we did tend to eat more at table service restaurants on our trips than quick-service. My guys had noodles and terriaki chicken at Yak and Yeti, picked whatever food they wanted from the Tusker House buffet, ate the BBQ family style meal at Whispering Canyon, the fried chicken at Hoop de Doo, and the shrimp skewers at Ohana. There are a lot of options via quick-service, too (whether Mickey Check meals or just ordering an "adult" QS entree and splitting it. I have one kid who would happily eat chicken nuggets at every meal and one who would prefer seafood and asparagus - we were always able to find something for everyone, though it took a little planning in advance to pick the best restaurants or QS locations for our family. Nearly all kids' menus offer standard faire like mac and cheese and chicken nuggets, but kids can get things like a chicken salad or tuna sandwich at Columbia Harbour House. There are a lot of options at the parks!

Personally never had an issue at Disney finding what my son likes. Disney also will serve what is listed on the Adult menu less the sides. I know with Mobile ordering this has been more difficult. My son for will eat things most adults will not even those who claim to eat a lot of different things. He is also free to have a burger if he wanted...... At the ripe age of 9 on a cruise he ordered fish every night fron Barrel fish to Salmon and had Frog legs as an appetizer... At 5 he ordered a shrimp Kids meal --- at Disney-- left the fries and asked for more shrimp. Never truly had a problem finding something he would eat if we had to pay more for something we would. For the record I would not expect a Kids meal for 6- 8 to include salmon although at whispering Canyon it was 10.00 (likely more now) but certainly not enough to put a dent in his stomach at 8 or 9.... Kids meals come with a small entree, a small side, drink and Dessert. I am from the though to order what you want and those days he wnated a burger or Chicken strips I got away cheap same goes for adults Chicken strips and burgers are cheap and large portions order fish you get a much smaller amount at a bigger price..... But as I said above you could always order the Fish minus the fries at QS and be close to the cost of Kids meal anyway.

YES, I think the adult menus are pretty depressing compared to what they use to be! We ate at Kona and there was really nothing on the menu I wanted. No steak, no coconut chicken 😢 really nothing that sounded good. Tried to find something interesting on any Magic Kingdom resort restaurant, nope, had to go to Disney Springs.

I have written to Disney about it but they definitely need to hear it from others. I think that it is just easier for some to just let it go for their vacation. And the point is not that it is possible to get around it, it's that we shouldn't have to. Why is the automatic to feed these 4 items instead of healthier, normal, non processed food? That is what I am really baffled about. The amount of people that put up with this horrible food instead of demanding better for our kids.
They won't be hearing from me. I have no issues with the kid's menu.

Maybe it's a question of socioeconomic differences, but I just can't see myself saying "hey son, I know you want the hot dog for $5.99, but wouldn't you much rather this "kids" version of the lobster thermador for $29.99? I'll pay the extra for you, even though you likely won't care or appreciate it."

I do wish they had the Impossible Burger (like a kid's size impossible burger) on the kids menu. I actually do eat kid's meals probably 1/3 of the time at Disney so I feel like they are pretty good.

Well the chicken noodle soup at HBD was way under seasoned but to be honest that seems to happen at some of the adult options as well.

They won't be hearing from me. I have no issues with the kid's menu.

Maybe it's a question of socioeconomic differences, but I just can't see myself saying "hey son, I know you want the hot dog for $5.99, but wouldn't you much rather this "kids" version of the lobster thermador for $29.99? I'll pay the extra for you, even though you likely won't care or appreciate it."
No that is just being silly. There's a huge variety of food between hot dogs and lobster thermador. Instead of processed breaded chicken strips how about some rotisserie chicken and green beans. You know, more normal home cooking food. That is what I am talking about.

I like places that have kids menus that are just smaller, simplified versions of the adult menu.

Unfortunately for someone like me, those places are too few and far between. I have a small appetite and order kids meals often at CS places. But sometimes it's difficult to find anything besides mac and cheese, pb and jelly, pizza and/or chicken nuggets. But I understand-they're kids meals, meant to appeal to kids. So I don't complain, just be glad when I find offerings like at Satu'lli Canteen.

No that is just being silly. There's a huge variety of food between hot dogs and lobster thermador. Instead of processed breaded chicken strips how about some rotisserie chicken and green beans. You know, more normal home cooking food. That is what I am talking about.
Meh. We eat relatively healthy at home. 7 days per year of processed food - that they like to eat anyway - isn't going to affect them in any negative way. They are on vacation, too!

Disney tried to change up kid's menus awhile ago. They either switched out some of the basic foods with more "adult" food or they totally redid the menus and got rid of the basic stuff.

There was an uproar on these boards. It was crazy. It was obvious that more people (on these boards) wanted the basic kids menus then the new and "improved" menus.

And the items were soon switched back. My guess? Money. The basic stuff sells better and costs less. The new stuff cost more and wasn't selling as well so they were not making money. NO matter what you think, no business is going to keep something that loses them money (unless it is a loss leader like the chicken at Costco but meals at a restaurant don't really fall into that).

Disney tried to change up kid's menus awhile ago. They either switched out some of the basic foods with more "adult" food or they totally redid the menus and got rid of the basic stuff.

There was an uproar on these boards. It was crazy. It was obvious that more people (on these boards) wanted the basic kids menus then the new and "improved" menus.

And the items were soon switched back. My guess? Money. The basic stuff sells better and costs less. The new stuff cost more and wasn't selling as well so they were not making money. NO matter what you think, no business is going to keep something that loses them money (unless it is a loss leader like the chicken at Costco but meals at a restaurant don't really fall into that).
I think that is a big part of it - if it doesn't sell enough it won't stay around long on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter